The effect Gran Turismo has had on your life

i know this sounds kinda wierd but how has gran turismo 2 changed your life or affected u in someway...

i kinda feel like a loser for saying this but gran turismo has changed my life. i used to not like cars.. and then when i bought and played gran turismo i suddenly found the joy of cars... now i want to do something when i grow up that has to do with cars... who says a videogame cant change ur life...

Heh, thats the same thing that happened to me. :D Before GT2, I knew nothing about cars. But after playing for about 3 years, I know a lot more.

very true. taught me that u actually need to BRAKE into corners and how downshifting really works to your advantage. taught me racing lines, didnt even need to go to performance racing school.

It's so addicting I had to give up my pipe.

No seriously, it's a very addicting game if you're into cars and I've been a car lover my whole life.

1. I can now look at almost any Japanese sports car or coupe and know approximately what year it is and what model and how much power it's got.

2. I'm seriously thinking of going to a tech school and becoming a mechanic.

3. I'm making a website. whoever thought I'D make a website, and dedicated to a videogame, nonetheless.

4. Anytime my social life is lacking, Gran Turismo 2 comes to the rescue! Not to mention Tomb Raider, Resident Evil: Director's Cut, and CSI (that's a TV show, not a game).

Last edited:
same here. i dropped the bombshell to my parents that i was thinking about doing trade school when im a sophmore to be a mechanic or something... they werent too happy... they want me to be an educated person making lots of money. i want to do something i love... i like cars and im good at fixing things... so why not fix cars...

pain killer
same here. i dropped the bombshell to my parents that i was thinking about doing trade school when im a sophmore to be a mechanic or something... they werent too happy... they want me to be an educated person making lots of money. i want to do something i love... i like cars and im good at fixing things... so why not fix cars...

Do it, pain Killer! Who says mechanics can't make money??, especially if they specialize on a certain type of car. i only wish i had taken mechanic's classes back in high school when it was offered for free...

pain killer
i know this sounds kinda wierd but how has gran turismo 2 changed your life or affected u in someway...

i kinda feel like a loser for saying this but gran turismo has changed my life. i used to not like cars.. and then when i bought and played gran turismo i suddenly found the joy of cars... now i want to do something when i grow up that has to do with cars... who says a videogame cant change ur life...

The effect...
A. Like some others, I know a lot more about cars :D.
B. My grades have dropped.
C. I wake up later than normal.
D. I am a potential menace on the road.
E. Did I mention the cars?

GT grows on you. At least with me, it took a while to start turning early to make a good apex. Thus, earlier braking. Most newbs brake too little, too late. :)

yea i still do it tho... i cant drive a fwd,ff,mr, car really good but i still cant drive a fr car... i spin out too much... my grades are dropping only in gym.... as i had health last 9 weeks and it was bbbbboooooorrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnngggg

For me It was kind of opposite from the way you guys had it. Playing sonic the heghog on my Genesis when I was about 6 i had the darndest time. (massive understatement) after a few broken controllers I decided to put up vidio games for good. fast forward 8 years or so, (i dont know) and I'm heavily into cars. with subscriptions to car mags and all. My parents had a playstation and one day my dad came home with GT2 on rental. I imidiately fell in love with it but alas it had to go back. In my search for "that game" I came across GT1 and now I own 1, 2, and 3. And plan to buy 4 the day it comes out. I played GT because I liked cars and it got me into vidio games. To prove the point I now own about six game systems. I got my PS2 for GT3. Literaly just for that game. If not for GT3 I wouldn't own a PS2.

Gran Turismo in itself has changed my life, all of the versions so far.

Before GT I had nothing. No real friends, no one to count on. Now I have so many online friends and I've had so many good times on IM and on GTP. Years ago GTPlanet had so many good members and most of them hardly post anymore - those were the days.

GT is responsible for my life.

If you guys wana do mechanic i thnk its worthwhile. I am doing apprenticeship, and im only 16. I was the youngest in my class =). But its like a hobby to me, i go once in a while if i have time, and i study to go into university for engineering. Its a very tough life to say, if you are not working assembly lines. You get tired, you come home dirty, you instantly hit the bed, or GT if your still awake, and thats basicly the daily routine. Its very hard when the demand is high, for example you are fixing a car within 4 hours for timing belt, but a bolt breaks, then gota drill and fix the bolt as well as change timing belt, still within 4 hours. If there are complaints that your working over the time limit, it just strains you out even more. But there are some good times, when it dies down for a couple weeks when noone is maintenancing you just chill around and fix the managers project car for fun. Its definately a good job.

It's kind of changed my life too. I wasn't interested in cars and didn't know much about them before I played GT1. Now it seems like I know just about every car that exists and I can identify most every car I see. I think the games can help you be a better driver in real life too. GT3 isn't too much different than real life. It's as close as you can get to real life (except when GT4 comes out of course).

GT helped change me from a race fan to a "participant," I suppose. It started me yearning to race cars for real, and led me to start autocrossing with local clubs.
GT 1 came out about a year after I started getting into European and Australian touring car racing. I've always been a fan of road racing in general, so I was hooked immediately.

It finally made me realize that I want to learn more about cars - and helped me make the decision to pursue the career of a mechanic. ^^

Stinky Chicken
Gran Turismo in itself has changed my life, all of the versions so far.

