The elephant in the room: bad frame rate

• Thread starter Proud_God
  • 142 comments
GTP_ZombieDriver
There are multiple indications that GT6 will have an even worse frame rate than GT5. I for one was turned off from GT5 due to the bad frame rate (GT5P was just on the edge of acceptable, though).
Recall that Kaz apologized when GT5 launched for the game not being able to maintain a steady 60 fps, and rightly so. I will simply not buy GT6 if its frame rate is not better than GT5's.
This topic should be on every GT fan's mind! An inconsistent frame rate makes the game sluggish and not fun to play!

There, I said it.

In my experience, the frame rate is not that different when using 720p instead of 1080p. Presumably because 720p adds extra anti aliasing. I would gladly take a 720p mode with no AA and 60 fps. But I haven't seen that being announced for GT6.

I think that the videos we have seen are not from the final build and I'm sure Kaz and his talented team of developers are probably tweaking the game and fixing the frame drop issue.

I have seen the videos so far for GT6, and I've got to say that frame rate drop is the only thing keeping me from preordering. Other than switching to 720(which hasn't been confirmed as an option) is there anything else we can do to prevent the drop? Would installing the game on an SSHD make an difference or is this solely a PS3 processor issue? I've asked this before in another thread and haven't received a response.

I have seen the videos so far for GT6, and I've got to say that frame rate drop is the only thing keeping me from preordering. Other than switching to 720(which hasn't been confirmed as an option) is there anything else we can do to prevent the drop? Would installing the game on an SSHD make an difference or is this solely a PS3 processor issue? I've asked this before in another thread and haven't received a response.
There is one thing which helped for GT5, but only a bit: reduce screen size in the options menu to the smallest amount (80% I think). But it's only a small boost...

I could care less if a game runs at 50 or 60 fps. To me, it's not a problem until all of sudden there's no second digit in those numbers. Trust me, about 8 years ago my pc wouldn't play NFS in anything above 10! If everyone had had one such pc, you wouldn't complain about losing a handful of frames.

I could care less if a game runs at 50 or 60 fps. To me, it's not a problem until all of sudden there's no second digit in those numbers. Trust me, about 8 years ago my pc wouldn't play NFS in anything above 10! If everyone had had one such pc, you wouldn't complain about losing a handful of frames.

For a game that focuses on physics, it's certainly important to have a stable framerate, though. If PD wanted to lock it at 30, 45, 60, or any other FPS, that'd be another matter. But a framerate that varies wildly, from 60 down to the 20's, can be quite a problem for a racing game.

The final build must now certainly be done, so we'll likely see from the reviews in the coming weeks if the issue has been fixed compared to GT5, or made even worse.

I know what you mean and I play on PC too...low frame rates are an issue like it or not...if the game won´t drop from 50 I can live with that but in the last GT Academy the frame rate dropped way too much in the cockpit view...which to me was unplayable. A low frame rate is no good when you are talking about driving and when you need to feel the cars to gain some time while racing.

Hope to not see the same thing in GT6 for sure since I love to drive in cockpit view. I´m used to have above 60FPS on PC...in Assetto Corsa I play with the game at max and have between 80 and 120FPS, rFactor 2 depends in the circuit...also around 60/110. Old games such as rFactor/GTR2/Race07/nKP around 160/200+.

The more frames you get, the better the response in your wheel as well, don´t forget that...it can change the overall feel of the game.

Gran turismo 5 runs great in my opinion...Never had frame drops, or at least as much as noticeable as in GT Academy. Replays runs at 30FPS in GT5...not sure if people knew that.

Sorry for the stupid question on behalf of others who might not know, but where do you set the 720p?
From the game settings or the PS3 settings?
Thanks

PS3 settings on XMB, where you select what display mode you use (hdmi etc., you also choose resolution; e.g. 1080p)

All this complaining based on a few minutes of blurry off-screen footage?

Watch some direct footage gameplay, then we'll talk.

Not really. The framerate has been a known issue ever since the first playable builds of the game. Then we got GT Academy that was just as bad and the problems continued in all the newer builds until now according to people.

All this complaining based on a few minutes of blurry off-screen footage?

Watch some direct footage gameplay, then we'll talk.

