The Forgotten Cars Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,350 comments
I remember seeing a TV advert for the Jetta variants and one was the Hybrid. Forgot they existed until a 2013 model year one got traded in at my dealership. Got to drive it as well and it's surprisingly quick. Interior is dreadful though.
2013-volkswagen-jetta-hybrid-sel-exterior-front-right-800x600-1200x630-c-ar1.91.jpg

-> ...
2005-2010 Cadillac BLS

Classical example of GM badge-engineering. The Cadillac BLS was a compact sedan/wagon built exclusively for northern Europe; almost all were sold in either Russia, Scandinavia, Germany, or the Baltic states. It was based off the GM Epsilon platform, which consisted of the Saab 9-3, Chevrolet Malibu, Opel Vectra, and Saturn Aura sedans, and was built in Sweden. In its top spec, the BLS was powered by a 2.8L turbocharged V6 making 250hp and a 6-speed manual, making for a decent driving experience. Curiously, it was never sold in America, which was especially odd since the American Cadillac market was void of a compact car on their lineup at the time. The BLS received average reviews but sold poorly, with less then 10k of them ever leaving the factory.
^ If GM had the guts to install the Aero-X components on this...a spicy BLS-V would be in order. If only... :indiff:

1996-1999 Tatra 700

The 700 was the very last passenger vehicle made by the Czech marque Tatra, and it replaced the aging 613. What set this land yacht apart from it's competitors more than anything else was not the fact that it's Czech, but it being rear-engined, rear-wheel drive, and air-cooled. Measuring in at over 202 inches long and weighing 1800kg, it was roughly the size of a long-wheelbase Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W140). Two engines were available: a 3.5L V8 and a 4.4L V8, making 198 and 231 horsepower respectively; the 4.4L produced well over 300 lb-ft of torque, allowing the 700 to reach speeds of 156mph. Strangely, this car was only offered with a 5-speed manual, unconventional for a flagship luxury cruiser. Unfortunately, the 700 did not sell nearly as well as it's German rivals, the A8, W140, and E38, due to it being virtually unknown and having odd proportions. Just 75 of these were ever built in its 4-year lifespan.

1996-2002 Audi S8

upload_2018-7-23_16-32-57.png

upload_2018-7-23_16-31-56.png

upload_2018-7-23_16-32-10.png

upload_2018-7-23_16-33-20.png

Audi's original flagship performance sedan, the D2 S8, certainly isn't well remembered. Sporting a handsome exterior and a futuristic interior, the S8 was a highly acclaimed car for it's time. Performance is a far cry from the current S8; it was powered by a 4.2L V8 making 335 horsepower (355 from 1999-2002), compared to the 2018 S8 having 597hp. Also, it did 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, compared to 3.4 seconds now. 105,000 first-gen A8s were produced globally, yet only a few thousand of them were S8s, making it a rarity.

Now I know why my post got zero likes... the car wasn't so unpopular after all because it's in a movie everyone knows about that apparently I don't.

Thankfully, Youtube can help you avoid the suffering that is most of the movie and instead show you just the good bits.

The final chase where they're going through Paris into incoming traffic is one for the ages, as well.

Thankfully, Youtube can help you avoid the suffering that is most of the movie and instead show you just the good bits.
I don't know...as far as low budget (compared to now anyway) action movies with no comedic intent go, I thought it was decent. The Sean Bean ("bit of raspberry jam, eh") stuff was a little painful to watch but Jonathan Pryce and Stellan Skarsgård were fantastic.

I'd have to watch it again, it's been quite a while. I seem to remember the plot didn't live up to the stunt driving... but then again, nothing will ever be as terrible as Bullitt on that front.

I seem to remember the plot didn't live up to the stunt driving...
Sure the MacGuffin was a little contrived, and perhaps the driving scenes were disproportionate to the drama (remember that Frankenheimer brought us Grand Prix--arguably the greatest racing movie of all time), but I think it was very well acted for an action movie, and the score is phenomenal.

1995 Aixam Mega Track

upload_2018-7-24_16-4-50.png

upload_2018-7-24_16-5-3.png

upload_2018-7-24_16-5-22.png

upload_2018-7-24_16-5-35.png

upload_2018-7-24_16-5-42.png

Developed by the small French microcar company Aixam, the Mega Track was one of the weirdest (and most forgotten) supercars ever made. It's a super heavy, mid-engined, all wheel drive French supercar! It was powered by a 6.0L Mercedes V12 making 394hp and weighed 2300kg. Not only was it heavy, it was huge; it measured exactly 200 inches long and was 87 inches wide. That's about 20 inches wider than the average 1990s car! Also, because of it's 13' ground clearance, it was nearly just as good as an SUV and climbing rough terrain. Only five of them were ever produced.

