The Daily Mail Suggests 'The Grand Tour' Is Ending, Clarkson Disagrees

Well I see Jeremy is as subtle as ever when it comes to the media.

I'm not a regular watcher of the Grand Tour or the trio but I do like their style and the format of the show as it actually
got me watching Amazon Prime on a regular basis so I cannot see season 3 being the end and the trio propably won't
want to let it end that easily.

Actually quite looking forward to seeing Season 3, as long as they keep the focus on the cars I will be a regular watcher.

I personally liked the "farmkhana" and "unscripted" episode. Mainly because they were making fun of their own audience and the people who have been giving them crap for "scripted" episodes even though that has always been the case for years. I guess they just hit right with my sense of humor. They kind of reminded me of how sometimes in Japan they have manga or anime that makes fun of itself, its genre and its readers while also being good.

Personally though my favourite has been the Jaaaaags episode. Long running joke between them and the funny adventure with the cars made me enjoy that episode the most.

I think it was only a 3 year contract from the start right? This is all just negotiations and smoke. I can’t imagine the show brings in nearly as many viewers though as Top Gear had. I think the streaming structure of Amazon Prime hurt their audience numbers. Amazon is the worst of the big streaming services, far behind Hulu and Netflix in terms of content.

Also you have to really consider their age and if this is even what they want to keep doing. Hell, 2 of them nearly died filming this past season! With Clarkson and May approaching 60 I wonder if they’re really inclined to be going thru the types of things they used to.

Honestly, the show is kind of stale. It’s still got its moments but does anyone actually believe these guys are going to be able to get back to their heyday at the peak of the Top Gear Years?

I haven’t watched any of the new Top Gear, but I’ve heard good things recently and I might give it a chance. I watch the Grand Tour because it’s what I know, but just because somethings different doesn’t mean it can’t be good.

The main reason I finally signed up for Amazon Prime was for the Grand Tour & I do ready enjoy it. It's a sad day if it's being cancelled, I don't order much off Amazon Prime so I might not continue my subscription.

It's very rare for shows (especially on Amazon/Netflix) to get a contract extension before the last series of the existing deal starts. I do think there's no way they'll keep doing 12 episodes (including a special) a year as May/Clarkson approach 60. I can see them going down to 6-8 regular episodes or just 1-2 specials a year should they wish to carry on.

I personally liked the "farmkhana" and "unscripted" episode.
I'd have really liked the Farmkhana episode... if the behind-the-scenes bit was about ten minutes shorter.

While Top gear (new format) had an excellent production, writing etc. it did however take a couple of seasons before they really got to the show we loved. The grand tour is still searching and at times feels a bit awkward, but the top gear magic is still there. My favourite was the group B show. Come to think it... Most of my favourite episodes were these historic lookbacks, tributes to carbrands and/or related to motorsports. What comes to mind are the tributes to Senna, Gilles Villeneuve, SAAB, Lancia etc. Hopefully they will incorporate this more in next season.

The main reason I finally signed up for Amazon Prime was for the Grand Tour & I do ready enjoy it. It's a sad day if it's being cancelled, I don't order much off Amazon Prime so I might not continue my subscription.

I'll admit that Grand Tour was probably the main reason that pushed me into my Prime subscription too, but I've found it well worth it since. Everyday items are generally cheaper on there than in stores here in Toronto (we just bought a jumbo-sized container of Tide for that reason). Plus, there's actually a lot of other really interesting shows on there too. Now that there's finally a PS4 app, I'm using it even more.

I'd have really liked the Farmkhana episode... if the behind-the-scenes bit was about ten minutes shorter.
Been watching the series this week. I couldn't believe that section kept going on and on and on.....

Thankfully the next few episodes (just finished Ep.8) where fantastic.

Isn’t Amazon the one picking up Ken Block’s new Gymkhana journey? And hasn’t he also said he reached out to the trio to do a feature together in addition to that series?

Would seem to me the lovable goofs will be fine. One source I read said Amazon not only declined to comment but said there didn’t seem to be any base to the Daily Mail’s claim either.

A lot of TGT stuff, and indeed TG before it, would have been better if they'd known when to stop delivering the punchline. A lot of stuff was funny (or at least mildly amusing) initially and then became progressively less so the longer it went on or the more the joke was repeated.

A lot of TGT stuff, and indeed TG before it, would have been better if they'd known when to stop delivering the punchline. A lot of stuff was funny (or at least mildly amusing) initially and then became progressively less so the longer it went on or the more the joke was repeated.

Or, in other words, "does that mean he's not coming on again?"

:banghead:

Top Gear should be about Cars and not about 3 over the hill lads acting like teenagers
The old Top Gear format from way back was so much better

I personally liked the "farmkhana" and "unscripted" episode. Mainly because they were making fun of their own audience and the people who have been giving them crap for "scripted" episodes even though that has always been the case for years.
Not always though, and for me I felt 2004 - 2006 ish were the best years of the show, where it was the perfect in between of pre 2002 Top Gear and what it became in it's later years.

I don't get why people keep saying Clarkson has "signed up to present WWTBAM" or similar when it's just a limited run of specials? That's like May doing one of his more niche things on BBC, or (the horror) a new series of Total Wipeout being commissioned with Hammond, then people immediately assuming The Grand Tour is over

Last weeks Top Gear was one of the best episodes of the show ever, enjoyed every minute of it, I'm glad it didn't have that "star in a reasonably priced car part", as that has got old now IMO.

As for The Grand Tour, I can't wait for the next season.

Actually I liked the Farmkhana and the unscripted episodes. They were funny and surprising.

Also I never had a problem with "The American". I found it funny how he was always raging about everything what doesn't have a V8.

One can only hope!

I agree and not because I don't like them. But because I feel the show as a continuation of post 2002 Top Gear has run it's course. It's been getting more and more stale by the year and TGT has only made it more obvious on their slip from their mid 2010 peak.

That coupled with the reality that they are getting older now with some near misses thrown in must weight on their minds.

Between myself and my girlfriend I think we more than get enough use out of the Prime membership. If we're not getting something for ourselves it's usually something for the kids.

The original contract was only for 3 years but I don't see them stopping just yet. But I also don't know how much longer it can go because like others have said, they're not getting any younger. Maybe next year and then 2 more after that, That would be 5 total for Amazon and probably a good time to stop.

Between myself and my girlfriend I think we more than get enough use out of the Prime membership. If we're not getting something for ourselves it's usually something for the kids.

The original contract was only for 3 years but I don't see them stopping just yet. But I also don't know how much longer it can go because like others have said, they're not getting any younger. Maybe next year and then 2 more after that, That would be 5 total for Amazon and probably a good time to stop.

Good point until Amazon accidentally (or purposely) kills Richard Hammond during filming.

j/k :D

Back