The Draft and Bump Drafting?

Chadwicksracing

SCANA Creator
Premium
United States
South Florida,
Chadwicksracing & Racecleanstupid
The Draft? What is that exactly? Drafting or slipstreaming is a technique in sports racing where competitors align in a close group in order to reduce the overall effect of drag or fluid resistance of the group in a slipstream. Especially when high speeds are involved, drafting can significantly reduce the average energy expenditure required to maintain a certain speed. In GT5:P you can also bump draft and this gives the lead car a huge boost of speed in the corners and the straights.

drafting.gif

5.jpg

Well most of us know what it is and what its capable of. You can win or lose races because of the slipstream effect. Now to the point! In a race what is the objective? Oh this is not a hard one.. TO WIN. Yes that is the point of racing to be the best car. Well I am so sick of people drafting off of me and leaving me out to dry on the staights. It is a know fact that two cars are faster than one. When are trying to caught the race leader when we are in 10 place using a guys draft and just passing him gets you almost nowhere in some cases. I just wanted to educate everyone about how much faster you can be if you bump draft with another car.

The point is you are both trying to win the race and the race leader is 10 seconds ahead of you. Why not work together? I can't tell you how many races I have won because of using the draft correctly. In most cases I was in Last place starting and ended up first. Really when you just use someones slipstream and just pass them you usually never caught the leader that way.

So the next time you race try this dump drafting method. (It works well on High Speed Ring, Daytona (road course too) and Fuji.) My hope is to make the racing better. What are your thoughts?

draft.193.jpg

If done at the right time bump drafting is def the way to go at daytona. I was able to hook up with a few people to great effect tonight. It is a bit risky and I def woundt advise doing it in the turns. I try for one mabye two bumps on the back strech if we arnt that close to the turn, and one in the tri oval if I can get there before the curve. I was also trying to back off be for corner entry so the other driver could do what he had to to make the turn then use the draft to catch back up and bump again. Unless you really know the other driver and his car its probably not a good idea to ride his bumper in to the turn. You might have pushed him past a speed at witch he can take the corner smoothly and may need to hit the brake or swing wide ect, so give them room till ou get a feel for how they handle it.

I hadn't really thought of that and actually didn't know bump drafting as a technique, I'll try it some time, im not sure if this will work in an online match though.

Once in a while I get another player who knows how to bump draft and makes the game much more enjoyable on daytona.

We usually leave the rest of the pack by a good 5-10 seconds.

It worked in GT4... maybe it'll work here... but I don't know how the upcoming damage modelling would accept it.

Bump-drafting would show up as multiple small collisions between two vehicles... that might force any damage modelling system to assign, say, error values to each car... x number of micro-collisions, for example, will equal 25% front suspension damage... etcetera... but in GT5p... it's probably possible to get away with it, as prologue allows you to get away with small fender benders without a black flag.

You'd have to know your online opponents, though, to get this to work... some guys might get P.O'd at getting tapped on the bumper, unless they know what's going on.

It worked in GT4... maybe it'll work here... but I don't know how the upcoming damage modelling would accept it.

Bump-drafting would show up as multiple small collisions between two vehicles... that might force any damage modelling system to assign, say, error values to each car... x number of micro-collisions, for example, will equal 25% front suspension damage... etcetera... but in GT5p... it's probably possible to get away with it, as prologue allows you to get away with small fender benders without a black flag.

You'd have to know your online opponents, though, to get this to work... some guys might get P.O'd at getting tapped on the bumper, unless they know what's going on.

Yea, I had times people were people would get pissed off and either ram me off the track or just let me pass cause they didn't know what was going on.

...or start swerving around wildly, trying to keep you out of their draft. The world (well, Playstation world) would be a better place if people understood bump drafting.

Yeah I had one guy that I stayed behind and kept bumpping on the back strach and took us both from last to first. Then on the final lap he pulled way to the inside on the backstrech, so I figured he wanted a good race to the finish line as we where way ahead of the feild. Well either hes a jerk or he didnt understand what I was doing and was pissed because as soon as I pulled along side WAM in to the wall I go. I got second so meh I guess but WTH.

Oh yes bump drafting works. If everyone at GTP reads this..Then they start using it on high speed tracks and all the noobs and idiots will start to caught on. On every speedway I bump draft when I can. So when I am behind you on HSR and Daytona don't get mad when I keep hitting you on the straights.. I am not trying to wreck you I am trying to get to the front with your help. :)

Nice diagram I've never considered bump drafting in gt5p. It won't cause a penalty to kick in?

No it will not impose the penalty, as long as you don't punt a car going 150 and you are going 190. lol

I hadn't really thought of that and actually didn't know bump drafting as a technique, I'll try it some time, im not sure if this will work in an online match though.

It works just fine in online matches. Just get behind someone and hit their bumper you both go faster and if you do it right you can create a very large gap on the field.

depends a little in what car you are driving...in tourincar races as the clio cup or wtcc races this technique can be used for sure,but driving single seaters and lemans cars etc...it will be suicidal!!
spyrrari.

Uh go watch a stock car race at daytona, Its a common practice on super speedways

Common practice in top-level karting too, karters actually ride along pushing the kart in front so the back kart benefits from the draft and the front kart benefits from the power of another pushing them along.

It's a nice idea but I agree many people won't have a clue whats going on in online races and take it as punting.

On a similar note to that mentioned in the OP, I find it annoying when I'm in second, say, with the first placed car maybe four seconds ahead, and instead of the third placed guy behind working with me to catch up (which I can easily do) they'll attempt a pass with a good chance of slowing us both down (or taking us both off) so neither of us will win.