Not necessary. The general consensus seems to be: "GT6's framerate needs to be better than GT5" which I completely agree with. I understand this is a big game for Sony and the PS3, but I would rather have 720p with 60fps. OR 1080p with a locked 45 fps. But the dipping, often at crucial times, is very concerning.

Not really. The framerate has been a known issue ever since the first playable builds of the game. Then we got GT Academy that was just as bad and the problems continued in all the newer builds until now according to people.

My experience with GT Academy was perfectly smooth. Mind you, I was playing on 720p, and I've seen the Digital Foundry video where there are obvious framerate issues on 1080p. But as others have said, if the game runs fine at 720p that's perfectly reasonable.

Not necessary. The general consensus seems to be: "GT6's framerate needs to be better than GT5" which I completely agree with. I understand this is a big game for Sony and the PS3, but I would rather have 720p with 60fps. OR 1080p with a locked 45 fps. But the dipping, often at crucial times, is very concerning.

Don't think anyone would disagree that it needs to be better. All I'm saying is I think it's unfair to make assumptions until either a) we have access to a direct feed from a reputable source or b) we have the game in our hands.

Sorry for the stupid question on behalf of others who might not know, but where do you set the 720p?
From the game settings or the PS3 settings?
Thanks

In the PS3 settings, but honestly I don't think the argument of choosing 720p instead of 1080p is any good.
I don't have any problems with GT5's framerate and I won't judge on GT6 before I play it, but if they say it will run at (almost) 60fps in 1080p they should at least optimize it properly to all resolutions, so you don't have to go down to 720p to get a smooth experience. But as I said, I'm not complaining before I try for myself ;)

The limit of PS3 is reached.... There will probably down 10 fps in extreme circumstances, nothing serious

Last edited:
"The closest thing we have to a cure-all for these issues is to disengage 1080p resolution on the PlayStation 3 XMB and downgrade to the 720p display mode. Outside of a few dips in frame-rate caused by the appearance of alpha-based effects, GT6 manages to deliver a very solid experience in 720p, minus some occasional judder when the engine is being put under load. The use of different viewpoints has little impact on smoothness and for the most part we are looking at a mostly locked 60FPS update - cockpit view still has a hit on frame-rate, but it's nowhere near as pronounced as it is in the 1080p mode."

GT5 vs GT:A by EuroGamer http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gt6-demo-vs-gt5

"I for one was turned off from GT5 due to the bad frame rate"
WHAT ? GT 5 runs nearly in all situations with 60fps. I think you don't know what you are talking about ! Watch the DigitalFoundry videos !!!!

ps: I bought GT 5 at the release day. And i think i played it 355 days per year, 2-5 hours per day. How is it possible that i dont saw any frame rate problems ? Are we talking about 2 different games ? Or are you just searching something to complain ? If you will not buy GT 6 then thats fine.

Last edited:
"I for one was turned off from GT5 due to the bad frame rate"

WHAT ? GT 5 runs nearly in all situations with 60fps. I think you don't know what you are talking about ! Watch the DigitalFoundry videos !!!!

It runs at 60fps in nearly all situations of a single car on a non-weather, non-adjustable-time track. Throw a field of cars in there, or weather, and it will usually fall, though not nearly as much as if you combine all of those, obviously.

It's fine that some people don't notice frame rate issues - but that doesn't mean they somehow don't exist. As appealing as the idea is that not seeing a problem means there isn't one...

It runs at 60fps in nearly all situations of a single car on a non-weather, non-adjustable-time track. Throw a field of cars in there, or weather, and it will usually fall, though not nearly as much as if you combine all of those, obviously.

It's fine that some people don't notice frame rate issues - but that doesn't mean they somehow don't exist. As appealing as the idea is that not seeing a problem means there isn't one...
Gt5 has a subtle frame rate lost, unlike some haves that have frame rate dips/spikes. That is the most annoying thing ever, in the last of us you can't tell until the camera starts getting all jittery. I'v done test and looked around as to why some games with rate rate dips don't bug me and while some do.. consistent frame rate looks like a curve on a chart while sloppy frame rate spikes back and forward, GT5 NEVER TRIED to achieve 60 FPS in the rain and it was a STABLE 25-35 FPS.. Now imagine the Frame rate fluctuating between 25 and 60 every second.

Back