The Amazon Prime Not Topgear Show That From Now On Will Be Called "The Grand Tour"TV 

• Thread starter fortbo
  • 1,091 comments
I think the main problem with the last episode is it feels like an extended segment of their old format. We were expecting a grand adventure with beater cars, and they haven't done a good one since the Mongolia special. I know it's hard with the travel restrictions and such, so it's not wholly their fault.

Doubt it'll happen as long a Wilman is writing the scripts though.

Wilman doesn't write the scripts, does he? I was under the impression it was mostly Richard Porter (who I enjoyed seeing in the French episode!) along with Clarkson, Hammond, and May. You're right though, it won't change as long as Wilman is at the helm and I don't imagine they want it to given how many viewers they still get.

Last edited:
Wilman doesn't write the scripts, does he? I was under the impression it was mostly Richard Porter (who I enjoyed seeing in the French episode!) along with Clarkson, Hammond, and May. You're right though, it won't change as long as Wilman is at the helm and I don't imagine they want it to given how many viewers they still get.
If RP is the same one who wrote the rally race... that was incredibly boring, and every joke played was something from the past.

If RP is the same one who wrote the rally race... that was incredibly boring, and every joke played was something from the past.
I did a little bit more reading on this and he may be a script editor now rather than the main writer, I'd need to watch the actual credits on the episode to tell for sure though

The Grand Tour: The Website (also known as DriveTribe) is being shut down.

After all the money they poured into poaching big-name writers from magazines and sites (and then sacking them all off inside a year), that's that.

Oh, it's also all being deleted as well, so all you people who spent hundreds of hours creating stuff for them and building your tribes... bye bye, I guess.

Doesn't bode well for TGT itself, which is incredibly expensive and... crap.

It's a shame that the DriveTribe YouTube channel is far better than the The Grand Tour which has a considerably higher budget (at least it is in my opinion). I beleive the YouTube channel will keep going despite the website shutting down.

Last edited:
Yeah, can see it towards the end in the trailer. Glad he's alright after that accident. Shame they for some reason needed to purposely drown and crash that quite legendary car few times before the accident. Suppose to be funny, I guess.

Looks like a new episode is out - A Scandi Flick
In their first post pandemic road trip, Jeremy, Richard and James head for the icy wastes of the Scandinavian Arctic Circle. At the wheel of their three favourite rally cars the boys embark on a catastrophe filled adventure that takes in Cold War sub bases, frozen lake race tracks, crashes and ski resort chaos as they drag their homemade houses from the coast of Norway to the Russian Border.

Last edited:
Just watched it. It was not funny, the format is old and tired, and the whole thing kinda sucked.

I actually quite enjoyed it; the James May crash was brutal but the fact that the Evo came back from the dead twice was astonishing and I got a good laugh at Hammond trying to get up the ski slope.

Felt like a return to form for them after that terrible France special.

Last edited:
I actually quite enjoyed it; the James May crash was brutal but the fact that the Evo came back from the dead twice was astonishing and I got a good laugh at Hammond trying to get up the ski slope.

It was just more of the same to me aside from May's crash which was awful.

Watched it today. I'm glad these are free to watch for Prime members, because each one is more forgettable than the last.

Time to call it quits, boys.

I'm still at odds as to which genius approved that tunnel challenge, let alone running it without a helmet or a neck brace at the minimum. And that crash wasn't something they could script either, unlike the later 'accident' at the lake.

I enjoyed it overall, I didn't find it as funny as the French special but I still laughed out loud at some bits. The crash was absolutely brutal though, that was definitely not what I expected to see.

Same, I felt it seemed like a return to form of sorts. Nothing matches the earlier seasons of the rebooted Top Gear but I enjoyed it more than some of the other more recent specials.

I haven't got a chance to watch the episode yet, but they've uploaded a video of Hammond and May talking about the Evo and STI and the accident

I haven't got a chance to watch the episode yet, but they've uploaded a video of Hammond and May talking about the Evo and STI and the accident

Ahhh, I was really hoping the Evo will be rebuilt, but apparently it didn't live for much longer after this vid was filmed :(

I honestly enjoyed it myself outside of the tunnel crash. Yes, the format is showing its age and the scripting is well obvious like a lot of the late season stuff is, but I still laughed at some of the jokes. They're going to eventually stop doing these even, so I enjoy them for what they are.

It was dull, I have no issue with scripting but I do have an issue with predictability and it was exactly that, predictable. The cars were good, the challenges were lame, it ran for about half an hour too long and I think the format has totally lost it's charm.

They're better off sticking to their own stuff, James Mays travel shows have both been excellent in Japan and Italy, Clarksons Farm was excellent and in terms of car stuff, there's plenty of YouTube channels that, for me personally, deliver much better content, Car Throttle, Auto Alex, Car Wow, all better car shows.

If you are looking for a old Top Gear/Grand Tour style specials with some freshness in it try Car Trek on Tavarishs channel. They already at 8 Car Treks and 9 will be here soon.

Car Trek 1:
Playlist overview with all stuff from Tavarish and Car Trek 1-8: https://www.youtube.com/c/tavarish/playlists

I didn't even realised there was a new Grand Tour episode out before stumbling over the reunited video on youtube yesterday. Watched scandi flick immediately and yes it was a bit meh. Very good cars, very nice location but the challenges and some jokes were a bit meh and nothing surprising happened. Everything a bit sad but I guess we won't be coming back to the old stuff like the USA and Vietnam-specials or even the shorter stuff like racing to Mexico with Clarkson in the LFA or the car vs train/plane/bike stuff in Japan, London, etc.

It was dull, I have no issue with scripting but I do have an issue with predictability and it was exactly that, predictable. The cars were good, the challenges were lame, it ran for about half an hour too long and I think the format has totally lost it's charm.

They're better off sticking to their own stuff, James Mays travel shows have both been excellent in Japan and Italy, Clarksons Farm was excellent and in terms of car stuff, there's plenty of YouTube channels that, for me personally, deliver much better content, Car Throttle, Auto Alex, Car Wow, all better car shows.
They just need to go back to doing real challenges, with a bit of scripting.

Polar Trek
US Special
Botswana
Bolivia

etc etc

These all had elements of scripting, but they were still real. You can't script those overall journeys, nor were many of the individual elements like crossing rivers, building bridges. Just stick to putting James' tent on a crane for the scripted bits, not the entire thing.

Last edited:
The Evo crash wasn't even the worst thing in it.

That "honour" goes to the CGI exhaust flames during the ice lake race. It looked Bollywood.
Bollywood you say. Reminds me of the worst scripted TG special in India. Boy, was that bad. They cannot act.

Back