The damage system in GT5 (update : Mechanical Damage arrived only for online races)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,071 comments
i dont get how the damage is, every pic is a different damage, every video is a different damage. They guy with the game doesn't even know if it evolved with Xp. The demos where nowhere nears the full game ( i mean they where better)..

wrecked_Ferrari_599_GTB_Fiorano_2.jpg

Real car with sever damage, but minor scratches.

Demo's could have had the damage set to max for that "wow" factor, as for different pics from different people having different levels of damage, I think that points to a sliding XP/Damage system, but given time, people will get to the higher levels of XP and it should become clearer how it works.

I can understand mechanical damage increasing as you progress, but not visual damage. You shouldn't have to get to level 20 just to see your car's door come off.

AI drivers increase in skill with game progression, as dose the amount of driving aids which are turned off as you progress through the driving tests. Is it not therefore reasonable to see the game has a "learning curve" easy at the start and slowly increasing to hard as you progress through the game? The same must surely be the same for damage.
Logic would dictate that both mechanical and visual damage are linked, you wouldn't run 2 damage models simultaniously when 1 will sufice, and you would imagine this has levels of severity linked directly to the learning curve....If the damage model was set to max from the start you would have lots of people complaining the game is too hard, you must remember this game is not for hard core GT fans alone, it needs to be apealing to everyone, bumping into the barrier on the first bend of the first race resulting in your car not being able to keep up with the pack and then requireing you to spend money to repair the car that you can't win because of that damage would result in huge frustration for many!

Simply saying, it should have this, it should do that is completly rediclious without playing the game extensively. The guys who made the decisions of what dose what and when have come to those decisions over the period it's taken them to make 5 gran turismo games. they know they can't please everyone but they usualy please most of us with there decisions.

Go watch GTP chris's video's the guys a profesional endurance racing driver, who this season drove a porsche GT3. Now this is a person who knows a thing or two about car physics on a track (not dring to the shops) his opinion on the game can be seen as a "profesional" one, to put it mildly he's a happy bunny with GT5, a very happy bunny. forget about spceculating on what happens when you stuff it in a barrier and then argueing about it. Speculate sure, gather the info in this thread, it's very interesting but keep things in context and enough of the over enthusiastic points of view which are stated as fact.

Peace and love guys the wait is hell but will be over soon.

That is a good point you brought up about the credits.

If some people had their wish, it'd be possible to spend your starting credits, crash and be unable to repair your car.
You gain credits by winning races and selling cars.
If the game auto-saved after the race it'd be a virtual 'game over' at that point.

I can understand mechanical damage increasing as you progress, but not visual damage. You shouldn't have to get to level 20 just to see your car's door come off.

So is it true? That once a person levels up in GT5 damage will become more realistic for internal parts? What level I need? 20?

Right, I know what your saying and yes visual damage on full from the start would be great, whilst mechanical damage slowly getting worse as you progress ties in with the standard learning curve all games have......But to do that you would need to have 2 damge engines running at all times during races, one for visual, and one for mechanical.....but of course these need to be tied closely together and later in the game would be doing the identical thing.......OK thats alot of processing power being used, If however you have one damage engine doing both then you just saved half the processing requirements taken up by the damage engine......this however means when the mechanical part of that damage engine is restricted as the learning curve begins so too will the visual aspects of damage as both are run by the same system.

Not saying that again.👍

So what If I complete GT5 lets say in one year and damage lets say after level 20-40 is set to full.

Then I would love to re-play from the start and make a new File for GT5, why the hell I would wanna race with damage at minimum for next 20 levels? What is wrong PD? How about make an OPTION in the Main Menu for full damage from start with GT mode.

So what If I complete GT5 lets say in one year and damage lets say after level 20-40 is set to full.

Then I would love to re-play from the start and make a new File for GT5, why the hell I would wanna race with damage at minimum for next 20 levels? What is wrong PD? How about make an OPTION in the Main Menu for full damage from start with GT mode.

I've heared that once I Finnish the game with my dualshock PD will let me use my wheel.

Another question.
THis for example

web.jpg

If I do the same to my car in GT mode will the damage stay there forever even in next events until I repair it? Or it will be back to normal every race?

