The Coffee Thread

SuperShouden

(Banned)
SuperShouden
I myself am a bit of a coffee nut. I have tasted coffee that was just the best, and coffee that has left me feeling queezy afterward and made my insides hurt. (yes it does happen.) But I've also roasted coffee.

However, coffee is more versitile than people think. The coffee we normally think of is actually the pit of the coffee cherry or berry. The cherries can, actually, be eaten and I've heard they're quite good. The blossoms and fruit can also be brewed into a tea known as "coffee cherry tea" or "coffee blossom tea" which is also supposed to be good.

Used coffee grinds actually provide good fertilizer as all used plant material does. And I believe a lot of the coffee growers use some of the grinds they use to help grow their coffee.

But anyway. This thread shall be about coffee stories, good and bad, and your experiences with it.

"Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love." --Turkish Proverb

Last edited:
Id be in the minority that i dont drink coffee. Ive had less than 10 cups of coffee in my life (only had one when i really needed a pick up cause i was literally falling asleep) I do like ice coffee but again its something ive barely had. I just dont like the idea of being addicted to something or relying on it to get through a normal day. I prefer to keep it to something i can use in rare circumstances. I have one coffee and it makes a massive difference, some people need 3 just to function.

I just dont drink Redbull/V/energy drinks or coffee.

Though Redbull and Jager is the only exception.

I drink Coffee and cortaditos. In regards to the latter, I'm a Bustelo guy. Pilon is awful.

Illy makes a great cappuccino. Haven't had their coffee.

I've never once had coffee, and I don't plan ever to drink it. I'm pretty good at staying awake on little rest, and I've always been extremely sensitive to caffeine, which gives me headaches and makes me unable to sleep. Like Small_Fryz, I also don't like the idea of becoming dependent on something. However, like many people, I love the smell of coffee even if it doesn't make me want to drink it.

I'm a strange person, and for whatever reason, coffee calms me down. What ever, that just means drinking coffee in the morning is useless and drinking it at night is perfectly fine.

I actually only drink coffee when, either my mom goes to Starbucks (meh) or I go to my uncle's house, and he fires up his espresso maker. That thing is LOUD, but it makes a mean Americano.

What I usually drink is; two shots of espresso, steamed milk, and two teaspoons of sugar. I usually eat cookies with it too, or when I don't, I put in three teaspoons.

Yeah, I've got a sweet tooth, I'm 15, I'll get over it.

I hate coffee. 👎
Just the smell of it, especially walking into a Starbucks or any coffee shop, or passing a coffee roasting place, turns my stomach. :yuck:
I drink a lot of black tea though, usually PG Tips from England, typically 2 or 3 cups a day, and occasionally Japanese green tea too.

Oddly enough, though I don't like coffee, I do love very dark, heavy beers too :drool:, which some people say taste a lot like coffee.
I don't tend to think so, bar a few that have been specially brewed with coffee added. :ill:

As a Canadian it's obvious that my favourite coffee is a double double at Tim Hortons.

SuperShouden, you WOULD start a thread about coffee and talk about how much you love it :lol:

I really enjoy coffee, but I usually end up just drinking drip from home since it's the cheapest. If I really want, I can go to a good local coffee shop, but I don't usually.

Small_Fryz, just because someone drinks coffee doesn't mean he/she will be addicted to caffeine. I think that for many people, as long as they don't drink a lot of coffee consistently, they won't be addicted at all.

SuperShouden, where in Washington State are you in? What's your favorite coffee place in WA/your area?

Love coffee myself - a double espresso is my morning wake-up every day and I must confess to drinking too much of it during the day.

I've given up all my other vices, so coffee is one I am clinging to.

However I am a fussy bugger, will not drink instant coffee (nasty stuff) and I don't take milk with it (ruins the flavour). The only time I will have sugar is if its Turkish coffee, in which case the proverb quoted earlier is very, very accurate.

