The effect Gran Turismo has had on your life

I know about any import car and how much hp its got.. drivtrain weight etc :P
It has made me like cars, and make me want to be a mechanic

The game has opened up the world to cars other than the ones we're all used to seeing on a daily basis.
This is one of the biggest things that to me, has had the most effect in how I see cars.

it's a very addicting game if you're into cars and i've been a car lover my whole life.

1. I can now look at almost any Japanese sports car or coupe and know approximately what year it is and what model and how much power it's got.

2. I'm seriously thinking of going to a tech school and becoming a mechanic.

3. I'm making a website. whoever thought I'D make a website, and dedicated to a videogame, nonetheless.

4. Anytime my social life is lacking, Gran Turismo 2 comes to the rescue! Not to mention Tomb Raider, Resident Evil: Director's Cut, and CSI (that's a TV show, not a game).

To update this. I'm now a mid-level mechanic. I don't know everything, but i learn something new everyday. I've been doing maintenance on my own cars since i was 16. I am SURE if i never played Gran Turismo it never would have occured to me i could do this as a living (and make more money). :) So cheeers :cheers::):):):):):cheers::);):ill::crazy::eek:

Image005.jpeg[

Last edited:
The Good:
-I think the GT series on general is the one that got me addicted to video games. I'd stay up as long as I was allowed to (I was 5 at the time I got GT1) trying as hard as I could to beat the license tests.

-Then I remember getting GT2 for my birthday; Looking at the back of the case (where it lists all the manufacturers in the game) and asking my dad what a "Pew-got" was. :lol:

-Now, 10 years after GT2, I'm almost 16 and know a lot more about tuning a car than I would know otherwise. I'm also more knowledgeable about cars in general, which is a good thing, because I (like many others around this thread) want to go into a mechanic-type field once I graduate.

The Bad:
-I think the GT series on general is the one that got me addicted to video games. Therefore, my social life leaves a bit to be desired. Oh well... :indiff:

Last edited:
Very bluntly; It got me into Video Games and into Racing cars the Right way.
Oh and it also eventually lead to me being here writing this right now.

Got me into cars and racing games in general when I was 6 or 7, and gave me something to do during these long summer days/nights. Though I've been on and off with Gran Turismo since then, I just picked it up for the first time in two years last week, and my new GT4 game probably saved me from crippling depression.:scared:

It didn't really get me into video games(I was into them way before the PS1). It also didn't get me into cars(I also liked them way before GT). However it did bring the two together. Now all I really play is racing games.

GT made me discover my talent: driving. If I had never picked up this game I'd probably lead a very empty life now. I'm bad at sports, music, arts, etc, but if there's one thing that I can do really well, it's driving.

On the downside, I become a very impatient person because I'm always thinking how to do things quickly and faster. Like when meeting someone, and they're late by only 2 minutes, I'll say things like "Why are you so late? I could've done 2 laps while waiting for you!" Most of the time I'm just joking though lol.

Oh, one more thing. Because of GT, I now walk and drive (real car, even on the streets :scared:) in a racing line. Always :banghead:.

Oh, one more thing. Because of GT, I now walk and drive (real car, even on the streets :scared:) in a racing line. Always :banghead:.

Does this mean you go out-in-out any time there's a corner, even if it means swaying into oncoming traffic? :lol:

Does this mean you go out-in-out any time there's a corner, even if it means swaying into oncoming traffic? :lol:

Well, if I can see that there's oncoming traffic, I would not switch lanes. It's just common instinct (I don't want to have a massive crash after all). But if it's a quiet, empty road that I have travelled on many times (like roads around my neighbourhood), I subconsciously drive in a racing line.

When I was five, my older brother traded in Yoshi's Story for the N64 for Gran Turismo. I was mad for two reasons. One) I liked Yoshi's Story and Two) GT was the hardest game I had ever played. Being so small, I obviously got frustrated pretty easily - I remember spinning out a ton, completely ignoring the brake. However, it introduced me to cars I never knew existed, and at the time it was the foundation for everything I knew about racing. I had played Daytona USA and Ridge Racer on my brother's Saturn and PlayStation before, but they were arcade racers. Really, really good arcade racers, but still arcade racers. In 1998, GT1 was the most realistic racing experience you could get on a console. It was responsible for getting me interested in actual racing. I still go back and play the first two games regularly, especially GT2, one of my favorite games ever. Not only do they stand the test of time, but (and I don't mean to be overdramatic) those games are attached to my childhood and current love of racing. So yeah, I'd say Gran Turismo affected me :)

Personally, I don't know too much on how to fix a car locate certain parts of the engine but when driving along a highway i can name almost any car that i see. Gran Turismo started my passion for cars and then the Top Gear TV show came along and acted like a Catalyst, only increasing my passion.

