The biking thread

After roughly 6 weeks and 30 miles a day for most of that time my work horse commuter bike has been put out of action by a buckled wheel.

It was already a little on the wobbly side already but ~1000 miles on London roads have left it limping and unstable. I'm quite surprised that London roads have managed this considering the poorer countries I've commuted in before are know for their poor roads. Clearly not as poor as London's cycle highway - a roadway dedicated to bicycles. :rolleyes:

So I'm on the train this morning and the bike will need a big rock to beat the rim back into shape. :grumpy:

Today will be a day of grey faces in the Tour. 184km. The first hours they averaged a speed of 50km/h. The finish is uphill. A first category climb followed by a HC mountain. The Dutch commentators usually go for a ride on the stage to explore it but they decided to not try this one because it's just so steep.

Today will be a day of grey faces in the Tour. 184km. The first hours they averaged a speed of 50km/h. The finish is uphill. A first category climb followed by a HC mountain. The Dutch commentators usually go for a ride on the stage to explore it but they decided to not try this one because it's just so steep.

I'm just getting ready for the start of the UK coverage now. Should be a nice suffering competition. It's a shame Cav has left to focus on the Olympics but the Alps is always going to knock off a few riders.

Tom Dumoulin is just a monster in the time trials. Incredible.

He's going to be hard to beat. You know some of the other riders just aren't bothering when they go out on their road bikes when the stage contenders are riding aero bikes. Saying that, I think Porte is riding his road bike with clip-on aero bars.

So Wednesday I'd thought I'd give it a go at riding hard for an hour. I averaged 32km/h. Not too bad given that I'm still part of traffic, so I have to respect road safety and rules. I reckon a good go on a track or a stretch where I don't have to stop and just ride constant, maybe I could hit 34km/h averaged.

I'd like to work on cycling power this coming winter. Fitness seems to be in good shape right now, Monday I went for an hour's jog, Tuesday 1,5km swim, Wednesday 1 hour cycling, yesterday again an hour's jog, and today I went for a 2km swim. I don't think I have ever done so much variation in one week as this week.

My cycling output needs work, though. I max out at 50km/h when sprinting, but I can sprint 40-42km/h on an incline. I've spent a lot of time riding intervals on inclines, but my peak power needs work.

So some of those of you who frequented this thread when it was a bit more popular would know how much cycling has changed my life.

For those who don't a very quick rundown.
Lost 32kg's
Hardly drink now
Finally gave up smoking.

Anyway when I started a 10km ride was an achievement that at the time I was proud of. Nowadays I'll jump on my bike and go for a 100km ride without any thought or planning, just throw some food in my jersey and off I go.
Being the type who likes a bit of a challenge I accepted an invitation from a mate a about six months ago to do an annual ride here in Melbourne. While we are at it, it may as well be the longest version at 250km.

That ride is this Sunday.

The longest solo ride I've done without stopping was about 160km so I'm thinking riding with others and throw in a few rest stops the extra distance should be fine.
The timing of the event means that the last few months over our winter I've been training in the wet, wind and cold to ready myself for it. I feel as fit as I ever have and come Sunday morning at 5:30 the first pedal stroke will be made in what will be a long day. There is three of us amongst the thousands doing the ride and the plan is simple, ride to the slowest guy's pace on the day and help each other home. All three of us are pretty similar in ability so who that will be will purely depend on how we feel on the day.

Only real concern is the weather, as it stands the forecast is for a minimum of 10 and a max of 19 with a shower or two. That's not too bad but if the prediction for the wind is correct it's going to be a gruelling second half of the ride into what could be 50km/h winds. Touch wood the wind doesn't get up to that.

Anyway here's a pic from one of my last training rides just last week during the usual stop for a coffee.
It's amazing how many streets you simply don't take notice of while going about your business or in a car. :lol:

20160924_092331-2.jpg

Good luck on the ride and all but this is the real show stopper:
Lost 32kg's
Hardly drink now
Finally gave up smoking
Those are all things to be proud of. Put together, that's life changing. Well done, Shaun. 👍

Amazing progression, @Shaun. You've done more in a few years than most people bother to even attempt in a life time. It's really inspirational that you've improved your health and your life with just the aid of our two wheeled friend.

You've certainly owned Rule #5. 👍 :)

My road bike arrived from storage a few days ago and is at my mother-in-laws house waiting for me to get a chance to pick it up. I do miss that old thing and now, from where I live, I can see the silhouette of the mountain taunting me. Almost time to polish my cycling shoes, air up the tyres and go destroy my legs on the climb.

