The Draft and Bump Drafting?

I believe I have given away a lot my technique here. lol If I were to give my real GT setup then you could be as a fast as me. I won 5 (out of 15, then 5 races where disconnected by johhny_morons.) races at Daytona last night. And if I didn't win I was in the top 3 or it was because Johhny_idiot was ramming off the road. When we start having league matchs at Daytona I will be strong. It is good to know there are competitors as good as me, so it will give me a challenge.

Yeah magburner those are exactly the tactics I use to get to front. Countless times I get my competitors to over drive their cars. But every now and then I get someone that knows what they are doing. This one guy acutally figured out if he block my racing line, then I couldn't proceed. Since I am a clean and fair driver I will not do anything to move him, I will use my skill to get past him. Other drives think if they bump draft me just before the corner I will take a ride up the hill. Not the case.

Well guys I hope to find you guys out there so we can have a good one.

A joke at my expense? ahw..You shouldn't have! lol

It wasn't mean't to sound like it was a joke at your expense. I reckon your a pretty quick driver at Daytona, as I am, and I've seen the panic it can cause in other drivers. Much like that puppet dancing around, no doubt! 👍

Now I owe you an apology Magburner. I am sorry. lol I just reread the posts and they make sense now. Its funny how no sleep in a 72 hour period will make you see things that are not there. lol

I have good luck at Daytona, I have only come acrossed a few bad apples in the last 2 weeks. The rest was just the host quiting. But of course I say this now and next time to play johhny_moron will be ramming me. lol.

Oh, and yes I am fast there! I come from last place to podium finishes quite offen.

Now I owe you an apology Magburner. I am sorry. lol I just reread the posts and they make sense now. Its funny how no sleep in a 72 hour period will make you see things that are not there. lol

I have good luck at Daytona, I have only come acrossed a few bad apples in the last 2 weeks. The rest was just the host quiting. But of course I say this now and next time to play johhny_moron will be ramming me. lol.

Oh, and yes I am fast there! I come from last place to podium finishes quite offen.

Its ok pal, no need to apologise! 👍 :lol:

I actually like the charge from the back to the front. Some of the overtaking and drafting can be exciting, and very intense! Even more so now we have a 750pp limit. Earlier flew into turn 1 earlier at 218mph! I had to free-wheel fast to about 180mph, then powered out at 197mph in some guys slipstream! :lol: Daytona Speedway feels as fast as it looks with the new points limit! 👍

Well I just finished a Daytona oval setup for 700pp races, Im going to post it in the setups section and add a link here.

EDIT:
here ya'll Daytona go'ers, hope you have as much fun with it as I have!
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3005350&postcount=11

BTW, what car is that for? :odd:

Ok, I understand drafting, but I'm not sure how bump drafting works. Shouldn't the wind hitting the front car create resistance for the back car, canceling out any affect drafting would have?

Edit: I'm not sure, but I think I got it now. You don't stay on his bumper, but rather you tap it repeatedly? That way the front car gets a boost from the impact, and you can continue to draft.

Last edited:
Ok, I understand drafting, but I'm not sure how bump drafting works. Shouldn't the wind hitting the front car create resistance for the back car, canceling out any affect drafting would have?

Edit: I'm not sure, but I think I got it now. You don't stay on his bumper, but rather you tap it repeatedly?

We can teach you

Come to Daytonal Oval right now, we are all racing there.

:40 :50 ect

We are all in the chat as well

Join us

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=106476

Chad

I've been doing this quite alot recently... i noticed i had it done to me alot and didn't really understand it was faster.

Even better when its one of the GTP guys :D

I have to say that bump drafting is not on my top priority list. I've been bumped into guard rails, and into sand traps and sent spinning out. I mean, if you've got the draft of the guy, then just overtake him without making contact. Just a thought to you guys.

I'm with GT_Fanatic - you can get just as good a draught without contact, and you can still pull in front of them and return the favour. Be interesting if anyone would be willing to try out both methods over a lap and see which would be quicker?

Last edited:
Bump drafting takes a lot more timming and copperation from the other driver to make work. the lead guy has to come off the corner pretty stable so when you bump him hes not moving side to side. One thing they seam to be missing in the draft is the lead car from what i can tell dosnt get any help from the draft and 2 cars should give a better "boost" to a third car that come up behind them and 3 should give more to a forth ect. If they can get that working I think we would see more packs at daytona like theres suposed to be.

However I havent been able to get some one to stay behind me long enuf to really say for sure, letalone get 2,3,or 4 cars to stay togeather. That would be somethig fun to try for those of us GTP'ers that like the oval. Get at least 3 of us to pratice staying togeather for the whole 3 laps and see if we can pull away. we would all have to be running compreable (preferably the same) cars that have simmilar accle, topend and cornering ability. That way we would all know what each others car could do and wouldnt be suprised buy someone needing to slow for a corner.

Id say probably a "spec" car would be best, with a fixed setup that we all would run. If anyone wants to try and get that going let me know I'm game.

