#3: Daniel Ricciardo
#33: Max Verstappen

Ferrari
#5: Sebastian Vettel
#7: Kimi Raikkonen

Williams-Mercedes
#19: Felipe Massa
#77: Valterri Bottas
Explanation: Williams is still in need of money, money Massa's sponsors routinely bring to the table. Along with Bottas, who is probably the fastest driver not in a factory team or the Red Bull program right now, they can't afford to let go of either at the moment unless they find someone with more money and a decent amount of talent.

Force India-Mercedes
#27: Nico Hulkenburg
#94: Pascal Wehrlein
Explanation: Perez obviously is fast. He's outraced Hulk on numerous occasions, and if a factory team is interested, he's certainly taking it to rise through the field again. This gives Mercedes the chance to bring the talented Pascal up from Manor.

Toro Rosso-Ferrari
#26: Carlos Sainz
#TBD: Pierre Gasly
Explanation: Simply put, no one survives a Red Bull demotion. Sorry Dany.

McLaren-Honda
#14: Fernando Alonso
#22: Jenson Button
Explanation: McLaren and Honda have grown considerably with this pairing. I see both ending their careers here at the end of next season.

Haas-Ferrari
#8: Romain Grosjean
#21: Esteban Gutierrez
Explanation: While Grosjean has scored all of the team's points, Gutierrez has soundly beaten him at several races this year when both were out of points. It's just sad that Esteban has no points to show for it because he's definitely grown as a driver.

Renault
#11: Sergio Perez
#26: Daniil Kyvat
Explanation: This is my gambling team. I see both Julie Ann and K-Mag being dropped for Perez, who is stellar and motivated, as well as Kvyat, who despite his troubles, does have a fair amount of success and potential backing as long as Sirotkin doesn't pop up on the grid.

Manor-Mercedes
#TBD: Esteban Ocon
#TBD: Stoffel Vandoorne
Explanation: With Wehrlein promoted and Haryanto out of money, Ocon is an obvious choice. Stoffel, while not bringing the mega sponsorship dollars, is fine because if they remain ahead of Sauber, they'll earn money for 10th in points which could facilitate the move to sign him.

Sauber-Ferrari
Who cares?
#12: Felipe Nasr
#TBD: Raffaele Marciello
Explanation: They're going to get very desperate for money, and the only way I can see them saving themselves is by striking a deal with Ferrari and putting Marciello in the car. That second seat could also very well go to Sirotkin, who has past history with the team as a practice driver. If Kvyat secures his seat first, then it's fair to guess that both can coexist for a season.

Perez still fits the bill. Good thing I didn't put Dany as lead driver

Why does it matter if their lead driver is "charismatic", as long as they are fast, and consistent? Seems to me as if the management at Renault are focusing on the wrong things! :odd:
They also have a brand to promote. I'd rather listen to a driver with charisma talk about Renault than a driver that makes me want to change the channel

They also have a brand to promote. I'd rather listen to a driver with charisma talk about Renault than a driver that makes me want to change the channel

But what sells more? A charismatic driver plugging the companies products, or race wins, and championships? Judging by the rocketing sales of Mercedes-Benz's here in the UK, I'm hedging my bets on the latter.

But what sells more? A charismatic driver plugging the companies products, or race wins, and championships? Judging by the rocketing sales of Mercedes-Benz's here in the UK, I'm hedging my bets on the latter.
It genuinely depends. It's way more than just winning. And honestly, I don't see Renault winning a championship with either of their current drivers regardless, which throws in another question; If a championship is out of reach, how do you attract sponsorship? By having a charismatic driver that is fan friendly and respectable. They'll still be looking for talented drivers, but they can't go all out and forget about attracting fans and sponsorship.

It genuinely depends. It's way more than just winning. And honestly, I don't see Renault winning a championship with either of their current drivers regardless, which throws in another question; If a championship is out of reach, how do you attract sponsorship? By having a charismatic driver that is fan friendly and respectable. They'll still be looking for talented drivers, but they can't go all out and forget about attracting fans and sponsorship.

