The biking thread

Partly yes as it all adds up but as a general rule the tubeless tyres are heavier due to the sidewall behing more robust to be able to hook in to the wheel.

Not that the weight really matters though in the real world. I have a set os Schwable tubeless tyres that came with a set of wheels I have. When the current Continentals I have on there wear out they will be going on.

My tyres are shredded and need replacing. I'm pretty sure it's their old age and poor condition causing me flats more often. They still hold the road well but I'm sure a new set will be more suitable. I'll stick with 28s like I have now and I really liked the Schwalbes I had in London so I might try and find some more of them although they were a bitch to fit.

20170312_210531.jpg

I finally found the road bike, @Shaun!

She's a 2014 Specialized Roubaix. Sure, it's "only" Sora gear but it's a huge upgrade from the GT. Full specs here for anyone interested.

Of course, it's snowing so it'll be a while before she hits the road but I'll be ready. That just gives me time to get things adjusted on all three bikes - my GT is going to my son, my youngest is getting my oldest's bike and we're likely going to sell his bike (also my old Schwinn Super Stock 1) so there's plenty to do before spring!

I'm looking forward to some much longer rides than last year.

Roubaix is an excellent choice @TB it has a bit more of a relaxed geometry than a full on road race bike and also those little shock absorbing thingies in the rear stays and forks that are supposed to help and remove some road buzz. 👍

I'll be keeping an eye on Strava. ;)

Custom bikes are making a bit of a comeback @Sprite, they have always been there but getting more popular.
As it turns out I'm about 10km away from the makers of not only one of Australia's most desirable custom made bikes but that of the world. The guy who's business it is Darren Baum served his apprenticeship with a mate of mine as an aircraft mechanic and that's where he learnt to weld titanium.
Sadly being a mate of a mate doesn't qualify me for a significant discount as the frames run to around $8k to $10 depending on options. Factor in some top end wheels and components and you're looking close to $20 for a bike. Business is booming as the procedure is a $500 deposit to get a spot in the line and the current wait is a year before they measure you and start making it.
Oh well one day. :lol:
Some bike p0rn pics.

Also if anyone is interested @ExigeEvan perhaps a bike race kicked off this morning from the Indian Ocean to the Pacific Ocean, only problem being there is around 5500km of Australia in-between the two oceans. Totally solo with no help.

Also if anyone is interested @ExigeEvan perhaps a bike race kicked off this morning from the Indian Ocean to the Pacific Ocean, only problem being there is around 5500km of Australia in-between the two oceans. Totally solo with no help.
Interesting! Great to see it's unsupported too, that really adds to the fun. I was going to question the distance then checked and saw that they're going via Melbourne. That's grim! I definitely would be cutting to Mildura once i was near Adelaide!

On a similar vain, my old boss has just booked 3 months off to do the Great Divide mountain bike route, Canada to Mexico! That'll be much more interesting than the Aussie outback :lol:

Interesting! Great to see it's unsupported too, that really adds to the fun. I was going to question the distance then checked and saw that they're going via Melbourne. That's grim! I definitely would be cutting to Mildura once i was near Adelaide!

On a similar vain, my old boss has just booked 3 months off to do the Great Divide mountain bike route, Canada to Mexico! That'll be much more interesting than the Aussie outback :lol:

Yeah it's grim.when you realise they go via Melbourne to be able to take in the mountains in the Victorian snowfields just to rub it in a bit. :lol:

The guy who organised it Jesse Carlsson raced an event from memory the same as your old boss is going to do from Canada to Mexico.
He also won the trans America race which is longer than this by a bit but he thinks this will be harder, mentally at least due to the outback :lol:

TB
She's a 2014 Specialized Roubaix. Sure, it's "only" Sora gear but it's a huge upgrade from the GT.

Years ago I rode a borrowed Roubaix as my first road bike experience, it was insanely fast (at least compared to a MTB) but too much on the uncomfortable side, probably thanks to the 23 mm tyres the owner had on it. Seriously, who puts such tyres on a bike that has endurance and comfort as its main point? I guess it would have been a very different experience on some not-hard-as-rock 28 mms.

Then some time ago I went and bought this. Still waiting for the first ride, the ice on the roads hasn't disappeared yet.

crux040317.jpg

Years ago I rode a borrowed Roubaix as my first road bike experience, it was insanely fast (at least compared to a MTB)
I just got it adjusted this afternoon, then did my old bike for my son then his bike for the other son and went for about a 1 mile ride.

Fist observations - this thing just begs to go fast. As I was riding in jeans and a moderately heavy jacket (windchill is below freezing still) so I'll hold off making a few minor tweaks but all in all it felt good.
thanks to the 23 mm tyres the owner had on it.
I believe it has 25mm on it but coming from 1.5" (38mm) tires, they are quite stiff.
Then some time ago I went and bought this.
Very nice! Then again, I obviously have a soft spot for Specialized.

I had my first proper ride alone on the Roubaix and while it does still need some tweaking, and I need my cardio back, it felt great to be back outside after sub zero temps for so long.

Now if only Strava hadn't stopped tracking my ride 1/4 of the way into it...

Talking of mud.. I took my rear mud guard off my mtb as the weather had recently dried the trails up, gained like 20 seconds on one of the strava segments. Must of been dragging me down for months! :lol:

Though will probably go back on next time as its been pouring with rain all day and I'm not a fan of the crapped pants look 👍

Just a small update on the IndiPac race I mentioned a little while back.

