The Draft and Bump Drafting?

Look,

You can controll a exceesive entry speed, Its all in your line and how you use the brakes.. Point the nose of the car into the turn and brake slow. If you don't and you do have too much speed, then you will hit the wall.

So, please anyone that drafts with me, give me that extra speed, because you can use it to attack the corner and gain lot of time.

You are welcome everyone. I only want to improve the quality of racing out there. It makes me happy that people are having more fun with this method.

Thanks

You're treating the technique like it's your own baby and that it's the perfect way to race - just remember that some people aren't that fussed about using it.

I've never driven a race where I've thought "you know, what I really could have done with is some bump drafting". Much as I don't see it as "cheating" like some people seem to, I also don't feel it's that necessary. I know the technique is used in NASCAR and in karting, but I haven't seen it in very many other motorsports so I don't feel the need to use it myself. I'd rather catch up on the corners where the real skill is...

I really don't know! :dunce:

Chad,
What I meant was: This is a great post! 👍

The other thread was about something else and it got off topic on bump drafting. I'm glad this one bounced to the top again seeing you started it back in April. It has great info.

I think this is the problem with bump drafting - nobody quite knows when you're going to do it unless you've planned in advance. It's fair enough if there's a grid full of GTPers because we all know about this thread and if a tagged driver helps you along the straight you know what's going on.

But if you do it to a random, half the time they'll give you a whack or brake test you.

And if someone's behind you, chances are their "bump" will come right at the end of the straight when you'd normally want to be losing speed and not gaining it...

For the record, I'd prefer that people didn't bump draft me.

I like being bump drafted when done right, but I respect it when others don't want it. If someone wants to be bumped, they don't have to do anything, just let the car behind slide up to them. If they don't want it they should shift lanes to break the draft, or light brake tap (but not brake checking!) to let they guy behind know.

Yes, it should NEVER be done approching a corner. And when done, it's like two train cars linking up together, with a slight tap.

I've never driven a race where I've thought "you know, what I really could have done with is some bump drafting".

I have several times, when you get punted, say at Daytona, and you're left far behind hung out to dry by yourself; there's no catching back up to the pack to race someone.

Last edited:
well im having the most amount of fun with this bump drafting, me and Duke_of_Pendle have been going at it hammer and tongues, but i have been doing it randomly to unknows, on the whole they dont seem to mind, hell im getting psm, thanking me etc, even having them bump me over the finish line, never knew Daytona could be this much fun

You're treating the technique like it's your own baby and that it's the perfect way to race - just remember that some people aren't that fussed about using it.

I've never driven a race where I've thought "you know, what I really could have done with is some bump drafting". Much as I don't see it as "cheating" like some people seem to, I also don't feel it's that necessary. I know the technique is used in NASCAR and in karting, but I haven't seen it in very many other motorsports so I don't feel the need to use it myself. I'd rather catch up on the corners where the real skill is...

Ah, alrighty there friend. If you say so. I guess I am being fake? right? Not sure how you are reading into my post, but I do actually enjoy enterducing something that people think is fun to use.

There is a huge difference in opinion here, so I will agree to disagree with you. I am not interested in geting into a discusion about this. Dont use it, fine! What do I care. But the ones that do use it, great! I love that you are having fun with it. Its a cool thing to use and its faster with it than without it.

The one thing I will agree with you on here is: Yes it is all about your conering speed. But bump drafting on the straight and in the corners is proven to be much faster than just using someones slip stream to pass.

;)

No worries, I'm not after an arguement, I think I just misunderstood, you appeared to be taking exception to the fact I didn't like the idea of bump drafting 👍

I have several times, when you get punted, say at Daytona, andyou're left far behind hung out to dry by yourself; there's no catching back up to the pack to race someone.

See it also depends on where you are - I never, ever race at Daytona oval, I have no interest in oval racing at all so bump drafting doesn't really have much point in my world.

No worries, I'm not after an arguement, I think I just misunderstood, you appeared to be taking exception to the fact I didn't like the idea of bump drafting 👍

Maybe just try it once with me? I can stick my PAL disc in and we can have a race at Daytona Oval.

The offer still stands..Its a whole a lot fun racing so close!

I appreciate the offer but the oval doesn't interest me. For me, I've always played GT for the cornering, the accelerating, the braking and the variety. Much as I'm sure bump drafting is great and works, the prospect of just doing circuits of an oval doesn't appeal to me.

I know from the few races I have done that oval racing is close, but it just doesn't excite me like a good circuit race. I'd rather come fourth at Suzuka than first at Daytona Oval, because irrespective of drafting I'll have enjoyed the driving itself a lot more 👍

So no offense, I can see the merits of bump drafting but I'll stick to my own way of racing 👍

I appreciate the offer but the oval doesn't interest me. For me, I've always played GT for the cornering, the accelerating, the braking and the variety. Much as I'm sure bump drafting is great and works, the prospect of just doing circuits of an oval doesn't appeal to me.

I know from the few races I have done that oval racing is close, but it just doesn't excite me like a good circuit race. I'd rather come fourth at Suzuka than first at Daytona Oval, because irrespective of drafting I'll have enjoyed the driving itself a lot more 👍

So no offense, I can see the merits of bump drafting but I'll stick to my own way of racing 👍

I respect this. 👍 Maybe there is some other time we can race on a more challenging track. Later 💡

I would love for Juan Pablo Montoya to chime in on this discussion seeing how he gave up years of F3, sports cars, CART and F1 to go to go round in circles :scared:. I'm sure he would say "I just wanna go racing!!" although the millions he's making don't hurt either. I am in the same boat as you on this oval stuff but some people seem to be lovin' it on GT5P. I may just give it a try....

I use this as a rule of thumb, before the line all is fine, after the line, not the time.:)

If you are in a race with me and I'm coming up behind you and you DON'T want a bump, move over, not alot, and I will understand and pass with the use of the draft.👍

Last edited:
Back