The Best and Worst Vision Gran Turismo Cars (In your Opinion)

• Thread starter Cowboy
  • 104 comments
My least favorites are those from Mitsubishi, Subaru, Toyota and Lexus - they all felt like pre-existing concepts that were slightly tweaked. Granted, you could say that the Lexus LF-LC GT VGT served as a preview of the LC500h GT300, and I could also say that the Toyota VGT was part of the process that turned the FT-1 into the GR Supra. But Subaru and Mitsubishi don't seem too memorable in comparison, whereas I would've preferred to see the Lancer Evolution and WRX STI envisioned as prototype racers. Honestly, I just love it when VGTs can actually be eligible for a given group, whether it's the Toyota VGT in Gr.3 or the Hyundai N2025 VGT that fits into Gr.1, which is why I'm genuinely looking forward to the Gr.1 version of the Genesis VGT.

Also to note is that while I'm definitely a fan of the Jaguar VGT Coupe and Roadster, I don't like how the VGT SV is a pure EV and not a hybrid, and as such, it's ineligible for Gr.1. It's especially notable when more recently, we're seeing a lot of automakers backpedal a bit on EVs in favor of HEVs/PHEVs. But since some automakers - including Jaguar and Peugeot - have created additional VGTs, maybe Jaguar will create a fourth VGT, where I'd hope it'd more or less be a hybrid version of the SV.

Last edited:
Best :
Alpine VGT.
The first concept of the brand in his modern resussurection. The le Mans heritage. The 2 flaps made specifically for the rear view camera (before the SRT goes too much with this).

2015_Alpine_VisionGranTurismo-2-1024.jpg

Worst :
The tuned Mini Countryman. Even the Beetle Gr 3 look more like a VGT than this car without interior view.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
My favourite is the Suzuki, both standard and Gr3 variants as they are the spiritual successor to the GSX-R/4 which was a really fun car and a bit of a Gran Turismo legend. They look good and are believable, if somebody really wanted one and paid enough it feels like Suzuki could build one of those right now.

The Mercedes deserves a shoutout too for being the original, that car is over 10 years old now and if they redesigned it today it would be nothing like that, it's interesting to see how manufacturers visions of the future has changed over that time period.

It's not a VGT and it's not in GT7 but I want to give the original Red Bull X2010 (or X1) a mention because aside from the timescale it fits the criteria for VGT to the letter, it gained loads of mainstream interest with a car being designed by one of the greatest aerodynamicists in F1 history and it came with linked events in game with the greatest F1 driver of the time and was the ultimate theoretical racecar.

My least favourites are those with the over exaggerated stats like the Tomahawk or the cars which look more like yachts, (Genesis, Infiniti, Italdesign, etc).

Among the best ones I'd have to give a shoutout to the Audi e-tron for being the only EV in the game with usable mileage on a single charge, I've used it on the Sardegna WTC 800 and it pulls off 1st place with two stops rather comfortably.

Design-wise the prize goes to the Nissan 2020 concept's back end. Honestly that's the only one of the VGT program's designs I liked to see.

Sound-wise the Alpine VGT is on top, that V8 just sounds too good.

The VGT I get the most use out of is the Tomahawk S, for when I can't be bothered to put effort into a road car race event.

Overall best: Alpine, any variant, they all do the job they were made for and sound good doing it.

Overall worst: Daihatsu. I mean... I just can't see a good use for it.

Aside from the BMW VGT being the undoubted best of the best, I think most of the VGT's are pretty good to drive. The Porsches and the Jaguars suffer too much from massive power and little handling, the Subaru's power understeer is annoying, the Chapparel is interesting to drive, though not enjoyable, and I rarely ever drive the Tomahawk X or GTS (but being a meme car aside, the S is actually quite a bit of fun).

I like the Mitsubishi, the Honda, the Iso, the Infiniti and the Suzuki in particular.

My full order:

Mazda
Jaguar Roadster
Jaguar Coupé
Jaguar SV
Porsche
Porsche Spyder
Alpine
Alpine Race
Alpine 2017
Volkswagen Supersport
Mercedes-Benz
Mercedes-Benz Racing
Suzuki
Škoda
Bulgari
Genesis
Hyundai
Ferrari
Bugatti
Mitsubishi
Mini
Lexus
Peugeot
Chaparral
Italdesign Street
Italdesign Off-road
Aston Martin
BMW
Honda
Nissan
Daihatsu
McLaren
Lamborghini
Audi e-tron
Peugeot L500R
Peugeot L750R
Dodge X
Dodge S
Volkswagen Roadster
Hyundai Gr.1
Infiniti
Subaru
Zagato
Fittipaldi
Audi Gr.1
Dodge Gr.1
Dodge GTS-R
Toyota
Mercedes-Benz LH
Peugeot Gr.3
Suzuki Gr.3
Mazda Gr.1
McLaren Gr.1
Bugatti Gr.1
Volkswagen Gr.3
Toyota Gr.3

My personal favorites are the Mercede, McLaren, Mazda, Dodge, Bugatti, Audi, Chaparral, Genesis, Hyundai, Jaguar, and Lamborghini. I haven't tried the Skoda yet but I bet I will like it. Personally I like the Vision GT project. Yeah they have been hit or miss but some of these cars are really cool and I will be sad to see the project end.

