The disadvantages and advantages of drifting

• Thread starter gt addict
  • 83 comments
I'm bemused as to why the debate about "which is faster" keeps popping up. Surely it's clear to anyone who has an interest in motorsport and has an understanding of how the car/road interface functions?

Perfect Balance gave pretty much the perfect reply quite a few posts ago.

Dr1fting looks cool (to some people) but is slower and kills your tyres. That's why it's not de rigeur to Dr1ft in races and why there are seperate Dr1ft competitons.

Drifting, as in sliding just on the edge of letting go, is an entirely different technique from having the back end let go and trying to keep it there. That may be fun for some but it's not racing.

I'm bemused as to why the debate about "which is faster" keeps popping up. Surely it's clear to anyone who has an interest in motorsport and has an understanding of how the car/road interface functions?

Perfect Balance gave pretty much the perfect reply quite a few posts ago.

Dr1fting looks cool (to some people) but is slower and kills your tyres. That's why it's not de rigeur to Dr1ft in races and why there are seperate Dr1ft competitons.

Drifting, as in sliding just on the edge of letting go, is an entirely different technique from having the back end let go and trying to keep it there. That may be fun for some but it's not racing.

Drifting is a form of Japanese racing that has just hit the U.S. in the last five years.:sly:

It's not racing, they go by points that you win for angle, speed, stuff like that.

That is true but sometimes they race for first place and whoever is ahead of the other guy(not points)but position wins. Just noticed but racing envolves speed and what you said is that they earn points for speed and angle and stuff like that. Last edited by gt addict : Today at 3:29 PM.

I have started drifting and thought it would be cool to have a thread about the disadvantages and advantages of drifting(hope thats OK with you mods). Just post in your oponion what you think are advantages and disadvantages of drifting:sly::crazy::dopey::nervous: And also add the name of the car you think is the best drifting car and(if you want to upload videos of you drifting that car)

To really answer your question: Drifting is faster than grip if done correctly (no crazy corner entry angles), if you drift with N tyres you will be doing slower laps, if you drift with S tyres (soft front, hard back) you'll go faster.

The first car i tried to drift with was the s2000 amuse r1, but it's too gripy, then i moved on to the street version(317 hp, the rest is fullt-tuned, suspension is stock), slapped some S3 in the front and in the back (you can put medium tyres at the back, but since you just started drifting do that when you have more experience) and voilá simply to the feint move and slam the gas pedal.

That is true but sometimes they race for first place and whoever is ahead of the other guy(not points)but position wins. Just noticed but racing envolves speed and what you said is that they earn points for speed and angle and stuff like that. Last edited by gt addict : Today at 3:29 PM.
And a person walking involves speed, doesn't mean it's a race. To be in front (although you get a lot of points for passing) isn't the objective of a Drift competition.

To really answer your question: Drifting is faster than grip if done correctly (no crazy corner entry angles), if you drift with N tyres you will be doing slower laps, if you drift with S tyres (soft front, hard back) you'll go faster.
How long did it take you to figure out that using better tires means more grip? Of course you're going to drift faster with S tires than N tires. Even faster if you get the car to drift with R tires. Drifting is not faster than grip on pavement, end of story. The only exception is really tight corners where drifting helps the car rotate and get a better line and exit.

Xavier
The first car i tried to drift with was the s2000 amuse r1, but it's too gripy, then i moved on to the street version(317 hp, the rest is fullt-tuned, suspension is stock), slapped some S3 in the front and in the back (you can put medium tyres at the back, but since you just started drifting do that when you have more experience) and voilá simply to the feint move and slam the gas pedal.
That's basically what happens when you get worse tires.

I don't understand what you're saying. How is letting the rear end out and holding it there not drifting?

I believe that we did a test against Grip and Drift. Both using same tires and I believe that I lost.nk4e vs Captain Trips

Depends on the time, alot has happened. I know that I said before that I retired and I am coming back to GT4 drifting but it isn't in me now. I probably need people to play with. I lost so many times in those challenges, I guess it has degraded my reputation.

