The disadvantages and advantages of drifting

• Thread starter gt addict
  • 83 comments
SQUIRRELSHOOTR
I have started drifting and thought it would be cool to have a thread about the disadvantages and advantages of drifting(hope thats OK with you mods). Just post in your oponion what you think are advantages and disadvantages of drifting:sly::crazy::dopey::nervous: And also add the name of the car you think is the best drifting car and(if you want to upload videos of you drifting that car)

Advantage- In normal driving or racing you'll probably have a higher success at coming out of hairy situations without wrecking or losing much speed.

Disadvantage- Most always slower if you're racing someone who isn't drifting.

Advantage, shows that you like to put a challenge into every corner, makes driving that much more fun.

disadvantage - Smoked & Slick Tires

Advantage- Block the opponent

Disadvantage- Open spot in the rear, so you can eat the curb.

Advantage- In normal driving or racing you'll probably have a higher success at coming out of hairy situations without wrecking or losing much speed.

Disadvantage- Most always slower if you're racing someone who isn't drifting.

I disagree my friend is a great drifter and he can win a family cup with level 10 dificulty in a RX7 FC with 319 hp

So he's faster than the AI hen drifting. Not a huge accomplishment (although he must be good). But is he faster than his own times when grip racing?

Advantages: Good for tight corners.

Disadvantages: Usually slower anywhere else.

Gt addict, I thought we talked about this thread. This is more of the same. I'll be keeping a close eye on it. When it turns into the same old grip vs drift debate, we're done.

Grip has its benifits. As does drifting. Some corners on certain tracks you can't get through without a little bit of sliding. Some corners are just too long to drift. Neither is perfect. There are plenty of benifits to both.
If this topic turns into a debate I'd be fine with that. I love debating.

In the words of Keiichi Tsuchiya, The original DriftKing, "I drift not because it is a quicker way around a corner, but the most exciting way".

That sums it up for me. It is also, arguably, the most skillful way around a corner too :)

thats power sliding not drifting.

grip is always faster

Uh, newsflash, drifting is controlled sliding.
Also, what was the point of that video, that was ridiculously boring, no sense of speed or anything, sure the EVO was passing cars, but my god, it was slowing down not changing gears, and just looked horrible. I don't understand why people like them. Hideous cars. But thats off topic, as was your post.

P.S. Use proper grammar, you wont win an argument unless you do.

Edit: I like your quote bradders3535, I agree with that. The video was boring for that reason, there was no sense of speed or excitement it was just plain boring. If I wanted to watch cars moving at speed and not sliding around, I'd go look at a freeway, or NASCAR. Neither one is exciting to me. 500 laps of the same thing over and over again, oh wait I think they just crashed, finally some excitement. ANYWAYS.. Lets stay on topic this is the drift forums, and I'd like to continue this discussion with more advantages and disadvantages.

Uh, newsflash, drifting is controlled sliding.
Also, what was the point of that video, that was ridiculously boring, no sense of speed or anything, sure the EVO was passing cars, but my god, it was slowing down not changing gears, and just looked horrible. I don't understand why people like them. Hideous cars. But thats off topic, as was your post.

P.S. Use proper grammar, you wont win an argument unless you do.

Drifting is not a controlled slide,people argue that Front wheel drive cars cant drift but you can hold one in a controlled slide cant you?

Ill give you some background then :) Im involved with a race team who are entered in the UK Time Attack Championships who go around race tracks within the uk along with the EDC (European Drift Championship if your wondering). If you ask what is harder drifting or grip racing you can be sure most people will say grip racing.Its so much harder to try and get every single tenth/hundred/thousand of a second to get a much lower time than the other guy rather than just chucking a car sideways and holding it in the slide or "drift".

The video was to show of 2 equal cars (Evos although the yellow 8 has a 2.3 stroker with a gt35 around 540bhp,the white camera car is stock bar the ecu,stripped and caged with around 380bhp and no ayc) One is "drifting" the other is gripping yet the white one is still faster and even at some points on the track where a "controlled slide" might be better (nameily the chicane) the white car is still faster?

Might not be totally flat out but we were only getting some practice in and working on suspension set ups,See sig for the proper race car :) .

If you wanna give me £60 for a roll cage mount for it to be more "action packed" be my guest :lol: .

I have videos which show a much better sense of speed. ;)

Well, then, you have won this argument, I prefer drift over grip, but I have cars in GT4 purpose built for grip and some purpose built for drift. Both are good and both offer something to the table, like you said, getting through chicanes with drifting is a good idea, I just tend to drive straight through the dirt cause it saves me time in GT4. I'd love to see some more exciting videos. PM me with a few.

Bergauk: He hasn't won the argument because Drift and Grip are both techniques of racing. Any Driver like Holdenhsvgtsr should know that its both techniques and you can't really argue which one is better. Both techniques uses the same line but in Drift you have more of a blockage because your using the car's length but it is less stable to control then in its alternated brother. Well, don't forget the tires now. If I put an Initial D example, I may be laughed at so I am not going to.

Holdenhsvgtsr : I love that BOV sound..

Both techniques uses the same line but in Drift you have more of a blockage because your using the car's length but it is less stable to control then in its alternated brother.
Until you get to the corner exit when the grip car which has carried more speed into the corner just drives past?

Your first video fails though as the whole point of a "touge battle" is to keep up with the car rather than overtake it.

And on the second one theres drifting where?

Holdenhsvgtsr : I love that BOV sound..

Really? i dont like it all that much its my least fav on the 3 evos :lol: prefer the one on the yellow 5

Until you get to the corner exit when the grip car which has carried more speed into the corner just drives past?

Your first video fails though as the whole point of a "touge battle" is to keep up with the car rather than overtake it.

And on the second one theres drifting where?

Could possible be.

The Touge battle was just something small but cool

But since he didn't like your first one, I thought I put one with more people.
I agree that Grip is better nor am I taking sides.

He isn't the driver. At least not of those cars.

Ill give you some background then :) Im involved with a race team who are entered in the UK Time Attack Championships who go around race tracks within the uk along with the EDC (European Drift Championship if your wondering).

Might not be totally flat out but we were only getting some practice in and working on suspension set ups,See sig for the proper race car :) .
I don't mean anything but I thought he would be a driver because of that statement.

Back