The Big: (Sim)Racing Gloves thread

• Thread starter LogiForce
  • 147 comments
Well mine arrived...

They feel really snug and offer superb grip with those rubber pads particularly right upto to the end of the fingers/thumb area on the ones I got.

Problem with gloves is I do think it will take time to adjust and having something that is clumsy heavy, awkward just wont feel right. You wont know how any feel until trying them I guess or what size. These have a stretchiness to their feel but are not heavy or uncomfortable.

Think I could get used to them but the grip they offer is certainly not in question and they look real cool or nerdy depending on what way you look at it.

Even come with a keep safe zipper bag.
ojJDtl.jpg

Last edited:
Mr Latte
Well mine arrived...

They feel really snug and offer superb grip with those rubber pads particularly right upto to the end of the fingers/thumb area on the ones I got.

Problem with gloves is I do think it will take time to adjust and having something that is clumsy heavy, awkward just wont feel right. You wont know how any feel until trying them I guess or what size. These have a stretchiness to their feel but are not heavy or uncomfortable.

Think I could get used to them but the grip they offer is certainly not in question and they look real cool or nerdy depending on what way you look at it.

Even come with a keep safe zipper bag.

So would you recommend a pair of gloves like these for those who haven't got any but might want to try some out?
I reckon that the need for gloves depends on wheel strength, materials used on the wheel and one's level of transpiration during.
For example I grazed my hands on the rubber of the T500 on multiple occasions after which I tried some medical gloves I had from the pharmacy, which already helped a lot and felt more comfortable. Of course with most gloves you might loose some feel as it is still a loose piece of fabric that isn't glued to your hands. However depending on the fit of the glove (like mentioned by the race driver on page 1) the loss will be minimal.

I like this lol! I must admit though I've recently started wearing mechanix gloves for grip and wheel protection. I have no need for something expensive and these gloves provide adequate wicking action and are thin enough to preform all secondary functions ie. button pushing. Just my two cents.

O.k. I will concede that some of you sweaty bastards may need a small, mechanix type gloves, but...

Sparco Typhoon K-5 Black Kart gloves
spa_typhoon-kart.jpg

This is tool territory. Does your girlfriend think you look cooler wearing racing gloves that go halfway up your arm for Sim racing?

Motor City Hami
O.k. I will concede that some of you sweaty bastards may need a small, mechanix type gloves, but...

This is tool territory. Does your girlfriend think you look cooler wearing racing gloves that go halfway up your arm for Sim racing?

Tool territory? I figured I could use them while I go out Karting as well. Plus maybe in the car in winter. Besides I an the sweat hands type of guy and I am single. Which does help a lot with hobbies.
Besides I might go to the Nurburgring sometime. So some extra grip on the wheel will come in handy. Would be rather painful to loose control in real life you know.

So would you recommend a pair of gloves like these for those who haven't got any but might want to try some out?

If you are looking to avoid blisters and protect your wheel then it is worth considering. The more I wear these the more I like them but I have to say these have a nice feel to them, cant comment on others, some look bulky clumsey.

I get what your saying to an extent. Although I'd rather have gloves than something like a "simboot" and no offence to the people involved with those. Sorry I prefer actual shoes.

Their clearly is a reason and benefit from using good gloves.
As for looking silly, not a chance these look excellent with my new fancy "Guide London" £60 shirt, come on man seriously wicked cool these gloves are. :dopey:

Err btw I recommend not wearing them in public or at work :)

AysPfl.jpg

If you are worried about looking silly then I also recommend not to upload a picture of yourself looking like a prat like this. Although if you think gloves are silly why bother with a thread about them?

Bit of fun and worth trying I say but they certainly might protect how a wheel keeps its appearance.
For me thats the main reason really.

Last edited:
If you are worried about looking silly then I also recommend not to upload a picture of yourself looking like a prat like this.

Latte, I thought you would look more like your avatar :odd:

And why so serious ? :lol:

If your in iracing, your hands will sweat after a couple hardcore laps. I did star mazda practice giving it my all on oulton park w/ out brittens and my hands were sweating after 3 laps I also get red rash on my palm. You don't look like a tool until you wear a helmet and a fire suit, gloves are fine. If you have a suede steering wheel on your wheel then you want to wear gloves to get the most grip and slow down the wear of the suede.

mx-005.jpg

I bought a pair of Mechanix 0.5 gloves after returning a pair of Sparco Crew Gloves. The Sparco's had extra material on the fingertips. Great for grip, terrible for feeling buttons. I like the Mechanix 0.5's. I only wear them when my hands start to get sweaty or if I'm racing for longer sessions, to avoid blisters. One bad thing is they are not iPhone friendly :P. Although, they are better than some.

I also use Mechanix general purpose gloves for gardening and other outdoor stuff. My cycling gloves (Specialized) have too much gel padding to be used for driving.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001VNYLK/?tag=gtplanet-20

http://www.mechanix.com/automotive/the-original-05-glove

Last edited:
Mr. S
Excellent idea, Logi! 👍

Not everyone agrees with gloves though. As you can see above, but that makes it an interesting topic as well.
Have not received my gloves yet though. I hope I will tomorrow.