Personally, I don't know too much on how to fix a car locate certain parts of the engine but when driving along a highway i can name almost any car that i see. Gran Turismo started my passion for cars and then the Top Gear TV show came along and acted like a Catalyst, only increasing my passion.

Very true. 6 or 7 years ago (Pre-GT for me), I could name perhaps 20% of the cars I saw by sight. Now alot of times, not only can I name them by sight (100%) but I can name them by sound. Sometimes, I can tell which car it is just by listening to its starter motor!

^That's amazing. I can tell only a few cars by their sound if it's really distinctive (like an RX7's rotary or Impreza's boxer), but for most I can't.

Some very amazing stories here on how a racing sim game has changed the lives of how we see our cars.
Simply amazing. :)

My dad played GT2 when i was little it has changed my life alot
i have so many great memories:) and today i have a G25 and I CANT FREAKIN WAIT FOR GT5!!!! and im so glad i found out how to play PS1 games on PSP!

Im playing in GT2 around 9 or 10 years. It teaches me how to drive fast and keeping car on the road, not on a wall. Of course, its not a real simulation game, but better than arcade type games like NFS series.

Well, I've met LOTS of great people with the live LAN racing I've been doing over on the west coast, that in itself is really something to be said about a video game. I wish I could meet everyone I've raced with in the WRS over the years, but hopefully we'll get closer with the private rooms and all that 👍

I've gotten to be a more refined, clean driver because of the WRS, which makes driving go-karts a lot more fun too. I have wondered how many hours I've spent playing Gran Turismo over the years (started on the US launch date) and when the WRS was in its hay-day for GT4, it was a part time job for me; I would spend 15 to 20 hours or more every week playing the WRS, race series' unlocking more cars, etc. I've always had a passion for cars and that has only increased over the years, now if only I can get used to a wheel like I am on a controller, I'd be all set :D

Jerome

I absolutely cannot underestimate how much of an effect GT2 had on me as 10 year old boy - it pretty much turned me completly on into the world of cars, and gave me a wider respect and love for cars in general. My knowledge of them became much more indepth - so much so that, as an 11-year-old, I completly befuddled an experianced garage owner with my knowledge of the workings of transmissions and flywheels!

GT2 was the one that started it for me, and I've never looked back. And of course...we're not taking into account the fact that GT has led me onto these great forums, and now I'm talking and sharing my GT experiances with you all! :)

GT2 started my passion for autos. My dad had a PS1 and some games, and one of those games was GT2, both discs. It was mostly done, and I didn't get much more of it complete (I was young), but I was good anyway. But then later, I corrupted the data (full memory card). Hopefully, now when I tell my dad that I corrupted his GT2 data years ago, he won't yell at me. Hey I think that PS1 and GT2 might be in one of my summer homes...

Update: Oops I double posted. Something less boring: GT2 isn't in one of my summer homes, it's in the cupboard. I'll go try to buy a PS1 memory card and play some GT2 if I have time.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo-I first played it when I was 9, 5 years ago. When I first played it, I was playing GT4 and couldn't do the Suzuka One Lap License Test.
That game prompted me to buy GT1, GT2, GT3, and GT5 Prologue just so I could keep up with "Th e Real Driving Simulator"
And if you try to argue that Forza, NFS, Burnout, or any other racing game is better, you're in for a long day.
I also have a hand drawn picture of the Start/Finish line of GT4's Citta di Aria, a plexiglas GT list of all the released games (and GT5, hello NOVEMBER 2)
It has taken over my life.
And I love my little MR2 1600 in GT2 that I'm playing right now :D
I also visit this site like 10 times a day.

I first got GT1 in 2000 after my friends told me about it. When I first watched the intro video, I was amazed...I had never seen a game like this before. I never played any racing game that was as real as that was back then. To make a long story short, it changed my life.

That's awesome GT_Prologue5!

And now that I'm seeing GT5 footage of damage, Topgear, Lambos, Maseratis, Teslas, NASCAR, WRC, Day/Night cycle, and a collectors edition.
And a release date! I'm so addicted to this stuff.
And it is awesome. I'm a true GT addict, and they can't stop me.

GT2 taught me a lesson about driving long distance. If you're tired in an endurance race, pause the game and take nap.

Much like on a long highway, stop the car and grab a quick 10 minute nap.

Ah, the practical applications are infinite.

Back