The Coffee Thread

And I believe a lot of the coffee growers use some of the grinds they use to help grow their coffee.
Is that a form of cannibalism? Feeding ground up coffee beans to other coffee plants?

I wouldn't call myself a connoisseur of coffee by any stretch, but I do refrain from drinking the stuff we have at the office.. that cheap crap I've dubbed "work coffee" (those of you that have had it know exactly what I'm talking about). So, I bring a cup of my own from home, then switch to tea (in the morning) or water (in the afternoon) when it's gone.

I don't drink it for the caffeine, either, although I don't drink decaf. Caffeine doesn't seem to have much of an effect on me in general (I once drank a Jolt and then went right to sleep.. I drank it because I liked the taste). For me, it's just drinking something hot in the morning that wakes me up. A nice hot cup of tea does the job just as well.

The odd "mixed up" part is that I'll take milk in tea but not in coffee.

I should mention that it's been proven that caffeine has the opposite effect on people with things like ADD. I started drinking coffee when I was younger 'cause it calmed me down and allowed me to focus on school work. It's also been proven that small amounts of caffeine can help one focus. College students that have a cup of coffee or two, usually do better than students that don't. Essentially, Coffee is an unusual and great drink that can be used in several ways and is, actually, pretty good for you. Even roasted coffee contains some antioxidents that it gets from the cherry it comes from. The coffee cherry is EXTREMELY high in antioxidents. In fact, they have some of the highest levels of antioxidents found in nature. The cherries, leaves and blossoms can be brewed into a tea, as well.

In short, coffee is the new incredible edible food.

@TB: Thats a crazy idea, so you can set the coffee machine to turn on at a certain time and have it nice and hot for when you get up, nice. How does the coffee work? do you fill it with beans or crushed coffee? and it does the rest?
You got it. Put the water in the bottom
48465-inset5.jpg

coffee (ground, not whole beans) in the top
48465-inset1.jpg

set the timer (and how long you want it to keep the coffee hot), go to sleep and wake up to hot coffee. 👍

Tip: Coffee shouldn't be kept hot for longer than about 2 or 3 hours. Any longer than that it'll burn. And burnt coffee is bad. Speaking of burnt coffee, STAY AWAY FROM GAS STATION COFFEE! No bigger tip than that.

Some stuff:
Keep ground coffee in the refrigerator. Coffee's flavor comes from the oils in the bean. If kept at room temp, the oils will seep out and the coffee not only won't be as flavorful, but then you get beans that stick to the sides of the container and that nasty looking oil-slick in the coffee. Keeping it in the freezer actually causes those oils to come out faster when the beans are ground. Storing coffee in the fridge slows down the release of the oils, prolonging it's flavor.

TB: thats is awesome, that defines the word lazy lol, i thought i was lazy buying the pod machine but that takes the cake, looks nice. How come its had some bad reviews? in terms of taste or build quality?

And SuperShoulden is 100% correct, make sure the coffee is stored in the fridge, dont take much for it to loose its kick.

TB: thats is awesome, that defines the word lazy
I wouldn't say it's lazy. If I wanted a cup of coffee with a "regular" coffee maker, I'd have to add coffee and water and turn it on to brew. With this, I still have to add the water and coffee, it just starts the brewing process without me. Same amount of work, unless you count not having to push the On button. :P
How come its had some bad reviews? in terms of taste or build quality?
The big bar/button at the bottom of the picture where they are adding the water is what you push with a cup to dispense the coffee. The valve that opens is, according to the negative reviews, set too far back so instead of going into the cup, it runs all over the counter instead. If you're using a Hugh Jass mug, I could see how it would be a problem. Regular cups, not so much. One little complaint I do have is that I can't fill our tall travel mug. Our short one works fine but my wife has usually already take it before I get there. :lol:

Also, is it wrong that I've actually considered throwing down for a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM Thermos and 24-105mm f4L IS mug?

1pcs_24_105mm_Le_4c1123c443bff.jpg

I just can't bring myself to spend $80 on it, regardless of how awesome they are. :scared:

I love coffee.I drink it everyday.Dunkin Donuts serves great coffee as well as Starbucks.While I'm not a fan of McDonalds at all,I have to say,they too serve some pretty good coffee.

My home coffee pot - a Bunn stainless steel,

672293.jpg

* Try adding a shot of Kahlua to your coffee. *

OMG, i looked at the link for colours, you are in utter heaven there, In Australia we get a choice of 3 colours and of that only 2 really as the 3rd colour is a different model(but looks the same) so its the last 2 in Aus red or Black LOL.

