The Big: (Sim)Racing Gloves thread

• Thread starter LogiForce
  • 147 comments
Funny as my CSW looks as good as new as well, maybe that's because since November it has had more than 10hrs usage. Back in the box you go. :embarrassed:

Well the time will come when all my toys get used properly, I might be 65 , lol but still one day..... :sly:

Demon Tweeks ebay OUTLET Store
Click to see some great offers lads!

Here ya go

Examples:
pMIC1vL.jpg

Alpinestars Tech 1 Race FIA Approved Race Rally Nomex Glove Yellow X-Large
Clearance Sale! Was £57.35 - Now £27.84!!

YlxWkDX.jpg

Sparco Wave Race Glove In Black Size Small FIA Approved Flame Retardant
Clearance Sale! Was £84.44 - Now £38.74!!

Shoes as well:
I went for these :)
00KQCR3.jpg

Last edited:
How are your real racing gloves holding up guys? I don't have real racing gloves, but racing mechanics gloves, which I think are a bit thicker and I already have holes in thumbs in less than a year.

Haven't got issues with my gloves. They only need to go to the cleaners sometime maybe.

I have played mostly paintball game. And i have used half-finger gloves. Half-finger gloves works good for slides and it gives betters grip to hold your gun, good for walking the trigger as well. And it's very comfortable. Other than that gloves IMO didn't help. at this moment. Sometime I have used racing gloves.

I used gloves when I first got my CSW. It lasted about a week and I was done with it. It didn't help in protecting the wheel , if anything it was worse for the material. The dirt and grim from your hands can be washed away, the material you rub off the rim with gloves cant be replaced. I didn't gain any grip on the wheel with gloves (didn't loose any either) as other thought may be the case. Im also convinced that if pro drivers weren't forced to wear gloves most wouldn't.

In my opinion if you want the gloves for emersion than go for it. If your looking for more grip or to protect the material use your bare hands. Much more grip and a better overall feeling.

I tried some bike gloves at one point, for me they where fairly useless. No extra grip, less feel, I don't get sweaty hands, plus I just felt silly for doing it. Its a bit like playing "dress up".

I think the only truly beneficial race wear items are the shoes or anything that's similar to them, Don't pay for the real ones though, that's just overkill. Just get a "sim" shoe.

Most people don't wear gloves because they think it gives them some sort of advantage, it doesn't. We like wearing gloves because it helps the brain trick itself into believing the immersion if only a little more. Does having a sport seat on a static rig really matter? No, we don't need side bolsters to help us with G-Forces because there aren't any. But your body knows its in a racing seat and so your brain starts to imagine you are in a real race car cockpit. This is the same with gloves - they are a novelty to help increase immersion, nothing else.

Most people don't wear gloves because they think it gives them some sort of advantage, it doesn't. We like wearing gloves because it helps the brain trick itself into believing the immersion if only a little more. Does having a sport seat on a static rig really matter? No, we don't need side bolsters to help us with G-Forces because there aren't any. But your body knows its in a racing seat and so your brain starts to imagine you are in a real race car cockpit. This is the same with gloves - they are a novelty to help increase immersion, nothing else.

I wear them occasionally because after long days of racing I can sometimes get small blisters or sore spots on the base of my palms. Doesn't have anything to do with immersion or trying to protect the wheel, just to keep my hands from being irritated for the next couple days. I currently use a pair of "weight lifter" gloves (no fingertips, mesh back) but I'm not satisfied with them so would like to find a better option.

I wear gloves in my real race car to protect my hands from fire. I would actually prefer to drive without them. We spend so much time and money trying to buy fire proof gloves that fit well but feel the most like you're not wearing any.

I don't wear gloves when sim racing for two reasons.

First, I don't have any fear of my G27 bursting into flames.

Second, I don't want to look like a tool. Are you going to wear a helmet and fire suit next just to simulate the clothing's weight on your body?
Haha there was this video I once saw of a grown man with his sim racing rig. He wore a helmet gloves and racing suit. To top it off he had a fire extinguisher mounted underneath the seat.

Don't use gloves when you lift weights, and your hands will toughen up! Haha kidding

Actually that is true. If you do it enough anyways. I worked as a machinist for 20 years with no gloves. My hands are like leather. All of my tools get shiny from my hands using them. :P We have glass doorknobs with brass collars in my house and you can totally tell the ones I use all the time - they're all mirror finished on the brass part, lol.

