The Amazon Prime Not Topgear Show That From Now On Will Be Called "The Grand Tour"TV 

• Thread starter fortbo
  • 1,091 comments
Near faultless car and location combo this time around. Too bad the few decent non/less-obviously contrived moments that were enjoyable got swept aside in favour of protracted skits with no obvious set-up. It sucks to see all the elements for a great road trip broken up by chunks of the same old lameness.

The ski lift bit alone felt like it dragged on longer than any of the good TG specials.

If you are looking for a old Top Gear/Grand Tour style specials with some freshness in it try Car Trek on Tavarishs channel. They already at 8 Car Treks and 9 will be here soon.

Car Trek 1:
Playlist overview with all stuff from Tavarish and Car Trek 1-8: https://www.youtube.com/c/tavarish/playlists

I didn't even realised there was a new Grand Tour episode out before stumbling over the reunited video on youtube yesterday. Watched scandi flick immediately and yes it was a bit meh. Very good cars, very nice location but the challenges and some jokes were a bit meh and nothing surprising happened. Everything a bit sad but I guess we won't be coming back to the old stuff like the USA and Vietnam-specials or even the shorter stuff like racing to Mexico with Clarkson in the LFA or the car vs train/plane/bike stuff in Japan, London, etc.

I haven't watched that, but I would also recommend checking out Car Throttle.

Variety: Amazon to Part Ways With Jeremy Clarkson After Final Batch of Commissioned Shows Go to Air; Clarkson Says He Emailed Harry & Meghan to Apologize (EXCLUSIVE).

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Clarkson's Farm will be the bigger loss for me.

Last edited:
Amazon haven't said anything yet but it has been reported that they will severe ties with him over his controversial newspaper column about Harry and Meghan.

Grand Tour has been dead for a few years though.

Yes but the show has been terrible for at least the past two years.
The last episode (Scandi Flick) was the first one I have enjoyed for years, all the recent specials have been absolutely woeful (in my opinion anyway).

For the most part though I have been underwhelmed by The Grand Tour from the start. I hoped the big budget and free reign would take the trio back to their prime, but if anything it seems to have exacerbated the flaws.

Shame if Clarkson's Farm goes though: the first season of that was unexpectedly great.

I'm honestly not too fazed about the idea of The Grand Tour being cancelled for good this time, there's about 22 seasons of Top Gear with those 3 together doing silly things to enjoy in addition to the content given on The Grand Tour. Plus, given how it took between each TGT special in the recent years; that series was probably nearly out the door anyway.

But yeah, I would miss seeing another season of Clarkson's farm.

The Grand Tour returns next month, with Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May traveling through Central Europe. The special, called Eurocrash, will stream on Amazon Prime Video on Friday, June 16. Amazon has shared very few details about the special, but a trio of teaser images provides a peek at what the boys will be driving.

Hammond, with his love of Americana, will pilot a Chevrolet SSR, which briefly existed from 2003 to 2006. Depending on the model year, it came with either a 5.3- or 6.0-liter V8 engine. Unsurprisingly, it’s not the most audacious vehicle in the group, with Clarkson driving a wild-looking Mitsuoka Le-Seyde, a creation from the mid-90s based on the Nissan Silva S13 (Nissan 180SX). May is in the equally as odd Crosley convertible, a car made in Ohio from late 1930 until the early 1950s.

It's ok, some good jokes, some not so, a bit lacking of "action" so just sth more happens apart from roadtripping, you get a bit of a feeling James and Jeremy don't want to do "stuff" anymore. There were far better episodes in the past. As a fan you'll enjoy the 3 blokes as long as we still have them.

Last edited:
It was a thing. The actual destinations they were going to were largely irrelevant to the theme of the episode. The Great Escape museum was legitimately cool but you could have said they were filming the rest of it anywhere and I would have believed you for the other places they went. Also was kind of let down by how they showed all of the cool history of Eastern European cars and then they actually looked at... two.

