The Best "Reasonable" Roadster (formerly "Affordable")

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 200 comments
  • 33,071 views

What is the Best Roadster Available on the Road Today?

  • Pontiac Solstice (GXP)

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Saturn Sky (Red Line)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Opel GT (VXR?)

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • BMW Z4 (M-Roadster)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Porsche Boxster (Boxster-S)

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Mazda MX-5

    Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Honda S2000

    Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Caterham Seven SV

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Lotus Elise (Elise Sport)

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • TVR Tamora

    Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Shelby CSX 8000 (Cobra 289 street-spec)

    Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Wiesmann Roadster

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • OTHER

    Votes: 1 1.1%

  • Total voters
    90
Arent they still building the Aero 8 with wood like the origional? That might cause some safty concerns here in the US. But I'm sure Morgan uses the same kit-car loophole as Noble, selling the cars without engine or transmission, allowing the car to pass into the country without smog, sound, or safety regulations...
 
Yeah, I think they are wood framed still.

*EDIT* Just looked it up and they are wood framed with a aluminum skin.

live4speed
In the US it's over $100k to get one, over here it's £49k, so a bit expensive to be included in this list, but your paying for some serious performance and an image that's quite something.

and $228,000 here :scared:
 
YSSMAN
Arent they still building the Aero 8 with wood like the origional? That might cause some safty concerns here in the US. But I'm sure Morgan uses the same kit-car loophole as Noble, selling the cars without engine or transmission, allowing the car to pass into the country without smog, sound, or safety regulations...
Part's of it are wood, the whole thing isn't. It shouldn't give anyone any safety concern's, they're solid and quite safe car's. The wooden part's aarn't anything to be concerned with.
 
We,, you don't have too many 6000lb+ trucks driving around with young 20 and 30-something females drinking their Starbucks and yapping on heir pink Motorola Razrs... Damn people in Forest Hills, it is a sad day when you hate your own kind...
 
"The Aero 8 is incredibly strong and safe, and has passed all crash test criteria with flying colours."

It's the same chassis as the Aero8 GTR that races in the British GT, it's most certinaly strong enough to keep it's occupants as safe as they're likely to be in an open top Sportscar.
 
The wood thing is just Morgan's heritage. Kinda like how Porsche refuses to "fix" the 911's rear-engine layout.
 
And everyone will agree, Porsche does a great job of making it work, well so does Morgan.
 
I agree, but there are still plenty of people who worry about the wood.

...I know they sell Morgans here in the US, but I've never seen one. Must be pretty rare then.
 
Yep only 35 sold in 2005.
 
In the USA.
 
I think the Morgan is pretty much more popular in Europe, but then again, I could care less. They're ugly in my eyes, and I would much rather have any other convertible.

The only convertible on those FUGLY Golden Zimmers.
 
Personally, in terms of value-for-money, I would prefer the older 1989 Mazda MX-5. It looks good and has almost-perfect handling for an FR vehicle. They're only about $3,000.00 here too. Too bad it only has 128HP, that's less than an old Daewoo Lanos.

The newer generations of the Mazda MX-5 are uglier, heavier, and far too expensive.
 
128hp is pretty good when a car weighs less than 2400 pounds. A quarter mile time in the mid 16's won't break any world records, but it's more than enough acceleration to keep you entertained on twisty backroads, which is what the MX-5 was designed to do in the first place.
 
I've been thinking about buying my Uncle's 1996 Miata M-Spec in BR Green with the tan leather interior... But, I havent decided yet... That would mean I would have to sell the Jetta, and that would be sad...
 
YSSMAN
I agree, but there are still plenty of people who worry about the wood.

...I know they sell Morgans here in the US, but I've never seen one. Must be pretty rare then.


I've seen one at a dealership in Birmingham, it was like Auto Europe or something. They sell exotics and what not, last night when I went by there they had 4 Elises, a Lambo something or other, and an M5
 
The S2000 isnt affordable....$50,800 CDN is hardly affordable. Twice the average income of Canadians.

I voted for Saturn Sky. Nicest looking roadster around.
 
GT4_Rule
The S2000 isnt affordable....$50,800 CDN is hardly affordable. Twice the average income of Canadians.

I voted for Saturn Sky. Nicest looking roadster around.

Well, I was thinking in terms of US Dollars... I think the car goes for about $35-ish here, a pretty good deal...
 
Sage
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word “affordable” that I wasn't previously aware of. (With apologies to Douglas Adams.)

No apologies to Douglas necessary (still a tragic loss though :( ), a fabulous use of an amazingly good original quote! (albeit "affordable" substituted for "safe"!) +rep for that alone! 👍

Affordable relative to what? I make ~$70 - 80K per year, therefore a $50K isn't affordable. However, to some folks $50K is a drop in the ocean and to them why would you buy an MX-5 when you can buy the extra status of the Boxster or an Elise?

But, to elaborate.... the MX-5 Miata is by far the most easily accessible roadster, to most people simply because it's the most modern longest running roadster on the market. I know there's still old roadsters out there like Spitfires and MG Midgets that can be had cheap, but with an all round driveability and safety taken into account, the Mazda is far and away the winner. Your average Joe can afford a MX-5 Miata, but even an S2000 or Z4 is almost twice the price, then you go up from there....