Summer feet. When you go bare foot a whole summer on rocks and sand and what not. Hurt like hell the first day but at the end of the summer you don´t feel a thing. We are not built for socks and gloves :)

I am going to try this anyway http://www.dalhems.com/Product.aspx?guid=ed83f952-35b8-4ae7-8d44-9b65009d55a8

I have tried some very thin working gloves before but even with those I do feel I loose some feel. But for long endurances after the second hour or so it does get a bit hot with leather.

nice thread, wondering if basic glove would be used for racing?
racing gloves are in my opinion to thick
anyone use medical gloves or thin gloves here?

nice thread, wondering if basic glove would be used for racing?
racing gloves are in my opinion to thick
anyone use medical gloves or thin gloves here?

The kart gloves I have are not thick at all in my opinion. They don't keep my hands warm in the winter, that's for sure. So I don't use them to keep my hands warm on a winter cold steering wheel.

I posted mine in the beginning of this thread I believe.

My favorite game paintball game so i have play paintball game and i have wear paintball wear with protectors. So when i have play paintball game so i have wear half finger gloves because Half-finger gloves works good for slides and it gives better grip to hold my gun, good for walking the trigger as well. And it's very comfortable. Other than that gloves full finger don't help at this moment.
But sometime i have play racing.

Paintball Gloves

Was interested to note that Rene Rast used gloves here:

While driving Project CARS.

I don't know what constitutes a good glove for sim racing, but for Aussies, I noticed these at Bunnings the other day. Seemed like they'd be good for a light feel glove. Only twenty bucks, I think. Guide 569.
gallery_01378372629.png

They're work gloves, so should be pretty robust, despite being probably light enough to even type in. Turns out that they quite look the part though, as well.

I thinking about this ones, cus they´re cheap (24€) have good ventilation and they have a good protection on the thumb where i get big callus.
2355620001_63851_tif_raw_3.jpg

Getting new HE Sim Ultimate pedals I am experimenting quite a bit. I really dislike racing shoes. You loose so much feel for the brake and throttle. The HE Pedals you can use up to 135! KG. That is a 100 % theoretic I never get there no matter how I stand on the pedals ;)

I am using more modest 55 - 85 kg brake pressures approx. Which still require a bit of standing on the brake as soon as some muscle fatigue kick in. Shoes increase stability absolutely but loose so much feel and flexibility suffers. I ended up going socks dealing with the incomfort of the pedal plate carving into my foot soles for the brake foot because that was a better feel still :D. With time I believe my feet would harden enough so that would be perfectly doable but I ended up with these ninja shoes!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-JI...d=100011&prg=9723&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=151271521396

My have cotton not rubber soles! As close to bare foot you can get the cotton soles is just thick enough to avoid the carving feel. They don´t add much stability very marginal stability/flexibility add one you loose the other. Exactly what I needed I can glide around on the pedals at free which is good for the throttle as I run it as quite long throw. If I would ever attempt going over 100 I would probably need racing shoes to not split my foot in two halfs.

As for racing gloves running those omp Tazios it´s good for those hard thrustmaster rubber grips getting a bit more of a soft leather feel. And it´s a nice ritual to put them on prior to a race and then spend the two minutes after a race trying to get the wet gloves off ;)

But it´s just about only for the feel. I have no idea if leather rims would be perserved better you would have to change gloves. I am not getting hand sweat easilly I surely get more with gloves :)

Nice videos Christiaan :)

Because i have received a new BMW rim last week, i'm going to try using gloves again. I did not see any difference between my (3 months old) used wheel and the replacement i received, but when you do see the difference, it's too late.

I have already tried the "big" racing gloves and i just don't like losing all the feeling of the wheel.

This time i bought some (medical) coton gloves at the local Pharmacy.
They feel pretty comfy and also give a very good "button feel"

dsc03354l.jpg

Still i couldn't help feeling a bit like Michael Jackson when i tried them out the first time. :D LOL

Like Lemansfanatic i'm also torn between protecting my wheelrim and feeling the soft alcontara on my hands.
austin-texas-wedding-groomsmen-gentleman-in-black-tux-hat-white-gloves.original.jpg

Gentleman style :sly:

Back