Last edited:
I’m surprised the Zagato is soo low on people’s list! It’s brilliant at 700pp events
I just think others have better designs and are just as fun to drive
I didn’t really rank how good they are for events cuz that’s not how I use most of em

Edit: Only VGT I use for their performance are Mazda, VW Supersport & Porsche

Last edited:
Am I the only person who prefers the Italdesign Off-Road Mode? I’m live in Texas and it really reminds me of a Donk. I see them everywhere! 🤣 I think it’s fun.

Last edited:
Am I the only person who prefers the Italdesign Off-Road Mode? I’m live in Texas and it really reminds me of a Donk. I see them everywhere! 🤣 I think it’s fun.
I ran a few laps of each back to back a while ago, found the Off Road mode to be quite a bit faster on a road course...

Italdesign Exeneo Offroad2:15.556
Italdesign Exeneo Street Mode2:19.977

The ones that have some perceptible link to the brand they are associated with...and the Bulgari because it still feels somewhat rational and the design is totally rad.

Mazda LM55 (Mazda channeling its Spirit R)
Suzuki Vision GT (Instantly recognizable as a Suzuki)
Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo - (Stunning to look at, but really disappointing it doesn't have an interior)
Bulgari VGT (Probably the best one of the lot)
Genesis X Gran Berlinetta Vision Gran Turismo Concept (Extremely pretty, but way too overpowered)

The rest are basically interchangeable for me.

Last edited:
The Vision Gran Turismo webpage says this:
The project started with a question from Kazunori Yamauchi: "Would you be willing to design your rendition of Gran Turismo for us?" The videogame’s name "Gran Turismo" (GT) refers to a 2-door sport car, known as a Grand Touring car in the automotive world.
Grand touring cars are meant for long distance driving, combining performance and comfort. Therefore, I'm gonna say that any VGT car with a single-seat layout or no luggage compartment is a bad VGT car.

Last edited:
The Tomahawk X is the single most important VGT in the game. There, I said it. Probably the source of a good 90% of my credits :lol:

Beyond that, though? The Lexus was probably responsible for giving us the sparkly colour shifting paint, which I often use, and the Honda's blue looks really good on my RX-8.

The Suzuki VGT is kinda cool, mostly because it spawned a Gr.3 variant. It has something I don't feel in the Peugeot and Bugatti VGTs, but I can't put my finger on what exactly.

Most VGTs I find drive horribly. There are some VGTs I get out of and think, "eh, it's passable", but most are just rage inducing, like no one ever playtested them before release. Real cars ironically drive much better than those flights of fancy made specifically for the Gran Turismo games. The fact that most of them can hardly be customised performance wise really makes it hard to justify their million credit asking price.

The most egregious I think is the Chaparral. Some argue that VGTs don't take away much manpower and resources from PD to implement into the game, but the Chappy's propulsion system and weird downforce couldn't have been easy to implement and update.

If PD would allow us to customise and tune these VGTs and loosen event restrictions a little, I think that would make VGTs a lot easier to swallow for me personally.
I see...

The worst VGT is the Tomahawk. Hands down. The VGT program is at its best when the designers look at what cars could actually be like in the future. With the Tomahawk, Dodge threw that out of the window and just went dumb - maximum speed, maximum grip, maximum acceleration... When other designers stopped to look at what could be and design around that, Dodge basically surveyed a bunch of tweens and went with whatever they said. You could also throw the Chaparral in with this one (another American brand... There may be a correlation here).

The best VGT would be, for me, the Audi e-tron.

I ran a few laps of each back to back a while ago, found the Off Road mode to be quite a bit faster on a road course...

Italdesign Exeneo Offroad2:15.556
Italdesign Exeneo Street Mode2:19.977
Yeah. I never recorded times of each. I just don’t like how Street Mode handles. It feels very unstable under heavy braking. Off-Road Mode feels pretty stable considering how tall it is. It’s also a beast in WTC 800.

Last edited:
Best one is definitely the Ferrari VGT, as much as I dislike spaceships, it looks awesome and it's a Ferrari
Worst one is the Mitsubishi VGT, just a very wide ASX, massive disappointment and a disgrace to Evolution name. They were told "you can make everything", but they still made a crossover.

I see...

