The Crew 2 Closed Beta Begins Today

Alright, let's start from the very bottom - have you, on the screen you'd normally go to to equip new parts, clicked on (for instance) brakes and noticed that the left-most option is the stock part for that specific vehicle?

Lol I get it now, sorry way too used to the crap system from NFS Payback. So the parts you see under brakes for example are not only for the selected car, but they can be “seen” and used by other cars as well, as long as they are not equipped somewhere.

Big eye opener for me, thanks! :)

If you scrap them, do you get something back (like pieces of scrap to craft new parts from or something?)

So the parts you see under brakes for example are not only for the selected car, but they can be “seen” and used by other cars as well, as long as they are not equipped somewhere.

Correct. If the part isn't used on a vehicle, it is available to use on all vehicles of that particular "spec". Assuming, of course, it isn't a lower level than the vehicles' stock parts.

If you scrap them, do you get something back (like pieces of scrap to craft new parts from or something?)

Not at current, no, which is a bit of a bummer and the *one* point Payback has over this. It remains to be seen if it stays like this in the final release or if it changes later down the line. One can hope, right?

Getting used to the PC controls more with the planes and boats. Now I finished the main events and just grinding for Bucks and cars. Just bought the 124 Spider, which is my favorite cruiser in any game :)

Thanks @rallymorten !

Just 2 cool random things I noticed the last few days:

1) moving trains do exist and if a barrier over a road is down, you might find out about those trains the hard way like I did. :P
2) riding powerboats in the deeper ocean where there are waves is so fun :)
3) finding the beeping loot crates is fun and I start to get damn good at them now that I realise it’s not just the proximity of the car that determines the beeping speed, but also the direction your car “is looking at” determines if you hear a beep or not. Ooh and the plane/boat/car swap is handy for beep hunting, just make sure you loot the crate with the car division you want the part for. :)

99.99% sure I preorder this game and probably gold edition. Was waiting for Ubisoft to release season pass info first so they better hurry up! The early access part would be useless for me though as I’m on holidays from 18th of June until 2nd of July.

Ok 1 more question, with my Audi TT R.S. I looted a spoiler yesterday which then went to my customisation in my house. Is that spoiler then only available on the Audi TT R.S. or also all/most other cars?

So initially I was impressed with the beta. It's nice knowing you can buy pretty much every car in the game if you save for it, and upgrade them instantly if you have a 280 car. Grinding feels similar to Destiny where the parts you receive from events are RNG based, which isn't an issue for me since I'm used to it. There might not be many events to do, but for a beta given everything you're able to do, it definitely delivered. I also like how there are so many customization options for how your car looks.

PC here, is there any way to go into a more "precise" and slower movement/scale mode in the livery editor? Getting the precise measurements and positioning was the most annoying part for me of the TDU2 creator and it was something even Payback thought of with the shift key.

It's nice knowing you can buy pretty much every car in the game if you save for it, and upgrade them instantly if you have a 280 car.

Yes but that 280 is for the street race cars only. While what you say is true, getting that maxed out car, or better vehicle can/needs to be done for 14 divisions. There are 2 families with 4 sub-divisions (street race and pro race) and 2 families with 3 divisions (off-road and freestyle).

But from what I’ve seen in the beta I’m sure it will all pretty much come natural and don’t really feel too grindy. I think if you do all races for all families for all player tiers (rookie up to iron) that your main car in each division will be close to maxed, if not maxed. And if some divisions are lagging behind, you can always use those to pick up the “beep loot crates” or break the speed camera records with them, so you get loot crates for those car divisions.

My 700hp nismo r tune replica, love how the game has the entire nismo catalog of parts, this is my go to cruiser. Speaking of which, the sense of speed in this gamebis crazy, in 4th gear on boost this thing screams and pulls like a freight train, and exhaust backfire sounds like a shotgun.

Iv'e fallen in love with this game, i shared this livery in the livery studio if anyone wants to download it.

Not an exact replica, i'm waiting for the full game to go all out.

Edit: there is a "local" category in the livery decals section, i'm sure it's similar to gtsports where you download others decals like you can download other players liveries.

This game is on it's way to a 10.

I think it's time for this to have it's own subcategory in "racing games" this is going to be extremely popular and possibly the best selling racing game on PS4 next to gtsport.

Last edited:
I think it's time for this to have it's own subcategory in "racing games" this is going to be extremely popular and possibly the best selling racing game on PS4 next to gtsport.

