The damage system in GT5 (update : Mechanical Damage arrived only for online races)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,071 comments
gt5_damage.jpg

/Thread?

I don't get it.
Trailers show damage. Official site says there is damage. Kazunori confirms there is damage.
But in games we bought there is no damage !!!
Doesn't that mean they was lying us all the time ? I really hope that's not the truth, but I wonder how long will people continue to believe to false promises...
Anyway, if they really lied to us, I don't know what to say... They really would need to give something in return, and something big, if they want that I pass over it...

I don't get it.
Trailers show damage. Official site says there is damage. Kazunori confirms there is damage.
Doesn't that mean they was lying us all the time ? I really hope that's not the truth, but I wonder how long will people continue to believe to false promises...
Anyway, if they really lied to us, I don't know what to say... They really would need to give something in return, and something big, if they want that I pass over it...

I think damage must be in the game. The question is what unlocks it?:dopey: The sooner someone gets to the bottom of it the better. Im quite sure most of the big reviewers gamespot, IGN, gametrailers etc already know the answer

I don't get it.

Real damage opens after lvl 20 OR THEN its a bug like in ps3 nfs shift. So u have to jsut play or wait something from PD

Maybe the damage isn't fully functional until the game actually comes out. I'm betting there is a patch that will show up... Could be linked with PlaystationEU's tweet about a post that "will send your excitement into overdrive." Hmm..

I think damage must be in the game. The question is what unlocks it?:dopey: The sooner someone gets to the bottom of it the better. Im quite sure most of the big reviewers gamespot, IGN, gametrailers etc already know the answer

Oh i dont think so. Watch the reviews when they say there is no damagesystem because they havent played much of it. Especially IGN and gametrailers.

Real damage opens after lvl 20 OR THEN its a bug like in ps3 nfs shift. So u have to jsut play or wait something from PD
I hope so and think so too :D, there are 40 levels in A-spec so unlocking full damage (I hope both visual AND mechanical) at lvl 20 makes sense, it's perfectly in the middle of the game progression!

Oh i dont think so. Watch the reviews when they say there is no damagesystem because they havent played much of it. Especially IGN and gametrailers.

Well that would be an easy mistake to make by the sound of it. Quite sure they would have had enough time by now to get that far however. In fact you almost wonder if the real reason the online servers are still switched off is it to dealy GT5 reviews in order to give reviewers enough time to unlock the damage modes and avoid that very mistake? hmmmm:idea:

I think there was few people that posted already that they came to lv20 and there is still no damage..

Seriously, no one knows what RDK told about this ? He should be already way over level 20 now...

Damage can't be an unlockable feature in a racing/driving sim. Just ridiculous. Either its there at the beginning or its not at all. And I wouldn't mind that. Mechanical damage is a must but I could live without cosmetic damage. I try to avoid any and all contact with other cars and barriers. If you enjoy driving cars into other cars or walls, play Burnout.

Damage can't be an unlockable feature in a racing/driving sim. Just ridiculous. Either its there at the beginning or its not at all. And I wouldn't mind that. Mechanical damage is a must but I could live without cosmetic damage. I try to avoid any and all contact with other cars and barriers. If you enjoy driving cars into other cars or walls, play Burnout.

Gran Turismo is both a game with a progression structure and a sim.:)

Many games unlock features as you go along to avoid being too overwhealming at the start. Its good design to have smooth learning curve:)

No it's not^ best to have damage in at the beginning when the races are easier. Anyway why not allow people to turn it off. I remember Kaz saying most people will turn it off anyway.

No it's not^ best to have damage in at the beginning when the races are easier. Anyway why not allow people to turn it off. I remember Kaz saying most people will turn it off anyway.

The thing is from a gameplay standpoint there needs to be some kind of reward for things which require more skill.

With the driving aids its harder not to use them but potentially faster if driven with skill for example.

What advantage would it give the player to turn damage on? If you can turn it off most people would as they as laziness is part of human nature.

In previous public demos I remember that cars would either get scratched or "burnt".
This appears to have been removed from the final build.

AI drivers increase in skill with game progression, as dose the amount of driving aids which are turned off as you progress through the driving tests. Is it not therefore reasonable to see the game has a "learning curve" easy at the start and slowly increasing to hard as you progress through the game? The same must surely be the same for damage.
Logic would dictate that both mechanical and visual damage are linked, you wouldn't run 2 damage models simultaniously when 1 will sufice, and you would imagine this has levels of severity linked directly to the learning curve....If the damage model was set to max from the start you would have lots of people complaining the game is too hard, you must remember this game is not for hard core GT fans alone, it needs to be apealing to everyone, bumping into the barrier on the first bend of the first race resulting in your car not being able to keep up with the pack and then requireing you to spend money to repair the car that you can't win because of that damage would result in huge frustration for many!

Simply saying, it should have this, it should do that is completly rediclious without playing the game extensively. The guys who made the decisions of what dose what and when have come to those decisions over the period it's taken them to make 5 gran turismo games. they know they can't please everyone but they usualy please most of us with there decisions.

Go watch GTP chris's video's the guys a profesional endurance racing driver, who this season drove a porsche GT3. Now this is a person who knows a thing or two about car physics on a track (not dring to the shops) his opinion on the game can be seen as a "profesional" one, to put it mildly he's a happy bunny with GT5, a very happy bunny. forget about spceculating on what happens when you stuff it in a barrier and then argueing about it. Speculate sure, gather the info in this thread, it's very interesting but keep things in context and enough of the over enthusiastic points of view which are stated as fact.

Peace and love guys the wait is hell but will be over soon.

I'm guessing the damage gets more and more detailed as you progress through the XP levels.

The things upside down and 15 foot in the air.....looks prety severe to me LOL again, driver level link to damage level. Would be good to have future pics come with a "driver XP level" or some of the older ones, we could see if theres a link to the severity of damage to driver XP. Also if there's a difference between Arcade and GT life A spec. I would imagine there is.

Some damage,Clio-V6,still no scratches!
web.jpg

Yes PD needs to put some scratches, but not going over the top like in this game. (how in hell the roof and hood got scratched up?)
Ferrari-California-Epic-Crash-525x295.jpg

But at the same time, depends how we hit a car.
Sometimes you dont get a scratch at all, becasuse the car may not skid across the other car or a wall.

100_0640.JPG

Back