The Caterham Cup - FinishedPS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 521 comments
Standings:
Caterham - I.jpg

Caterham - T.jpg

Richard I just noticed that it was you I collected when I spun at the end of 1st lap in the Seven (2nd) race, sorry about that!

Last edited:
And whilst we are saying sorry. :) Apologies for the "puddles". In a few races offline everything seemed grand, driving in the rain was quite manageable. Come online race time and the small puddles turned in flowing lakes. :scared:

I think someone had left a hosepipe running.

Last edited:
No worries Skip, we're all in this for the fun! Next monday we'll meet in the Highlands maybe this week we find time to do a team practise! :cheers:

Paul, if you have a dry race that turns into wet you'll only have puddles after some time of raining. However, if you start a race with the track already wet and it still rains for a while then the puddles will form quickly (if they're not already there at the start) and will surely remain long after the track has almost entirely dried out.

But it was fun because I guess we were all caught by surprise. Yesterday I practised (with Richard) a race that started dry and had rain come in for the last 5 minutes or so. So we had the chance to practise in and out of the pits, tyre changes and all that. But with those conditions the puddles never got to form, so I (and I suspect all others) didn't even know where they might appear.

Again ... it was fun, and I think in the end I learned how to master the puddle at the hairpin ... but not the one at the chicane, that one cost me a lot of time! :ouch:

Now imagine the drivers' real faces when those pictures of the 300/SP race were taken ... something like

1st spin "what just happened?!" :boggled:

2nd spin "here too?" :ill:

3rd spin "oh what a noob" :crazy:

4th spin "can't believe I fell again" :dunce:

5th spin "this is getting ridiculous" :irked:

6th spin "ok, NOW I'm pissed" :banghead:

7th spin "WHY, BUT WHYYYYY !!!!" :ouch:

8th spin "****!" :yuck:

9th spin "If I ever get to meet Paul he's gonna pay for this!" :grumpy:

and finally ... at race end ... "I just hope Richard forgot to record his ******** pov video and John didn't get any pictures ..." :embarrassed: :indiff:

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Nice run, 2.13,5xx is fast! I can't recall what I did when I tried this car sometime ago and the video I posted in page 3 of this thread doesn't feature a running timer, but we must be doing a very similar pace (as usual 👍 ). This should be fun, the track is amazing.

Did that last night also, using time trial. then did a summer practise (July) in "testing" and the car is totally different (much more grip)

Then had fun with a single race with odd setup. Summer but at 3.00 AM and with fog. And the grip was gone, every bump a dangerous trap.

The 19 AI cars (at 100) were fast but apart from getting used to traffic they're not much help here, faster than possible in some sections or corners and slower in others so it doesn't allow us to practise realistic racing.

Edit - bottomline is: the way to drive this car at this track and especially the way we can "attack" some corners changes radically with every change in track temperature.

Last edited:
@IfAndOr is hopefully running this as a summer race
Yes please. July, 2pm, sun beaming down,
But... the snow would soon melt then. And that would be no good. :P

What I will say is, that while the track temperatures will change during the both races it'll vary more in the Seven than the 300. And even then it's not too extreme.
Generally I set the weather/date to give the most grip but the longer races give me a little more chance to experiment.

*Donington was an experiment that went wrong on the day! I never spun once in my test races. :)

I've never seen so much pre-race practising before. You've got everyone in the mood @Hun200kmh 👍
I'd say consistency (staying on track) is more beneficial than outright speed up in the land of the haggis - Look out for wild haggis, they can sometimes wander onto the road.

Practice getting around the first 2 corners without crashing. We've had problems at Bannochbrae during race starts previously so take it easy until we spread out little - they are longer races and there's plenty of time for overtaking later.

Last edited:
I've never seen so much pre-race practising before. You've got everyone in the mood @Hun200kmh 👍

As long as people practise because it's fun I'll gladly take the blame. :) Back in the day when I was a regular at these things the group I was in had a very open attitude to practise, and the random meets ("who's up for some practise later") in the days leading up to the event were almost as entertaining/fun as the event itself.

