The Amazon Prime Not Topgear Show That From Now On Will Be Called "The Grand Tour"TV 

• Thread starter fortbo
  • 1,091 comments
Trailer for last episode in Dubai:

The Grand Tour: Past v future is the finale episode of season 1.For the final show of the series, the Grand Tour is in Dubai. Jeremy Clarkson and James May introduce a battle between their own, personal cars. Jeremy champions the past with his Volkswagen Golf GTI while James makes a case for the future with his electrically powered BMW i3. Meanwhile, Richard Hammond is in France learning how to drift a car like a pro, and James is sent to a damp part of England to take part, against his will, in a strange sport called winching. Plus, the recently deceased Bugatti Veyron takes part in a drag race against the current hypercar speed champion, the Porsche 918 Spyder.

Seems like quite a lot of cars involved here, but I'm not sold on James' segment. Sounds pretty pointless like the spinning bit in Ep 1.

I've really enjoyed this episode. The first film was entertaining. It reminds me of some of the older challenges from Top Gear. The winching bit was kinda boring, but not too bad. The drag racing bit was like any other drag race. The drifting film was interesting. I wish there was more depth to it rather than just "look at me spin around". I felt like the whole episode was just a shallow in terms of actual content. I wish they went more in depth with the i3 v GTI and the drifting segment.

In other news, James May finally had permission to say...

Oh cock

I enjoyed this episode and the entire season. I hope they get rid of Celebrity Brain Crash and let The American speak his own mind about the cars though. I enjoyed the car reviews and conversation street and would like to see more of the former like there was in the early seasons of Top Gear.

If GT wants to make James May do something he doesn't want to, they should make him be a Co-Driver at King of Hammers.

Very enjoyable episode, the series on a whole has been good.

Also, James May-'this is a bit better, when i say a bit better i mean less ****'

:lol::lol::lol:

As eye-roll inducing as Celebrity Brain Crash has been, I thought this was by far the best one. I laughed hard when all the "blood" splattered on the tent window. And then James going out to clean it off was perfect. :lol:

Okay episode I thought. Not the greatest, but not their worst either. The Golf vs i3 was very Top Gear-ish in how simple but entertaining it was. More of that please. The wincing bit was boring as expected. Surprisingly I quite liked the drifting lesson - anything with less stunt drivers and more of them actually driving (and failing) is good. The drag race was alright. Would be more amazing if they assembled several hypercars together and the Patrol beats them all :lol:

I liked the bloopers bit at the end. They should make the credits show the bloopers for every episode 👍

It's been off to a rough start but if they can take all the criticisms for Season 2 and be less dependent on scripts we'll be in for a treat once they get all the kinks ironed out. Now for some TG action in the intervening period :P

In other news, James May finally had permission to say...

Oh cock

I was surprised when he said that. I thought it was one of the phrases copyrighted by the BBC.

Watched the last episode, and I noticed something: With the Golf vs. i3 bit, they do the drag race. And May set the cones to be not as far. I was thinking that May thought of how electric cars have enormous torque from a complete stop, so the i3 will accelerate off the line faster than the Golf, and it did when Clarkson set the cones farther out. And of course May clearly mentions the i3 has enormous torque from zero, but he glosses over the fact that he set the cones much closer initially. So in reality May pretty much knew he was going to lose to the Golf after the initial meters since the Golf clearly builds up speed over a longer distance. And I think Clarkson knew that the Golf will pull slowly towards the i3 and beat it from sheer speed. But May put on a surprise act when he saw the Golf getting closer and passing him.

I know this isn't really anything worth noting, but I happened to get hung up by it as I continued watching the episode, so yeah...

Also a nice background on the Nissan Patrol

edit: Also does anyone know when Series 2 will start up and air?

...A small collection of promotional behind-the-scenes look:

Just showed up in my recommended list all of a sudden today.

Just finished the series, already looking forward to the next set of episodes. Not perfect, but far from bad.

...Hmm. Wonder if the boys had learned from the previous season's failings. There were too much "ups and downs" as far as the overall quality's concerned.

Plus, the last season of TG proved to be surprisingly watchable with what I presume was 1/10th of the budget. I'd be surprised if Amazon didn't urge the trio to be.... more frugal with the needless expenses.

Hammond has been airlifted to Hospital after being involved in a car wreck in Switzerland...

He lost control of a Rimac Concept One at the Hemberg Hillclimb, going through a barrier at a tight corner and coming to rest some 100m down the bank. The car caught fire after he had escaped.

Hammmooooond!!! You idiot!!

Hope he's ok!

Flipped a £2million super car in a mountain race on closed roads in Switzerland,

DB-QE57VoAAZfQv.jpg:large

Edit: Sounds pretty serious.

Edit:2 Or maybe not.

Clarkson adds.

Last edited:
The cause was him driving wayyyy too fast into the corner by the looks of the video on Youtube. Thankfully no serious injuries to anyone.

Latest Posts

Back