The Bill Cosby Situation

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 196 comments
Beyond this... what? There doesn't seem to be any progress with the pending cases, at the moment... and I'm wondering if Cosby will continue to evade conviction.

Not that his career and legacy aren't completely in tatters, at this point...

Doesn't the statute of limitations offer protection in some of the allegations?

Two of the women testified that they willingly took the drugs:
Doesn't matter. A woman can go drinking with, get drunk on purpose, and pass out while in your presence. That's not an invitation to play hide the salami.

I wonder how long it will take after he dies before we can watch The Cosby Show on TV again.
Little Bill is still on Amazon Instant Video. My daughter loves it. I still haven't determined how I feel about it. She doesn't know about any of this and doesn't even know who Bill Cosby is, other than the guy that hands Little Bill his hat in the opening credits.

Doesn't matter. A woman can go drinking with, get drunk on purpose, and pass out while in your presence. That's not an invitation to play hide the salami.
Does matter. One can knowingly take drugs and consent to sex. Nowhere in the quoted article does it say that the two women who knowingly took the drugs, had sex against their will.

Two of the women testified that they willingly took the drugs:
... and were subsequently raped.

Cosby's own testimony proves that he did obtain and use drugs with the intent of giving them to women in order to have sex with them.

Scores of women have been saying for years that Cosby used drugs on them - this testimony proves at the very least that this is a fact, and a rather important one at that.

Whether the women knowingly took the pills or not is a moot point and at least one of those who knowingly took pills from Cosby also said that she had no idea what it was (and hence wouldn't have known what effect it would have). Many others have gone on record saying that they thought they had been drugged and were then raped. Again, whether some women took Cosby's drugs knowingly is irrelevant.

Does matter. One can knowingly take drugs and consent to sex. Nowhere in the quoted article does it say that the two women who knowingly took the drugs, had sex against their will.

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-p...al-woman-accuses-cosby-of-drugging-raping-her

She said she ended up at an after party. Therese said hours later it was just her and Cosby and that's when she says he offered her some pills. She said, "I took them, didn't know what they were didn't even ask. I just was intimidated I guess and I took them. Then my next memory is feeling drugged and him having sex with me."

Nowhere in the quoted article does it say that the two women who knowingly took the drugs, had sex against their will.

And nowhere does it say that they willingly had sex, only that they knew he was giving them qualude.

It does say

Article
Bill Cosby admitted in 2005 that he got quaaludes with the intent of giving them to young women he wanted to have sex with, and that he gave another sedative to at least one woman and “other people”

Article
Cosby later said he gave Constand three half-pills of Benadryl, although Troiani in the documents voices doubt that was the drug involved. The two other women who testified on Constand’s behalf said they had knowingly been given quaaludes.

Article
Cosby has been accused by more than two dozen women of sexual misconduct, including allegations by many that he drugged and raped them in incidents dating back more than four decades.

And that releasing the documents would

Article
also prejudice him in eyes of the jury pool in Massachusetts

I'm not sure I'd want to be defending him right now...

EDIT: Comprehensively tree'd by @Touring Mars :)

Throughout my entire life, even when a woman has indicated she wants sex, I have never had sex with someone who was intoxicated other than my wife, and that was a situation where everything we had done up to that point was for the purpose of having sex and the alcohol was just a part of the evening.

I pissed off a couple of girls in college doing that, but I wasn't one of the frat guys who hopped on any inebriated girl they found.

8535b3a64db6a0767c42d2b0cd3dbe8e.jpg

And nowhere does it say that they willingly had sex, only that they knew he was giving them qualude.

It does say

And that releasing the documents would

I'm not sure I'd want to be defending him right now...

EDIT: Comprehensively tree'd by @Touring Mars :)
The fact that they were witnesses and not plaintiffs would lead me to conclude they consented.

The fact that they were witnesses and not plaintiffs would lead me to conclude they consented.
Many of the incidents are beyond the statute of limitations, if I recall correctly. They may not be able to be plaintiffs but can be a witness to establish a pattern of behavior.

****ing Bill Cosby

Yep. That's the problem alright.

Edit: Just as a slight aside, has the American or Canadian entertainment industry ever had a sexual abuse scandal comparable in magnitude, severity or depth to the Jimmy Savile one which has decimated the British entertainment industry?

Cosby seems to be the first National Treasure brought down on that side of the pond. I can only hope that this isn't the first thread of a horrific unravelling. And that there are no threads which need unravelling.

Last edited:
Yep. That's the problem alright.

Edit: Just as a slight aside, has the American or Canadian entertainment industry ever had a sexual abuse scandal comparable in magnitude, severity or depth to the Jimmy Savile one which has decimated the British entertainment industry?

I don't know that there have really been any comparable ones recently, but Fatty Arbuckle's scandal is probably the worst in Hollywood's history.

This might be worse, not for the deeds done, but for the demolition of reputation. Savile was a developmental figure. Cosby was a generational figure. In other words, the former grew out of an industry or a culture. Cosby, on the other hand, created the culture. He was the man. A black paragon in America. Not anymore.

Yeah I see this possibly still going no where. It seems like it was a "Well, you're running out of time so if you want your money I'll do it" kind of case. They claim there's no evidence relating the two, so... We'll see how it goes.

I just wonder what he'll do in return if it pans out in his favor.

Cosby seems to be the first National Treasure brought down on that side of the pond. I can only hope that this isn't the first thread of a horrific unravelling. And that there are no threads which need unravelling.

I guess I was unfortunately wrong on this with regards to the Hollywood Me Too campaign.

First OJ, now Bill. And Eddie was in Norbit, so that might as well be the same as the other two.

Will no one black and popular in the 80s live their entire lives free of such scandal?

First OJ, now Bill. And Eddie was in Norbit, so that might as well be the same as the other two.

Will no one black and popular in the 80s live their entire lives free of such scandal?
What does being in a crappy film equate to a rapist and murderer?
BTW, there is still Emmanuel Lewis, Shavas Ross, Will Smith, Chris Rock and a bunch of others.

Back