The biking thread

I cycle about 1.5 hours a day. (1 hour of that is a paperround)
My bike is a (pretty ruined) Giant Rock xs.

I mainly ride jumps around my area with mates.
Great fun. Since I'm to young to drive :( I can only go to places within a couple of my house. Which is really anoying since about 5-10 miles away in everydirection are grear downhills.

http://www.imbikemag.com/issue5/

issue5_cover.jpg

Issue 5 of International Mountain Bike Magazine is out now and it seems pretty good so far. Amongst other things there is an interview with Darcy Wittenburg of Anthill Films about their latest movie "Follow Me" which will no doubt be awesome if it's anything like their other stuff.

EDIT: BTW it's a free online magazine :)

Last edited:
Which is really anoying since about 5-10 miles away in everydirection are grear downhills.

I'm sorry but that is nothing!
My cycle to school is 3miles every day. And when I go to my local jump spot it is about 8 miles from my house and then I usually go round this hilly country park thing with some pretty fun stuff in it!
Get cycling! :lol:
On a different note. Later on I am going to rip my chainset apart so that I can just have the 32t ring up front. I never go above 3x5 which is just 2x7 really. I have never used the 2-something t granny ring.
I'll get picks of that and my shiny new grips up later if all goes to plan.

EDit: Just remembered about a treeeeemendous video a friend sent me...

Hi guys.
I'm looking to get a new bike to replace my broken giant rock, and I thought I would ask for your advice.
I don't want to spend more that £450 because I can't afford any more than that.
It needs to be very rugged and very difficult to break.
I would use it for a paperround everymorning which would be on tarmac. I would also use it on jumps and offroad/downhill.
I don't mind buying secondhand.
I'm thinking of buying this.
http://www.realcycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b118s2p1878
or the base mantra which is 50quid cheaper.

What do you guys suggest?

lbsf1, I can't help you much as I am more of a road bike kind of guy.

And I feel like the only on the forum at times, given the dominance of BMX and mountain bike setups I am seeing :lol:

Anyhow, nothing quite like a midnight ride on a crisp night after some rain to look at the stars over the fields around here. Absolutely no traffic either... quite nice having the only sound be my breathing, air around my head, and tires on the pavement. Also let me take better lines around some corners, letting me carry a lot more speed up some hills.

Hi guys.
I'm looking to get a new bike to replace my broken giant rock, and I thought I would ask for your advice.
I don't want to spend more that £450 because I can't afford any more than that.
It needs to be very rugged and very difficult to break.
I would use it for a paperround everymorning which would be on tarmac. I would also use it on jumps and offroad/downhill.
I don't mind buying secondhand.
I'm thinking of buying this.
http://www.realcycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b118s2p1878
or the base mantra which is 50quid cheaper.

What do you guys suggest?

One of my mates asked the same question with a £400ish budget last week so I’ve only just looked into this :D

These are the two I came up with, both have got better spec than the Saracen Mantra Pro (forks and drivetrain in particular). I’ve got a Carrera Vulcan Disc and am more than happy with it and the Kraken is the next model up and better spec. Halfords gets a bad press, and not without cause, but it really does depend on the staff at your local store. If you get a bike from Halfords I would strongly advise to take it straight to your local bike shop to get them to check everything over so you know nothing is going to fall off, I’d imagine they would charge about £20 for this service. The prices at Halfords do fluctuate a fair bit so you may find they come down in a month or so but then again they could go back to full price.

Chainreaction cycles is the biggest mail order bike shop in the UK and I use them regularly although I’ve never bought a bike from them so it would be a good idea to phone to find out what needs to be set up on the bike once it’s delivered.

My personal choice after compeering the specs on both these bikes would be the Carrera and just ignore the brand snobs. Check out the reviews on bikeradar for the 2006 (http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/kraken-10013) and 2007 (http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/kraken-07-20130) bikes to see why.

GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc Hardtail Bike 2010 £450 reduced from £570 Medium only (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46161)

Features:
• Fork: Suntour XCR-LO hydraulic fork with cr-mo 30 mm stanchions, magnesium lowers, preload adjust, 100 mm of travel and lock out
• Front Derailleur: Shimano M -330
• Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore Shadow
• Shifters: Shimano 8 speed rapid-fire shifters (24-speed)
• Front Brake: Tektro Hydraulic disc brake
• Rear Brake: Tektro Hydraulic disc brake

Carrera Kraken Mountain Bike 09 £430 reduced from £470 (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_518223_langId_-1_categoryId_229915)

Features:
• Forks: Suntour XCR 120mm Travel, magnesium lowers, 32mm stanchions, lock out
• SRAM X5, 27 speed gears
• Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic disc brakes
• Front Mech: SRAM X5
• Rear Mech: SRAM X5
• Gear Shifters: SRAM X5 27 Speed Trigger

Last edited:
Wow!! thanks for the quick response guys. I never thought about that bike since it was from halfords. I will look into that. I won't be getting it for the next couple of months due to the fact that I need to save up my paperround wages for it.