Since you have no way of knowing whether the guy infront will co-operate or welcome a bump from the rear (which is inherently more risky for the guy on the receiving end than the guy doing the bumping), then it surely cannot be right to condone the activity in general. I'd say it was only 'acceptable' if you knew for certain that the guy infront was receptive towards the idea, and even then, it is questionable whether it should be regarded as legitimate/clean behaviour...

I reckon with the advent of private rooms, such an activity will be at the discretion of the host, like "House Rules" etc.. But I can't see this being allowed by any self-respecting community who would otherwise outlaw contact, especially unwarranted contact from the rear.

Phnarr...

I wouldn't suggest pushing Ferraris or any other high power car which hasn't got a wing. Those are easily destabilized and a push draft more than often drives a F-40 into sideways drift. Especially if the car is setup with excessive toe settings. Happened to me a lot. Tired of being bumped out in every second corner. F-40 manages a turn speed of approximately 265 km/h while a tuned car with low wing manages 280 km/h.

In a race consisting of cars of roughly the same downforce, power and weight (NASCAR, Clio cup, Go-kart and Tourig cars) this makes more sense. But in GT5P, cars participating in races are more than often in different classes. Elise vs Corvette vs Ferrari vs Clio etc. Those heavier cars tend to push lighter cars over the limit, causing them to go of the track or lose speed in the curves due to missing the racing line. Bordering to a cheat...

You guys have no idea how happy I am seeing this thread here.
Finally some people who know what racing is and what techniques can be used.
after all it is a Sim right ;)

and off course it would be a little silly to bump draft a light vehicle over its limit to safely proceed. I think that if you know what bump drafting is, you also know when to use it and when not.
if the vehicle in front is not a 'worthy bumpdrafter' then just draft and pass.
it would indeed be unfair driving people off the road like that.

Unfortunately I cannot change my name right now ( register for GTP nickname) due to having the DL version.
If you see someone driving around nickname MerSco from [BE] that would be me :D
I am not the best driver but I sure will follow the 'houserules' as much as I can.

See you on the track sometime 👍

As it is predominantly a Nascar tactic, this should really only be used in Nascar type races/tracks. It isn't common in online racing games and I would say that the vast majority of racers won't take kindly to it.
The cars in GT5 are predominantly street cars with a couple of racers, bumping wouldn't be condoned in the sort of races that are simulated in this game.

As has already been mentioned this is definately a winning tactic but only for private rooms where everyone knows about it.

I've tried this in online races before on the highspeed ring straight and all I got was rammed at the receivers next oppertunity. Roll on Private races!

i try to avoid this tactic online seeing as i dont want some one to get pissed at me and end up taking me out because im doing it. normally i have no problem going from dead last to the top 3 in my tuned vette in the 700PP race but if i see someone with the GTP flag then i might decide to give them a friendly nudge just to get up to the front of the pack a bit quicker ;)

I wouldn't suggest pushing Ferraris or any other high power car which hasn't got a wing. Those are easily destabilized and a push draft more than often drives a F-40 into sideways drift. Especially if the car is setup with excessive toe settings. Happened to me a lot. Tired of being bumped out in every second corner. F-40 manages a turn speed of approximately 265 km/h while a tuned car with low wing manages 280 km/h.

In a race consisting of cars of roughly the same downforce, power and weight (NASCAR, Clio cup, Go-kart and Tourig cars) this makes more sense. But in GT5P, cars participating in races are more than often in different classes. Elise vs Corvette vs Ferrari vs Clio etc. Those heavier cars tend to push lighter cars over the limit, causing them to go of the track or lose speed in the curves due to missing the racing line. Bordering to a cheat...

Well if you are getting hit so hard that your car goes side ways in the corners its not bump drafting then. I do deem that too aggressive. Once people figure out that they just got a +15 MPH boots from me they tend to be ok with it. I have never had a problem with someone getting upset over going faster on the track.

The only way you should ever bump draft someone in the corners is if you know their car can handle the extra speed. Usually I stay off their bumper in the corners. But sometime whenI know the guy is good and know what he can do I do bump him in the corners.

I also feel it is perfectly legal and repectful way to race. Other wise I would not have posted this thread about it. I have raced Nascar games, F1 games, and the GT games, drafting and bump drafting is a common practice. Exacpt F1 you don't want to bump someone in an open wheel car. lol ;)

Yeah keep in mind where talking about bump drafting not slamming in to the rear of the other car. I have ben slamed a few time and pick up a crazy amout of speed but it was pretty hairy. I usually try to stick to a few MPH faster and im always off thew gas when I hit, dont want to drive thru the car just push it a little.

Feel free to bump me!!(before the turns that is,doesn't matter what I'm driving) I find that those who run Daytona often and always finish in top 3 will welcome a bump-draft partner as they understand what is going on and what it takes to get there. Work together to win!!

Bump-drafting should only be used on the straightaways, and never in a turn, or at the entry to a turn.

Can't say i've ever heard of this before but i'll be sure to look out for people doing it:tup: It sounded slightly unothodox at first but if it works and it's done properly, then I imagine it can work wonders:)

Can I get abit more in depth on the bump draft? Isent it just drafting while touching? or do you litterly bump eachother numerouse times while drafting?

From what i've gathered, it's a small bump after a draft behind someone. Then you repeat the same method until a short distance before the next turn:)

Back