As far as blends go, I do like Blue Mountain, but the cost makes it a rare treat; so for an excellent and reasonably priced coffee I would recommend Monsoon Malabar.

Scaff

Not really a fan of coffee although i love pg tips. Being the english person i am, Although tea really should be with biscuits, perhaps some custard creams or chocholate digestives. Mmmmmm.

I've never once had coffee, and I don't plan ever to drink it. I'm pretty good at staying awake on little rest, and I've always been extremely sensitive to caffeine, which gives me headaches and makes me unable to sleep. Like Small_Fryz, I also don't like the idea of becoming dependent on something. However, like many people, I love the smell of coffee even if it doesn't make me want to drink it.

Coffee isn't for staying awake. It would be easier to do straight caffeine. You enjoy coffee for the flavor. Most of the coffee I drink is decaf anyway. Except for the cortaditos.

If I don't drink coffee in the morning I get a really bad headache. Pretty much any kind will do but I find it hard to drink instant these days. The coffee they sell in cans here in Japan is absolutely terrible.

When I want to enjoy a coffee though it has to be espresso.

Coffee rocks! Ditto on the morning coffee, my life is complete now I have a coffee machine that brews up in the morning before I've even got out of bed :D

No instant for me, it's hideous, hideous stuff. I'll either have an espresso from the room-shakingly loud Gaggia I bought, or failing that throw some in a cafetiere and hope for the best. In terms of coffee, I'll pretty much have whatever. I think I'm on something Guatamalan at the mo, which I bought purely because the manufacturer is based where my 2 flatmates come from. It's a very advanced coffee-screening process, as you can see.

The only good instant coffee is the Cafe Francais from general foods international for normal coffee and Bustelo instant for cafe con leche.

I had very little caffeine so I can go through an entire day with 7 hours of sleep. The only time I ever had coffee was during work in the last summer. I only had something like 5 hours of sleep and I had four sips of my coworker's coffee. Even though I hated the bitter taste it really did wake me up for the rest of the day.

I always need a coffee and a tylenol for hangovers; it seems to work wonders for that.

The only other time I drink coffee is for 'leisure' consumption, not as a pick-me-up in the morning (unless, as I stated, someone has a nasty hangover. . . like today.)

Also, this:

If I don't drink coffee in the morning I get a really bad headache. [...] When I want to enjoy a coffee though it has to be espresso.

I can sometimes identify with both of those sentiments.

SuperShouden, you WOULD start a thread about coffee and talk about how much you love it :lol:

I really enjoy coffee, but I usually end up just drinking drip from home since it's the cheapest. If I really want, I can go to a good local coffee shop, but I don't usually.

Small_Fryz, just because someone drinks coffee doesn't mean he/she will be addicted to caffeine. I think that for many people, as long as they don't drink a lot of coffee consistently, they won't be addicted at all.

SuperShouden, where in Washington State are you in? What's your favorite coffee place in WA/your area?

I'm on the east side of the state in the desert. However, I haven't yet been to enough coffee shops to really pick a favorite. However, Thomas Hammer is pretty good. :P but they don't serve Stumptown...if I can find a place that serves them here, they'll be my favorite.

Great Thread, i love my coffee.

My latest machine(one of many) is a lazy mans coffee machine, its the seco Modo capsule machine, it uses Lavazza pods and man am i loving it, about 10sec warm up time, pop in capsule and bam im sipping on a coffee, comes in many strengths and flavours.

Loving it!!!

This is the red i got, gives my kitchen a nice brighten up LOL

6a00d83451cbb069e201156fc3160c970b-800wi

I've never once had coffee, and I don't plan ever to drink it. I'm pretty good at staying awake on little rest, and I've always been extremely sensitive to caffeine, which gives me headaches and makes me unable to sleep.
I used to be the same way... until I went to college. :P I don't know a single engineer who hasn't used coffee to get through upper-division classes.

