The Caterham Cup - FinishedPS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 521 comments
Ooooooo..I hope not!:crazy:
It'd be tactics Skip, got to use team tactics. Let your buddy through hinder everyone else - again within reason and fairly. There's a difference between hinder and blocking. :)

Anyway I've spent much too long typing here on GTP, i must go out for a walk. I believe there's something out there called "fresh air". I must keep an eye out for it.

It'd be tactics Skip, got to use team tactics. Let your buddy through hinder everyone else - again within reason and fairly. There's a difference between hinder and blocking. :)

Anyway I've spent much too long typing here on GTP, i must go out for a walk. I believe there's something out there called "fresh air". I must keep an eye out for it.
Ahhh....you would like it here in Missouri. I walk whenever I can because the air quality being away from any big city is wonderful! 👍:cool:

Meanwhile, me and my team mate Skip have arranged to meet, chat and practise this afternoon, 6 PM GMT so if anyone wants to join I'll have a running public lobby (worry not, some curious folks step in only to immediately decide it's too difficult for them and go away), and will add AI if Skip isn't against it.

Cheers all, have a great weekend :cheers:
I would join if it was 1-2 hours later :)
I tried both cars yesterday and sadly can say I can’t deal with 300 :(. Cars like this or Radical is a mystery for me. I set AI 100/100 and I am 2 seconds per lap faster with 620 and 2 seconds slower with 300. Maybe I need much more practice with 300 :(

sadly can say I can’t deal with 300
With the 300 due to the tyres and extra downforce you have much more grip than you may realise. You can "attack" the corners at a faster pace than you may be doing now. More throttle actually makes it dig in. It's got really good brakes too. I did find balancing it on the brakes around corner helped to prevent oversteer.
Basically treat it as a small race car.

Remember chaps if you are struggling you can make use of traction control or ABS. You do need to go to the game's general options and enable its use first. If you have authentic active it won't work.

Seem to have been afflicted by some form of food poisoning which has turned me into some form of toilet dwelling goblin.
Oh dear, I hope you quickly improve. but it does give me yet another chance to post my usual picture.
I'll make it small this time.
fdd769f5b06ef3db1d04ab9e6efc70bd.jpg

and thank goodness for the dropped score...!
Er...
No dropped scores.
It made scoring easier, particularly with the teams.

See the rest of you all later.
Note the track limits are of for this series - it'll just make it better. I don't think any of us will deliberately abuse it.

And I've spent a free afternoon getting some dates and time of day set for the Banochbrae races. Bathurst to do. There might be a couple of small changes to the format for these longer races (nothing drastic) and I'll update the info at some point

Last edited:
Thank you for your pov video Richard, and thank you John for the pictures! 👍

Sadly I forgot to broadcast to Youtube AND also forgot to save the race replays ... :ouch:

A brief account of my experience. Races 1 and 3 have no history because I got pole and with a clean start off the line all I had to do is manage the lead. Also helped that they were short races. So, the most memorable races for me were the second, longer races, with a random grid.

In the "Seven" race I started from last row and tried to carefully gain positions. I remember hitting a difficult spot, at about half the race, when I met two players battling it out on track ( beachboy66 in 4th and and half_sourly in front of him, 3rd), very close to each other. All I could do was to add some extra pressure to beachboy66 and wait for an oportunity. And it presented itself close to the end of the 7th minut of the race when they both touched and - I think - got off track, but I got to sneak past and got from 5th to 3rd (you can see those positions instantly changing at 33:55 of Richard's video). With 7 minutes to race I did my best to catch up with Richard out in front but it was a tall order and my gains were marginal so when I got to him (penultimate lap) I knew I would not be able to pass unless Rich made a mistake. And apparently this was my lucky race because that's exactly what happened, Richard clipped the very tall kerb entering the start/finish straight, his car got unbalanced and while regaining composure he lost speed so I was able to pass (you can see it at 38:28 in Richard's video). After that it was the last lap, xeronima was way out in front (and being very fast) so all I had to do was keep my focus to not lose that position again and just take the car safely to the flag. Amazing race, one of the best I have made in many years of playing, this 2nd place was the highlight of my participation yesterday.

The 300 SP race I have to say was a less than stellar race for me, but anyway it was also fun to do a back to front effort (not as from the back as before though, I started somewhere in the middle of the grid). Because these cars are faster and harder to drive it was much more difficult to gain positions while at the same time keeping out of trouble. I had noticed both xeronima and gu1tar3rich started further back than me (with xero handicapped by a severe penalty), but that this time the front of the race was being led at a very fast pace by Simba2009Lora, closely followed by IfandOr. So, I did my best to get back into striking distance and, after following IfandOr for a while I did manage to claim 2nd position from him, still 3 seconds adrift from the race leader Simba2009Lora (at about 1:20:00 in Richard's video, meaning with 5 minutes left of racing). So, I had to try ... :D ... and so I did, but as with Richard in the Seven race, my only hope against Simba2009Lora was that he would make a mistake under pressure. And well ... he didn't, it was my turn to let my eagerness take over. I think apart from us only Paul (following us) knows this, but, coming to the last corner of the last lap, I tried to get side by side (stupid move I know) and in the end shunted him into the grass. So I had to wait for him to regain the track and in the end not only I didn't win, but also lost 2nd place for Paul. Oh well ... :dunce:

Nevertheless, and despite this :irked: ending, it was again a race that I had great fun doing. Time flies when you're having fun and that surely happened yesterday.

Last edited:
Seems I did a mistake not using TC, your car looks more stable
don't think i have Tc bud .. lose seven stable three

Glad you enjoyed it .. Mario .. think you might get a different simba next week .. his crown might fall ....

Last edited:
Because I forgot to turn the options off after experimenting with TC and ABS in Mario's practice session I did run with TC set to low on both cars. It's really not very intrusive at all on low. I found it helped if you just clip the grass or run over one of those slippy Pcars kerbs. Setting it to high I found, for me, made the cars less fun. ABS I turned off in the Seven, since I didn't really need it, and eventually turned it off in the 300 once I'd got into a rhythm.

I recommend that if you are having trouble with the cars experiment with the aids to see what settings suit your driving style best. You might as well have as much fun as you can and they are there to use. And I'm all for close racing. ;)
(Stability control isn't currently available - but if some of you want it I'm willing to allow it.)

Anyway it all seemed to go off quite well. Generally the latest format seemed to run pretty smoothly and the session length was good, we ended on time. Hopefully you all had some fun, at least here and there. :)
Any comments on tweaks or changes before the next race are welcome. As long as they are not too drastic!

Great photos John. Nice race write up Mario.

Scoring tables on page one are updated.

Back