Some in my old group were more open than others with the sharing of setups (something that isn't a issue here) but laptimes, what gear in what corner, braking distances, lines to take etc were all things everyone talked about openly, and that's how it should always be. 👍

So, I just hope nobody from this group (well-established before I gate-crashed here :D ) thinks I'm one of those "much too serious" players that only want to win. I couldn't care less, you guys gave me the close & fair racing I was looking for. In all honesty, in the two tracks we already did I won all the 4 races I started from pole, and exactly NONE of the others, yet it's these defeats I remember more and these are the races I cherish more.

Sorry about the rambling but it seems I somewhat contributed to a change in your previous habits regarding practising in your cups/championship events and I guess all I'm saying is that I didn't do it with ill intent. :dopey:

No need to apologise @Hun200kmh .

I suspect people practised before (I know I did) they just did so on their own, mostly. Introducing a few ad hoc practise sessions is great; it adds to the interest in the championship.

I also like the idea of posting videos of individual practice sessions; the more we learn from each other, the more likely we all get better, and the better the racing becomes.

As long as people practise because it's fun I'll gladly take the blame. :) Back in the day when I was a regular at these things the group I was in had a very open attitude to practise, and the random meets ("who's up for some practise later") in the days leading up to the event were almost as entertaining/fun as the event itself.

Some in my old group were more open than others with the sharing of setups (something that isn't a issue here) but laptimes, what gear in what corner, braking distances, lines to take etc were all things everyone talked about openly, and that's how it should always be. 👍

So, I just hope nobody from this group (well-established before I gate-crashed here :D ) thinks I'm one of those "much too serious" players that only want to win. I couldn't care less, you guys gave me the close & fair racing I was looking for. In all honesty, in the two tracks we already did I won all the 4 races I started from pole, and exactly NONE of the others, yet it's these defeats I remember more and these are the races I cherish more.

Sorry about the rambling but it seems I somewhat contributed to a change in your previous habits regarding practising in your cups/championship events and I guess all I'm saying is that I didn't do it with ill intent. :dopey:
Mario,
It is wonderful to have you here...I am not trying to be a loner or misfit, but I fall into the category of preferring to practice alone.
I have other issues that go on in my life (of a health nature) that make it difficult to sim drive in the afternoons, which correlates to your evenings. So I grab practice time as I can in my busy mornings or later at night (after nappy) while you guys are sleeping (I presume?).
Some weeks I don't get any practice time before race day, but I will then do some practice an hour or so before race...but still alone because I know the tracks well, but I mostly need to concentrate on the cars we are using on those tracks. I know I could get a lot better if I had the life situation that allowed me hang with you guys on off days and so forth...but I just cant right now.
You are very correct that practice makes the racing experience much more fun...as I know from years ago in the GT6 league days when I drove as often as possible to be the best I could be! Long time ago!
I know I am out-rambling you here, but last point is I have an old friend here in US that likes to getogether once a week and race around while chatting about things, casual and just for fun, and I do that with him until I am just too tired.

Oops..hit the send button too fast! When I can, like that first time you asked, I Will enjoy joining you and others...but it will be an irregular thing. Some days I feel more energetic than others...vroom, vroom!

Last edited:
but it will be an irregular thing

For different reasons but with the sane result I can relate. I have an hour alone in the morning, and then the days my kids are with me I have a few hours after they've been thrown to bed. So highly irregular. Pre covid I was travelling due to work so often I didn't get home most of the week. That'll pick up again later on I suppose.

So just a meto post I guess :gtpflag:

Hi, is it way too late to request to join? even if there was a space? My PSN name is Pantheons. Just getting a bit bored of the limited options with the online hosts.

Did some practice laps at Scotland... looks like there's quite a way to go still despite the improvements... this is. The stable setup with brake bias pushed to 60.

Thats an amazing track and ive never tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, is it way too late to request to join?
Hi Simon?

There's still a couple of free spaces available so you're most welcome to join. I'll send you a friend request.
We're onto the 3rd race of this current series this coming Monday so you might have missed the chance of glory :). But if you're just after a bit of fun with like minded clean drivers you'll be good to go.

Just have a glance on the 1st page and pick any car numbers/colours that aren't already taken. Any questions, just ask.
@Hun200kmh - who has joined us this session - has already asked a few pertinent questions, so your answers might be amongst those.

Chaps - if you could perhaps "friend" Pantheons and maybe invite him to any practice sessions you hold that'd be helpful.

Back