The fail wheel T500rs , not the official wheel after buying.

  • Thread starter Thread starter G12
  • 106 comments
  • 11,609 views

G12

Messages
62
I just recieved my t500rs named the "official" gt5 700$ wheel.
All the hardwork of using magnetic technology this , 2 modes that , metal pedals , 100% is wasted in GT5 because thrustmasters doesnt know anything about racing. The steering degrees can be changed in PC but The steering degrees cannot be changed in GT5 and its steering is no where direct enough to be a racing wheel , you see almost all racing cars in the world has direct steering and thats about all modern racing cars in the world. If you drive an F1 car on any kind of track , well since all tracks have tight sections. Youve hit the wall before you knew it , you couldnt drive a racing car with this wheel , this wheel is designed for pedestrian street driving not racing though because if it was then youd have to go back to the 1950's where steering degrees didnt matter because you had understeer on its limit right away anyway.

I have a DFGT and it has direct steering , thats the proper official wheel.

I am saying this to let everyone who is planning on getting a wheel or a t500rs

I must warn you and this thread must warn you

If your into just test driving then this wheel is great but if your into racing , this wheel is completely useless.

Sorry to offend the t500 owners or thrustmaster but I have to.

My final words before returning this wheel where it should belong too is are there any official plans of having updates for the steering degrees to be adjustable or to be direct like the dfgt or g27??
 
You have not offended anyone, you with a keyboard are entitled to your opinion. BTW how is the T500 with iRacing?
 
You have not offended anyone, you with a keyboard are entitled to your opinion. BTW how is the T500 with iRacing?
Title says gt5 but im sure the wheel will be okay with any of pc's like iracing , you can adjust the steering for that.

Not many people own this wheel but this must be brought up to thrustmaster and the creator of gran turismo. Logitech's wheels look like crap but the steering works. T500rs looks nice but the steering is useless , id rather have the logitech which costs more than 2x less.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Before upgrading to the T500RS I was using the G25 and the DFGT. The only slight difference is that the T500RS has another 180deg of rotation than either the G25/G27 or DFGT.

I think what you're experiencing is the difference between a gear drive wheel- DFGT/G25/G27- to that of belt driven which the T500RS (and most of Fanatec wheels) is. Unlike gear driven wheel which has a more varied power/resistance throughout its angle of rotation (power/resistance would drop at extreme angles), the belt driven wheel is more uniform in feel. Basically, you have to put more power to steer a belt driven wheel than a gear driven wheel.

I felt the same way after switching. My times were slower and it didn't feel as effortless as it was with the Logitech wheels. But I'm less of a racer- I like to my FFB strong and I want to feel the weight in the steering wheel. And for that the T500RS is much, much better than the G25 or the DFGT.

There's an option to getting faster steering- the F1 rim for the T500RS. It's a smaller and lighter wheel and the feel is more direct. I dont usually use if for GT/road cars but for race cars be it F1, LMPs or Super GT, it's perfect.
 
Before upgrading to the T500RS I was using the G25 and the DFGT. The only slight difference is that the T500RS has another 180deg of rotation than either the G25/G27 or DFGT.

I think what you're experiencing is the difference between a gear drive wheel- DFGT/G25/G27- to that of belt driven which the T500RS (and most of Fanatec wheels) is. Unlike gear driven wheel which has a more varied power/resistance throughout its angle of rotation (power/resistance would drop at extreme angles), the belt driven wheel is more uniform in feel. Basically, you have to put more power to steer a belt driven wheel than a gear driven wheel.

I felt the same way after switching. My times were slower and it didn't feel as effortless as it was with the Logitech wheels. But I'm less of a racer- I like to my FFB strong and I want to feel the weight in the steering wheel. And for that the T500RS is much, much better than the G25 or the DFGT.

There's an option to getting faster steering- the F1 rim for the T500RS. It's a smaller and lighter wheel and the feel is more direct. I dont usually use if for GT/road cars but for race cars be it F1, LMPs or Super GT, it's perfect.


I do have the Ferrari f150 f1 wheel for t500rs...

Is there any way to make it direct as you say for gt5?
 
I just upgraded from a G27 to the Ferrari F1 Integral T500 and think the difference is amazing.

I did like the G27 but wouldn't be happy if I had to go back it after using the T500.
 
G12
I do have the Ferrari f150 f1 wheel for t500rs...

Is there any way to make it direct as you say for gt5?

