The effect Gran Turismo has had on your life

TMM
I always did enjoy driving, even in 'bad' weather conditions but the GT series heighted my sense and love of driving. Where else do you get to drive some of the more exotic cars without having to pay for it. When I first started playing GT I didn't even know that the TVR company existed, then I found the Cerberra LM and now my dream is to 1 day own a TVR. That's how GT changed my life.

Apart from the hours and hours that I have spent playing on it. I first got a second hand PS about 7 years ago and GT shortly after that, a friend had already introduced me to the game but that was just a taster. I remember getting frustrated because I couldn't beat the AI cars at certain races, well that doesn't happen anymore so I must have improved. I am still playing GT and eagly waiting for GT4 to arrive on our shores.

Yeah, gotta love the Cerbera.

I remember. My fisrt game for Playstation was GT 1. I Knew Gt by my cousin.
When i went to the store, isaw the game and i thougut: that's the game i will buy.
Since then, i didn't like other driving games. I learned a lot of cars and also how to practise a better driving.

ViperCLK-GTR
I know this is weird but while I'm walking I will make car sounds.

Ha ha, I've been doing this since I was old enough to walk!

I just got a temporary job thru an agency stocking shelves for NAPA Auto parts. What a coincidence, eh? If I were a thief, I'd be totally fixing up my real-life car. Anyways, all day I walk and walk around this giant warehouse putting parts on shelves, and all I can think of 90% of the time is Gran Turismo. I walk around a corner and I imagine I'm in a Skyline...flying around Laguna Seca with other cars struggling thru the corkscrew. Or a Viper, rear tires slipping ever so slightly outside the friction circle while the front ones countersteer for balance. I wonder if anyone sees me and thinks I'm walking funny sometimes!....

Last edited:
I think GT certainly has given more lots of knowledge about the more obscure cars out there, particularly from Japan. America has GT and F&F to thank for Mitsubishi finally importing the Evo over there. Its been in the UK for a while, but you really notice them now. Before GT i barely new what a nissan skyline was, now I know more about them than I do Shakespeare. I have only GT to thank for reminding me that the Nissan Pao, like the Nissan Figaro, are questionable Micras. (The figaro is really popular around where I live (not Uni address) - :crazy: :crazy: )

As for everyone following the mechanics' dream... well, I am doing it slightly differently. Currently studying Motorsports Engineering at university, and should be able to get a placement with a Formula 1 team in 2 years, hopefully leading onto a proper job after that. :D Fingers crossed.

pain killer
i know this sounds kinda wierd but how has gran turismo 2 changed your life or affected u in someway...

i kinda feel like a loser for saying this but gran turismo has changed my life. i used to not like cars.. and then when i bought and played gran turismo i suddenly found the joy of cars... now i want to do something when i grow up that has to do with cars... who says a videogame cant change ur life...

I have always loved cars, and one day i decided to walk into dixons and buy a game. I had around 40 quid, and was going to buy :lol: vrally 2 :lol:, when the guy said this was much better, so i though, hey, i'll try it, and i've been hooked ever since!
Gt2 was the first game i ever really got addicted to, and probably still is the game i have played the most hours on, and that includes gt3, gta vice city, gta san andreas!

It hasn't changed my life as such, but it was the first racing game i really enjoyed (well, the game before it in my collection was le mans 24 hours!)
I'll sum it up.
Gt2 was, when launched, the best around, and personally, i think it still is.:)

RenesisEvo
I think GT certainly has given more lots of knowledge about the more obscure cars out there, particularly from Japan. America has GT and F&F to thank for Mitsubishi finally importing the Evo over there. Its been in the UK for a while, but you really notice them now. Before GT i barely new what a nissan skyline was, now I know more about them than I do Shakespeare. I have only GT to thank for reminding me that the Nissan Pao, like the Nissan Figaro, are questionable Micras. (The figaro is really popular around where I live (not Uni address) - :crazy: :crazy: )

As for everyone following the mechanics' dream... well, I am doing it slightly differently. Currently studying Motorsports Engineering at university, and should be able to get a placement with a Formula 1 team in 2 years, hopefully leading onto a proper job after that. :D Fingers crossed.

Cool, lets us know which team you get a job with, maybe you can get us some cheap merchandize.

