The Earth is Flat?

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 1,439 comments
I doubt it was sarcastic. But then, the definition Dontini shared of post modernism is so broad you could shoe horn an aircraft carrier into it with a toothpick.

Do you mean this? Or was this meant sarcastic? :P
Postmodernism, like the anthropic principle, is apparently the way things really are, here and today. We are alive, conscious and sapient, and free to do and choose what we want, with free will. The world is our oyster. What could be better than that?

The anthropic principle is a philosophical consideration that observations of the Universe must be compatible with the conscious and sapient life that observes it. Some proponents of the anthropic principle reason that it explains why this universe has the age and the fundamental physical constants necessary to accommodate conscious life. As a result, they believe it is unremarkable that this universe has fundamental constants that happen to fall within the narrow range thought to be compatible with life.[1][2] The strong anthropic principle (SAP) as explained by John D. Barrow and Frank Tipler states that this is all the case because the universe is in some sense compelled to eventually have conscious and sapient life emerge within it. Some critics of the SAP argue in favor of a weak anthropic principle (WAP) similar to the one defined by Brandon Carter, which states that the universe's ostensible fine tuning is the result of selection bias (specifically survivor bias): i.e., only in a universe capable of eventually supporting life will there be living beings capable of observing and reflecting on the matter. Most often such arguments draw upon some notion of the multiversefor there to be a statistical population of universes to select from and from which selection bias (our observance of only this universe, compatible with our life) could occur.

"The connected world provides many examples of of "impossible" futures that create a dissonance between existing cultures or belief systems...and the sudden emergence of new facts."

Postmodernism, like the anthropic principle, is apparently the way things really are, here and today. We are alive, conscious and sapient, and free to do and choose what we want, with free will. The world is our oyster. What could be better than that?

"The connected world provides many examples of of "impossible" futures that create a dissonance between existing cultures or belief systems...and the sudden emergence of new facts."

And don't always see post-modernism as something good, on the contrary. Then again I'll first check your provided information properly before I'm arguing against a strawman :P

And don't always see post-modernism as something good, on the contrary. Then again I'll first check your provided information properly before I'm arguing against a strawman :P
We are free and liberated in our postmodernity and human-centered universe. But have we made the best use of our freedom? Maybe sometimes too much freedom leads to bad things. I'd like to hear your argument for more authority and uniformity in a more rigidly objective world.

We are free and liberated in our postmodernity and human-centered universe. But have we made the best use of our freedom? Maybe sometimes too much freedom leads to bad things. I'd like to hear your argument for more authority and uniformity in a more rigidly objective world.

No no it's not that I want the world to be authoritarian. I'm in favour of freedom, I'm just not in favour of making facts into something subjective something I kind of saw happening in the social studies at my college.
Where everyones reality was considered equal and every truth was considered equal because I can't feel what the other person feels and therefor I can't say it's not true. Because that is just plain ******** :P

Don't see how that would be authoritarian :P

It's square since 2009:
PV10ZZw.jpg
I caught up with the cubists' website recently. They have members from all corners of the world.

http://timecube.2enp.com

FE nutjob: "CGI."

Wrong. The actual argument is that the GoPro has a fish eye lens. Notice that it adds a curvature when it's even on the ground. Which it honestly does.

You can see the curvature change as the camera dips and raises and the horizon moves toward the center of the frame. At the end, as it's descending (falling, actually) there are a couple of instances where the horizon is below the frame center, and sure enough, the horizon curves upward at the edges, not downward.

Not /thread. :D

In other news, my brother posted an image on FB recently that had some obvious barrel distortion, and he jokes that he wasn't sure if it was barrel distortion or Earth's curvature. I told him to load Photoshop's lens correction, and it it flattened out, then we know that Adobe is flat-Earth. :lol:

Ken
Wrong. The actual argument is that the GoPro has a fish eye lens. Notice that it adds a curvature when it's even on the ground. Which it honestly does.
I'll take the apparent implication that I'm not attuned to the FE mindset as a compliment.

:P

We where talking about this at work yesterday, me and a mate was saying to another work mate (just to piss him off) that the earth is flat. We where saying that if the earth was round our blood would rush to our head and planes can't fly up side down. (being in Australia) He was getting so angry, it was so funny.

It's amazing how flat-earthers think gravity comes from under the Earth, so if Earth is a ball things have to fall off. Since they can't explain it, not they're saying gravity doesn't actually exist. But as for things falling off, what about that edge thing Oh, yeah. Ice walls. Sorry.

Anyway, here:

28590681248_b0650ac3dc_o.jpg

I'm going to say it again. I'm fairly certain that, apart from a couple of true nutters and complete idiots (with a serious shortage of IQ points), most of them are just trolling for the trolls.

Back