Give is some time. Read the threads posted below- those who are switching from DFGT to CSR-E are experiencing basically the same thing. If you're impatient, you might want to reduce the FFB or play around with power steering.
 
Or you could give up on GT5 since it tends to have these issues?
 
Blame GT5 for poor wheel support, not Thrustmaster for making the best wheel on the market right now.
 
Give is some time. Read the threads posted below- those who are switching from DFGT to CSR-E are experiencing basically the same thing. If you're impatient, you might want to reduce the FFB or play around with power steering.
this wheel had been around for months. I dont think patience is the correct word because if it hasnt even been planned on being fixed then there isnt any plans. Its not about forcefeed back , theres no way im crossing my arms on an f1 style wheel let alone on an f1 car , theres no time for crossing arms just like in f1 onboard videos. You can still drive but not at a fast pace.

Csr elite's steering can be adjusted and t500 cant.

Jav
Blame GT5 for poor wheel support, not Thrustmaster for making the best wheel on the market right now.
not thrustmasters? Then why do logitech wheels have the correct compromise in steering like dfgt and g27.. I think its more of both but I cant believe they call t500 rs officially supported because to me its officially useless for racing. Unacceptable for an official 700$ wheel.

Im pissed , they should have called this the official drift wheel or pedestrian driving wheel or actually the driver licencing in gt5

What a piece of **** i cant believe that 700$ useless for race cars and yet the DFGT is useful for racing and works even for drifting.

Or you could give up on GT5 since it tends to have these issues?
not going to give up but the best option is to buyback for now ,I hope the creator of gran turismo will make a solution.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand. What is "direct steering"? What doesn't work?
 
I don't understand. What is "direct steering"? What doesn't work?
direct steering means the car turns more when steering. All modern race cars in the world has direct steering and its not rocket science. GT5 is not a pedestrian street driving with a road car game. Its a race car driving on racing tracks game. Its not rocket science.

DFGT which costs 3x less clearly superior to the T500rs

T500rs f1 costs 800 usd with tax and shipping

Thats more expensive than buying a PS3, GT5 ,DFGt , screen and maybe a wheel stand and some desert for dinner..

So Kazunori yamauchi

Its not rocket science?

If Logitech has the correct steering compromise from DFGT and G27 then whats the problem with the new official t500 thrustmaster.

avatar2.jpg
Blame GT5 for poor wheel support
you dont need to say poor because they can make it rich.

Is gt5 and thrustmaster capable of updating the t500rs' steering into steering like dfgt or g27 on terms of directness?? I dont know :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
G12
Title says gt5 but im sure the wheel will be okay with any of pc's like iracing , you can adjust the steering for that.

I know I can, in fact I do iRace, sorry did not mean to offend you. I use to race GT5 and had no problem at all with either of my T500's. You can see my set up Here Hope you get your T500 figured out, lots of online help if you take the time.

BTW, I prefer my T500 over my Fanatec Elite wheel.
 
G12,

I can't take you seriously to be honest. You are starting two threads here with overstated thread titles. And then writing nothing else than that you have the one and only truth to share with us poor dimwits to prevent us from mistakes.

And all this as a first time poster. And with "interesting" facts. For example I have no idea where you have to pay 700$ for the T500. In the US it is 400 - 500$.

To start a useful discussion and share own experience (and maybe asking for some help) there are many different ways to do so. You have chosen none of them.

Best regards,

Mahnegold
 
It's GT5's fault, not the wheel. The wheel can only do what it's technically capable of, and what it's told to do. In GT5, it's told to use it's full 1080º no matter what the car is. You feel that the G27 and DFGT are more sensitive because they only support 900º.

Try out the T500RS, or any wheel for that matter, on a PC sim, where you can fully customize your steering wheel, and then decide whether the T500RS is a "fail wheel" or not.
 
And all this as a first time poster. And with "interesting" facts.

Agreed, seems like there might be a bit more of that lately then usual in Hardware section.

For example I have no idea where you have to pay 700$ for the T500

Benefit of the doubt offering (but I am not buying it).
Possibly Australia where it can sell for $725 AU.

Smoke, mirrors, and maybe viral marketing? :sly:

Wonder how far up the chain the Admins, and Super Admin can see? 💡
A little cross-referencing of some recent thread posting's back-end data in the Sim Racing Hardware section might reveal some coincidences.

Not singling out G12.

