The disadvantages and advantages of drifting

• Thread starter gt addict
  • 83 comments
How about looking at it this way.

I can drift. Not very good, a bit jerky and wobbly, but I can. If I devoted a few weeks, I'm sure I'd be pretty good at it.

F1 takes an insane amount of training. Thats should be more than enough to show which one takes more skill. People race for THEIR ENTIRE LIFE and never become F1 level.

Fixed.

I can drift. Not very good, a bit jerky and wobbly, but I can. If I devoted a few weeks, I'm sure I'd be pretty good at it.

F1 takes an insane amount of training. Thats should be more than enough to show which one takes more skill. People race for years and never become F1 level.

A few weeks isn't going to get you good enough to compete in D1. Both take a lot of training and skill. Please don't put F1 on a pedestal like that. People do the same thing when they compare NASCAR to F1, when both sports take tremendous time and effort.

I've had GT4 since it came out and I was always grip racing. Then I lost my data due to my siblings and thats when I got into drifting. Sure I have alot of grip cars compared to my small drift car collection but drifting just adds excitement to the experience in GT4. Each are good in there own ways, Grip for speed and times and drifting for the excitement

A few weeks isn't going to get you good enough to compete in D1. Both take a lot of training and skill. Please don't put F1 on a pedestal like that. People do the same thing when they compare NASCAR to F1, when both sports take tremendous time and effort.
That "pedestal" is very real. I also admit that being a NASCAR driver takes a lot of skill, no doubt about that. But it definitely takes more time for a D1 winner to become a F1 winner than the other way round. Come to think of it, some D1 drivers are former F3000 drivers from Japan but I've yet to hear from a D1 driver that became a F1 star.

But the point. How many F1 drivers are there? 20 on the grid and about a similar amount as test drivers. Sums up as around 40 drivers in the world and the grid drivers are there because they're the top 20 in the world. How many competition drifters are there? A couple of hundreds, probably thousands. Now, are the D1GP drivers really the best or do they just have the money to do it? I'm betting the latter option. Actually, I'm betting pretty much every town has at least one driver that can become a good drifter given the resources it takes. And I'm betting every town, even country, certainly doesn't have a driver that can become a good F1 driver no matter what they're given. Think of the successful American, French and Italian F1 drivers of the last decade. Not forgetting the Japanese, because if gripping takes as much skill as drifting, where are they?

That "pedestal" is very real. I also admit that being a NASCAR driver takes a lot of skill, no doubt about that. But it definitely takes more time for a D1 winner to become a F1 winner than the other way round. Come to think of it, some D1 drivers are former F3000 drivers from Japan but I've yet to hear from a D1 driver that became a F1 star.

But the point. How many F1 drivers are there? 20 on the grid and about a similar amount as test drivers. Sums up as around 40 drivers in the world and the grid drivers are there because they're the top 20 in the world. How many competition drifters are there? A couple of hundreds, probably thousands. Now, are the D1GP drivers really the best or do they just have the money to do it? I'm betting the latter option. Actually, I'm betting pretty much every town has at least one driver that can become a good drifter given the resources it takes. And I'm betting every town, even country, certainly doesn't have a driver that can become a good F1 driver no matter what they're given. Think of the successful American, French and Italian F1 drivers of the last decade. Not forgetting the Japanese, because if gripping takes as much skill as drifting, where are they?

That's what I'm talking about right there. All F1 is, is open wheel racing. Now start counting how many people do that. A couple hundred, a couple thousand? You're lumping all drifters, of all leagues and whatnot, including wannabe's into one group, while F1 is allowed to be separate. Doesn't seem very fair.

And to be honest you can't say for sure that a F1 driver could become as good as a D1 driver, or vice versa. All this is going to end up as is F1 fanboys arguing that F1 is the Holy Grail of motorsports.

That's what I'm talking about right there. All F1 is, is open wheel racing. Now start counting how many people do that. A couple hundred, a couple thousand? You're lumping all drifters, of all leagues and whatnot, including wannabe's into one group, while F1 is allowed to be separate. Doesn't seem very fair.

And to be honest you say for sure that a F1 driver could become as good as a D1 driver, or vice versa. All this is going to end up as is F1 fanboys arguing that F1 is the Holy Grail of motorsports.

Doesn't seem very fair at all. How many countries/racing teams in the world have the amount of money to build an F1 car and maintain it?

I THINK WE SHOULD STAY ON TOPIC.

This thread is about drifting and the advantages and disadvantages of it, not F1. Go to the F1 subforums if you want to talk about it. This is not the place.

Drifting was and is primarily for achieving higher speeds on tight corners which FFs cannot take nearly as far even if they slept on it. That said, I believe that
+ faster, sometimes flashy cornering
- hard to execute and tricky, very easy to lose control and lose a race

How true these actually are I'd have to say after I master my MR2, but so far slip-n-slide gets the job done much better than strict gripping of every sharp, medium sharp corner.