EDIT: Just to add some welcoming news from the UK which hopefully will catch on around the world - Operation Close Pass. A police initiative to prosecute drivers who endanger cyclists. Google '#closepass' to see the FB page. If you watch GCN you already know from them what it's about.

Last edited:
You've certainly owned Rule #5. 👍 :)

Thanks mate. 👍

Almost time to polish my cycling shoes, air up the tyres and go destroy my legs on the climb.

Sounds like a plan, is that Giant you bought back when you were in China?

Just to add some welcoming news from the UKwhich hopefully will catch on around the world -

Yeah heard about that via GCN.
There's a push here atm explaining that 1 meter matters when passing a cyclist. It's something I suppose but unless people take notice achieves nothing.

Sounds like a plan, is that Giant you bought back when you were in China?

That's the one, 6 years old now. Of all the countless bikes I've had in my life it's my favourite; it wasn't the most expensive, well equipped or best looking but it was the first bike my wife helped me pick out so it's kind of special for that reason.

Yeah heard about that via GCN.
There's a push here atm explaining that 1 meter matters when passing a cyclist. It's something I suppose but unless people take notice achieves nothing.

As much as it might piss off other road users I've always preferred to hog the lane through a narrow place in the road (like where bollards are or traffic islands) so that there just isn't a way to get past me. I'd rather get the middle finger than get rammed off the road.

Basically like this image I just found:

Cyclists-ride-centrally-on-narrow-lanes200x300.jpg

I've also invested in a GoPro session for my helmet, both bicycle and motorcycle attachments, for anytime I might need footage in my defence should an incident occur.

As much as it might piss off other road users I've always preferred to hog the lane through a narrow place in the road (like where bollards are or traffic islands) so that there just isn't a way to get past me. I'd rather get the middle finger than get rammed off the road.

Yeah similar for me.
People often ask why do cyclists not ride right next to the kerb.
The three main reasons for me are.

1. That's where are the crap ends up and how you get punctures.
2. If I need to swerve for some reason I'd like two options of which way to go with the preference of being not further out into the road.
3. And this is the big one for me, it forces the driver behind you to actually go around you often by totally changing lanes and not squeezing past in the same lane. That or they just wait a bit, it's inevitable that on occasion you will hold a car up a bit but for me anyway I'll always do my best to get out of the way.

Just wish cars that hold me up going down twisty hills would do the same. :sly:

After several litres of sweat, a bucket and a half of elbow grease, a whole roll of toilet paper and a quarter of a can of WD40 I now have a clean, mechanically sound bicycle back in my possession. It was in better shape than I expected after 9 months in a garage. It needs a new chain and the bartape is a bit shabby but I'm happy to let the local shop give it a full service and replace all the worn parts that have needed replacing since before I put it in storage.

So happy to to have it back but it does feel strange after the last bike I had which was huge; this feels small in comparison.

Ok so a bit of a wrap from the ride on the weekend.

The story starts about three months prior when I decided that I should start to do some training specific to the event. What was needed was basically time in the saddle for the ride, it wasn't particularly hilly with just a few smallish climbs in here and there but what it was without question no matter the conditions a long day in the saddle.
So yeah I upped my riding over the winter and rode rain hail and shine, even in the wind and that's the important part. I despise the wind as a cyclist but as an outdoor sport it happens that wind is part of the game, more on this later.

So to the day, my big mate (I'll call him this as that's what he his, one of my best buddies who after letting himself go a bit is getting back into cycling years later from being a competitive cyclist) picks me up at 4 am for the drive to Melbourne about 60km away for the start. I greet him with two freshly made cups of coffee and all my gear and bike that we load into his car. Straight away the discussion turns to the weather, the day has been forecast for extremely high and damaging winds with gusts up to 120km/h. Surely we couldn't be that unlucky and it turns out we weren't, the strongest gust was 102km/h. :lol:

The first pedal stroke was just outside the CBD of Melbourne at 5:30, a glimpse to the sky for any flags and even at that time of the day the wind could be seen but due to being sheltered by the buildings not felt. The first indication the wind was going to be strong was going over this bridge just outside the city as we were getting buffeted around.
The next couple of hours was pretty plain sailing with a tail wind that was starting to gather momentum.
At about 80km into the ride on roads I know very well in my home town things were about to get serious.
My big mate and two others split from a large group who were riding the 210km course not the 250km we were doing, that split meant a ride in cross winds for around 10km before a turn into the wind. As we left the group a guy within it yelled out good luck guys it's time for you to work. And work we did, a turn into the wind about 5km later was horrendous even after the cross winds, at that time it was about 50km/h strong.

