The DIY-ers corner

• Thread starter Jet Badger
  • 342 comments
Since you guys offered no help, I decided to go with greywash!

:D

IMG_20151202_151449.jpg

IMG_20151202_151441.jpg

So, I decided I need new stands for my 2 front speakers. My idea of finding 2 stands looking like our standing lamp was dumb, as I couldn't find them. Hell, I'll make them myself. Cue the idea for some old table legs. Found.

IMG_20160102_202929.jpg

On both sides there were square blocks that needed to go away. So they went. And holes for the wires. Cue holes.

But since these are quite old and the varnish on them is damn near impossible to sand off by hand. Cue brilliant idea:

IMG_20160102_202924.jpg

All I need now is a way to keep it centered on the piece of metal, otherwise my setup and possibly the workbench it's mounted on will start to walk away from me. :lol:

Probably have gotten beyond this, but an idea may be to get some self locking nuts. Not sure if that is a threaded rod you are using but those nuts have a domed head. Get a pair that are a bit bigger than the diameter of the hole. This should keep them centered.
That drill set up is pretty slick. I've set aside an old blender base to build a little lathe. That's a good idea though.

Alright here is a contribution from me.
IMG_20160106_223200878.jpg

Been getting into elite dangerous and found looking around with one of the hats quite cumbersome. Saw some TrackIR videos and after some research, found some open source programs and decided to try my hand at making my own. This was the result of it.
IMG_20160109_114211298.jpg
IMG_20160109_114159522.jpg
IMG_20160109_114139091.jpg
IMG_20160108_230809066.jpg
IMG_20160108_230821659.jpg
IMG_20160107_195708540.jpg
TrackIR costs around $140, $150, more for the "pro" which comes with the IR clip.
I spent 2.99 for the driver to run the ps3eye on my computer, had all the rest laying around. I used some amber LEDs, a 90°, 10mm, 50mm and 70mm K'Nex piece, a button pilfered from an old transducer project and a spare battery I have from quadcopters. And lots of hot glue!
It's got to be said, it works pretty good, now that I have it working. First I tried freetrack, and that worked great to get the camera set up, but every time I launch a game, it crashes. I heard facetracknoir worked pretty good, but it wouldn't inject into the game. I had heard about open track, but what I heard wasn't the best. But I happened across a video where someone got Freetrack loaded in ED using open track.
Well, that didn't work so I just ran open track on its own so i could at least give it a try, and it worked. I hadn't messed with any of the setting, so it wasn't smooth or tracking well, but it worked!
So, after an hour of fine tuning I got it working pretty good. Its nice looking around with just a little head movement. If the reported release price of the oculus is any indicator of what vr headsets are going to cost, then this will be getting an immense amount of use. If you're are into flight or race sims, this honestly is a must have.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I didn't think I'd ever post here, but look now...

I made this wheelstand for my G27 during December and had it finished by the start of January. It's not the best, it has some "that'll do" solutions to it and it shakes from to side when using it because of lack of lateral support, but it didn't cost me anything but time. And I'm quite happy with it. :)
2016-02-26 19.57.03.jpg

2016-02-26 19.58.13.jpg

2016-02-26 19.59.09.jpg

And, now that I have your attention, I can show you a plan I made for a foldable desk that I can use in our new house.

2016-02-26 20.02.25.jpg

It's going to solve all of my current problems.
1. My desk is too big.
2. I don't have enough use able space on it.
3. My wheelstand can't fit under it.
(I did this on my phone, so please excuse any formatting errors. I can't fix them.)

Last edited:
Probably have gotten beyond this, but an idea may be to get some self locking nuts. Not sure if that is a threaded rod you are using but those nuts have a domed head. Get a pair that are a bit bigger than the diameter of the hole. This should keep them centered.
That drill set up is pretty slick. I've set aside an old blender base to build a little lathe. That's a good idea though.