Lol who cares what you look like? It's pretty dumb to care what strangers think what you do with your money. Do those people pay your rent? My girl laughed the first time I connected a steering wheel to a desk. Guess what, she sure doesn't laugh anymore when she wants to take a spin in the "little dbox car". Do what you like and feels good, look uncool if you want. It's your hobbie, enjoy it.

Mayaman
Lol who cares what you look like? It's pretty dumb to care what strangers think what you do with your money. Do those people pay your rent? My girl laughed the first time I connected a steering wheel to a desk. Guess what, she sure doesn't laugh anymore when she wants to take a spin in the "little dbox car". Do what you like and feels good, look uncool if you want. It's your hobbie, enjoy it.

I concur. It's my money (and my wife's). So I'll do as I please. Just not wearing gloves.

Mayaman

I totally agree. We all have our likes and dislikes on any of the aspects that revolve around sim racing nowadays. Plus one might have a big budget and is able to buy and wants to buy a full motion rig with the best pedals, wheels, shifters and handbrakes, plus a bucketload of tactile. While the other person has a little budget or doesn't feel like spending so much and can only buy and is happy with a simple setup consisting only of a DFGT for example.

As long as we make sure we enjoy our hobbies in our own way and form then we will be happy, but once we let our hobby be directly influenced by the likes and dislikes of another hobbyist then in fact we just give away our hobby project since it does not consist solely of your own personal touches anymore.

So I pick gloves and Vince doesn't, but we are both content and that is what it's all about. :)

I have seen videos in the past of guys on "youtube" wearing gloves and I have to admit I had to laugh and think, "oh here's someone that takes things a bit too far". That guys a "nutjob".

Yes it can look stupid and a bit over necessary but as stated their actually are some good reasons for wearing them.

Im actually changing my view having tried the ones I bought and think their will be times of course I wont want to wear them but times when I want to for longer play session and even to delve further into the immersion/fun aspect of it all. Maybe like some people add a seat harness even if they havn't got motion, a good race snug seat also adds to the immersion more than some might think too.

Talking of these earlier, here are a new Sparco range and I quite like how they match with my gloves.
iaHxo.jpg

More images here, various colour options. Approx £65-£85 in UK
Demon Tweeks

Time 77 Shoe

More Images & Various Shoe/Boots

I draw the line at ensuring no helmet, fire proofs or race-suit.
Mind you a few pit babes would be welcomed.

Last edited:
Sweet, Latte! Can you post the link to the shoe model? Those look quite nice. My pedals are causing me to tear open many pairs of socks, I really need to get me a pair of shoes... those look sexy.

Those are nice shoes indeed. Classy even for race shoes. :)
I will stick with just gloves for now though. ;)

Coxis
What pedals do you have? With my set, I HAVE to wear shoes or I'll just rip my feet apart.

I am using CSP v2's currently, but also have the CSP v1, T500, G25 and Logitech Formula Force GP pedals. But yeah, using the v2 pedals now of course.

Spike125
I'm using some Fox gloves, previous model of them

http://shop.foxhead.com/store/products/Gloves/detail/Dirtpaw-Race-Glove/31197/cat20060?categoryNavIds=cat20008%3Acat20134%3Acat20156

I anyways had them from biking and in a long session I just tried them because I didn't want to sweat all over my wheel.
The feel is actually so great, that I use them now all time.
Next step will be some nice Sparco or Alpinestars karting gloves.

Will add the brand to the list.

Maybe like some people add a seat harness even if they havn't got motion, a good race snug seat also adds to the immersion more than some might think too.

Yepp, that counts!
I started with racing gloves (better feel and against sweaty hands back then with an MS SW wheel. Momo gloves first, OMP Gran Premio since a couple of years), added a bucket seat (2004) and actually have kart shoes (no chance driving barefoot with the CSP) and added a harness to my rig. :D
Necessary: a BIG no for some parts, but...nice and better immersion? YESSSS!!!! :sly:

I also think it sometimes increases concentration...

my gloves (good price cause of old homologation):
ib732big.jpg

I must admit: they are a bit long :)

I just got my gloves guys. I must say I am really pleased with them. They have soft rubber grip pads with foam underneath and the knuckle section is padded as well. I did feel that I still need to break in these gloves though as they are pretty stiff new. The thumbs are a bit too big for my slightly smaller then normal thumbs and the thumbs especially feel a bit stiff. The feel of the glove is great overall, although you feel the elastic bands a bit when taking the gloves off. They are really snug already even without the Velcro strap, but once I tightened the strap the gloves really didn't go anywhere.

The feel while racing so far without breaking in. I think the feel gets a bit muffed and I don't feel some tiny nuances anymore, but I also had a looser grip then usual I think. Wrapping my hands around the wheel with the still stiff gloves was a bit hard and felt a bit weird still, so that's the reason.

I will update after I feel my gloves get a bit more comfy over time.

Update:

Here is a picture of my gloves and pouch. Shot on the lowest setting of my camera. CSW pictures are taken in higher quality of course. The part of the pouch on top that you see on the first picture is actually some fine mesh so that your gloves can get rid of the smell of your sweaty hands while in the pouch. :P

Last edited:
Back