On that topic, the cars themselves... basically barely seemed present. The only one that seemed like it was in the spirit of traditional Top Gear challenge nonsense was May's. Hammond's and Clarkson's cars were definitely stupid, but they were modern reliable cars that looked to have been in good condition to the extent that everything involving them seemed pretty much forced (I actually rolled my eyes at Hammond's overheating at the end) to try to offset how terrible May's truly was.

Latest episode was OK; not as good as "Scandi Flick" in my opinion but mostly watchable. Looked like a few genuine laughs, but a lot of unsubtle (arguably lazy) scripting and jokes you could see coming a mile off.

A lot of reports in the last 24 hours saying that Clarkson, Hammond and May have left The Grand Tour.

Nothing confirmed by Amazon though.

Clarkson posted on Instagram pretty nonchalantly that The Grand Tour wasn't being made anymore, but Clarkson's Farm would continue. Seems odd for a show of that size to just fizzle out with no fanfare.

The return of Top Gear!?
I doubt it and, if I am perfectly honest, I can't see how that would be anything but a disappointment at this point.

TGT has had its moments but, in my personal opinion, hasn't consistently delivered anything like the peak of Clarkson/May/Hammond Top Gear. Going back to a small scale BBC operation would - again, in my personal opinion - be like scraping the barrel at this point.

TGT has had its moments but, in my personal opinion, hasn't consistently delivered anything like the peak of Clarkson/May/Hammond Top Gear.
Agreed. The GT40, 037 and fast Ford retrospectives were amazing (I did also really like the Colombia special and Carnage A Trois), but everything else was just completely forgettable, to the point where I'd need to refer to the Wiki list of episodes to be reminded of what happened in them. Even when TG flailed towards the end with being too predictable, it still made more of an impact.

Agreed. The GT40, 037 and fast Ford retrospectives were amazing (I did also really like the Colombia special and Carnage A Trois), but everything else was just completely forgettable, to the point where I'd need to refer to the Wiki list of episodes to be reminded of what happened in them. Even when TG flailed towards the end with being too predictable, it still made more of an impact.
The GT40 and 037/quattro features are easily the best of TGT in my mind. "A Scandi Flick" was definitely my favourite special/trip episode, as it seemed to have a few really genuine laughs (and a very genuine crash) in it.

You mention it, but I think people seem to have forgotten that TG was in decline before Clarkson got binned off. The last couple of seasons prior to the departure of those three were pretty lackluster (though the final episode did contain one of my favourite moments, as World RX got a feature!).

I thought Amazon didn't renew Clarkson's contract because he wrote some mean things about Princess Merkel or something? I assume Hammond and May aren't keen on doing the Grand Tour without Clarkson.

I thought Amazon didn't renew Clarkson's contract because he wrote some mean things about Princess Merkel or something? I assume Hammond and May aren't keen on doing the Grand Tour without Clarkson.
That was just press noise wasn't it? Didn't they confirm more Clarkson's Farm* after those stories came out?

Sure that all three of them have gone on record at various points in time saying they wouldn't do it without the other two. Amazon waving a big cheque might change that but, at this point, I don't think any of the trio are desperate for cash.

(*Side note: Clarkson's Farm is vastly superior to The Grand Tour)

That was just press noise wasn't it? Didn't they confirm more Clarkson's Farm* after those stories came out?

Sure that all three of them have gone on record at various points in time saying they wouldn't do it without the other two. Amazon waving a big cheque might change that but, at this point, I don't think any of the trio are desperate for cash.

(*Side note: Clarkson's Farm is vastly superior to The Grand Tour)
Correct, just the press doing press things. Season 3 is streaming next year and Season 4 has just been confirmed.

As above, that was just fake news and noise, and given that they've just renewed his contract for a 4th season of Clarksons Farm it's obvious he hasn't been dropped.

They've spoken about their days doing TGT coming to an end sooner rather than later before, at the end of the day Clarkson and May are both in thier 60's and they all have other passions and projects. So I think it's just that they want to move on to other things.

It's a good call IMO, I agree entirely with @tbtstt, TGT hasn't been as good as TG was at it's peak. Everything got a bit too scripted, or at least, too obviousely scripted in later season of TG and in TGT though they still had thier moments. I'll still look forward to the two remaining TGT specials coming out next year.

Back