I actually tried using nuts but they just didn't want to center the setup. I found a rubber plug that fitted precisely and for the other side I used a plastic nozzle. Worked like a charm, but I had to set thise project aside to work on my pickup, my dads pickup and my brother's new house. When I continue I will post the rest

Having received a new, quite a bit larger center speaker:

DSC_0025.JPG

And it's a bit too heavy to put it in place of the old one, on a flimsy pole above the tv, I decided it would be nice if it was placed inside my tv cabinet. But it didn't fit due to the height. I wasn't allowed by the lady in the house to get another, bigger cabinet so I had to be sneaky and creative.

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

I just raised the upper plank by fitting a 2cm slat between it.

I wonder how long it will take before she notices that I modified it. :D

Edit.

The upper plank will eventually be replaced by a thicker, sturdier one that will be painted in greywash, to match the desk I made.

Last edited:
And, now that I have your attention, I can show you a plan I made for a foldable desk that I can use in our new house.

View attachment 518973

It's going to solve all of my current problems.
1. My desk is too big.
2. I don't have enough use able space on it.
3. My wheelstand can't fit under it.
(I did this on my phone, so please excuse any formatting errors. I can't fix them.)

That section that folds in, are you thinking of doing a support leg that swings out horizontally via hinge?

That section that folds in, are you thinking of doing a support leg that swings out horizontally via hinge?

That was my original plan, but it has changed a tiny bit from the drawing, however it is mostly the same. The folding bit will have 2 legs attached to the underside the will automatically fall down when the table is unfolded, and is easy to fold up when I need the table to fold up. As it is right now, I've managed to put the tabletop itself and folding table w/legs together. Now I just need to put on the legs for the main table and put together the screen tables. (No pictures yet.)

Bringing this thread back.

Not a huge DIY project but I made a temperature controlled fermentation chamber for home brewing:

Temp controller I wired up so I can plug the freezer into it and have it hold any temp I want it to by cycling the freezer on/off. Still need to figure out how to mount it without drilling into my freshly painted dining room walls.

Filled my fermentation bucket with 5 gallons of ~80°F water to test it out. Set the controller to 60°F with a 2° differential range. Cooled the water down to 60°F very quickly the freezer shut off, as I wanted it to.

Duct taped the temp sensor to the side of the bucket to get an accurate reading of the beer (or in this case water) inside:

Having received a new, quite a bit larger center speaker:

View attachment 539787

And it's a bit too heavy to put it in place of the old one, on a flimsy pole above the tv, I decided it would be nice if it was placed inside my tv cabinet. But it didn't fit due to the height. I wasn't allowed by the lady in the house to get another, bigger cabinet so I had to be sneaky and creative.

View attachment 539788

View attachment 539789

I just raised the upper plank by fitting a 2cm slat between it.

I wonder how long it will take before she notices that I modified it. :D

Edit.

The upper plank will eventually be replaced by a thicker, sturdier one that will be painted in greywash, to match the desk I made.

Yeah so, I'm gonna replace that cabinet.

Here's a quick paint creation!

tvkast1.png

It will be just a bit wider and deeper so that the PS4 and amplifier will have a bit more room surrounding them.

HxWxD is 69x90x50cm. It will be the same off-white and greywash as the desk. But first the weather needs to get a bit cooler.

Finally I had the time, and motivation, to get rid of a bunch of cables running alongside the wall to the tv cabinet that have been bugging me since forever. The addition of an extra ethernetcable, a blue one, pushed me over the edge.

I don't have a before picture but there were 4 cables. A blue ethernet, a white ethernet, a black tv cable, and a power cable. Too much for me.

I ripped off the plinth, used my multitool to trim the wood behind it so that it had room for more cables, drilled a couple of holes in the drywall and pulled the cables through.

DSC_0453.JPG

On the left used to be a tv cable plate and on the right was just an ugly cover plate with 2 cables sticking out. The cables now go further down behind the wall and come out behind the plinth.

Behind the plinth are also 3 speaker cables.

DSC_0458.JPG

That's the exit point behind my cabinet.

And this is the result, with the new, less ugly covers on the holes.

DSC_0455.JPG

Only the powercable remains in sight. I can live with that.