Again it's that bug bear that the game is made for everyone, novice and hardcore alike, and it's no bad thing really, new players to the series means the comunity grows. As for an option to set it to max.....they could have done so, they could also have put an option in for AI skill level and a dozen other things beside. But going through all those menus would be confusing for most and getting to higher levels takes little time to do for the ardent GT fan. Plus think of it like this, the replay value of going back to earlier races you've already completed with cars you no longer use in the higher levels would then have a new lease of life and require more skill to complete as you would need to take into account the full mechanical damage issue. A good thing in my book.

Again this is speculation on my behalf, but logical from what we've seen and heard.

The thing is from a gameplay standpoint there needs to be some kind of reward for things which require more skill.

With the driving aids its harder not to use them but potentially faster if driven with skill for example.

What advantage would it give the player to turn damage on? If you can turn it off most people would as they as laziness is part of human nature.

Sure, I understand the need for rewards but I don't think damage can be turned off in real life, so a simulator, should have it and not need it unlocked.

Rewards in a car game, are obviously the cars. Damage is a influencing factor in learning to drive clean, and as a result faster. If the game has no damage for the first 20 levels what is to stop people wall-riding, then once they get to level 20 they can't win an egg and spoon race?

Turning damage off then using that to your advantage is extremely cheap and annoying. The driver would feel no sense of accomplishment as a five year old with a d-pad and an X button could win with no damage.

If damage needs to be unlocked, I will feel cheated, having to play half the game to access a feature other games have from the get go.

Again it's that bug bear that the game is made for everyone, novice and hardcore alike, and it's no bad thing really, new players to the series means the comunity grows. As for an option to set it to max.....they could have done so, they could also have put an option in for AI skill level and a dozen other things beside. But going through all those menus would be confusing for most and getting to higher levels takes little time to do for the ardent GT fan. Plus think of it like this, the replay value of going back to earlier races you've already completed with cars you no longer use in the higher levels would then have a new lease of life and require more skill to complete as you would need to take into account the full mechanical damage issue. A good thing in my book.

Again this is speculation on my behalf, but logical from what we've seen and heard.

Yeah I agree with you.

It would be tough to race a Miata with Hard AI and Full Damage. The money will be gone soon just to keep it fixed! Yeah new players would be turned off by full mechanical damage, and to fix it with lots of money. You just changed my mind.

But now I hope LVL 20 does unlock full damage. By then I should have enough money to maintain my car after long hours of race and damage.

So the hardcore suffer. Tell me why a simple on/off damage wasn't the right thing to do.

Personally I think that's it. What you see is what you get. Which is not very good.

Another question.
THis for example

web.jpg

If I do the same to my car in GT mode will the damage stay there forever even in next events until I repair it? Or it will be back to normal every race?

In the videos by Tekken90 I think, he shows in detail the service area....where you paint ther cars add mods ect, in there you will see 2 seperate areas, one is for an engine rebuild, and another one more importantly which simply removes scratches and dented / damaged panels...this service of course costs money! I'll dig the vid out and post it in a sec.

No scratch that, it's repairing body regidity! I remember Chris stating that damage is repaired automaticaly....think there is a cost deducted from your race winnings though.

Last edited:
I recorded a small crash video with a standard car and a premium (but both in level 10 driving, so maybe not as much damage as in upper levels)

consequence :

and the M5 video (only scratches visible and small body deformation)

In the videos by Tekken90 I think, he shows in detail the service area....where you paint ther cars add mods ect, in there you will see 2 seperate areas, one is for an engine rebuild, and another one more importantly which simply removes scratches and dented / damaged panels...this service of course costs money! I'll dig the vid out and post it in a sec.

Yeah, please do. You just made my day!!!

I am happy the damage is not fixable like in FM3 when its just pointless to have it when you cant have it scratched up for 3 races.

