The Formula 1 calendar development threadFormula 1 

The big issue is the front tires I believe.

In an LMP1 car, the front tires are close off from oncoming air meaning the front end doesn't need to bed sculpted to work around them.

In an F1 car, with these shorter wings, they're trying to send air around the tires with these complex wings. This is what I believe causes the issues that F1 has

EDIT: When lotterer drove the Caterham in 2014, he said it had a lot less downforce than his Audi if that's anything to go by

Lmp1 has more downforce in its lowest downforce le mans setting that f1 does at Monaco.

According to the frank dernie podcast I listened to on Motorsport magazine website most of thr aero work at the front of a F1 car is about is about stopping the air from the wheels upsetting the defuser

That's why Anthony Davidson reckons that the technical regulations should seriously restrict development of the front wing, if not go in for a standardised part.

So basically, over-elaborate front wings are killing the sport? Says a lot about the FIA's 'solution' to the overtaking 'problem' which involves widening the front wings.

So basically, over-elaborate front wings are killing the sport? Says a lot about the FIA's 'solution' to the overtaking 'problem' which involves widening the front wings.
Widening the front wing should help though. This means on the bottom level, the wheels should be covered meaning less surface area to force the air around. I doubt it will mean less complex wig but maybe slightly

F1 fanatic said that the front wings won't be the same width as the entire car, like they were from 2009-13, and will therefore be even more complex next year to manage the airflow, so ou may be wrong there.

There are a lot of tracks that F1 and other high downforce single seaters can race on, but despite a massive start straight, Catalunya is badly flawed for racing. At least at Monaco you can stay close enough for a cheeky divebomb in places.

Watching WSBK from Sepang right now, and some of changes to the circuit they're mentioning sound interesting.

They've added a fair degree of positive camber to many of the corners, and the surface itself is apparently very rough - seems that both are intended to help during wet races by adding more grip and improving drainage. I assume this would all lead to higher cornering speeds for F1, which could be cool - but maybe shorter braking zones and less overtaking? It will definitely have an effect on tire wear.

They've also reshaped the final corner, and added a bunch of negative camber to it, making it a much slower corner, and more challenging traction event on exit.

The USGP, does anybody beside myself believe that the race should be held on a Saturday as oppose to Sunday? I mean:

Like MotoGP, IndyCar, WSBK and NASCAR, F1 would join

and

F1 no longer has to compete with the NFL sunday games

just saying.....

The USGP, does anybody beside myself believe that the race should be held on a Saturday as oppose to Sunday? I mean:

and

just saying.....
No. Mainly because nobody outside of the USA gives a crap about the NFL

and

just saying.....

The audiences are different so it wouldn't really make a difference.

No. Mainly because nobody outside of the USA gives a crap about the NFL

I'd hate to bring this off topic, but the NFL has been selling out Wembley and there have been Australian and German players drafted in recent years.

But, don't let me stop you from your U.S. bashing.

90000 people from an audience of a few hundreds if millions who'd prefer to see F1 on a Sunday. Wow

I was pointing out that your usual anti-U.S. views are not found on fact.

I also said...

The audiences are different so it wouldn't really make a difference.

Also, is there any hard stats to back the "few hundreds of millions"? I constantly see that type of number thrown around for F1 but can never find anything backing it up.

It's weird that British motorsport has this cult of personality surrounding Silverstone. You've got Silverstone, which is good for Formula One, MotoGP and the WEC, and then everything else is built around the BTCC. I can't think of any other country that has just one circuit built for major events.

I can't think of any country that really has two circuits built for major events. Donington or Brands could probably take on Moto GP or the WEC with little change. No other circuit would want to take on F1. There's no money to be made from it. Rockington was the last circuit built in the UK to attract something major. Look how that turned out. Every other UK circuit is practically 60+ years old, they're from a different era when there was money to be made from hosting 'major' races. Unless you get government or local authority support, hosting a GP is going to leave a circuit out of pocket.

I can't think of any country that really has two circuits built for major events.

