The Cadillac thread

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 367 comments
I honestly never cared for Cadillac. All-time, I've only really liked the CTS-V of the 2000s. I thought the XLR was a pretty cool roadster. On the racing front, I loved the Northstar LMPs of the 2000s as well as the CTS-V race car like in the first Forza Motorsport. Among recent Cadillacs, I admit I like the ATS and the SRX. But again... I have never been much a Cadillac person at all except for the Caddies I made mention of.

Oh yes Cadillac, please, pleeeease!

pcwsyimezuh8hqlan8ix.png

Hnnnng. I love it. It looks like it’s on the 6th gen Camaro platform and I’m totally okay with that. I can’t make a sense of the scale of this thing because I’m also getting C7 vibes off it. The greenhouse of the aerial front 3/4 view gives it a C7 vibe. Especially at the rear with the quad exhausts at the sides and the taillights with what seem to be vents like the C7..... Can this be the return of the XLR?!

Hnnnng. I love it. It looks like it’s on the 6th gen Camaro platform and I’m totally okay with that. I can’t make a sense of the scale of this thing because I’m also getting C7 vibes off it. The greenhouse of the aerial front 3/4 view gives it a C7 vibe. Especially at the rear with the quad exhausts at the sides and the taillights with what seem to be vents like the C7..... Can this be the return of the XLR?!

I personally hope it's less XLR and more Elmiraj, to go fight with the LC500, 8 series, and S Class coupe. I wish Cadillac would actually use the rather brilliant names of its concept cars. Elmiraj, for example, is so much sexier than CT5.

I highly doubt this is going to be a concept. The body looks production-ready. I think it's a production model, with minor details that will change because of regulations (rear-view mirrors) and it will compete with the Lexus LC and BMW 8 series, etc. I also think this car will be based on the next Camaro chassis, not the current one. The current one is very good, but I think GM is taking the top-down approach and engineering things to be good enough for Cadillac, which ideally will produce platforms to make the lesser brands that much better. This is exactly what they're doing with the XT5 platform currently.

Allows you to put a large AND small pen in the centre console storage bin...

Shut up and take my money!

In all seriousness the interior design and functionality is impressive and it's such a pity they don't sell Caddy's here.

Last edited:
Allows you to put a large AND small pen in the centre console storage bin...

Shut up and take my money!

In all seriousness the interior design and functionality is impressive and it's such a pity they don't sell Caddy's here.

I think it's great value for money compared to other cars with the same technology.

I see the new US presidental Cadillac limousine has finally been rolled out. I would have liked to have seen a more edgy representation of the current design language because its a bit conservative but it still looks pretty cool and more imposing than the previous one.

I like the new Presidential Limo. Cadillacs in general are much better looking now than they were ten years ago, and the new limo follows suit.

2020 Cadillacs will have torque based badging
Cadillac announced today that, starting with the 2020 model year, it's adopting a new engine-naming scheme in which the powertrain designation will be based on its torque number. The automaker says that's to give buyers "a clear understanding of the power differences across the lineup."

The three-digit number, which will show up on exterior badging, comes from torque measured in newton-meters, which the automaker points out is an international standard of measurement that is recognized everywhere (we use pound-feet to measure torque in the U.S.). With the increasing use of turbocharging and electrification of future models, it's "all about the torque," says Cadillac president Steve Carlisle, so finding a way to quantify that in the engine name is what Cadillac decided to do.

The first example of the new naming scheme is the 400 badge seen here on the new XT6 crossover. That number corresponds to the 3.6-liter V-6's 271 lb-ft of torque, which is 367 newton meters of torque; Cadillac generously rounds it up to 400 and says it will round each number to the nearest 50. Every 2020 model-year and later Cadillac except for the V-series will get the new engine badges, starting with the XT6, Cadillac said. A "T" will denote turbocharging on some models.

This move is reminiscent of Audi's confusing powertrain naming scheme, which uses two-digit numbers that correspond with power output. These number badges don't appear on any U.S.-market Audi models, but the Audi consumer site does list models like the A6 3.0T with a "55" designation.
Car&Driver

Last edited:
Were there any studies showing names like DeVille and Seville, being unfavorable names by consumers? Or were tooling costs too much for Cadillac models with names?

I adapted to the CTS, STS and V Series, but come now...

Torque is a pretty good indicator of engine performance. The problem with it is that it's only a measure of work, which is, by itself, not very helpful. Any car could be badged as "400" if you geared it correctly.

Now if there was only a way to show how quickly that work can be completed. Maybe if you took that work number and divided it by the time it takes to do said work (perhaps with a standardized equation, like TQ x RPM / 5250 to just make something up arbitrarily), you would arrive at something that is more telling of how the engine performs.

:)

Chevelle SS 454 Sport Coupe 425-hp 4-speed (man. 4) in 1971 the model with 2-door hardtop coupe body and V-8 7443 cm3 / 454.2 cui engine size, 242.5 kW / 330 PS / 325 hp (SAE net) of power, 645 Nm / 476 lb-ft of torque.

402_p15_l.jpg

"Chevelle? Too confusing for Europe. Lets call it ...600"

Ooof. Why would they copy that detail behind the rear door from the Honda Accord? It doesn't look good on that car, and it doesn't look good here either. The whole thing gives me Honda vibes. The way the front-side grills are articulated reminds me a lot of the Civic Si/Type R. Not a fan.

I like the overall look. It's really starting to take cues from the Escala concept. Although I agree, the little detail in the C pillar is very odd. I guess it's trying to end the window at the same height as the tall trunk. It would have looked a lot better had it gone with the Escala's design

the-escala-concept-introduces-the-next-evolution-of-cadillac-design-1500x991.jpg

I think it's boring and not unique. Plus, they managed to make it look taller, shorter, and skinnier than the current car. The greenhouse shape gives it very odd proportions. That's a meh from me dawg.

Oof. It looks like it would pull off a Nissan altima badge than a Cadillac. Not sure how we go from the CTS and ATS to this thing.... Guess we'll have to pour one out for the 6mt 2.0t ATS, I've always had a soft spot for.

Back