The BBC F1 coverage thread (Legard out. Brundle and DC in.)

• Thread starter jammyozzy
  • 400 comments
They don't need a presenter. Just to start the show five minutes before the start of the race, say hello, run through the grid, and then go racing.

It would be cool if they had Murray Walker on board to do at the introduction at the start of the first race, after "The Chain" had finished playing of course!

They don't need a presenter. Just to start the show five minutes before the start of the race, say hello, run through the grid, and then go racing.

Agree with that. A few years ago I had to tape the GP for whatever reason, and it didn't record the sound cause my VCR was purchased for the L.A. Olympics. Didn't mind no sound one bit. Just put microphones on every apex instead of those stupid in-ground cameras that show you the black underneath of a car for 0.004 seconds and we'd be set.

Agree with that. A few years ago I had to tape the GP for whatever reason, and it didn't record the sound cause my VCR was purchased for the L.A. Olympics. Didn't mind no sound one bit. Just put microphones on every apex instead of those stupid in-ground cameras that show you the black underneath of a car for 0.004 seconds and we'd be set.

And of course the in-car mic for the in-car camera.

It would be cool if they had Murray Walker on board to do at the introduction at the start of the first race, after "The Chain" had finished playing of course!

I enjoy the pre-race build up, it helps explain any current events in the paddock and allows some interesting features on regulations, rules or general technical stuff.
No-one forces you to watch the build-up, btw.

BBC have confirmed their new "line-up" for the 2009 season and guess what? Murray Walker is back! :cheers: ... albeit in internet form - he will be online for interactive Q&A sessions, apparently. David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan will be 'pundits' (probably in a similar role to Hansen and Lawrenson on 'Match Of The Day') whilst Martin Brundle will co-commentate, which I'm quite pleased about since I think he's done a great job at ITV. Ted Kravitz is on board, too, which is a surprise.

Article...

That sounds like an excellent line-up. 👍

I thought Ted did a decent job at ITV. The only thing that annoyed me is he would sometimes talk over the pit radio broadcasts, and that is hardly his fault as he wouldn't know the pit radio was on if no one told him.

In the RTL feeds, they manage to shut up in time (it's their only good thing, I guess). They usually show the message on-screen for a few seconds before they start the actual radio broadcast.

In the RTL feeds, they manage to shut up in time (it's their only good thing, I guess). They usually show the message on-screen for a few seconds before they start the actual radio broadcast.
Yes, James and Martin usually shut up beforehand, but Ted can't see the message, and no one bothered to tell him pit radio was on so he'd, unknowingly, talk through it.

Yes, James and Martin usually shut up beforehand, but Ted can't see the message, and no one bothered to tell him pit radio was on so he'd, unknowingly, talk through it.

Actually Ted is very good with the pit radio, close to brilliant I'd say considering he's working in the pits.

Our (finnish) guys don't seem to bother with pit radio, even the guys up in the box, and if they do then half the time they don't understand what was said anyway.

Sometimes the RTL guy Christian Danner misses the start because he likes to finish a sentence about how awesome Vettel/Rosberg/Sutil/Glock/Heidfeld are. But usually, they translate it as well.

BTW - am I the only one noticing that during a regular race, Alonso's radio is the most commonly played one?

BTW - am I the only one noticing that during a regular race, Alonso's radio is the most commonly played one?

Probably because he's the most likely driver to say some controvsial? Either that or laugh hystericly when a hot-shot ex-teamie drives up your behind and causes next to no damage to your car. ^^

Good to see they kept Martin! he did an excellent job for ITV and always gave interesting and exciting commentary... so who's is he co-commentating with?

Robin

Someone's had a go at creating what the BBC F1 intro might look like:

Top notch stuff 👍

^Now that better be the BBC intro!!! I'm going to be really disappointed if its not as good as that!

Oh man, if the intro doesn't have The Chain then I'm going to be so P.O.'ed. And I don't even get to watch it on TV!

But lets be fair, with iPlayer and the fact nearly all TVs will have be to digital-enabled soon enough, BBC3 isn't exactly the back of beyond.

Fair point, unless you are a Southerner and aren't forced into the digital world until 2012! It doesn't affect me, but I think it's still a point, until everyone has BBC3, the highlights of the race should be on FTA TV.

So no more "This programme is unavailable in your region" when I try to sneak onto Setanta Ireland for practise sessions? :)

Back