To my amazement the leaders are about 4500km into the ride averaging about 400km a day. :eek:
Another couple of days and the leaders will be finished, conversely there are plenty that have pulled out and also thousands of Km's back.

I knew by a rough look of the course that they would have to go past my part of the world reasonably close but it turns out they go past my house about a 1km away and then through our little town.
Took advantage of this and the other night went and rode with Sarah Hammond for a bit who is coming in third and only a couple hundred Km's behind the guys that are leading.

First thing I asked was if she actually wanted company for a bit as I'm sure at times they would just want to be left alone. She was happy enough so I rode about 25km with her and another guy.
Nice to be able to offer the riders encouragement on the way through and by the look of Sarah many will need it as few days after passing past my area they hit the alpine region for a couple of very nasy climbs.

Some pretty inspirational stories coming from the race and not just the leaders.

I caught some clips on YouTube of some riders doing the IndiPac race (didn't know what it was at the time), crazy amount they are covering, 400km a day seems insane.

So it looks like the IndiPac leaders will finish tomorrow morning-ish.
Average of around 400-430km for the last 13 days is simply incredible. That is a long way to drive nevermind ride, gee flying that far is about my limit before it annoys the crap out of me.

Amazing stuff.

Last edited:
Double post sorry.

So today sadly the IndiPac reminds us as cyclists how vulnerable we can be as road users.
In terribly sad news Mike Hall the rider who was in second place at the time was struck by a car and killed, the race subsequently has been cancelled.
It's strange, I don't know the guy or even see him for that matter ride through my town but after watching the race progress on the tracker and keeping up with all the news and videos via Facebook etc it feels like I almost do know him. Have to admit the news hit home pretty hard.
There has been so many pictures come out of the race but this one will always be the one I'll remember.

17434632_409466149428775_979212761848080894_o.png

RIP Mike.

I've been following bits of the Indypac on Youtube. It's an epic race, easily on par with the Transcontinental (Europe) and Race Across America, if not harder due to the Australian climate and rural regions.

I don't know why I'm not getting updates from this thread anymore. Anyone else subscribed but not notified of new posts? It seems to only be this thread that has the problem.

Had to bring it here rather than clog up the new purchase thread but I'm so happy that I've found a bicycle shop-pub-restaurant within spitting distance of my new digs (as the crow flys).

It's great news for me as I lamented the exclusion of Eurosport on the tv in my new house as I've already missed so many of the spring classics and was about to miss the Paris Roubaix tomorrow until this beauty appeared with its race-playing TV and cold beer selection.

It's also on my route home from work so I might pop in for a swift larger every night after school to see if I can build up any 'mate's rate' relationships.

I'll answer in a little more detail later @W3HS but that is great news especially in the middle of classic season.

Few snaps from today's ride. It's about 15 mile loop, basically follows an old railway line across a section of Dartmoor that used to be there in like the 50s. Surprisingly flat area, the drive out there was very up and down. I guess trains didn't do hills back then! Lovely weather though, bit sunburnt now.

aMpFaAy.jpg

T1e1XBv.jpg

glgHMYE.jpg

ZNwh7uL.jpg

vCmwObJ.jpg

0A1AoaH.jpg

UXr1lNK.jpg

a28TvVS.jpg

@Shaun knows as he's already made fun of me for it ( :P ) but Strava hasn't been playing nice for me. I went on a 16 mile ride in about 70 minutes and when I got home, Strava had recorded 8 seconds and I didn't even make it out of my driveway.

Today I went on a ride, got home and it said that I'd ridden for 2.3 mile in 10 minutes then stopped. Mapping the ride in Google maps, it was 22.7 miles but I have no idea how long it took. All I know is it certainly felt like I was fighting a head wind the entire time. I think I have it narrowed down to a power savings mode that's turning off the GPS.

For anyone interested, this was my ride today:

ride.PNG

Mentioned in the Recent Purchase thread, I signed up for a 26.2 mile ride next month.

Click image for a slightly larger pdf.

I'm not concerned with the distance, only the questionable weather but if the extended forecast is anything to go by, it should might be absolutely perfect.

Capture.JPG

Now to get really serious about weight reduction stage 1...

I don't remember seeing this posted in here. There are some seriously messed up what the hell moments!

The new chain showed up today and it's about 5 links too long. I didn't figure it was a problem as I have a chain breaker. Problem, though, is I can't get the link to pop out. I did some looking and it doesn't look like there are but are there different sizes for the pin that pops the link out? Or am I just not cranking hard enough?

Without actually seeing it @TB I would guess you are not cranking hard enough as it does take a bit of effort.
I'm reasonably sure the pins are the same size for 9 10 and 11 speed. Put it this way I've used mine on all those varieties without any problem.

I would guess you are not cranking hard enough as it does take a bit of effort.
Granted it's been quite a while since I've done one so I don't remember how hard I had to crank but I had a 10" long wrench for leverage and it still wasn't moving! :lol:

I'll try again tomorrow after work.

TB
but I had a 10" long wrench for leverage and it still wasn't moving! :lol:

Um that should be plenty :lol:
Check that the point is pressing on the pin and the pin only, I've had that happen to me when the point of the chain breaker was ever so slighly pressing on a link also.

Check that the point is pressing on the pin and the pin only
I did that, flipped the chain over to see it that would help, tried the other position but the chain didn't fit there. Nothing seemed to work. It's too late and cold to try again right now so I'll regroup tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips, @Shaun!

Back