That White grey one looks sexy, will not go out of date also and for a coloured one i seriously could buy any of them, they all look so good, good colour choices you have there, best of luck picking one LOL.

If you do buy one let me know what you think? and don't forget to bulk order pods saves the hassle of ordering online every few weeks/months.

Shall do 👍

I happen to be going in the direction of a store that sells them tomorrow, so I'm gonna go feel one up and see what I think.

Love coffee myself - a double espresso is my morning wake-up every day and I must confess to drinking too much of it during the day.

I've given up all my other vices, so coffee is one I am clinging to.

However I am a fussy bugger, will not drink instant coffee (nasty stuff) and I don't take milk with it (ruins the flavour). The only time I will have sugar is if its Turkish coffee, in which case the proverb quoted earlier is very, very accurate.

As far as blends go, I do like Blue Mountain, but the cost makes it a rare treat; so for an excellent and reasonably priced coffee I would recommend Monsoon Malabar.

Scaff
QFT on the Blue Mountain coffee. It is the best I've ever tasted!
As I get older, I take my coffee with creamer and just enough sugar to take the edge off.
And that's Creamer. Not Cream! I don't generally like cream, as it has to live in the fridge, and it makes my coffee cold.
I know i'm in a minority liking powdered creamer, but it don't make my coffee cold.
A few years back, I was a coffee snob, and drank only "flavored" coffee.
Now I like "plain" coffee. The current, easy to get, coffee that trips my trigger is Dunkin' Donuts Coffee.
It's nearly as smooth as Blue Mountain.

Another of my favorites is Folger's Simply Smooth. The acids that are generally in coffee tear the crap out of my stomach if I drink more than 2 cups.

I'm also pretty fond of Gevalia Coffee. Though it's got caffiene a-plenty.
Folger's keeps me going thru my day. Two cups of Gevalia, not only tastes good, it keeps me on the caff-buzz for most of the day.

I have no love at all for Maxwell House. It is the "Keystone Beer" grade of coffee.

TB
I wouldn't say it's lazy. If I wanted a cup of coffee with a "regular" coffee maker, I'd have to add coffee and water and turn it on to brew. With this, I still have to add the water and coffee, it just starts the brewing process without me. Same amount of work, unless you count not having to push the On button. :P

The big bar/button at the bottom of the picture where they are adding the water is what you push with a cup to dispense the coffee. The valve that opens is, according to the negative reviews, set too far back so instead of going into the cup, it runs all over the counter instead. If you're using a Hugh Jass mug, I could see how it would be a problem. Regular cups, not so much. One little complaint I do have is that I can't fill our tall travel mug. Our short one works fine but my wife has usually already take it before I get there. :lol:

TB i was meaning lazy in reference to a normal coffee machine, were you have to get raw beans, get the grinder, grind to how you like it, then pack it and push it, fill machine with water, prep the pipe lines to get them hot, then put into coffee machine and wait as it drips out slow as anything and thats not even getting to the cappuccino lol

Im firing my coffee machine up now, all this coffee talk has got me hanging for nice cup of coffee.

Just posted a pic of my cino's in the whats eating/drinking thread.

Last edited:
Mmmmmm coffee...

I used to hate coffee. Hate it hate it hate it. The smell of the used grounds reminds me of a dirty ashtray :yuck:

I'm a tea drinker, having been brought up on PG Tips (see Smallhorses post!). However, something changed a few years ago and for some reason I ended up drinking a Mocha or similar. Since then I've become very adventurous and try all types! I bought a Senseo late last year for not very much £ at all. It gets uses several times daily and we buy the coffeepods from an online shop based in The Netherlands.

If I'm out and about, I will usually choose a skinny latte or a flavoured one if I'm feeling adventurous :)

oh yes Philips version, i was looking at this before i bought the Seaco, the only reason i bought my one is there was a rep that was demoing the unit and that twisted my arm after a few beautiful coffee's.

That unit is so cheap in Australia also, think its a great entry level machine, nice buy.

TB i was meaning lazy in reference to a normal coffee machine, were you have to get raw beans, get the grinder, grind to how you like it, then pack it and push it, fill machine with water, prep the pipe lines to get them hot, then put into coffee machine and wait as it drips out slow as anything and thats not even getting to the cappuccino lol
In that case, yes, I happily admit to being lazy. :P We're no where near grinding our own beans and everything that entails just yet.