The worst VGT is the Tomahawk. Hands down. The VGT program is at its best when the designers look at what cars could actually be like in the future. With the Tomahawk, Dodge threw that out of the window and just went dumb - maximum speed, maximum grip, maximum acceleration... When other designers stopped to look at what could be and design around that, Dodge basically surveyed a bunch of tweens and went with whatever they said. You could also throw the Chaparral in with this one (another American brand... There may be a correlation here).

The best VGT would be, for me, the Audi e-tron.
I won't dispute the argument that the Tomahawks are childish, stupid concepts, because I feel the same.

There's just a sweet irony in that caricature of a car being crippled and exploited to farm credits quickly; a purpose it was almost certainly never intended for. That makes it the single most useful VGT to me, and I have gotten infinitely more mileage out of the Tomahawk Xs than any other VGT in the game, and still continue to do so when I don't feel like setting up my rig just to get a daily workout roulette ticket.

And, hey, at least they let you customise the Tommy's gearbox. So many VGTs won't even let you touch anything aside from tyres, ballast, and power restrictors.

Love to see a poll on this

I like the chaparral and Mazda lm55 the most.

I don't like the ones that can't be adjusted and have concept car proportions like the Mitsubishi

I’d say the Suzuki is my favourite
It’s one of the few Vision Gran Turismo concepts that I can envision as a full production car
As for least favourite, probably the Chaparral 2X. It feels like their designers just did three all-nighters coked off their ****ing minds and decided to permanently ruin the VGT programme by creating what is essentially a car from WipEout on wheels

The top ten best in my opinion:
  1. Bugatti
  2. Toyota
  3. Genesis
  4. Ferrari
  5. Porsche
  6. Mazda
  7. Lamborghini
  8. Peugeot
  9. Aston Martin
  10. Nissan
Back in GT6, the Toyota FT-1 VGT was my personal favorite VGT, but has since been overtaken by the Bugatti because of my affinity of them, and plus it led to the Chiron. The Genesis was one of the more recent VGT's that I had a lot of fun with as its performance exceeded my expectations.

The top ten worst VGT's I believe are (hierarchy of the worst of the worst to somewhat intolerable):
  1. Daihatsu
  2. Mini
  3. Italdesign
  4. Suzuki
  5. Chaparral
  6. Volkswagen GTI Supersport
  7. Mitsubishi
  8. Peugeot L500R
  9. Honda
  10. Infiniti

Ranking them from Best to Worst according to their performance and usefulness in events
No Bulgari in your list ?

I really enjoy driving the Bulgari, and I like its look that is not all hyper-aero spaceship.

Regarding the look, the Copen is horrendous.

No Bulgari in your list ?

I really enjoy driving the Bulgari, and I like its look that is not all hyper-aero spaceship.

Regarding the look, the Copen is horrendous.

Oh yeah, forgot the Bulgari and the Porsche.

Bulgari is somewhere in the top 10. Enjoyable and also useful. Porsche? Hmmmm... somewhere in the 11th, I'm afraid. I like how it accelerates but by the gods, it's not a great choice for endurance events and not to mention the chassis can't handle well (ironic considering Porsche is a household name for chassis dynamics)

Here is my two cents on the VGTs as I only really experienced them properly through GT7.

GOOD VGT's:

JAGUAR VGT SV (Sounds and looks cool - take note Aston martin)
RX VISION GT3 (Mod or Steatlh version - great gindiy car and fast, well balanced)
MAZDA LM55 VGT (Fast and solid runner - nice design too)
PORSCHE VGT - (Spyder looks cool - all electric bit meh but Zingy)
CHAPPERAL 2X VGT - (its sounds crazy and goes like a freeakin spaceship - TT was dumb though)
GENESIS X Gran Berlinetta VGT Concept - (Car looks very cool and goes like the clappers - bit slidey)
DAIHATSU COPEN RJ VGT (On a dirt course it fun as hell- slidey fun - it quirky)

and onto the.......

BAD VGT'S (in No particular order):
SKODA VGT (Newest & crappest - very understeery & crap braking)
ASTON MARTIN DP-100 VGT (Old look - Fugly and bloated - Slow too)
GTI SUPERSPORT VGT (Bloated show car - stupid)
MINI CLUBMAN VGT - (Dont want a obese ugly BINI, really PD)
BUGATTI VGT - (It became the Chiron, and that unlocked in the game, so it no really unique imo)
FERRARI VGT - (it's ugly w/dome like wheelarches, thought it wud be quicker, but it seems meh)
M-Benz VGT Racing Series - (It's soo dated looking, like a f-up toy car, wish we had the AMG ONE over this crap)
BMW VGT - (No interior view and just feels liek a CSL on stilts - Could have tried harder Beemer)

Well thats all that come to mind there are others like the Honda, Suzuki and Italdesign but they are not so prevalant in my book. Those Manufacturers need to try harder to stand out in this field of design glory and engineering.

jaguar-vgt-sv.jpgsuzuki-vgt-gr.jpg

Back