Renault themselves know that it will take several years of development, and building the team back up, before they can realistically expect to fight for titles. That's why they're not worried about their poor form this season; they knew it was going to be a rough year.

However I'd also expect them to know the importance of having a driver capable of winning races, and titles, to capitalize on the teams strengths, once they're up to speed. After all, that is how they found success during their last stint, as a works team.

Back in 2001 they signed Fernando Alonso up as a test driver, for 2002. One year on, he was promoted to a race seat for 2003. After that it was another two years, before they could challenge for the world championship. During those two seasons however, Fernando and the team harmonized their way of working. Admittedly this wasn't great for the guy on the other side of the garage, but it strengthened their title bid even further.

Now Fernando is hardly one of the most charismatic people in Formula One. But he got the job done! It's doubtful that a driver who knows how to flap their lips, but not how to maximize opportunities in each race, could do the same. And in the end, it's much easier to advertise success. People generally don't tend to go for someone telling them how great their companies product is, as it comes across as too "in your face".

You don't need to have too much charisma... and you can sell well even if you keep ending up in second place.

What evidence do you have which suggests the increase in MB sales in England is directly or indirectly related to F1?

Bear in mind that the reason for MB's success in F1 is mostly due to their engine package....an engine package that has zero relevance to the any of their road cars. The desirable MBs have V8s or V12s, and I don't believe they have a single hybrid car in their lineup.

While facts indicte that MB is winning in both F1 and on the showroom floor, I would guess that the two are more coincidence than MB sales increasing as a result of their F1 success.

What evidence do you have which suggests the increase in MB sales in England is directly or indirectly related to F1?

Bear in mind that the reason for MB's success in F1 is mostly due to their engine package....an engine package that has zero relevance to the any of their road cars. The desirable MBs have V8s or V12s, and I don't believe they have a single hybrid car in their lineup.

While facts indicte that MB is winning in both F1 and on the showroom floor, I would guess that the two are more coincidence than MB sales increasing as a result of their F1 success.
Google is your friend.:embarrassed:
Plug-In Hybrid
Far-reaching benefits. Immediate rewards.
Mercedes-Benz plug-in hybrid vehicles offer the unique benefit of both high fuel efficiency and high performance. Inspiration—and technology—comes directly from our championship-winning F1 racing team because it is constantly innovating to build faster, lighter, and more efficient cars. And our lineup of no-compromise plug-in hybrids is growing rapidly, with all with the safety, luxury and performance leadership you expect from Mercedes-Benz.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/green#module-4

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/green/hybrid

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cont...s_world/innovation_new/hybrid_technology.html

Google is your friend.:embarrassed:
Plug-In Hybrid
Far-reaching benefits. Immediate rewards.
Mercedes-Benz plug-in hybrid vehicles offer the unique benefit of both high fuel efficiency and high performance. Inspiration—and technology—comes directly from our championship-winning F1 racing team because it is constantly innovating to build faster, lighter, and more efficient cars. And our lineup of no-compromise plug-in hybrids is growing rapidly, with all with the safety, luxury and performance leadership you expect from Mercedes-Benz.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/green#module-4

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/green/hybrid

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cont...s_world/innovation_new/hybrid_technology.html
How many of those models are production models that have been on sale long enough to effect MB sales figures?

What percentage of total sales do these new hybrid models make up compared to the rest of the MB lineup?

Does it surprise you that the CEO of a publicly traded company would toe the company line in saying that the millions of dollars being invested in F1 are justified?

Last edited:
How many of those models are production models that have been on sale long enough to effect MB sales figures?

What percentage of total sales do these new hybrid models make up compared to the rest of the MB lineup?

Does it surprise you that the CEO of a publicly traded company would toe the company line in saying that the millions of dollars being invested in F1 are justified?
No idea, Google it if you want those answers.