Yes you may have lost, but that was three years ago, you must have improved by now. Right?
Drifting is slower, is that too hard to understand?

When cornering at the highest possible speed, each tire has to be giving 100%. In grip, this is (theoretically) possible, and you come a lot closer to it than while drifting.

When drifting, the rear tires have gone way past 100%, and the front aren't even close to 100%.

NONE of the tires are giving their full potential = less grip available = since the tires are the only thing touching the ground, less speed.

Wow, there are still people alive who believe drifting is as fast as racing on the limit, I'm in shock.

Like Perfect Balance said, drifitng is not faster than grip, if you took a car and got a guy to drift it round a track and then to race it properly round the same track the grip lap would slaughter the drifted lap. And rightly so. It's physics.

So what you're saying right there is, if my chassis is scraping the ground I'll have more speed? I'm sorry, that makes no sense.

No, he's saying that when drifting, you're making the only four things that provide grip in any given direction lose traction. The fronts usually aren't stressed, and the rears are overstressed.

No, he's saying that when drifting, you're making the only four things that provide grip in any given direction lose traction. The fronts usually aren't stressed, and the rears are overstressed.

Well then, he needs to clarify that. Because it makes no sense..

Hows my drag Bug coming along? =p

So what you're saying right there is, if my chassis is scraping the ground I'll have more speed? I'm sorry, that makes no sense.
You're right, it doesn't make any sense, which is why I'm not really sure where you got the idea that I said more parts of the car touching the ground = more speed.

I just pointed out a fact, and you pulled that crap out from somewhere. Nice going, you've won a free ride on the the fail boat.

EDIT: I made it very clear, I'm not supposed to list what NOT to do.

You're right, it doesn't make any sense, which is why I'm not really sure where you got the idea that I said more parts of the car touching the ground = more speed.

I just pointed out a fact, and you pulled that crap out from somewhere. Nice going, you've won a free ride on the the fail boat.

Oh cool, where does the fail boat take port? How much clothes will I need for the trip also?

EDIT: I made it very clear, I'm not supposed to list what NOT to do.
Owned...

Agreeing with Perfect Balance:
I'm not seeing why some of you people aren't understanding why grip is faster than drift. As Perfect Balance stated, your not getting the full effect of the tires which means less grip. Here is an equation which might make it easier to understand.

more Grip = more Speed
less grip = less speed
drift = less grip = less speed

But...
drift = style - speed
👍

Owned...

I'm not seeing why some of you people aren't understanding why grip is faster than drift. As Perfect Balance stated, your not getting the full effect of the tires which means less grip. Here is an equation which might make it easier to understand.

more Grip = more Speed
less grip = less speed
drift = less grip = less speed

But...
drift = style - speed
👍

Speed Drifting still won't win against Grip.

I think that grip is faster but that doesn't mean driting is worse is the more fun way and you need more skill to drift. Even drifting you might lose to grip but if done the right the you might be off by just a little bit.

...and you need more skill to drift.
In other words, it takes a more skilled driver to drift than grip, right?

OK. Let's take a good grip racer (being Finnish I nominate Kimi Räikkönen) and a good drifter. Now, let's see which takes longer: Räikkönen learning to drift a D1GP car like the other guy or the other guy learning to race a F1 car like Räikkönen. While the former isn't going to happen instantly it doesn't matter much as the latter isn't going to happen in a few years.

In other words, it takes a more skilled driver to drift than grip, right?

OK. Let's take a good grip racer (being Finnish I nominate Kimi Räikkönen) and a good drifter. Now, let's see which takes longer: Räikkönen learning to drift a D1GP car like the other guy or the other guy learning to race a F1 car like Räikkönen. While the former isn't going to happen instantly it doesn't matter much as the latter isn't going to happen in a few years.

I doubt Kimi would be a champion D1GP driver in less than a year,

How about looking at it this way.

I can drift. Not very good, a bit jerky and wobbly, but I can. If I devoted a few weeks, I'm sure I'd be pretty good at it.

F1 takes an insane amount of training. Thats should be more than enough to show which one takes more skill. People race for years and never become F1 level.

Back