The Draft and Bump Drafting?

while we are talking about daytona what is the fastest car (lap time not speed) not including the F2007, i have got the F2007 but i dont like to race it around daytona because it just dosent feel right.
so does anyone know the car that can do the best laptimes because at the moment i use my elise 111r tuned because it can reach 200mph down the straight and go round the corners at about 180mph and my best lap is 46,*** second lap. oh and that is on S9 so i think the tyre restrictions are S2
so can someone tell me what i can beet that time with?

A couple of updates ago, the Mine's BNR was my choice ride for Daytona. I think it was a 750PP event at the time. What's the PP limit for the current Daytona race? Maybe it's my driving style, but the BNR was smooth as silk while being slightly under-powered on the straights. I always made gains in the turns and won a few races drafting to the finish coming out of turn 4. Mostly, I'd place 2nd or lower due to the comprimise between power and handling though. It was a good drafting vehicle. 215mph was easily made on the approach to turn 1 and I could usually manage 210 by the time I got to turn 3 - both from drafting. Good support ride for team racing. But, not ideal for leading the pack in my opinion. It's still my favorite Daytona ride though.

600pp. No BNR here, maybe the tuned 350z may do better than the 512bb. The ferrari is great if you are by yourself, but its twitchy as heck if you move around.

ok i just looked it up and the race is S9 680pp S3 tyre restriction, any ideas about the fastest with those restrictions?
i liked to use the elise 111R tuned around Daytona Speedway online and to be honest i used to win quite alot to say how slow the car can be, sadly when i made it up to the front some people used to tap the back of the car and because the car was unstable it used to spin when i tried to correct it, the funny thing is once i got to the front, someone spun me, and i still won the race in the elise lol

Try a corvette, maybe a 350z like the one i'm tuning. I don't remember what car I used to finish it.

ok i will.
ive already finished it, i used that race to get CR 2 million lol
i just like to use the race to get big bucks so i can buy and tune realy good cars for online races.

Right now I'm tuning a car to have as the GTP daytona car like someone already said in this thread. Right now I believe the 512bb might be it, but please prove me wrong.

Nope, too twitchy.

Have a ride behind GTP_rexc. He'll teach you how to drive the 512 :nervous:👍

No it's way faster than the 350z, but under the switching lanes type of driving that I do at daytona it's not in the place god meant it to be. The Z is very good but slow. Just had a race against a G37, maybe that is faster.

Let me clear things up.
Side drafting is not to be done door to door, it only works when the guy next to you has over 1/3 of his car in front of you.
There are many ways to to side draft, you can just draft by, draft by and block him or you can pull a tony stewart and sidedraft hiom then after you go by jump to the other end of the track so he doesnt draft you.
And no, it doesn't make anyone loose unless it's in a turn, then its not side drafting rather trying not to push him off the track.

From my observations, my car was about a 1/3 ahead of the guy who sideways drafted me. 👍

As for sideways drafting on a corner, I have some proof in this video of the phenomenon. Check out how the Viper flies up to the wall as I pass, I know for sure that I did not hit him. At first I thought it was dodgy collision detection, but with you talking about sideways drafting on a corner, it all makes sense now. The incident of note in this video happens at 3.10.xxx.

Anyway, this video was shot a few weeks ago, at Daytona Speedway, back when it was a 700pp race. I was racing a red Corvette tuned. After not one but three 5 second penalties, and a 12 second deficit, I managed to pull back probably one of the greatest comebacks of all time!

Before you say it was the 'online boost', ask yourself, how? My car never travelled any faster that I had tuned it to go (apart from when I was drafting of course), so how was the online boost helping me? I will tell you after a few of you have guessed.

I'm sorry if the quality of the video is poor, the original was DVD quality, just don't know how to transcode it to a smaller file but keeping the quality. Any help would be appreciated.

In that event it was possible due to the ammount of downforce that we ran. Now in the 600pp, its more important to get the car settled than to make it fast flat out.

In that event it was possible due to the ammount of downforce that we ran. Now in the 600pp, its more important to get the car settled than to make it fast flat out.

Yeah, I'm noticing that, but I wasn't running that much downforce anyway - I think it was 20/20 front and back. I'm struggling to find a competitive car since the update. The 512bb is fast, but too twitchy, and the ITR is solid, but lacks acceleration.

The G37 tuned (skyline tuned) is a great car, I'm working out a tune during the day to release by tomorrow hopefully after more RnD.

wow, I never knew that was the term for drafting. I used ot just think the cars speeded up when behind drivers as a sort of aid, thanks if anyone wants to try this method online sometime add me. tonyt3rry

ive just been online on Daytona and there was a couple of cars about 4 seconds infront then i started to do this technique with this french bloke (cant remember his name, first time i mat him) and by the start of the 5th lap we was all over the back of them in the end i gave the win to him for helping me out, so i finished 2nd.
i was using the old Ferrari 512BB, and he was in a Audi R8 so they can be competative cars.
i find the TVR tamora (i think its that one) was very competative but a bit twichy.