That carrera looks nice and good spec like you said, however my parents will still be wary of letting me get it because it is from halfords so they think that it will end up broken and bashed up like my current bike.

Hey, I say look into used bikes too. For example I recently bought a Giant ATX 860 (XC bike) for only $350. Its got:
Shimano Deore LX rear deraileur
Shimano STX RC front deraileur as well as brakes and hubs and cranks
Rock Shox Judy C fork
Uber light frame
ZAC19 rims
WTB mountain tires.
Original price brand new was $1200+ (Its from early 2000)

Wow!! thanks for the quick response guys. I never thought about that bike since it was from Halfords. I will look into that. I won't be getting it for the next couple of months due to the fact that I need to save up my paper round wages for it.

That Carrera looks nice and good spec like you said, however my parents will still be wary of letting me get it because it is from Halfords so they think that it will end up broken and bashed up like my current bike.

I debated for a very long time and used up a few gigabytes of internet searching before I decided on getting a Carrera from Halfords so I understand your parents concern. Carerra’s are Halfords upmarket brand and are not the same as their Apollo branded bikes, which really are rubbish. The Carrera frames are made by the same few far eastern factories that make the vast majority of other well known bike frames so quality isn’t really an issue and the geometry is similar to the popular trail bikes so handling should be good. The components are usually much better than other similarly priced bikes so again there shouldn’t be a problem there. I guess the headset and bottom bracket bearings could be a concern as they’re not branded items but at this price point you’re not likely to get sealed cartridge bearings on any bike and they should be fine with normal regular maintenance.

It is true Halfords aren’t the best bike mechanics. The brake calliper bolts on my bike were loose and the pedal on my wife’s bike (also Carrera) hadn’t been tightened properly which damaged the crank thread although this was replaced.

The advice I gave to my friend about getting a Carrera from Halfords was to buy the bike unbuilt and still in the box and get a local bike shop to put it together so that the Halfords monkeys can’t bodge anything. Even accounting for the extra cost of this the bikes are still a bargain.

Keep an eye out for the price of the Carrera Fury dropping to your budget because that really is a decent bike and even has air sprung forks although they’re still Suntour,

I’ve got the Suntour XCM forks on my bike which are the same as on the Saracen and are pretty crap TBH, the Suntour XCR probably aren’t much better but that’s the best you’ll get on a new bike at this price. It’s definitely worth checking out the second hand market and as always there are bargains to be found on ebay.

I have been to a bike shop and spoke to a guy there. He suggested the GT tempest 2.0

In the shop he had it priced at 499.99 however after having a look on the internet I have found it for 389.99.

When I saw it in the shop I have fallen in love with it.
What do you guys think of it.

I've found it for £318.99 (http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/19838/GT_Tempest_20_Bike_2009)

The spec looks more or less in the same ball park as the GT Avalanche 2.0 and the Carrera Kraken but it is a dirt jump rather than a trail bike so only comes in a 14" frame size and is 16 speed (2 chain rings and a bash guard). Also it has a 100mm travel fork and the Kraken has 120mm but I'm not familiar with either so not sure which is best really. Ditto with the brakes so not sure if the Tektro Auriga or ProMax are best.

Personally I wouldn't get a dirt jump because I only ride on the road and trails and the last time I jumped I went over the handlebars and still have the scars to prove it :lol:

It really depends what you want your bike for. It's not a good idea to get a bike for its looks if it's not great for riding any distance.

EDIT: If you need help deciding whether to get a dirt jump bike you could PM Sweetshopunion, I'm pretty sure he's got one.

Last edited:
I'm pretty tiny so a 14" frame is the right size for me.
On winstadleybikes do you know how much there delivery is. (I can't find it on their website)
The main reason I like this bike is because the guy at the shop said he uses one and after breaking many bikes frames clean in half in the past he has never broken this one in 10 years. (I know he is genuine because he knows out local jumps so isn't just making it up)

The version in the shop was the 09 version also so that isn't a problem.

(If you can't tell by the post I'm quite excited since this bike looks so good.)