No idea, Google it if you want those answers.
I know the answers, I've seen them before on other websites where this same discussion has already taken place. I was more curious if you were aware of the figures. Like you said, "Google is your friend."

But what the hell do I know? I barely know how to use google, and I definitely don't have links to official MB websites full of artist's renderings.

I really don't even know why I bother posting on this site anymore :lol: I definitely don't have the energy to approach every conversation like it's a battle of who has better Google skills. I was once told the GT6 Drift and GT6 Drag forums were the armpits of GT6. Probably true, but the motorsport forum has definitely become the asshole of GTP.

I know the answers, I've seen them before on other websites where this same discussion has already taken place. I was more curious if you were aware of the figures. Like you said, "Google is your friend."

But what the hell do I know? I barely know how to use google, and I definitely don't have links to official MB websites full of artist's renderings.

I really don't even know why I bother posting on this site anymore :lol: I definitely don't have the energy to approach every conversation like it's a battle of who has better Google skills. I was once told the GT6 Drift and GT6 Drag forums were the armpits of GT6. Probably true, but the motorsport forum has definitely become the asshole of GTP.
Hoenstly I dont care what the sales figures are. I was just pointing you to the information about Mercedes that you clearly didnt know about yet claimed did not exist.

Hoenstly I dont care what the sales figures are. I was just pointing you to the information about Mercedes that you clearly didnt know about yet claimed did not exist.
Didn't make a claim, I said I don't believe, implying I wasn't aware of any. Turns out I was wrong, guess you win a cookie :lol:

And Haryanto falls into the pit of pay drivers who did nothing in a single season and disappeared into nothingness.
I wouldn't say that he did nothing per se - Wehrlein was (and is) highly-rated, and was widely expected to trounce Haryanto. And while he certainly out-classed Haryanto, the difference between the two wasn't nearly as vast as anticipated.

And Haryanto falls into the pit of pay drivers who did nothing in a single season and disappeared into nothingness.

Most of them lasted a whole season though.

With a major oil corporation filling his coffers, I didn't expect Haryanto to have any trouble making it too next season; never mind seeing out the current one. I've overestimated either their funding of Rio, or the punch they pack! :lol:

Pretty crazy to think Manor have probably the best two rookies you could possibly ask for at this point in time.

With a major oil corporation filling his coffers, I didn't expect Haryanto to have any trouble making it too next season; never mind seeing out the current one. I've overestimated either their funding of Rio, or the punch they pack! :lol:
It's possible that Pertamina felt that they weren't getting value for money and so backed out.

Pretty crazy to think Manor have probably the best two rookies you could possibly ask for at this point in time.

Indeed it seems their partnership with Mercedes is paying dividends for them. Would be great to see both Wehrlein and Ocon, at the wheel of an even more competitive Manor, in 2017. This year's car finally has them racing the tail end of the midfield on merit. Question is do they have the resources to build a car that, in the right hands, is capable of climbing to the lower reaches of the points regularly?

It's possible that Pertamina felt that they weren't getting value for money and so backed out.

Didn't virtually the same thing happen to Karun Chandhok, back in 2010? :odd:

Indeed it seems their partnership with Mercedes is paying dividends for them. Would be great to see both Wehrlein and Ocon, at the wheel of an even more competitive Manor, in 2017. This year's car finally has them racing the tail end of the midfield on merit. Question is do they have the resources to build a car that, in the right hands, is capable of climbing to the lower reaches of the points regularly?

Didn't virtually the same thing happen to Karun Chandhok, back in 2010? :odd:
And Karthekayan in 2012

And Karthekayan in 2012

Don't you mean 2011? In 2012, Narain contested the full season. However in 2011 he made way for some Italian-Australian geezer at the British GP, although he made a one-race comeback, for his home event in India.

Don't you mean 2011? In 2012, Narain contested the full season. However in 2011 he made way for some Italian-Australian geezer at the British GP, although he made a one-race comeback, for his home event in India.
Yeah. Both were for Hispania in any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back