Drifting was and is primarily for achieving higher speeds on tight corners which FFs cannot take nearly as far even if they slept on it. That said, I believe that
+faster
, sometimes flashy cornering
- hard to execute and tricky, very easy to lose control and lose a race

How true these actually are I'd have to say after I master my MR2, but so far slip-n-slide gets the job done much better than strict gripping of every sharp, medium sharp corner.
You apparently did not read the past few pages. Drifting is slower than grip, as proven many times, including myself. Drifting was made for style, and separating the skilled from the skill-less.

I have about 110 grip cars and mabey 10 drifting cars and drifting is slower than grip racing, but it looks a lot cooler! I'm not the best at drifting, but it is a challenge so if your not up for a challenge go grip racing it's faster.
You apparently did not read the past few pages. Drifting is slower than grip, as proven many times, including myself. Drifting was made for style, and separating the skilled from the skill-less.
Grip racing does take some skill compared to the need for speed drifting/racing. All you would have to do to dift is turn the car and it magicly drifts/slides.

yeah, real drifting is alot harder than real normal racing.

thats why theres so many young guys crashing their cars these days, they do it on a game, and they suddenly think theyre keichi tsuchiya or something.....*sighs*

Anyways...

advantage + looks great, fun to do.

disadvantages + lots of time and effort, lots of money too.

cheaper than building a drift-sepc car though, think about it, you have to spend the moeny to get fully customisable suspension straight away, with a track car you dont HAVE to.

cheaper than building a drift-sepc car though, think about it, you have to spend the moeny to get fully customisable suspension straight away, with a track car you dont HAVE to.

Are you serious :lol: ill put it this way,we take 3 evos to knockhill almost every week.The evo 7 alone has seen the track around 6/7 times(compared to around 10+times for the other 2 cars_ and for the cost of that (and its still far from done) you could buy a lamborghini gallardo.Another one of the evo 5's had £35k alone in recepts for handling parts from the pervious owner.

Also with grip you use more fuel,tyres and brakes than what you would do drifting plus grip tyres are far more expensive.

Wait. You have to have a fully customizable suspension to go drifting?

Gee, I wonder what I did in that STOCK Miata....It can't be drifting without a crazy suspension.

As for which costs more, for the same type of vehicle, it's usually around the same. I know NOB's Altezza cost over 300,000 dollars to build, this came from him personally. (in a bulliten he posted on myspace, actually.)

Wait. You have to have a fully customizable suspension to go drifting?

Gee, I wonder what I did in that STOCK Miata....It can't be drifting without a crazy suspension.

As for which costs more, for the same type of vehicle, it's usually around the same. I know NOB's Altezza cost over 300,000 dollars to build, this came from him personally. (in a bulliten he posted on myspace, actually.)

I think he was talking about real cars, not game ones.

I wish this thread would become closed. It doesn't serve a purpose anymore.. Just a battleground between drift and grip.
Not really a "battleground."

Grip is faster, period. It's just that a few people are having a hard time accepting the fact, or not bothering to do the research first.

This thread might as well be closed, I agree, but sooner or later someone else is going to make another thread like this.

Well, what if we just have everyone contributing to the thread drop it, and let it disappear. There is no need for it anymore. Most of us have acknowledged that. Lets just stop fueling the fire. It did turn into something it wasn't supposed to be though. Eventually it went off-topic.

jeez! This has turned into an assault on my point of view....

Okay, i mean in the game, and what i meant by lots of money was that i personally, bought quite a few cars before i became aquainted with a car that suited my drifting style, and i spent alot of moeny doing it. As its our own persoanl advantages and disadvantages, i thought i had the right to say that.

Secondly, i didnt say that drift is faster than grip. which (by the way) is a term i hate using, it seems the word 'grip' has suddenly become the only descriptive for track racing since NFS: PRO STREET.

Thirdly, i dont care. It was my personal view. And this thread should be closed anyway.

And lastly (finally!) im not a huge drift nut, and i dont dislike track racing in any way, i love both. I never used to drift until quite recently. So there you go.

;)

the point of drifting was to go around corners really fast and to keep your revs up after u exit the corner, it originated in rally racing because of the high difficulty of going around corners on dirt or gravel.

I would have to say the disadvantage is the wear on the tires is very strong, and you are left with very little grip, its controlling the uncontrolled.

F1 takes an insane amount of training. Thats should be more than enough to show which one takes more skill. People race for years and never become F1 level.
Don't the people that are like the trainers of the formula racers make them race their car on a video game like Gran Turismo 4??? I think drifting is a little bit harder compared to grip untill you get the hang of it. My opinion. Heres a video of a driver training. I'm pretty sure it is. And I'm not the best drifter either.=(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MokznaYw0JQ

People please reply I haven't been on in awhile!=0

Back