Next project is the left side of the cabinet. That holds an ethernetcable, HDMI cable, speaker wire and 6 audio cables running to the pc. Half of them behind the plinth, the other half in an ugly ass cable gutter.

DSC_0456.JPG

See? Ugly. Needs to go away.

As a bonus a duct taped vacuum cleaner nozzle.

We should rename this thread the "Dennisch does stuff thread".

DSC_0496.JPG

For the bass in the pickup. Now I had access to some proper tools and this was the result of 1,5 hours of measuring, sawing and screwing together. And then taking it apart again because a certain dillhole measured with closed eyes making the box too tall to sit behind the comfy pickup couch.

But,

DSC_0497.JPG

Like a glove.

Soon, maybe, probably during the summer I might upgrade my DIY driving rig. A DIY 7-Speed H-shifter, e-brake and re-do the PVC structure in order to make it more stable, fit invert mounted pedals and have a more realistic and sporty driving position, also make it more adjustable for people over 6ft. I've been sketching some prototypes for the PVC and I have a rough idea of how to do it. As for the shifter there's still some issues to solve, but when I have the time, I'll sketch some prototypes as well.

"Likes" should be sufficient. I enjoy seeing people building their own things, but I can't relate to a lot of them.

Update on 1200w of bass. Almost set my car on fire hooking it up. Chinese piece of crap amplifier. + on +, remote on remote, ground on ground, go to the battery to put the fuse back in, walk back to the amp, car filled with acidic smoke... yanked it out and gave it a flying lesson.

But with 400w it still goes like oomph. So much that I need to stiffen up the back of the box and maybe drill a big hole in it.

Speaking of car audio, I was using a simple 2x22W diy amp for a bit but the factory steering wheel radio control lever just couldn't give me peace. It had to be utilised. HAD TO!

I decided that I wanted it to control my android phone via the audio jack. You can use it to skip songs, control the volume or take a call. Here's the reference for anyone interested: https://source.android.com/devices/accessories/headset/specification.html#electrical

Just that to skip a song you need to doubleclick or triple click the button that would be on your headset. Sure that could be done manually here too, but I wanted to have single clicks for that, so using a microcontroller to convert these single clicks into fancy multi clicks was the way to go. I used an ATTiny85 to do that, mainly 'cause it's smol. Here's how you program one using Arduino, for those interested: http://highlowtech.org/?p=1695

Prototype:

cl3x9qX.jpg

There's not much to do there, just turning a button on and off a few times. :)

Code:
int laststate1 = 0;
int laststate2 = 0;

int delaylenght = 100;

void setup() {
pinMode(0, OUTPUT);
pinMode(1, INPUT_PULLUP);
pinMode(2, INPUT_PULLUP);
digitalWrite(0, LOW);
}

void loop() {
 //double-click song forward
 if(digitalRead(1) == LOW) {
   if (laststate1 == 0) {
   digitalWrite(0, HIGH);
   delay(delaylenght);
   digitalWrite(0, LOW);
   delay(delaylenght);
   digitalWrite(0, HIGH);
   delay(delaylenght);
   digitalWrite(0, LOW);
   }
   laststate1 = 1;
} else laststate1 = 0;

//triple-click song back
 if(digitalRead(2) == LOW) {
   if (laststate2 == 0) {
   digitalWrite(0, HIGH);
   delay(delaylenght);
   digitalWrite(0, LOW);
   delay(delaylenght);
   digitalWrite(0, HIGH);
   delay(delaylenght);
   digitalWrite(0, LOW);
   delay(delaylenght);
   digitalWrite(0, HIGH);
   delay(delaylenght);
   digitalWrite(0, LOW);
   }
   laststate2 = 1;
} else laststate2 = 0;
}

The schematic. I just used random components I had laying around mostly. Somehow works. :boggled:

a7naCXU.png

EBVIMDX.jpg

M5ubqVq.jpg

XDdTA6O.jpg

It werks!

Well, a few other things over the past months.

Mom wanted a TV/media table with drawers and stashes, I drew this up in CAD and got all the parts cut. Spent a full day assembling it afterwards...

