The biking thread

Lazy is not even clicking Tom's link to see if has a start time which would have been quicker than asking! What is MST time? I'm on a roll of asking easily seachable questions now ;)

TB
Happy to hear your starting to heal up, Tom. đź‘Ť

Thanks TB, the kidney pain itself went a week after I got out however that just introduced to the world of sore ribs and back ache.

Finally I'm back into my usual routine and I've even been out on the bike(against what the doctor said) for some quick road loops. I'm not worried about getting out jumping again, quite the opposite really! I'm sick of having to wait to get back out there.

Rampage is on!: http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Event/Red-Bull-Rampage-2010-021242830991738

EDIT: SOMEONE TRIM THAT BUSH! Bad luck to Vanderham, the canyon gap was insane.

EDIT 2: Ouch! Cam Zink went down hard trying to 360 the 70ft Oakley Sender.

EDIT 3: YEEARRRRHHH! Zink landed the 360 over the 70ft Sender on his second run, he's got to top the leaderboard now.

EDIT 4: Zink took the win, Gee Atherton second and Bearclaw third.

Last edited:
Awesome...for once a justified use of the word. I only caught a couple of minutes of it last night :guilty: It was enough to see one of the guys basically fall off a cliff and then just get up apparently fine even though he was wearing a t-shirt and no gloves. Even if I was dressed like batman I'd still end up in a coma!

Any idea when the DVD is out?

Awesome...for once a justified use of the word. I only caught a couple of minutes of it last night :guilty: It was enough to see one of the guys basically fall off a cliff and then just get up apparently fine even though he was wearing a t-shirt and no gloves. Even if I was dressed like batman I'd still end up in a coma!

Any idea when the DVD is out?

Amazingly everyone walked away from all the crashes, including a huge ball buster over the 60ft canyon gap. The commentators were ok too, Cam McCaul and some fat guy who sounded like he was dying slowly through the comp but kept coming out with funny one liners all the time.

I'd guess the DVD will be out in a few weeks time.

Haha
Surprisingly the only 'crash' I had was when we were on our way back, we stopped off in the country park with some trails in it... Was going pretty fast and then there was a very deep puddle of pure mud. Front tire got sucked in about a third of the way up, then I basically just fell off sideways somehow managing to stay on my feet but up to my ankles in mud :lol:
Was absolutely hilarious :D

I've had an email today from IMBikeMag as they now let you download their magazine for free in iPhone friendly pdf format :)

email
Hi Neal

A few of our subscribers have been asking about reading IMB on mobile devices, and we have been working on a solution for some time. We have just launched IMB for the iPad and iPhone and we have a solution for the Android too.

If you follow the link, and the instructions youÂ’ll be able to get IMB on your mobile device totally free!

iPad/iPhone Users:

http://www.imbikemag.com/back_issues.php?page_type=downloadPDF&issue_id=7

Download the file to your computer or laptop and drag the .pdf to iTunes. If you donÂ’t already have iBooks on your device download the free app. Then simply sync your device and find a working copy of IMB complete with links, videos and working scroll bars in your iBooks library!

Android Users:

http://www.imbikemag.com/back_issues.php?page_type=downloadPDF&issue_id=7

You can download the .pdf too, and then simply view it on your device with your .pdf reader. At the moment the Android version is limited to the .pdf, and we are working on developing a more interactive experience for it. But in the meantime at least you can still read IMB on the train!

Enjoy

The IMB Team

http://www.imbikemag.com

:eek: Activity in this thread.
I need to post an up-to-date photo of my bike which I will try and do today.
It has many new bits since my first photo :P

So I may need some new forks. The Fox's are leaking badly now and I think the steerer tube is slightly bent. In other news I went for my first ride in a while and my first back at bestwood (where I bust my kidney), the local riders have worked hard over winter and it's survived all the frost pretty well.

If I can scrape some money together I'm considering getting some X-Fusion Velvet RL's. I've not heard much of the brand before but they are stupidly light and appear to be working fine for Aaron Chase who left his Fox sponsorship to be with them.

They are light because the air in them is helium... Good for jumping đź‘Ť

:sly:

Here is my bike nowadays, bit mucky but good fun:
IMG_7453.jpg

IMG_7452.jpg

IMG_7450.jpg

IMG_7448.jpg

Compared to:
Photo0097.jpg

Photo0096.jpg

Nice, not jealous at all. Is that just a single chain ring plus guides?

I've had my bike out if the shed today sorting it out for the first ride in a long time tomorrow. I'm pretty sure my forks are goosed too unless the rebound is turned up to a million!

Yeah just a single 36t up front. Was running a 32t but I wanted something bigger and shinier :lol:
And yeah that is that e-Thirteen DRS guide + bash that I got on the cheap last year. Finally managed to get the bash fitted after I bought some bloody 15 quid chainring bolts :ouch:

Nice, I wish I could have gone out today but I have prelims next week... Holiday week in 2 weeks time though soooo ride every day :D

If you get a chance, strip and clean your forks or just take the bottom bolt out and pump them to get rid of any stale water that may be in them :P

Well I can't remember what forks he has...
My crappy Suntours had rubbish seals which let a swimming pool's worth of water in which made them solid :lol:

Yep, Suntours too but the even crappier model to yours. TBH they're so pathetic I'd resent spending any time working on them although if I broke them it would give me an excuse to buy a new pair but it's not a good enough bike to justify upgrading. I'd rather let everything wear out and get a full sus in a couple of years.

đź‘Ť
The Suntours on my old bike died, so when I got my new bike, I had a look inside... It was not pretty! Frankly they were pretty dangerous as they were all rusty and corroded to hell and the lowers could move around the stanchons... :scared:
I'm contemplating doing my old bike up as a singlespeed sometime just to piss about on :P

I made my mate come out and ride just by showing him this comic.

gottaStudy.png

Glad I did too as we had a pretty neat session on a step-up, even when I failed a 360 and hurt my balls, riding is fun.

Hi everyone! seeing that my favorite hobby is urban biking, I would like to ask a question:

I currently have a Cro-moly steel framed, 21 speed Trek and need to climb hills like this:

The hill on the right is possibly the 5th steepest hill in San Francisco, next to Twin peaks, and California St.

I can (just) make it up the hill, and my top speed achieved is 60km/h on any given downhill.

I am thinking of upgrading to this:

This is the Specialized Sirrus Elite X3, Which is, some say, the best of the 'hybrid' bicycles at $700.
It has an all-aluminum frame, carbon-fibre fork (which I think looks cool), and "Rapid Fire' shift leavers (which I think are unnecessary).
And that leads me to my question:
Do you think I need this $700 Sirrus?

Everyone always wants needs a new bike and you can't go wrong with Specialized but with those hills what you really need is a set of these.

velodrome_cycling_quadriceps_1303580_l-300x225.jpg

Back