We rode on until making the rest/ferry stop where the crossing on the ferry is to be made before riding back around the coast to Melbourne. Both Mrs Shaun and my big mate's other half were there to meet us with food supplies. The big mates other half at that stage commented "you guys are absolute nuts, I'm indoors worried about the house getting blown away and you are out there riding. Nuts but it takes someone special to do it". Those last few words gave me a bit extra to keep going. The ferry crossing went surprisingly well as I had been worried for months I would be sick but wasn't. Getting off the ferry on the other side was another story.

We were met by announcements that the next 3km were particularly open to gusts of wind and they weren't wrong. It became a battle to stay upright in the cross winds and at on stage I was in a group of about 20 when a nasty gust hit and took down a couple which meant about the next 10 going down also. Somehow we both just missed it with the guy directly in front of me going over his bars, a quick check and of the others and we were away again.
The next 80 or so km's were into a pretty constant head wind between 50 and 70 km/h with some nasty gusts thrown in. During this time we were sand blasted from the coast, dodged fallen riders, trees and rubbish flying around. My big mate also at times started to really struggle and all I could do was encourage and ride by his side. Normally 30km is no big deal and about an hour of riding but with the wind it was 2 hours and a big deal.
In cycling they have a thing called a sag wagon which picks up riders along the way who for whatever reason can't go on. With about 15km to go we stopped at my big mates request so he could stretch a bit, upon going again and after a km or two the sag wagon stopped just ahead of us to pick someone up, I turned and looked to mate and without having to ask he said no ****ing way I'm finishing this now. That right there was the moment of the day for me and I rolled back to him and said "just sit behind me on my wheel we've got this, remember the deal at the start was whoever is the stronger on the day rides to the other guys pace and helps him".

So we duly rolled in across the finish line.
A few pics.

This is were the big fella started to struggle, about 80km to go into the relentless headwind going up a bit of a hill. Note the rather choppy normally calm bay in the background.

e3e12596e4446c8646f1f8203bde7f20-xwpt2vhyonu96jacq5mi.jpg

Only about a km to go with the big fella on my right shoulder looking pretty happy with himself.

eeadff96e603f3bd9fffbf0c31f573a9-3ttd67h3w0vv5ktucv7vi.jpg

Last corner, we've got this.

585d2e6647e357ac9d907abbe10c32dd-ix1k6tcufhicq7eklnmi.jpg

Were we along with every one else that did it nuts?
Hell yeah but I'd do it all again.

A few stats from the day.

Avg - Max
Speed:
25.6km/h - 55.8km/h
Heart Rate: 140bpm - 178bpm
Cadence: 73rpm - 121rpm
Power: 98W - 701W
Calories: 3,871
Temperature: 15℃
Moving Time: 9:50:50

Without the wind as a guess 1.5 to 2 hours could probably be dropped from the moving time.
On the power stats, I have a power meter on my bike and an insight to power and the wind.
Two examples both just me and my mate riding side by side with no drag reduction on flat road.

Tail wind, 55km/h cost me about 65 watts which is basically turning over my biggest gear with not too much effort.
Head wind, 15km/h cost me about 300-450 watts depending on the wind which for me is unsustainable over time. I can ride at 170 watts pretty comfortably for an extended period of time.

The sad part is any time we were going downhill with a decent chance to try pick up the speed it was just too windy and dangerous. Oh well next time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comprehensive report back mate; more importantly, well done :cheers:! 250km and those conditions. You’ll be able to drawn on that experience for a long time to come. Really glad to hear you didn’t get caught up in anybody elses accidents either, that would have been a real bummer.

How did you pull up the day after?

just found this thread. I been riding mtb for exercise since i retired here 4 years ago. Do about 30km 4 times a week, usually in the morning, before its too steamy. A mix of road and trail IMG_0490.JPG

Thanks for the comprehensive report back mate; more importantly, well done :cheers:! 250km and those conditions. You’ll be able to drawn on that experience for a long time to come. Really glad to hear you didn’t get caught up in anybody elses accidents either, that would have been a real bummer.

How did you pull up the day after?

Thanks mate 👍.

Surprisingly pulled up really well yesterday, just a bit of stiffness in the legs.
Today however my thighs are actually sore, I probably should have but didn't go for a short ride yesterday to help with that. I'll go for a relaxing 20km tonight after work to see if it helps.

A hearty congratulations to you, @Shaun. Impressive effort no doubt.