Yet...

This is what we've got at the moment

photo_4b87d8a1ed63a.jpg

Pretty similar to TB's but just has a normal glass carafe on a hot plate rather than a snazzy dispenser. You can set it to come on at a specific time, it keeps it hot for 2 hours and it makes a decent brew although only filter not espresso.

I was using Lavazza coffee for a while but I actually prefer our supermarket (Tesco) own brand Italian ground coffee. I've tried grinding my own beans in a blender attachment but it must be an acquired skill as it wasn't very nice!

current-US-dolce-gusto-coffee-maker.jpg

We've got one of those, use it on a daily basis, drinking the americano pods. Personally find it to be amazing quality compared to what i used to drink, the pods keep the coffee perfectly fresh until use, with no mess. Aside from that I tend to buy the fairtrade ground coffee from the local supermarket, its very nice when fresh, but i can rarely (If ever) drink it fast enough to make the most of the freshness.

I tend to buy the fairtrade ground coffee from the local supermarket, its very nice when fresh, but i can rarely (If ever) drink it fast enough to make the most of the freshness.

Air tight plastic container and kept in the fridge will keep it fresh, I can't taste the difference from when it's new to nearly finished but maybe that's my ruined taste buds!

I love the taste of coffee, though I don't drink it too much due to the effect caffeine has on me. It really leaves me super electric for almost the rest of the day and I really have to do something that could tire me down, otherwise, I can't even sleep at night. In the next day it's like I'm having kind of a hangover.
Coffee for me, now, only on extreme situations. Shame, because, I really love it's flavor. :indiff:
And decaf it's not really the same thing.

Oh, and chewing coffee beans it's great. A bit bitter at first, but really awesome after a little bit.

Last edited:
This baby feeds my daily addiction,and even though I am a coffee fan not even in Cuba or Colombia,or even Brazil(never went to Italy that has also a great coffee culture-they don't produce it but they sure know how to enjoy it)I never tasted a better espresso...:sly:

I am not a big coffee drinker and could not tell you from one blend to another. If I do feel like having some I will get some from the Starbucks at work and get a Triple Grande-soy or none fat-latte.
My GF on the other hand is a big coffee drinker, she gets terrible headaches if she does not get her "fix."
Since I get up before she does I press some for her everyday. Her favorite is Peet's coffee I guess we have not ventured to others. Althought she has been wanting to try some bluebottle coffee.

I have a french press, and I love it when I have a need for a small amount of strong coffee.
It's good for 2 mugs.
My issue is it gets cold fast, and the resultant mess is pain to clean up.

This baby feeds my daily addiction,and even though I am a coffee fan not even in Cuba or Colombia,or even Brazil(never went to Italy that has also a great coffee culture-they don't produce it but they sure know how to enjoy it)I never tasted a better espresso...:sly:

Oh no George Clooney is in the house LOL.

I went to a car dealer about 2 months ago maybe less and they had this setup for customers, so me and my wife fired it up for a quick coffee and i might just add the taste was on point, it was super smooth and went down like a treat, this is a great machine indeed, i was shocked at how nice it was.

Id be in the minority that i dont drink coffee. Ive had less than 10 cups of coffee in my life (only had one when i really needed a pick up cause i was literally falling asleep) I do like ice coffee but again its something ive barely had. I just dont like the idea of being addicted to something or relying on it to get through a normal day. I prefer to keep it to something i can use in rare circumstances. I have one coffee and it makes a massive difference, some people need 3 just to function.

I just dont drink Redbull/V/energy drinks or coffee.

Though Redbull and Jager is the only exception.

I'm with you Dion, to the letter. Coffee doesn't taste good to me and people try to cover up the bean taste and fail. Plus I'm a control freak and don't like it when I have to rely on something to get me through the day (besides the internet that is).

Jerome

The only time I drank coffee was between the age of 10 and 15 y.o when I was on ski holiday in Austria. Austrian coffee is delicious!

I enjoy the taste of coffee but I hate the effects of so much caffeine. An hour or two later after drinking coffee, it usually pulls me right down and drowsy. Not a nice feeling.
I avoid it for when I'm working.

Click for HUGE!

EDIT: fixed, I really should check my posts once I've finished them!

Last edited:
Love the taste coffee. Favorite coffee comes a place in Pittsburgh called PrestoGeorge. Other than some random blends from him I like Lattes a lot.

Latest Posts

Back