Agreed, it even has a shot of knocking Forza Horizon 3 off its throne as being the best arcade racer of the generation so far.

Played the Beta for about 4+ hours yesterday, at first I was ecstatic but as time wore on it felt pointless and empty. There isn't much to do at all once you tried all the disciplines, the whole um Crew thing is even more pointless than it was in the last game. There should have been some sort of focused thread for you to follow like the original gave you, but this one is pretty sparse in that and you simply just do activities in a discipline until you reach the person at the peak of that whole thing. That's pretty tepid and boring if you ask me, Ubisoft should have put in a dedicated chase for the player to go after, at no point did I feel compelled to do anything other than make my car look better and get better performance parts and that got boring after a while. I guess you could chase better cars but I have a feeling this game will suffer exactly how the previous game did. It's just doesn't have a good hook to bring in players in droves.

There are no area factions or AI that are doing their own thing and you have to contend with them as well for position on race teams or anything like that, it's literally like open world without direction. I do like the boat racing and flying those were pretty interesting but lacking law enforcement to contend with we have nothing else besides events to take part in or hunt down some inane photo op. Someone at Ivory Tower forgot how to build an engaging open world, while it looks absolutely beautiful it's pointlessly boring once you get used to driving around and it seems that instance rooms are limited to 7 players from what I noticed any one see a higher upper limit? This game is a pass and buy from the bargain bin. Ubisoft are great at building huge and beautiful open worlds but they aren't so great at making them engaging and worth diving into at great length. This game needs some AI adversaries for the players to contend with, outside of races there is nothing or no one to contend with or interact with. Perhaps some random encounters with NPC asking you to do certain tasks utilizing your vehicle eh? This feels more like an expanded Forza Horizon, minus the hoopla and fun. Also the voice work is so stilted is not even funny, the VA sound like they are reading lines 100% no emotion even when there should be some enthusiasm for what you are doing.

Based on this, the game is not for everyone, you'll have to be someone who likes to make their own enjoyment. If you are used to a game giving you a reason to play, you'll hate this game for sure.

I think it's a bit harsh to already say the game is for the bargin bin, especially when we can only progress so much in the beta. Personally, as far as racing games are concerned, good gameplay matters more in the long run than anything else and The Crew 2 seems to have that down.

NFS Payback for instance has more of what you're describing. You have to beat different street racing teams and whatnot to progress and it has cops as well. But that game suffers from things like a terrible upgrading system that Ghost didn’t bother trying to improve until later, cops are underutilized and there isn’t any consequence for getting busted, only certain cars can be fully upgraded for whatever strange reason, among other questionable design choices. The driving is improved over NFS 2015, but that isn’t saying much. Cars still barely turn normally and brake-to-drift is king. On the other hand, The Crew 2 has good driving physics for an arcade game so it's a lot more fun. I’ve also seen quite a few people say they’re ready to drop Payback like a rock for TC2.

As for my own experience with the beta, I’ve put quite a bit of time into it despite the limited progression. I’ve played enough to get a close to maxed out RX-7 and a Nissan 370Z Touring Car, so I already see myself getting a lot out of this game. It also seems to have a lot to do singleplayer wise based on the locked events I saw, which is a big deal to me. I enjoyed traveling to events myself instead of teleporting to them, even if it took a while. I’ve never played the first game, so seeing what the huge map has to offer will be a big part of my experience. The only thing that’s going to need to grow on me is the upgrade system. I’m just so used to having to buy parts with money to upgrade things. But on the plus side, it’s good that I can focus my funds on buying vehicles instead of worrying if I should upgrade something or just buy something better.

All that being said, I’m getting the Gold Edition and I can’t wait for the end of June.

Apparentley the next driver level after Rookie is "locked", any way to progress further in the beta?
no it's locked in the beta. Only 3 events per discipline

The beta is only going to let you go so far, 97% of the game is locked, besides the map.

Last edited:
Apparentley the next driver level after Rookie is "locked", any way to progress further in the beta?
Grind the events that are unlocked, buy the vehicles needed for locked events, use them in whatever skill events you can, and upgrade parts for all of the disciplines possible. I think the most helpful discipline to go ahead and buy and upgrade is Drag spec because they are much easier to use than in TC1 and usually dominate any road skill events.

