The Forgotten Cars Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,351 comments
If it weren't for the fact that it's in the GT series, I probably would have forgotten about the Chrysler Prowler. The only time I've ever seen one was when my dad visited a Dodge/Chrysler dealer to buy his current car. I have never seen one actually on the road or anything.

'01-'02_Chrysler_Prowler_(Orange_Julep).JPG
My god there are so many of those down in Miami and the Bahamas. When I went for a cruise a few years ago, walking down a street in Nassau there were at least 10, one after the other.

It may not be as luxurious as the 1983 Imperial but is more luxurious than Cadillac's Cimarron
And everyone hated that because it was obvious to everyone who saw one in its first couple of years:
1983 Cadillac Cimarron
5657454946_6e8ab8ac12_z.jpg
That it was a Cavalier:
29918070041_large.jpg

Here is a picture of a 1984 Lebaron (K-body) interior:
image-jpeg.519726
And here's a picture of a 1984 Reliant K:
307_0065.jpg

If people wanted a luxury-ish (or at least the 1970s American version of luxury) Chrysler in the mid-1980s they bought a Fifth Avenue and ticked every option box. Maybe after 1985 they bought a LeBaron GTS and loaded it up with everything if they wanted a domestic attempt at 3 series BMW. And the much larger 1988 New Yorker did a much better job putting on airs of being a luxury car since it actually had the drivetrain and presence to match what it was trying to sell.

The original FWD New Yorker was a joke, and it wasn't even particularly good as an alternative to a Cutlass Ciera.

Last edited:
What's so funny?

And everyone hated that because it was obvious to everyone who saw one in its first couple of years:

That it was a Cavalier:
29918070041_large.jpg

And here's a picture of a 1984 Reliant K:
307_0065.jpg

If people wanted a luxury-ish (or at least the 1970s American version of luxury) Chrysler in the mid-1980s they bought a Fifth Avenue and ticked every option box. Maybe after 1985 they bought a LeBaron GTS and loaded it up with everything if they wanted a domestic attempt at 3 series BMW. And the much larger 1988 New Yorker did a much better job putting on airs of being a luxury car since it actually had the drivetrain and presence to match what it was trying to sell.

The original FWD New Yorker was a joke, and it wasn't even particularly good as an alternative to a Cutlass Ciera.

I'm not exactly sure what this post is trying to say, but I'll start of by saying that the Reliant's interior looks a lot more luxurious and comfy than the Cavalier's.

But there are a few wrongs in your post. First, drivetrain doesn't matter in luxury cars, since they are not performance cars. Who cares that the E Class/New Yorker were FF, they were still very luxurious and well engineered cars. The Cadillac XTS is a pretty lixurious car, and it's FF.

I have never heard anyone say they "hated" the '81-83 Imperial. Hands down it was more luxurious than any of Lincoln's offerings, and probably as luxurious (maybe more) as a fully-optioned Fleetwood Brougham. Just because it didn't sell well doesn't mean it's a bad car.

And most people shouldn't have to fully option out a car to get luxury. The E Class/New Yorker (and the Fifth Avenue) had luxurious amenities standard. If people are ticking off every option box when they are buying a car to get luxury, then chances are the car isn't very luxurious as standard.

Nissan-Figaro-green.jpg

Used to see a blue one of these at least once a week, but haven't seen any of these in ages.

EDIT: Not a Kei car. One class up sorry. Still mighty luxurious for it's class.

I have not seen a Ford Exp on the road in a very long time now.
1985-EXP-Front-Right-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure what this post is trying to say, but I'll start of by saying that the Reliant's interior looks a lot more luxurious and comfy than the Cavalier's.
The point was that the original K New Yorker was a Plymouth Reliant with leather, a wheelbase stretch, a digital dashboard and power windows; just like the Cimarron was obviously a Cavalier with most of the same "enhancements". The Reliant was the definition of a skinflint car for its entire life, and no one was fooled by what they tried to do with the initial long wheelbase Ks.

First, drivetrain doesn't matter in luxury cars, since they are not performance cars. Who cares that the E Class/New Yorker were FF, they were still very luxurious and well engineered cars. The Cadillac XTS is a pretty lixurious car, and it's FF.
Drive wheels doesn't really matter. The followup New Yorker was really the same car in that respect. Powertrain does, and Chrysler was completely hopeless by that measure until the latter half of that decade. Even the Cimarron got a gutsy V6 as soon as it could be brought to bear. A Cutlass Ciera always had one as an option. Chrysler gave buyers the option of a Mitsubishi four cylinder and a turbo K before the latter was actually very good.
I have never heard anyone say they "hated" the '81-83 Imperial. Hands down it was more luxurious than any of Lincoln's offerings, and probably as luxurious (maybe more) as a fully-optioned Fleetwood Brougham. Just because it didn't sell well doesn't mean it's a bad car.
What does the 1981-1983 Imperial have to do with the 1983-1988 Chrysler New Yorker?

If people are ticking off every option box when they are buying a car to get luxury, then chances are the car isn't very luxurious as standard.
And if a car is so obviously a tarted up version of a cheap mid-sized sedan, something Chrysler struggled with nearly every time Lido reached into his magic hat and pulled out a new K, chances are that it isn't a luxury car. Chrysler did make things that could, if you squinted, be called luxury cars. The big Fifth Avenue most obviously, since it blew out the New Yorker in sales every year they were both on sale. The replacement New Yorker, which had enough presence that it started stealing sales from the big Fifth Avenue contributing to its death. The LeBaron GTS, since Chrysler designed it to try and scalp buyers of sports sedans, could maybe be considered the thing you got if you didn't want a German car.

