The Distracting Background Cars in Media Thread

This episode of The Bill; Chief Inspector Conway is walking down the street to go and talk to someone and for no reason at all, he walks in front of this clearly out of place car:

01.png

02.png

This episode is from 1995 so the car is at least 30-35 years out of date even at the time. I mean, it's so random to have such an obviously dated car, in good condition as well, be in such a prominent position in the shot when it serves no story purpose at all.

I've tried looking up the licence plate with the DVLA but the website isn't working for me. It's either VVS 268 or VVS 368.

Last edited:
My first guess is an Impala so going with 268, it comes back with Chevrolet in Blue. But research tells me it's probably the '59 Bel Air instead. I'm not good with 50's American cars so anyone feel free to correct.

Last edited:
My first guess is an Impala so going with 268, it comes back with Chevrolet in Blue. But research tells me it's probably the '59 Bel Air instead. I'm not good with 50's American cars so anyone feel free to correct.
I’m thinking it’s a Bel Air or Biscayne but probably more likely a Bel Air.

Watched some movies I haven't seen in a while. In Shaft, had to pause when I saw the Altima and Reliant K. Behind it is a Mazda 6(Thought it was a Millenia) and to the right, ahead of the Impala/Caprice, I think it's a Volvo 240.
Also, Shaft drives a grey Monte Carlo SS(last of the V8s ;) ) with deleted stripes and bucket seats.

IMG_20201029_092549.jpg

Last edited:
I've tried looking up the licence plate with the DVLA but the website isn't working for me. It's either VVS 268 or VVS 368.

TotalCarCheck and Caranalytics says [1959] Chevrolet GMC Biscayne (VVS268). Registered in the UK on 19th April 1993 and the tax expired almost exactly a year ago to the day.

Surprised I can't find it logged on IMCDb.

Last edited:
Another 1995 episode of The Bill.

DS Greig and DC Skase go to someone's house to interview a burglary suspect and there's a Toyota Supra on the drive and the Group A 3.0 litre one from the looks of it. The guy washes cars so no surprise that there's a nice car at the house.

sup.png

sup.png

Last edited:
It's absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic, but what are these [presumably] rankings in full?

Detective Constable and Detective Sergeant; the first two ranks in British police forces:

Uniformed ranks:
Constable
Sergeant
Inspector
Chief Inspector
Superintendant
Chief Superintendant

The ranks are the same for detectives just with 'Detective' prefixing the rank.

Last edited:
Distracting but more in the way of. "Oh, I forget these things even existed". A Smart Roadster in a Bald and Bankrupt video on Youtube.

Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 16-29-52 Looking For Love In A Ukrainian Village ( Isn't Easy ) 🇺🇦 - ...png

Was the Smart Roadster objectively bad or was it just niche and obscure, and so it never caught on? Though I can't imagine owning one, I do find them appealing.

Aaaaanyway...

This is a longshot, I know, but I was wondering if a reverse "lookup" might work here, particularly among those familiar with British television. There's an ad that I see for a streaming platform ("Acorn," I believe) featuring British comedies and dramas, and in one snippet there's a woman seated in what appears to be a bluish or greenish silver Austin-Healey (it's a tight headshot on the driver's seat but the chrome windshield pillar and door top trim are in view). Any idea what the show might be?

Was the Smart Roadster objectively bad or was it just niche and obscure, and so it never caught on? Though I can't imagine owning one, I do find them appealing.
Don't know honestly. Seem to recall the reviews in car magazines I used to buy being fairly mixed. Have to agree that they are kind of appealing, just because they are so unusual.

Posted this Nova in a different thread. From another love story movie named Love Jacked(yep).
View attachment 1082514
Now I have to seek out this movie just for this Nova. Actually, the thing I want to see are the Bridgestone white letter tires the car wears. That has to be when I was very young because I have never seen a set of them on a street car, just race cars. I'm checking IMDB now. Hmm...released in 2018.

Last edited:
Now I have to seek out this movie just for this Nova. Actually, the thing I want to see are the Bridgestone white letter tires the car wears. That has to be when I was very young because I have never seen a set of them on a street car, just race cars. I'm checking IMDB now. Hmm...released in 2018.
The car is shown from the opening scene and various points of the movie through to the end. Belongs to the man wearing the cap. The Nova looks pristine.

I never pictured Caddicarus to be the type of person who drives a Subaru WRX STI. Maybe it belongs to someone close tho.
(Forgive me for the following cursed photos)

Screenshot_20220217_230751_com.vanced.android.youtube_edit_22511249034583.jpg
Screenshot_20220217_221721_com.vanced.android.youtube_edit_21376200760798.jpg

There was also this EP3 Civic Type R in one of his videos.

Screenshot_20220217_224938_com.vanced.android.youtube_edit_21359631218613.jpg

So we seriously have a thread like this devoted to weird cars in media but nobody is gonna mention the Chevy Tahoe in the background of the Halo live-action trailer?

You know, the one that’s getting meme’d to hell and back. The one that’s five hundred years in the future on another planet?

Well consider that fixed.

949B7303-B21D-40B1-86AD-19B756275FA5.jpeg

It’s been such a meme in fact, the SUV is now available as a mod for Halo 3, so you can do the iconic Warthog Run at the end of the game in your now period correct Chevy Tahoe.

093197C9-9CEC-4AE9-BB6F-4AC25BFD3B7A.jpeg

Last edited:
I never pictured Caddicarus to be the type of person who drives a Subaru WRX STI. Maybe it belongs to someone close tho.
(Forgive me for the following cursed photos)

There was also this EP3 Civic Type R in one of his videos.
Reminds me of Angry Joe and his 3000GT. I feel like some of these YTers are at least somewhat enthusiasts, but rarely bring up their own personal cars. I could see Caddicarus with an STI as I do remember he had some sort of performance car in the past (haven't watched his videos in ages, could just be that Civic Type R I was thinking of)

So we seriously have a thread like this devoted to weird cars in media but nobody is gonna mention the Chevy Tahoe in the background of the Halo live-action trailer?

You know, the one that’s getting meme’d to hell and back. The one that’s five hundred years in the future on another planet?

Well consider that fixed.

It’s been such a meme in fact, the SUV is now available as a mod for Halo 3, so you can do the iconic Warthog Run at the end of the game in your now period correct Chevy Tahoe.
I do sometimes forget this thread (despite being the one who created it) when I do actually notice something in the background. But there's times where I don't really want to be double posting/reviving a thread that doesn't seem to be that popular. Certainly was one of the more infamous background cars as of late. :lol:

All of these are from RiffTrax.

First gen VW school bus from A Talking Car? educational short. This short was made in the mid to late 1970s. I'd like to think the VW somehow survived.
51895640157_ffc030cecd_o.png

Volvo P1900 Sport (only 68 made in 1956/7) from Invasion of the Animal People aka Terror in the Midnight Sun aka Rymdinvasion i Lappland in the original Swedish (Space Invasion of Lappland). It's just so surprising to see such a rare car in such an awful low-budget sci-fi movie.
51896599741_7965a008ec_o.png

A first generation Corvair and a wonderfully worn out Land Rover 88 inch wheelbase pickup on the same street in Death Promise a super low-quality horribly acted yet surprisingly sincere kung fu film from the 1970s. I've wanted a Land Rover 88 pickup ever since I first saw this.
51896599496_441a9e1a10_o.png

51896937009_875b8e7ce5_o.png

Last edited:
Back