Having said that, I rarely drink coffee &#8212; it's mainly to get me through those days that I've had <2 hours of sleep the night before.

Great Thread, i love my coffee.

My latest machine(one of many) is a lazy mans coffee machine, its the seco Modo capsule machine, it uses Lavazza pods and man am i loving it, about 10sec warm up time, pop in capsule and bam im sipping on a coffee, comes in many strengths and flavours.

Loving it!!!

This is the red i got, gives my kitchen a nice brighten up LOL

6a00d83451cbb069e201156fc3160c970b-800wi

Oh god I want that. How does it compare to a traditional espresso machine taste-wise? My Gaggia's starting to come over all Italian and just makes lots of noise instead of actually doing anything, so maybe it's time to sell and move on. Particularly as it's such a faff to use and I bore easily. Not to mention it has a habit of spitting water and coffee grounds all over my kitchen.

Jon, it's a great little machine, seaco know there stuff that's forsure.

Taste varies from type of coffee eg the is choc flav and a scented flav and then u have strengths from decaf to strong and just released super strong. It got a nice lavazza taste and goes down well.
And for the same reasons as you I picked this machine up was sick of grinding, filling, packing waiting for machine to warm up and then hear noises like it's got a tracker inside trying to push the coffee out lol. Now it's pop in pre done pod press setting on top (they can be set to ur liking cup size etc) and I have a coffee in under 30secs no mess not nothing, and as such I now use it daily compaired to weekly or longer.
Well worth the same amount of money it is.

Jon, it's a great little machine, seaco know there stuff that's forsure.

Taste varies from type of coffee eg the is choc flav and a scented flav and then u have strengths from decaf to strong and just released super strong. It got a nice lavazza taste and goes down well.
And for the same reasons as you I picked this machine up was sick of grinding, filling, packing waiting for machine to warm up and then hear noises like it's got a tracker inside trying to push the coffee out lol. Now it's pop in pre done pod press setting on top (they can be set to ur liking cup size etc) and I have a coffee in under 30secs no mess not nothing, and as such I now use it daily compaired to weekly or longer.
Well worth the same amount of money it is.

Awesome, thanks 👍 Seems to be getting nothing but great reviews online too, so I might get on and order one tomorrow. Only dilema now is which colour to choose :mischievous:

My wife and I started drinking coffee 2-3 months ago and bought a Hamilton Beach Brewstation.

B001R4LK1Q.01._SX336_SCLZZZZZZZ_V217467332_.jpg

The reviews on it kind of suck, but so far we haven't had any issues with it. It's nice being able to set it at night and wake up to hot coffee as soon as you stumble out of bed.

Sadly, however, it didn't come with the mug. Or the severed arm. :grumpy:

To date, the only coffee we've had with it is Maxwell House (sucks but thankfully it's almost gone), Folgers (much better than the MH) and Folgers Gourmet Chocolate Truffle. I was looking forward to trying this one when we bought it last week but now it just sits in the fridge. Something about it almost turns my stomach the couple of times I've tried it.

Awesome, thanks 👍 Seems to be getting nothing but great reviews online too, so I might get on and order one tomorrow. Only dilema now is which colour to choose :mischievous:

OMG, i looked at the link for colours, you are in utter heaven there, In Australia we get a choice of 3 colours and of that only 2 really as the 3rd colour is a different model(but looks the same) so its the last 2 in Aus red or Black LOL.

That White grey one looks sexy, will not go out of date also and for a coloured one i seriously could buy any of them, they all look so good, good colour choices you have there, best of luck picking one LOL.

If you do buy one let me know what you think? and don't forget to bulk order pods saves the hassle of ordering online every few weeks/months.

@TB: Thats a crazy idea, so you can set the coffee machine to turn on at a certain time and have it nice and hot for when you get up, nice. How does the coffee work? do you fill it with beans or crushed coffee? and it does the rest?

Last edited:
Back