I think we should all band together and start a Kickstarter campaign to raise money to ban wind from sporting events. We've all had those days when we wish the wind would just piss off. :lol:

A true bout of punishment taken like a boss - that's what cycling is about: ride hard or go home.

I can't say I'd be tempted into anything like that anytime soon without months of training but I'm only a few days away from getting back on my mountain after the bike goes in for a compete service and all new parts tomorrow morning. Now I have a GoPro I can also get it on film so you can all experience the pleasure of me swearing all the way up an 11km, constant 9° climb I haven't ridden for 9 months. :)

Again, congrats, @Shaun. :cheers: :bowdown:

This week my bike had a full service and new cassette, chain and cables all round.

Yesterday I had the urge to ride my local mountain with a fresh bike and with over 2 weeks smoke free.

I did a short warm up around town first and started the climb. Things were going well considering it was the first time in 9 months I'd been there. Legs felt good, lungs felt good, heart rate steady. After a few km I realised my seat was set a little too far forward and my bars were positioned slightly too high but it didn't cause much of an issue at that point.

As I'd started the climb later in the day once it was cooler and have been used to Europe's later sunsets I made the mistake of riding without a front light, all I had was a red blinker on the rear. Big mistake indeed. Just 2 km from the top it got dark within just 5 minutes and this mountain road has no lights on it. I made the choice to turn around and head back down while I could see and it was probably the scariest descent of my life. No light, quite a bit of traffic, corners I don't remember and worst of all, because my bars were too high I couldn't ride comfortably in the drops so had to make do with the hoods for braking which was seriously painful after a while. Awful experience.

I think I'll give it another ride again today if I have time and make sure I have plenty of daylight for the way down so I can have some high speed fun.

Mad skills. Lovely scenery too.

That vid popped up as recommended recently but I thought I'd already seen it for some reason. Guess I hadn't.

5/7.

I made the choice to turn around and head back down while I could see and it was probably the scariest descent of my life.

I think all of us that have ridden for a bit have experienced that in some form.
For me it was in the wet and rain one time thinking this is nuts but I could only imagine the dark being even worse because at least in the wet you slow right down and actually see where you are going.

Good to hear you are getting out on the bike again though, ease into it and all will be good. 👍

@TB it's not often I watch mountain bike stuff but that's just crazy some of the stuff that he was pulling off, almost makes me want to get a mountain bike but them again I'd also like to live to see the kids fully grow up. :lol:

Good to hear you are getting out on the bike again though, ease into it and all will be good. 👍

I have to say, although I did no leisure cycling or work outs in the UK my commute there has really upped my stamina and I really miss that old junker that I had there, it was a perfect fit even if it was near the end of its life.

Lost a kg on the ride last night so I suppose that's something, not that I've ever come close to being over weight but I've got around 5kg more weight now than when I was last here.

What an unfortunate occurrence.

I had a lovely ride out of the city to my favourite pizza place where I took on some calories and then headed towards the mountain, not to ride up it but to enjoy some time at the reservoir at its base where I could go watch the fisherman. On the way to the lake I hit some gravel trails which I had some fun on for about an hour and then spent an hour checking out the fishing.

On the path out of the reservoir I found a small asphalt trail I'd never noticed before and went speeding along that. I think it was at this point where I must have punctured my tube. I felt something go a bit strange but thought I'd clipped a crack in the road. I was going well too fast for the terrain and have nobody else to blame.

A few hundred metres down the road I realise that I'm going flat but it retained enough pressure to ride on slowly as long as my weight was over the front wheel, a la Froome's mad descending position. This limping got me a few km but I still had at least 6-7km to go before civilisation and then another few before I knew where I could find a bike shop and by now the tyre was too flat to take any weight. So I walked.

Burnt, dehydrated, tired and alone, wearing flip-flops it took me over 2 hours to get to to the bike shop where I had a new tube put in and sharply made my way home.

It's rare for me to go long distance (more than 30km) without carrying a spare tube and a mini pump but I didn't bother with a bag today and went light weight. I also don't usually treat my road bike like a mountain bike and go tearing down rough terrain. I made sure I bought some nice chain oil at the shop to apologise for abusing the bike and tomorrow it'll get another full clean and oil.

Got some cracking tan burn lines though from all that walking without shade:

IMG_1626.JPG
IMG_1627.JPG
IMG_1628.JPG

Please excuse the low quality images, I only had my phone at hand. And those pants are fresh and clean, so excuse them too. ;)

Latest Posts

Back