By the way should PD include DAMAGE info in the Manual or in the big book that comes with special editions? They should mention that from 0-10 lvls damage is very minimal, 10-20 is mid, 20+ is high, etc. (just examples)

come on guys cool down , don't worry about little things
the game is awesome , best racing game ever
and the little things like scratches will come in gt6 ...

a guy said, why pd just not add scratches like in nfs forza ..... the scratches in this games are not real , but in gt everything has to be real because we are freaks XD , they can update it or it will come in gt6

but really , don't make a disaster because of scratches , that's 0,1% in the whole game , the game is so big there is so much to discover ....

ps: pd should tell the "damage level system" , because some forza fanboys will say , haha you have no damage ....
best example is WRC blue subaru crash or the text on gran-turismo.com

No scratch that, it's repairing body regidity! I remember Chris stating that damage is repaired automaticaly....think there is a cost deducted from your race winnings though.

ahh too bad. Would love to see a beat up Miata from race to race.. But then again in real life regulations, they wont let you do that. So I see where PD is coming from.

I am happy the damage is not fixable like in FM3 when its just pointless to have it when you cant have it scratched up for 3 races.

By the way should PD include DAMAGE info in the Manual or in the big book that comes with special editions? They should mention that from 0-10 lvls damage is very minimal, 10-20 is mid, 20+ is high, etc. (just examples)

The games manual is like 5 pages long, and only describes the install process and controls. The proper manual is a digital version in the game menu.

I agree that have persistant damage on the car between races would add a whole new dimension, and give your favourite cars more character and encourage players to keep their nice cars out of accidents.

Right I amended that post, here's how it works, visual damage is repaired......but I think scratches and the like remain (I'll double check that) BUT the acumilation of visual damage requires you to spend money to repair body regidity, when you do this depends on when you can aford it and it is acumulative.....I presume, also mechanical damage is also acumulative and requires and engine rebuild.......again as and when is upto you. Watch the video (it's near the end) and see what you can make from the text that apears. I'm not to sure on this, it could also simply be tied to the millage done? seems a little to simple for it to be included if that was the case.

Also cheers for the images and video, the LEVEL 10 notification is excellent, I can also confirm the BMW vid is from chris and is in ARCADE MODE before he started his A spec GT life so LEVEL 0

Last edited:
Knowing what i know now about the *damage system* in gt5 i now understand why PD didn't include a free rotating camera in third person view ....:lol::nervous:

Isn't the engine rebuild more for cars with high mileage than for damage? In the same way GT4 had a "Restore rigidity" option for high mileage cars.

Yeah, PD now wants not only to change oil after lots of miles, they want you to rebuild or tune up the engines after long use.

I like that idea! In racing the life expectancy of the car body and engine really decrees over everyday driving. Even if you do not make any hits to it.

Isn't the engine rebuild more for cars with high mileage than for damage? In the same way GT4 had a "Restore rigidity" option for high mileage cars.

Yeah I think your right, where as the car wash is purely visual...cars get and stay dirty over time, the oil, engine rebuild and body regidity need to be Replaced / Repaired as milage on the track acumulates, what is interesting is twofold, first up on the video I posted the engine rebuild option came back with "this engine dose not need a rebuild at this time" message where as the body regidity didn't come up with the same message. In comparison with the dirt on your car it slowwly builds up. Why then dose the engine rebuild and the body regidity not build at the same level if both are reliant on millage driven? could be as simple as they work on different time scales or they could be linked to actual damage incured on track? bit of a stretch to belive that though but wouldn't be hard to impliment if PD have actualy done this.
The Main point about thes though is what effects on the car do these things have if you don't repair / rebuild the enginge and body regidity? they don't have a visual aspect to them on track like the dirt and the carwash so they must have a physical mechanical implication........or why have them in the first place?

Yeah, PD now wants not only to change oil after lots of miles, they want you to rebuild or tune up the engines after long use.

I like that idea! In racing the life expectancy of the car body and engine really decrees over everyday driving. Even if you do not make any hits to it.

I wonder how close to life the numbers will be, imagine paying for a full engine rebuild on an F1 car every 600miles!

(Based on average F1 race being 200miles, 8 engines per season.)

For what i have seen the damage on "Gran Thefth Auto 4" is way more advance and more realistic than GT5's nonsense and tha't was 6 years ago !!! other than that PD did an ok job...:yuck:👍

Back