3gqMLLn.jpg

M1we4wX.jpg

And a...box to fit in with the theme. The last 1/5th of the lid is fixed for a future lamp to be placed on it, the rest is supported with a small shock to make it smoother and stay open. :)

BalM9yU.jpg

A small thing, but dad's winter wheels were all ugly and rusted. I didn't get a pic of the 'before', but it was pretty bad. I spent a good few weekends grinding the rust off of them. Then just painted with Hammerite and alloy spray paint.

HoAWMb2.jpg

Also did something I wanted to do for a loooong time. I've been using these computer power supplies for various things with their wires chopped off and making a mess everywhere. This weekend finally got around to executing it a bit better with binding posts, blinky LEDs and switches.

gTScd1O.jpg

My new favourite tool - scotch brite came in handy. :dopey:

tiI6oBY.jpg

@Jet Badger we just got a CNC router at work, I've already got plans for a nice turntable, amp, HTPC and record cabinet...

Incidentally, since starting this job I've had zero energy or enthusiasm for my own projects, I mean I pretty much spend all day here working out DIY fixes for problems so the last thing I want to do is go home and do more! That's not to say I don't still have ideas, though, but my G27 mod is still at the top of the list.

@Jet Badger we just got a CNC router at work, I've already got plans for a nice turntable, amp, HTPC and record cabinet...

Incidentally, since starting this job I've had zero energy or enthusiasm for my own projects, I mean I pretty much spend all day here working out DIY fixes for problems so the last thing I want to do is go home and do more! That's not to say I don't still have ideas, though, but my G27 mod is still at the top of the list.
I've been drooling over CNC machinery for months now after having to find somebody to make some parts for us at work. Having access to one sounds amazing, the possibilities are endless. :dopey:

I was looking around the hardware section looking for your thread on the G27 mod the other day, didn't have time to catch up on it yet though, but what I saw was way out of my scope of comprehension. :lol:

but what I saw was way out of my scope of comprehension. :lol:

To be fair it's out of mine too, I'm trying to learn as I go. Or was, while I was still working on it... I had some success but I probably need to learn how to use Atmel Studio and do all the USB stuff in C to actually finish the project, and that's not exactly trivial!

So having three days off work was the catalyst to get a deck built that has been on the cards for a while.
Main reason for it was to raise the level to the same as the door to the house removing a step up from the previous concrete.

I did however forget to take many progress photos so there is this one with it nearly finished.

20161031_200815-800x450.jpg

And this one with it done and fresh from it's second coat of oil.

20161101_214816-800x450.jpg

Pretty easy build really as the existing concrete was good so all that really was needed was to cut the joists down to the correct height and dyna bolt them to the concrete. Once done and ensuring it was level the boards were then nailed down a voila done.

That looks spectacular, @Shaun! 👍 Are you putting up a railing? At least I'm assuming that's what the grommet is for.

Meanwhile here I sit not working on my theater room wall as I've had a few things come up that have pulled me away from it for a bit. I should be able to start making some more progress on it pretty soon.

TB
That looks spectacular, @Shaun! 👍 Are you putting up a railing? At least I'm assuming that's what the grommet is for.

Meanwhile here I sit not working on my theater room wall as I've had a few things come up that have pulled me away from it for a bit. I should be able to start making some more progress on it pretty soon.

I had to look long and hard for this grommet you speak of and can only assume you mean the silver thingies in the deck? (There are also another four along the long edge of the deck)If so no they are lights.
Staying as is atm albeit with the garden to be cleaned up as there is crap lying everywhere that I moved as it got in the way.

I've been waiting in anticipation of you wall in the theater room as I think I can picture it but need to see it if I'm correct.

If so no they are lights.
Didn't even occur to me that they would be lights. :dunce:
I've been waiting in anticipation of you wall in the theater room as I think I can picture it but need to see it if I'm correct.
I'm a loooong ways from being done but this is the last picture I took on my phone.

20161026_062832.jpg

Again, the colors don't come through correctly on my phone. There will be some better DSLR pics when I'm done. :)

Back