...just saying...:)
 
Last edited:
I agree here, gt doesn't get the full source code for wheels so they need to play a bit of guessing games in terms of programming.

Also, to the op, do you really need to double and triple post? Mods don't like that here, you should add to the other post rather than posting back to back. Just a heads up.
 
G12,

I can't take you seriously to be honest. You are starting two threads here with overstated thread titles. And then writing nothing else than that you have the one and only truth to share with us poor dimwits to prevent us from mistakes.

And all this as a first time poster. And with "interesting" facts. For example I have no idea where you have to pay 700$ for the T500. In the US it is 400 - 500$.

To start a useful discussion and share own experience (and maybe asking for some help) there are many different ways to do so. You have chosen none of them.

Best regards,

Mahnegold

So it seems a few of us had that feeling, I'm glad even some of the newer visitors are getting a quick understanding of the crap that comes through the forum. This is a great post for sure, nice job Mahnegold.

Also to the OP I'm not saying you have to just suggesting that you might want to try something more than GT5 to get the full use of that wheel. Just a suggestion and it seems others are trying to "respectfully" do the same, but your ego and angst is getting the best of you. You're not the first user with this issue and wont be the last. It seems you were overeager and missed the mark and yet you come in here with your wordly knowledge, when ironically you're asking for our help. Wow, just wow.
 
Double post is when you post twice, or more, in a row. If I posted this before yours but after my other one, that's a double post. ;)
 
It seems you were overeager and missed the mark and yet you come in here with your wordly knowledge, when ironically you're asking for our help. Wow, just wow.

Lets not forget the OP is still entitled to his opinion even if we don't agree with it. :)
 
My T500RS is the best wheel I have ever owned. I use it for all sims on my PC and also GT5 and it works flawlessly in all of them.
I have also owned a G25 and still own a DFGT which I haven't needed to use since I got my T500.
Maybe the OP got a dodgy wheel or something because my T500 works great in GT5.
 
Ok, what is it called, if you post the same content in different threads?
 
G12
you dont need to say poor because they can make it rich.

Is gt5 and thrustmaster capable of updating the t500rs' steering into steering like dfgt or g27 on terms of directness?? I dont know :(

Currently it is poor, duh! Hence why people are saying it, just because something has the potential doesn't mean it is. Common sense goes a long way.
Jav
Blame GT5 for poor wheel support, not Thrustmaster for making the best wheel on the market right now.

Told him this and he stood by GT5 as infallible.

Also why make two of the same threads, I'm surprised the mods haven't put them together or deleted/closed one.
 
Wouldn't increasing the steering sensitivity solve the problem?
 
Ok, what is it called, if you post the same content in different threads?

Not following the forum etiquette or more or less not following the AUP.

Lets not forget the OP is still entitled to his opinion even if we don't agree with it. :)

It's not about being entitled, being flat out rude is the issue, as well as not following aup (more or less) and creating a second thread with the same OP in different sub-forums. It's hard for people that have been here a while to respect a new member when they seem to be going about this the wrong way.

It's great to have an opinion and I respect you for putting up with it even after he was rude to you. However, I on the other hand don't appreciate it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is this not more of a case you haven't given enough time to adjust to the way the new wheel feels?

Lots of people use this wheel with no major steering issues. Thrustmaster have stated it is upto each developer to configure the wheel options and determine what options/settings are available to the user.

Compared to the DFGT this is a much smoother, faster more accurate wheel, maybe a bit too much plastic at the price point and the rim could of been more durable less scratch resistant or a better material. Still it odd you haven't been able to adjust to liking it.

Are you sure your product is not faulty in some way?

While I still have a DF-GT I don't think I would ever use it over the T500 and I'm sure that is the same for many others.
 
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying OP? Are you saying that steering is unresponsive with the T500 RS when compared to the DFGT? I've owned a DFP, G27, have used a DFGT and now own a T500 and I feel like it is the best wheel(wheel, not pedals) out of all of them and I don't feel like it has a responsiveness problem. Maybe I'm missing something though? Could this feeling you experience be because of the T500's larger rim than the wheels you mentioned, meaning it feels like you turning it more to get the same degree of turn on the wheel as the smaller rimmed wheels?

Edit: you also don't need to post the same exact thing in two different parts of the forums.
 
Last edited:
Sorry to hear your story. I guess you can get some cash if you plan to sell it. I wouldn't buy a Dfgt for its noise.
 
Back