I have to say that bump drafting is not on my top priority list. I've been bumped into guard rails, and into sand traps and sent spinning out. I mean, if you've got the draft of the guy, then just overtake him without making contact. Just a thought to you guys.

The point is not to launch the guy in front into guard rails etc. It is to nudge him so his speed increases. It only works if the guy in front understands what you are doing and that you aren't just some regular punter looking for a demolition derby. If done correctly you should be able to pull a lead away from the rest of the pack since both of your cars will be capable of going faster than those who aren't bump drafting.

Be interesting if anyone would be willing to try out both methods over a lap and see which would be quicker?

This would be interseting to see, I remember a mission on GT4 in a box car where you had to draft then let the AI draft you - I never thought of bump drafting at the time. If anyone has any thoughts on the above, please comment.

The point is not to launch the guy in front into guard rails etc. It is to nudge him so his speed increases. It only works if the guy in front understands what you are doing and that you aren't just some regular punter looking for a demolition derby. If done correctly you should be able to pull a lead away from the rest of the pack since both of your cars will be capable of going faster than those who aren't bump drafting.

WHHOOOOOO wait a second there, if I get bump drafted by a guy, he's using me as a tool to gain he's own advantage. Its like the Daytona Speedway, on the final turn, they bump draft you to get your draft so they can take you on the finish line.

No, I think the idea is that you both get an advantage - the nudged guy gets an increase in speed, plus the guy doing the nudging gets a draught/tow. The thing I'm not sure about is whether it actually really speeds up your lap more than an a switch/overtaking draught method (does that make sense?) as the guy doing the bumping must slow down when he hits the car in front? I guess its up to who's the cleverest in terms of breaking the draught to who will win in a last lap/corner scenario?

Last edited:
Well I used to be dead against the bump draft until introduced to it properly by GTP_DukeOfPendle. Man he is the King of bump drafting. 👍 Twice we just creamed everyone else at Daytona tonight. Its such a hoot when your lead is just getting bigger and bigger and there is just nothing the competition can do.

The point is you have to trust each other and work together, and then it really doesn't matter who is first or second, we were slowing down to let the other win at the end anyway, because it is a team effort and gets two GTP tags at the top.

Anyone seen sideways drafting? I've spotted it twice, once against me, and once I did it myself. I'm not too sure how you do it, but I have noticed it a couple of times.

Any chance you could offer more info magburner, I for one have never heard of it.

Well, some guy here (I forget his name) showed me a video of it happening in a NASCAR video. It looked pretty impressive as the car was side by side with another guy, and just shot past into the lead. The car was not drafting behind, but to the side in a pack.

I have a video of it happening to me at Daytona, just trying to get it converted with good enough quality to post here.

Ah, I thought you were on about drifting & draughting :lol: I guess when your car is punching a hole in the air, the air is pushed outwards away from the car at all angles, not just over the top, so there would be less air either side giving the same effect as getting a tow from behind a car

Watching NASCAR race the super speedways, I see cars run up next to one another trying to pick up the side draft. But, I know nothing about the physics/aero properties at work in this scenario. Questions that come to mind:

- do you enter someone's side draft best from a rearward position or from easing into it running side by side and just closing the gap between cars?

- does side drafting cause the drafted car (the one pushing air at the start) to get loose?

Let me clear things up.
Side drafting is not to be done door to door, it only works when the guy next to you has over 1/3 of his car in front of you.
There are many ways to to side draft, you can just draft by, draft by and block him or you can pull a tony stewart and sidedraft hiom then after you go by jump to the other end of the track so he doesnt draft you.
And no, it doesnt make anyone loose unless it's in a turn, then its not side drafting rather trying not to push him off the track.

EDIT:
Here are some of the videos I posted before.
I call this collection the "draft bible"
notice the "side draft and slingshot" moves on this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggkACFOVKXc

what not to do when about to bump someone
http://www.nascar.com/video/cup/2008/04/27/cup.tal.four.nascar/index.html?MostPopular

and finnally a good combination of them all
http://www.nascar.com/video/race_rewind/2008/04/27/cup.tal.rewind.nascar/index.html?MostPopular
one of them doesn't work, so here is one with everything.
http://www.nascar.com/video/cup/2008/02/14/cup.gd2.final.nascar/index.html?MostPopular

Last edited:
ive got am idea, if anyone out there has ever watched bike racing? if so there is always a pack and the one at the front toes the other bikes along in his slipstream/draft and then the bike at the back goes to the front and so on you get the idea.
anyway how about you (anyone on the forum) and a friend go online on daytona do this drafting technique until you and your friend/friends a a way in front then have a mad dash to the line.
me and a few of my mates from school do it on daytona and its great because of the exitement of coming first by way under a second.
its great we should all try it sometime.

Right now I'm tuning a car to have as the GTP daytona car like someone already said in this thread. Right now I believe the 512bb might be it, but please prove me wrong.

Nope, too twitchy.

Last edited:
Back