But the original K New Yorker was not.

All this talk of luxury K cars makes my head hurt.

As a kid growing up in the 80's I remember these as new cars. When I was 8 my whole view of what a good car was changed. Up to then I thought leather seating was the difference between luxurious and basic. The world changing event was my mom getting a red 1986 BMW 325.

Keep in mind this was a basic model with the weaker 2.7l ETA engine. 5 speed manual, manual sunroof too. But it had leather seating, so it was a luxury car by my young standards. Well the car blew me away. Looking back it was nothing special at all. But it seemed like a rocket ship at the time, getting sucked back into the seat, shift after shift, curve after curve. It lit a fire in me literally.

EDIT: This seems like pointless BMW fanboyism I know, far from it though. I drive a Silverado currently. It just showed me at an early age what a "good" car was. Consider the 1982 Datsun Maxima she had previously. Same basic ingredients, much worse execution...

I never thought of any K car as luxury. I always felt sorry for the owners of new ones, duped by Mr. Iacocca into settling for mediocrity.

This is not meant to offend anyone. If you like K cars that is great. Just be factual. Don't try to exaggerate how good they were. I will edit this later with a Chrysler product I do remember fondly.

1980_dodge_mirada_2070131447625597545.jpg

The Dodge Mirada. My Dad owned one of these once. For an early '80s Chrysler it is not a bad looking car.

Last edited:
View attachment 522245Ford Aspire View attachment 522244Subaru Tribeca View attachment 522246 Oldsmobile Bravada
View attachment 522247 Chevrolet Venture
View attachment 522248 Toyota Tercel
For some reason, I really want a Tercel. It's so simple and it was the last car to ever have a 4 speed manual in the US.

One if my neighbors has a Venture. Granted, I believe it no longer works, but they drove around in it a good deal. But that's one of the only ones I've ever seen.

Remember those plus-sized Golf models you saw a couple dozen times today? /Euro traffic

VW_Golf_Plus_front_20071212.jpg

Easily the most nondescript and forgettable VW of the '00s. Even the first gen Touran had the distinction of being an obvious stopgap designed to sit between the regular Golf and Sharan, plus the similarly sized sister car over on the SEAT forecourt sparked a bold new corporate look for the marque instead of popping up out of the aether as a larded up version of an existing C-segment model.

You seriously don't see how ridiculous the argument you're making is?
No, I don't.

The point was that the original K New Yorker was a Plymouth Reliant with leather, a wheelbase stretch, a digital dashboard and power windows; just like the Cimarron was obviously a Cavalier with most of the same "enhancements". The Reliant was the definition of a skinflint car for its entire life, and no one was fooled by what they tried to do with the initial long wheelbase Ks.

Drive wheels doesn't really matter. The followup New Yorker was really the same car in that respect. Powertrain does, and Chrysler was completely hopeless by that measure until the latter half of that decade. Even the Cimarron got a gutsy V6 as soon as it could be brought to bear. A Cutlass Ciera always had one as an option. Chrysler gave buyers the option of a Mitsubishi four cylinder and a turbo K before the latter was actually very good.

What does the 1981-1983 Imperial have to do with the 1983-1988 Chrysler New Yorker?

And if a car is so obviously a tarted up version of a cheap mid-sized sedan, something Chrysler struggled with nearly every time Lido reached into his magic hat and pulled out a new K, chances are that it isn't a luxury car. Chrysler did make things that could, if you squinted, be called luxury cars. The big Fifth Avenue most obviously, since it blew out the New Yorker in sales every year they were both on sale. The replacement New Yorker, which had enough presence that it started stealing sales from the big Fifth Avenue contributing to its death. The LeBaron GTS, since Chrysler designed it to try and scalp buyers of sports sedans, could maybe be considered the thing you got if you didn't want a German car.

But the original K New Yorker was not.
Yes, no one was fooled that the E-Class/NYer/Caravelle/600 was a stretched K-Car. But thats not a bad thing.

Powertrain does matter in opulent cars, but it matters more today than it did 30 years ago. Back then, everyone knew they couldn't buy an American luxury car that exceeds 200 horsepower. Today the Lincoln MKZ, a mid size, entry level luxury car, has 400 horses.

But engine type didn't even matter either. Everyone knew that a mid-size, and a compact luxury car wouldn't get a V8. Saying that a Cimarron got a V6 and an E-Class did not isn't even bragging. All K models received a 2.6L turbocharged engine, and given the choice of a turbo 4 or a V6, the turbo would always win. It produced a good amount of power, was reliable, and better for the environment, which as we all know was a big concern of the 80's.

But don't even try to say that the Cimarron was a better buy than the E-Class. The Cimarron is one of the most hated American cars ever, and it was a badged-over Cavalier. But the E-Class was too a rebadged 600, and no one ever gave a damn. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about the E-Class/NYer.

Every Chrysler of the 80's, regardless of shape, size, and popularity, was a luxury car. There'd be no point in Chrysler designing non-luxury cars, that's what Dodge and Plymouth were for. Some Chryslers were more luxurious than others, and clearly, the E-Class was more luxurious than a number of them.

Back