It depends what you need. The Mazda will quite easily break the speed limits of most countries in under 10s. Anything extra you spend means you can break the speed limits quicker, but you're paying lots of extra cash for power you can't use (unless you're lucky enough to own an airstrip or a racing circuit, or you live in Germany!) To my mind, owning a roadster is about being able to go out, drive a fun FR car, with the top down as much as possible.
From personal experience, anything over about 85-90mph with the top down, and no crash helmet becomes unpleasant.

I LOVE the S2000, in GT4, and would have loved one in real life, but there's no way I could have picked up one for the $7900 I spent on my MX-5.
The TVRs are absolutely :drool:some but I can't buy one here, nor could I safely justify spending the asking price if they did.

The Solstice and Sky, are based on proven Elise/VX220 running gear (I think, although I'm probably wrong) but are priced for the US market, far lower than most of Europe and the rest of the world, and therefore are good value here.
But they're still playing catch-up as far as appeal goes to the Miata, which has over 15-years experience on them.

Condraz23
Personally, in terms of value-for-money, I would prefer the older 1989 Mazda MX-5. It looks good and has almost-perfect handling for an FR vehicle. They're only about $3,000.00 here too. Too bad it only has 128HP, that's less than an old Daewoo Lanos.

Actually the '89 Miatas only had the 118HP 1.6L engine. You have to look a few years down the line for the upgrade to the 1.8L engine with 128HP. :sly:
128HP is enough for some tail-hanging fun given the right roads and right conditions. Guaranteed, you're not going to win any 1/4 mile contests in a straight line in one, but who's interested in straight lines anyway? :confused:
Remember, power is nothing without control. :D

One notable OTHER, is the Toyota MR2 Spyder! What about that? A nice affordable little roadster.
Although in terms of practicality, it's 1.9 cu.ft cargo capacity is hardly a useful car! At least with the Miata, I can take me, the Missus, a tent, 2 sleeping bags, camping mattresses, a bag large enough to fit 2 changes of clothes, 2 cycle helmets and get 2 mountain bikes on the bike rack, and keep the top down, on a camping trip (usually with a winding wiggly road involved for good measure!)
Half the fun of a roadtrip is getting there, right? :)
 
Smallhorses
The Solstice and Sky, are based on proven Elise/VX220 running gear (I think, although I'm probably wrong)

Yeah, you were wrong. A lot of people still make the mistake, as the Solstice/Sky/GT are all based on the new Kappa platform which is baisicly a mini-Y-body (Corvette/XLR).

It surprises me how little some people know about the cars, and how most people assume they are based on the European models, not Europeans based on American ones. Its not a problem, I just find it funny.

Now how long is it going to take for Vauxhall to modify the Opel GT for sale in the UK?
 
YSSMAN
Yeah, you were wrong. A lot of people still make the mistake, as the Solstice/Sky/GT are all based on the new Kappa platform which is baisicly a mini-Y-body (Corvette/XLR).

It surprises me how little some people know about the cars, and how most people assume they are based on the European models, not Europeans based on American ones. Its not a problem, I just find it funny.

Well, it is a rather safe assumption. There are more cases of European GM cars being rebadged and sent to america than there are cases of american GM cars being rebadged and sent to Europe... ;)
 
I know it's probably been said before but....

MX-5

/thread
 
I completely agree, and I don't have a problem with people being wrong, I just have to make sure that I correct them if they say so. I don't want to be an ass, I just want to make sure they arent when they talk about the cars either.

...Origionally we were supposed to get a version of the VX220/Speedster for Pontiac by the early '00s (or atleast Motor Trend had said so), but plans fell through once they realised how expensive it was going to be, and how they might have to call it a Fiero because of the MR setup (lol).
 
YSSMAN
...Origionally we were supposed to get a version of the VX220/Speedster for Pontiac by the early '00s (or atleast Motor Trend had said so), but plans fell through once they realised how expensive it was going to be, and how they might have to call it a Fiero because of the MR setup (lol).


Thats exactly what happened here, we were supposed to get the VX220 as a Holden, even the newspapers published it. Plans fell through.
 
hmmmm affordable has been stretched.... I took a Boxster. would really take a cayman for only a few more. in real-life affordability, I'd take the S2000. than a sky.

Edit: yes, but the Elise has 190hp. at least, in America
 
YSSMAN
Now how long is it going to take for Vauxhall to modify the Opel GT for sale in the UK?

Probably never, apparantly its impossible to convert the Kappa platform to RHD. You might see a few LHD Opel GT's about, but they'll never sell in any volume with the wheel on the wrong side - cars never do.
 
Wolfe2x7
Well, it is a rather safe assumption. There are more cases of European GM cars being rebadged and sent to america than there are cases of american GM cars being rebadged and sent to Europe... ;)

There aren't as many as you may think there are, you talk like all American GM's are Euro cars brought over. I can only think of a few...but really what is wrong with that? Nothing.
 
There's nothing wrong with that, but what he said is still true, there's more European model's sent to America and rebadged etc, than American model's sent to Europe, it's a fact, he's not saying anything positive or negative about it.
 
Back