Germany has the Nurburgring and Hockenheim, France has Le Mans, Magny-Cours, and Paul Ricard, Spain has 10 billion different tracks, Portugal has Estoril and Algarve, Italy has Monza, Imola, and Mugello, Japan has Fuji, Suzuka, and Motegi, and the USA (amongst many others) has Indianapolis, Daytona, and COTA.

Just as a sample.

Germany has the Nurburgring and Hockenheim, France has Le Mans, Magny-Cours, and Paul Ricard, Spain has 10 billion different tracks, Portugal has Estoril and Algarve, Italy has Monza, Imola, and Mugello, Japan has Fuji, Suzuka, and Motegi, and the USA (amongst many others) has Indianapolis, Daytona, and COTA.

Just as a sample.

German circuits are in as much financial difficulty as Silverstone, hardly great examples. The French circuits other than LeMans, don't host anything of any worth these days. Portugal and Spain? :lol:

All the others you mention hold little more than national events.

So do we think someone in the Netherlands is "suddenly" going to find a big wad of cash to make Zandvoort or Assen F1 worthy?
If they try and touch Assen, heads will roll - the riders always complain that the massive downforce generated by Formula One cars displaces the surface.

Also, is there any hard stats to back the "few hundreds of millions"? I constantly see that type of number thrown around for F1 but can never find anything backing it up.

425 million say NBC.

The USGP, does anybody beside myself believe that the race should be held on a Saturday as oppose to Sunday?

I doubt it. A lot of countries still have Sunday as their traditional "day off".

So do we think someone in the Netherlands is "suddenly" going to find a big wad of cash to make Zandvoort or Assen F1 worthy?

If it's on the back of Ver-step-uppen's win then they'll use a Belgian track but just put Dutch flags up.

Zandvoort will be a logistics nightmare causing gridlock from Amsterdam, Utrecht, Den Haag to Zandvoort.
As soon as the sun is out all roads to the beaches are just parking lots for slow moving traffic.

Never ever going to happen anymore.

Assen would be the only logical option. But that means destroying a great non F1 track. And the people living close to the track are known to complain about noise.

If it's on the back of Ver-step-uppen's win then they'll use a Belgian track but just put Dutch flags up.
What happens if we see Vandoorne racing Verstappen?

Portugal and Spain?
Spain has Barcelona, Jerez, Valencia and Aragon. Most of their motorsport might be motorcycles - the Spanish motorsport federation has invested heavily in their junior programmes - but all four venues could host a Grand Prix.

I can't think of any country that really has two circuits built for major events.
Australia - we have Bathurst, Albert Park, Phillip Island, Adelaide and Surfers Paradise. The last two might be street circuits, but they use infrastructure from the Australian Grand Prix and the old ChampCar race.

If they try and touch Assen, heads will roll - the riders always complain that the massive downforce generated by Formula One cars displaces the surface.
Zandvoort probably isn't feasible. It's more of a touring car circuit than anything else. It would need a reconfiguration to cut some of the slower corners, and an extension to give the cars some space.

Canada has Montreal and to a lesser extent Mosport.
Argentina has Buenos Aires and Rio Hondo
You could argue Kyalami and Phakisa in South Africa
UAE has Abu Dhabi and Dubai
China has Shanghai, Zhuhai and to a lesser extent Ordos
Russia with Sochi and Moscow
Austria, Red Bull Ring and Salzburgring
Belgium with Spa and Zolder
South Korea has Yeongam and Inje
Brazil has Interlagos, Curitiba and Brasilia too.

Canada has Montreal and to a lesser extent Mosport.
Argentina has Buenos Aires and Rio Hondo
You could argue Kyalami and Phakisa in South Africa
UAE has Abu Dhabi and Dubai
China has Shanghai, Zhuhai and to a lesser extent Ordos
Russia with Sochi and Moscow
Austria, Red Bull Ring and Salzburgring
Belgium with Spa and Zolder
South Korea has Yeongam and Inje
Brazil has Interlagos, Curitiba and Brasilia too.

That section in Baku with most of the barriers in place.

CjNHp2jUUAAgDXi.jpg:orig

Back