Go for it 👍 it's a great looking bike

It says free delivery on all orders but phone them to find out if they build it up first (http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/page/23/Ordering)

Talk to the guy in the shop and see if he'll do you a deal based on Winstanleys price, there's no harm in asking and it usually works with a bit of persuasion.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010...ascinating-gallery-of-south-african-cyclists/

http://www.dayonepublications.com/Bicycle_Portraits/Index.html

Bike Portraits: a Fascinating Gallery of South African Cyclists

remo_baker_1953.jpg

Warning: Do not follow the link below unless you have a half-hour or so to spare. Bicycle Portraits will be a hardback book of photographs and transcribed conversations with cyclists in South Africa. Right now it exists as a fascinating web gallery that will swallow your entire coffee break.
There’s something about seeing a person with their bike that shows a lot more than a straight portrait. It’s like seeing the contents of their bag, or peeking into their kitchen cupboards, only less voyeuristic and – for bike nerds at least – way more interesting. Combine that with a few words about how, why and where they ride, and a Google map of where the photo was taken and you can see exactly why this site will suck you in:

Why do I cycle? Because it’s fun! Also some exercise and I mean, there is lots you can do with it. Been cycling about 5 years now. I use it to go to town now and then. I bought this bicycle there. I’ve modified the bike a little, putting in the extra pipes and different tires. It means everything to me.
Remo Baker
Rosebud St. Kwanokuthula, Riversdale, Western Cape, South Africa (Pictured above).

The book is by Stan Engelbrecht and his “friend and fellow bicycle enthusiast” Nic Grobler, and will be completed as they ride their bikes around South Africa to meet and photograph people. The project is funded by KickStarter, which lets regular Joes like you and me pledge money to cool projects like this. The guys are looking for $16,000 to complete Bicycle Portraits. If you contribute, you’ll get a copy of the book when it is published. And even if you don’t, go make yourself a cup of coffee and click the link.

21557.jpeg

I am broken/dying/moaning alot! Took part in the Marin Roughride today, 48km and over 5000ft of climbing on a roasting hot day. It was fun but most of the climbing had to be done on foot because of the long steep ascents, it made pedalling your bike a rest!​

Last edited:
I skipped exercising yesterday and didn't want to two days in a row but, alas, it was 11:00 pm, everyone was sleeping and there is a terrible squeak that I haven't been able to identify that emanates from the elliptical machine (complaining about my fat ass being on it is what I'm going with) so I didn't want to jump on and wake everyone up.

Then it hit me. I haven't gone on a late night bike ride in years. Quick check of the weather - dead clear sky, 6 mph breeze, 60°F. Perfect. All was well and good for the first 3.25 miles (and ultimately for the last 2.25 miles, as well). It was the one mile in the middle that about scared the crap out of me. The path I took, during the day, is an awesome bike/running path. At night, especially tonight when the moon isn't out, it's freaky as hell. Five thousand two hundred and eighty feet and only 3 street lights. Sure you might be able to see the next intersection 1,500 feet away but if you can't see more than 10 feet in front of you... needless to say I wussed out and slowed down to around 10 mph (had been in the 14-16 range before and upped that (at least for about a mile) to 18-19 after). The last thing I needed was to be 2 miles away from home with a blown tire and road rash.

Made for outstanding stargazing, though. :D:tup:

Good work SSU, what position did you finish in?

It's been years since I did a night ride. It was in the Lake District on a very rocky path with the most pathetic light ever produced, I also bottled it and slowed to a snails pace although it still felt plenty fast enough.

I've been a lazy lard arse this weekend and not been on the bike but should rectify that with a post work ride on Wednesday.

My gt tempest arrived a week ago but due to bad weather and revision I only got to really test it yesterday. I have used it for my paperrounds and stuff for the last week.

I was aiming to go to some jumps and downhills which I went to with some mates a couple of years ago but havent gone again since. I cycled 5 miles there going along some roads and then across some shrubland then back on the road. I then went round the back of the estate into the forest. I couldn't remember the way there so spent quite abit of time looking for this disused concrete bunker which was near the entrance for the downhill. This is a vid of the downhill (not by me)

I then got lost (again) looking for the gully. I did that a couple of times before remembering the time and then rushed the 5 miles home again to watch the start of the grand prix.

The bike felt solid. I didn't push much since I'm not used to the bike yet.

Last edited:
dvd_NWD10.jpg

I've watch NWD10 with my mate today. I have to say I wasn't that impressed with it considering it is the final NWD ever. I enjoyed NWD9 more and Kranked 8 just took biking films to a whole new level.​

A bit pretentious but might be worth a watch...hmm, can't embed the video so here's the link http://vimeo.com/13906966

"Rapha and RSA Films present three short films inspired by the people, places and stories of road racing. Johan Museeuw, Sean Kelly and Dario Pegoretti are celebrated in three cinematic portraits exploring the passion, history and drama of the sport.

Based on a trio of story-labels originally found inside the Rapha Club Jerseys, each film brings a new translation: The intense dreamscape of Nick Livesey's ode to Johan Museeuw, Adrian Moat's tale of discovery inspired by Sean Kelly and Ben Ingham's intimate view of Dario Pegoretti in his workshop, all powerful representations of three distinct icons of road racing.

It has been a privilege to work with Ridley Scott Associates and such talented friends on these films. "

Redbull Rampage is tomorrow!

redbull-rampage-evolution.jpg

Watch it live on Pinkbike,Freecaster or Redbull. Here's a link to some of the qualifying earlier today. The Oakley Icon Sender is going to make for jump of over 70ft.

Back