Before GT I had nothing. No real friends, no one to count on. Now I have so many online friends and I've had so many good times on IM and on GTP. Years ago GTPlanet had so many good members and most of them hardly post anymore - those were the days.

GT is responsible for my life.

Man, this is depressing! Hope you get more friends in real-life as you get older.

When I was a teen before I got into high school I had this one kid who I didn't like much but he was the only one on my block who was into R/C cars, legos, and just cars in general. Back then there was no internet, of course. No Playstation either! I had an Atari 2600 and Activision came out with a very primitive racing game that was supposed to be an enduro. It simulated the sun going down and coming back up every 10 minutes or so.

Last edited:
yea... well my parents think im crazy that i want to become a mechanic or a race car dirver because of a game that ive had for less than a year...

The only thing it's changed is my driving style when nobody's looking... I have a tendency to go on the wrong side of the road and carve the apex in a turn when there's nobody in sight. ;)

Other than that, I love cars, always have, always will, hasn't really changed anything about me.

GT2 gave me two things: A huge interest in cars, and something on the PSOne to whoop all my friends at. ll my friends in High School were gamers, and they could all beat me at everything. Then I got GT2, and found my niche. Sounds silly, but it sucks to be slaughtered at everything every time, and slaughtering all my fighting gamer friends at GT2 gave me a little confidence boost at other things.

Yeah, I'm going in for a mechanics course once I get the cash for tuition and text books. Burger King is no way to make money.

pain killer
i was thinking about doing trade school when im a sophmore to be a mechanic or something... they werent too happy... they want me to be an educated person making lots of money.

Who says mechanics can't be educated or make lots of money? Have you considered getting into the research & development or marketing end of things? You could get into some engineering, business, art, whatever interests you. There's not much training that can't be brought back to a job in the auto industry...

And for my 2-cents on the topic, GT has really changed the way I think about driving. When GT1 came out, I was happy just using my old beater to get from Point A to Point B. By the time GT2 came out, I was trying to drive my beater (1981 Olds Toronado - it ain't pretty) like I drove in the GT's, but it just wasn't cutting it. I used GT2 and various car mags to find a good-looking, sporty car to buy once I finished university, and I got my S14 just as GT3 came out. Pics & info are at the link in my sig. Now I'll go driving for no reason at all, just for my own enjoyment. I live in a small town with lots of quiet, twisty roads nearby, and I'd never drive them if it wasn't for GT. 👍

TruenoEightSix
GT2 gave me two things: A huge interest in cars, and something on the PSOne to whoop all my friends at. ll my friends in High School were gamers, and they could all beat me at everything. Then I got GT2, and found my niche. Sounds silly, but it sucks to be slaughtered at everything every time, and slaughtering all my fighting gamer friends at GT2 gave me a little confidence boost at other things.

Yeah, I'm going in for a mechanics course once I get the cash for tuition and text books. Burger King is no way to make money.

It's so funny about the ‘niche’*comment. Last summer me & my former housemate who I'll call ‘Dave’ (since that's his name) invited this other guy named Ramsey to race with us. The other guy's a casual gamer, but it's mostly slash & bash type games. Anyways, Dave raced Ramsey and totally crushed. After several tries, Ramsey couldn't get a hang of the analog controllers. After losing several races, Ramsey put his controller down and walked out the room without a word!

Yeah, the Gran Turismo series totally got me interested in cars. I was 13 when I first started playing & I knew very little about cars. Now I'm a real driving enthusiast & I'm hoping someday to go to college & become an industrial designer for some car company, all thanks to Gran Turismo.

Having always worked on cars (before the GT games), thought I knew quite abit.
Playing the game, never realized you could add so much to a car to make it handle better, faster, etc.
Even the cost of the parts seemed unreal but then gettin a sports compact car myself, realized those costs were close, especially when getting name brand, good parts. :indiff:
Driving aspects have changed my driving to some degree as well.
Learning on the game with the brake, accelerator have given new meaning to the word-brake-steering that I often use it when not hitting a proper line around castiglia interchanges or loops on interstates. :sly:
Lastly, where else can you drive what you love in the exotic cars?
That alone is enough to change your mind on Imports and how good they can be.
Misnblu
Good post btw. 👍

i remember when i first played GT2... i was very fascinated of how it turned out... more cars, wheels shop,.. well.. the car wash was always there. but the next thing was absolutely wicked... Drifting.... it just totally gave a new thing to thrive on learning on and off the game...

I always did enjoy driving, even in 'bad' weather conditions but the GT series heighted my sense and love of driving. Where else do you get to drive some of the more exotic cars without having to pay for it. When I first started playing GT I didn't even know that the TVR company existed, then I found the Cerberra LM and now my dream is to 1 day own a TVR. That's how GT changed my life.

Apart from the hours and hours that I have spent playing on it. I first got a second hand PS about 7 years ago and GT shortly after that, a friend had already introduced me to the game but that was just a taster. I remember getting frustrated because I couldn't beat the AI cars at certain races, well that doesn't happen anymore so I must have improved. I am still playing GT and eagly waiting for GT4 to arrive on our shores.

Back