ViperCLK-GTR
I know this is weird but while I'm walking I will make car sounds.

Like skidding tires when you go round a corner or the full vrooom vrooom as you walk the streets?

I make the sounds going round the super market with my wife, my 10 month old daughter, the excuse in case I get funny looks, in the pram loves it. Especially when the back end slides out and I countersteer to correct it. Mind you, when she was first born and my wife used to go out shopping on her own, I used to put her in her chair and she'd watch me race GVS or All-Night II so she is growing up watching her Dad playing the GT series.

TMM
Like skidding tires when you go round a corner or the full vrooom vrooom as you walk the streets?

I make the sounds going round the super market with my wife, my 10 month old daughter, the excuse in case I get funny looks, in the pram loves it. Especially when the back end slides out and I countersteer to correct it. Mind you, when she was first born and my wife used to go out shopping on her own, I used to put her in her chair and she'd watch me race GVS or All-Night II so she is growing up watching her Dad playing the GT series.

LoL. Lucky kid!

Parnelli Bone
LoL. Lucky kid!

I like to think so. I keep promising her that I'll teach her my driving tricks when she's old enough, both virtual and reallity!!!!

Does reallity have a double l?

TMM
I like to think so. I keep promising her that I'll teach her my driving tricks when she's old enough, both virtual and reallity!!!!

Does reallity have a double l?

Videogames will probly keep her out of trouble when she gets older: I remember I was so eager to drive that when i turned 13 I used to sneak neighborhood drives in my parent's Peugeot 504 sedan whenever they went on vacation (which was at least twice every summer). I don't know about England, but in America we're not allowed to drive till 16. Back in those days us kids had no Gran Turismo, the best racing sim we could play was Activision Enduro on the Atari 2600!

Reality: one L, many facets.

Last edited:
I have to credit GT2 for the cause of meeting my best friend. The first time we ever said a word to each other was about GT2 back in the sixth grade. The first time I went over his house we showed off our garage to each other. LOL. Even though it is a game in the past, we are still best friends now sophmores.

GT gave me a similar effect to pain killer.

1. I got an E in my P.E GCSE
2. I learn't about how car settings affect the performance of a car and after studying car physics in my own time it helped me to just get down and study for school subjects. I'm now predicted 4 Cs and 3 Ds in my GCSEs whereas before i bought GT i was predicted Ds and Es and even some U!!!
3. i learnt about the importance of being smooth with the car and leaarnt about the slipstream, the 'out-in-out' technique and the 'slow in fast out' technique.
4. And finally GT has also developed my general passion for cars.

Thanks GT!!!

Parnelli Bone
Videogames will probly keep her out of trouble when she gets older: I remember i was so eager to drive that when i turned 13 i used to sneak neighborhood drives in my parent's Peugeot 504 sedan whenever they went on vacation (which was at least twice every summer). I don't know about England, but in America we're not allowed to drive till 16. Back in those days us kids had no Gran Turismo, the best racing sim we could play was Activision Enduro on the Atari 2600!

Reality: one L, many facets.

In the UK you have to be 17, not that anybody sticks to it these days... I certainly hope that video games keep her out of trouble.

perfectcircle77
I have to credit GT2 for the cause of meeting my best friend. The first time we ever said a word to each other was about GT2 back in the sixth grade. The first time I went over his house we showed off our garage to each other. LOL. Even though it is a game in the past, we are still best friends now sophmores.

...brings a tear to the eye, doesn't it?

Gran turismo is the reason I like drifting. Getting sideways in GT1 in my '90 NSX was the first time I ever learned to drive sideways. It's the only way that car'll turn in. Then drift physics in arcade mode 👍 I never knew it was called drifting back then though. Hell.......I was 11!!

I always had the loose is fast idea.....but drifting the NSX in GT made me realize drifting (driving sidways as I alwasy called it) is loads of fun. I've been hooked ever since. And yes, drifting has definately ruled my life the past 3 years. **Looks out window at 93 240sx f/b**

Huummm let's see...
It taught me that 'rice' isn't any good.
It taught me about what different part do to cars.
Pretty much learned everything about how to set up cars.
I learned about drfiting, slip-stream and racing lines as well from various GT games.
It taught me that horsepower doesn't (always) decide how fast you car will go.
And many many many good memories... =)

Good point rsmithdrift. I didn't even KNOW what drifting was till I read the reference manual in GT1. I never thought I would employ it till one day I was in a Viper at Grand Valley and I accidentally got sideways. On instinct I steered into the slide instead of steering into the turn (countersteer in other words) and later on that replay was beautiful!