Just spent the last 2 hours going from Monument Valley to the northernmost, and tallest, point in the game Glacier Peak. Took my Escalade for the tarmac and swapped to the X-Class for the final few minutes of hardcore off-roading.

b1efdd12-9b98-4de9-ab60-aede71006a4e_Thumbnail.PNG

Just from what I've experienced in the beta TC2 looks like it could very well be my GOTY this year. It'll be a tough call between this and Horizon 4 but it is definitely looking like this will be an amazing game on launch. It honestly just feels like a spiritual successor to Test Drive Unlimited with great physics on every vehicle. As much fun as the racing is, I imagine most of my time on here will probably just be spent on road trips and exploring this fantastic map.

This is probably one of the only driving games where I'm actually content with keeping my car at the speed limit and just admiring the scenery instead of blasting past it at 200MPH.

I'm getting stoked from reading all the impressions here. :) Being the next best thing to Forza Horizon on PS4 would have been good enough, but if it's got FH3 fans considering the possibility that this has Horizon beat, that says a lot regarding improvements over TC1. Particularly in handling, customization, and overall polish.

Based on my experience with TC1 I had been thinking of holding off for a lower price, but after all I've read and seen I'll be getting this day one. I might even splurge on PS Plus to go with it.

I'm getting stoked from reading all the impressions here. :) Being the next best thing to Forza Horizon on PS4 would have been good enough, but if it's got FH3 fans considering the possibility that this has Horizon beat, that says a lot regarding improvements over TC1. Particularly in handling, customization, and overall polish.

Based on my experience with TC1 I had been thinking of holding off for a lower price, but after all I've read and seen I'll be getting this day one. I might even splurge on PS Plus to go with it.

Here's the thing: we're only two or so weeks away from getting our first glimpse at FH4, so The Crew 2 is going to be facing stiff competition right out the gate, considering it comes out in the wake of said announcement. But yes, to the bolded, for now, it certainly has FH3 beat in everything but graphical fidelity, car list, and livery editor.

Here's the thing: we're only two or so weeks away from getting our first glimpse at FH4, so The Crew 2 is going to be facing stiff competition right out the gate, considering it comes out in the wake of said announcement. But yes, to the bolded, for now, it certainly has FH3 beat in everything but graphical fidelity, car list, and livery editor.

E3 starts next week. So we're only a week away.

But I do see things that it's going to have a lot of play and replay in there it's just a matter of how well does the rest of the things go.

One downfall I have notice that they did take from TC1 is that you get parts that are sometimes below your level. Not happy about that.

I'm less concerned with TC2 facing competition from FH4, and more concerned with FH4 getting some competition in TC2! ;) Better for those of us on PS4, better for Horizon fans. As a former Forza fan, I know Turn 10 and Playground Games could use a kick in the butt.

I'm doing a livestream of the final hour or so of the beta. I have at least one vehicle in every class, max level street and powerboat class and have over 800000 credits to spend. So if anyone wants to see something type it in the chat.

Nice for those who wish to pick up this game again before release. 👍

As for me, I'm already sold on this game, even in its closed beta state. I'd rather wait until launch before hoping on again, though it would be interesting to read about what users think have changed between the builds. :cool:

Ok so I really enjoyed The Crew 1, watched it evolve into the game it was meant to be, put countless of hours into it and had enormous amounts of fun with it. That being said, I was not sold the idea of The Crew 2, in fact I will admit that I went into this beta trying to find an excuse not to buy it. At first I was like ok, it's the same map but with more detail added, which is both a good and bad at the same time, depending how you see it.

I think it was my first time free-roaming in the free plane that actually sold me on this game. The flying portion is very fun and intuitive, it didn't take long to pick up the controls and soon I was Knife flying between two Sky Scrapers in Manhattan, I felt like an Ace, barrel rolls, outside Loops, and all kinds of aerial acrobats, Ivory tower really nailed it. Then I tried boats in freeroam, cruising the waterways near Miami, trying skill challenges, finding jumps, jumping over bridges, it was also great fun. The whole map is a giant playground for all kinds of vehicles, I bought a Dirt bike and barreled it up and down mountains, catching crazy air while listening to my son oh's and ah's, then I gave him a turn, at everything, boat, plane, dirt bike, car, he loved all of it and was able to grasp the controls very quickly, other than the manual shifting in cars and bikes. He wants me to buy it pretty bad now, and it something we can play together.

I think my only complaint is the controller mapping, I really don't like where the upshift and downshift buttons are located (the right and Left bumper buttons, for me this feels awkward), I hope in the final game there is an option to configure the controls to my liking.

I would assume Open beta will be the same situation.
Content locked to "Rookie" and no progress.

Latest Posts

Back