This is great guys, I am glad we are making your racing experience better with this technique!

ye i just done another race and i must have wone it by a cigarette paper it was that close lol i love this technique, i used to do it on forza 2 with my mate from school and now we both have PS3 with GT5P it makes the race on Daytona alot more fun.

your car not only makes a hole behind you, you also make a hole beside you. This helps you to finish your pass. But if you run side by side, you will slow yourself and the other car down.

Had a few bumps in HSR last night also. It really helps when there is a 3/4 sec gap form the lead pack.

I don't see myself doing it (almost) all the time round Daytona, but I understand you and think it's good to see so many people knowing about it and using well! It's a fun and "bonding" thing between racing pals. 👍

Last edited:
Used this technique yesterday on Fuji 750. It helped me and the guy ahead of me to get closer to the leading pack (we were on 4th and 5th).
Thanks for the tip. 👍

Drafting works both ways. Listen to NASCAR drivers talk about it during interviews and when Daytona or Talledega are discussed they'll all say the last place a driver wants to find themselves is leading the pack on the last lap. Sometimes the leader can hold the lead. However, the 2nd and 3rd place cars are the ones sitting in the catbird seat. That is, assuming they have enough pedal left to capitalize on the opportunity. And, it doesn't take much when you're catching the full draft of the car ahead of you.

I'm really glad we have Daytona to race online. It is a cat and mouse game when the drivers understand the draft. I'm certainly no expert. Side drafting is something I need to spend more time practicing. But, it's a great thrill to draft the leader coming out of turn 4 and out-maneuver him for a slingshot trip to the winner's circle.

I don't like bump drafting because I'm not going to try to help anyone else get to the first position along with me. There's plenty of cars to slip in between to get a boost to catch up to the one in first from all the way in the back. I noticed the slip stream effect to give cars a huge boost in this game and the car in front is all by itself so it receives to draft effect so will always be slower. So it's actually easy to catch up and past, I would only use the bump draft if I crashed into the wall and spun out to last.

The Draft? What is that exactly? .....

I hadn't seen this post before and thought it was new because there was some bump drafting discussed in some other thread. Nice post Chad, looking forward to drafting with you next time we meet.

Ok and this isn't cheating, because...?

I don't know for certain, but I don't think GTP has declared a rule that bump drafting is illegal, so it wouldn't be cheating if it is not officially denounced. Plus the fact that it is a common racing practice that helps BOTH drivers (when done properly).

You can not RAM the guy in front of you, thats why it's called "Bump" drafting.

I don't like bump drafting because I'm not going to try to help anyone else get to the first position along with me. There's plenty of cars to slip in between to get a boost to catch up to the one in first from all the way in the back.

You're missing that if there is a big gap between the 2nd pack and the lead pack THERE IS NO ONE TO DRAFT FROM, when you reach the lead of the 2nd pack :). And that's when I use it.

And only with people I know, since I don't want to get a bump missinterpreted, or help just "anyone" 👍

And only with people I know, since I don't want to get a bump missinterpreted, or help just "anyone" 👍

I was racing at Daytona Oval the other night, and I was in the leading pack, but got slammed into the wall, so I lost pace with the leaders. I noticed that GTP_DukeofPendle was a little behind me (and I'd read here that he was the king of bump drafting), so I dropped out of warp hoping to do some bump drafting back to the lead pack, but I'm not sure that he knew my intentions, so we both ended up crashing into each other and ruining both our chances.

If your reading this GTP_DoP, I apologise for causing you to crash. 👍

I think this is the problem with bump drafting - nobody quite knows when you're going to do it unless you've planned in advance. It's fair enough if there's a grid full of GTPers because we all know about this thread and if a tagged driver helps you along the straight you know what's going on.

But if you do it to a random, half the time they'll give you a whack or brake test you.

And if someone's behind you, chances are their "bump" will come right at the end of the straight when you'd normally want to be losing speed and not gaining it...

For the record, I'd prefer that people didn't bump draft me.

And if someone's behind you, chances are their "bump" will come right at the end of the straight when you'd normally want to be losing speed and not gaining it...

Yeah, tell me about it! Before the update, I had been shepherded into the first corner at speeds in excess of 200mph! It doesn't happen so much now, because of the lower points limit, but my fastest speed into turn 1 without crashing into the walls, or other drivers was 218mph! My exit speed at turn two was around 180mph, so I kinda free-wheeled it all the way round!

I hadn't seen this post before and thought it was new because there was some bump drafting discussed in some other thread. Nice post Chad, looking forward to drafting with you next time we meet.

I really don't know! :dunce:

Chad knows what he is talking about here , we had some good times out there and we did the bump draft thing , it does work . One little note on bump drafting, (please,please,please) do not bump draft some-one as they are approaching a corner, the last thing we need heading into a corner is that sudden burst of speed,it can become ugly really fast. Be smart and learn where and when to use this tactic.
GREAT POST CHAD !!!!!

do not bump draft some-one as they are approaching a corner, the last thing we need heading into a corner is that sudden burst of speed,it can become ugly really fast. Be smart and learn where and when to use this tactic.

This is the very, very important bit! If any GTPers feel like giving me a nudge then if it's after 2/3 the way down the straight then don't bother because that's when I'll be thinking about braking :P

Latest Posts

Back