One of my faves was this one time I was racing a Honda Accord Wagon into turn 1 of GV east. I braked a bit late and the back swung out...my rear tires were now in the sand but the fronts were still on pavement! I didn't spin...and this time the replay was hilarious.

True story--a bit embarrassing. When I was 12 and getting curious about girls and stuff my parents offered me a subscription to Playboy. I remember sitting there for like half an hour turning red and stuff. My brother got on the roof, took a fishing pole and hung a sign from the line that said “SAY YES!” I wanted to say yes, but the thought of my latest subscription coming thru the mail and having Mom hand it to me? :scared:

Instead I asked for a subscription to Road & Track! :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the bump.
I should make this a stickie but need to see if more responses are coming.
Lots of stickies already. lol

Misnblu

Rogue Ssv
Giot me not only interested in but very knowladgable about cars.
I agree.
It's nice to see and mention a particular car to car guys and they don't know what car you're talking about.
This has happened to me several times when I get together with some of the guys in the car club and have no idea what car I'm talking about.
Most should play the game and see what all of the fuss is about.
I still play the game when I can and love playing it. 👍
Maybe one day I'll have the chance to finish it.
Misnblu

Such as Cizetas and Autobacs and Hispano-Suizas and TommyKairas and Listers and Paganis and Venturis.
Mention any of those to anyone who hasnt played Gran Turismo _ and doesnt remember the one measly column in 'news' in Automobile that the Autobacs RS01 and Gariya got, and I guarantee you'll get a 'what the hell? Is that, like, some kind of pasta or something?

Lol, I hear you on that one.
Yeah, here where I live, it's Hondas, Acuras, and some BMW's that car guys are familiar with.
The 240sx is pretty popular but when you see a Lotus Elise going down the road and you mention that, they just look at you like you were crazy.
It's even more freaky to them when you start rattling off specifications about the car. :dopey:
Gotta love car guys that think they know cars. 👍

Misnblu

Those arent car guys then... theyre posers.
Even some of the idiots (no offense to you idiots) in my school know the Elise and some of its specs. Or actuallly... they only know it looks hot and handles like a gokart. :indiff:
But they know at least of it.

Rogue Ssv
Those arent car guys then... theyre posers.
Even some of the idiots (no offense to you idiots) in my school know the Elise and some of its specs. Or actuallly... they only know it looks hot and handles like a gokart. :indiff:
But they know at least of it.
You must remember that I live in America.
Not everyone is noted to be educated or want to be educated like they should.
Look at the way we adhere to the old miles system instead of kilometers etc.
America is great but needs a real tune up to stay with the rest of the world.
Gran Turismo games have opened up that opportunity to learn about the different tracks, cars, speedways to those that want to learn, and give them the chance to race tracks from around the world.

It's pretty cool when you can watch the Speed Channel and see what road course they're driving on and say to one next to you that you've driven that course and can tell them all about the nuances of the track.
Then you tell them you raced that course on a game and they laugh.
Most have played the game but really never get that involved to learn the different things that come with playing the game.

To me, it's real and following lines, apexes, setting up cars, are all things that in real life (which I do) you really can do, and apply what is in the game to real life.

Gran Turismo has taught me so much that when I'm done playing the game and go to work the next day, feel I'm still playing the game in my real car, and look for new lines on beaten path I travel all the time.
What other game can you say will do that for you?

Nice chatting with you, gotta go home, work out, enjoy my drive, and get ready for tomorrow.
Btw, I still enjoy that drive to and from work. Especially when you've built up the car with your own hands and is 10 time better than when you bought it. Thank you GT. 👍
Misnblu

I live in America too.
Anyway, what Misnblu said. I dont have a car yet but I sometimes find myself absentmindedly sketching curves and the best line through them, or walking in a racing line.
Do you think Im crazy?

Back