1995 Aixam Mega Track

View attachment 753756

View attachment 753757

View attachment 753758

View attachment 753759

View attachment 753760

Developed by the small French microcar company Aixam, the Mega Track was one of the weirdest (and most forgotten) supercars ever made. It's a super heavy, mid-engined, all wheel drive French supercar! It was powered by a 6.0L Mercedes V12 making 394hp and weighed 2300kg. Not only was it heavy, it was huge; it measured exactly 200 inches long and was 87 inches wide. That's about 20 inches wider than the average 1990s car! Also, because of it's 13' ground clearance, it was nearly just as good as an SUV and climbing rough terrain. Only five of them were ever produced.

You really don't watch a lot of movies, do you?

Kidding.

:P

Speaking of Aixam, I discovered just now that they're still in business. Their current creations are a bit less... inspired than the Mega Track, to say the least. "Honey, I shrunk the Mitsubishi RVR"
1024px-2018_Aixam_Crossline_Premium_GT_CVT_600cc_Front.jpg

1996-1999 Tatra 700

The 700 was the very last passenger vehicle made by the Czech marque Tatra, and it replaced the aging 613. What set this land yacht apart from it's competitors more than anything else was not the fact that it's Czech, but it being rear-engined, rear-wheel drive, and air-cooled. Measuring in at over 202 inches long and weighing 1800kg, it was roughly the size of a long-wheelbase Mercedes-Benz S-Class (W140). Two engines were available: a 3.5L V8 and a 4.4L V8, making 198 and 231 horsepower respectively; the 4.4L produced well over 300 lb-ft of torque, allowing the 700 to reach speeds of 156mph. Strangely, this car was only offered with a 5-speed manual, unconventional for a flagship luxury cruiser. Unfortunately, the 700 did not sell nearly as well as it's German rivals, the A8, W140, and E38, due to it being virtually unknown and having odd proportions. Just 75 of these were ever built in its 4-year lifespan.
Such a nasty car, I like it!
Interior reminds me of my old 1990 Saab 9000T. Exterior is a mash of fwd Delta 88/Saab CD with 1990ish Chrysler Imperial taillights.

Such a nasty car, I like it!
Interior reminds me of my old 1990 Saab 9000T. Exterior is a mash of fwd Delta 88/Saab CD with 1990ish Chrysler Imperial taillights.
They're odd ducks. They have an air-cooled V8 in the rear, centered over the axle with the engine case housing the ring and pinion assembly with the differential. The right hand axle passes directly beneath the center main crankshaft bearing rather than under the oil pan flange mounting surface like almost every other vehicle with the engine above the driven axles. It allowed the engine to be positioned lower in the chassis while maintaining a reasonable angle on the halfshafts.

This is a 613 engine, but it's very much the same configuration:

motor.jpg

Earlier V8 Tatras had a configuration more along the lines of an air-cooled Volkswagen or Porsche.

4205839965_7fb1f40b15_b.jpg

1995 Aixam Mega Track

View attachment 753756

View attachment 753757

View attachment 753758

View attachment 753759

View attachment 753760

Developed by the small French microcar company Aixam, the Mega Track was one of the weirdest (and most forgotten) supercars ever made. It's a super heavy, mid-engined, all wheel drive French supercar! It was powered by a 6.0L Mercedes V12 making 394hp and weighed 2300kg. Not only was it heavy, it was huge; it measured exactly 200 inches long and was 87 inches wide. That's about 20 inches wider than the average 1990s car! Also, because of it's 13' ground clearance, it was nearly just as good as an SUV and climbing rough terrain. Only five of them were ever produced.​
I think it could've had more success if it rallied. But then, there are probably good reasons why it didn't.

re-limited-car-toyota-will-vs_8b9cb.jpg

Let us remember the WiLL VS, which I'm only linking because it has the most "written by the person who wrote the original ad copy" Wikipedia article I've seen in quite some time:
Production of the WiLL VS was stopped circa 2004 and a replacement model was never announced, much to the disappointment of its fans. Nevertheless, some would argue that there was no need to replace the WiLL VS for at least another decade given its futuristic design that some of the newer cars were only beginning to adopt. This would include trend-setting features such as the rakish body shape, aerodynamic angles, projector-style headlamp cluster (regarded as revolutionary in 2001), illuminated speedometer and clear LED tail lights.
Those headlights were regarded, presumably widely even, as REVOLUTIONARY in 2001. And now? Who sings a song for the VS?

VXR
Thanks to Ronin, I don't think it is a forgotten car.
Or anyone silly enough to buy one after they went out of warranty.

ca1ae33443c9b7645b2e130e3a9a28f0.jpg

Unlike a lot of its period brethren, I haven't seen one of these for some time now. They were bad, I know, but still, it was poor Europe's main transportation until at least 1995, so they build a ******** of them. It's almost as if there are little to no people out there willing to spend time and money to keep a ****** rustbucket like this on the road.

Back