The Formula 1 calendar development threadFormula 1 

That section in Baku with most of the barriers in place.

CjNHp2jUUAAgDXi.jpg:orig
Meh, the final turn at Monaco is just as narrow

Just so long as they don't do what they did with the original Baku City Challenge and try to scrub all the rubber off the circuit with detergent because they thought it looked bad on television, unaware of the need for that rubber - in the end, the temperature dropped so low that by morning parts of the circuit were covered by a thin patchwork of frozen detergent.

I don't know how anyone could find any sort of appeal in race tracks where the simple concept is just Follow-The-Leader as oppose tracks that ensure overtaking and battles.

Folks, this why MotoGP continue to excite as oppose to F1.

Wrong.

In fact, the emphasise just how wrong you are, I'm going to say it again:

WRONG!

MotoGP is exciting because the small shapes of the bikes means that riders can follow one another closely. That's not possible in Formula One because the cars generate lots of downforce and turbulent air, making it difficult for drivers to follow one another.

If it was as simple as you claim it to be, we wouldn't be having this discussion because trying to ensure overtaking has been the guiding principle behind circuit design for over a decade.

^ Even more than just aero, the small shape of the bikes mean that it is a lot easier to find a bikes width worth of space to overtake, and there is less of a length needed from just being alongside, to being ahead. As in, where an F1 car can gain 5 metres and still be braking for the corner wheel to wheel, a 5 metre gain in MotoGP would probably see the rider ahead into the same corner...

Seriously, enough with the boring street races already.
I don't know how anyone could find any sort of appeal in race tracks where the simple concept is just Follow-The-Leader as oppose tracks that ensure overtaking and battles.

Have you recently returned from the future, where you were able to confirm with your own eyes that Baku was a boring circuit which produced processional racing? Or are you basing what you're saying off pure imagination?

I seriously don't undetstand these "rwcing X is better than racing Y" people. Watch and enjoy both for crying out loud!

Motorsport is probably one of the less healthy sports overall, compared to ball and stick sports....and it seems that all that most motorsport fans want to do is bicker and fight amongst themselves over which is "better", when clearly they're just different. SMDH

How often do the MotoGP and F1 calendar share the same circuit? Two or three times per year? Do these tracks "ensure" overtaking and battles when the F1 arrives in town? You can't make a comparison based on tracks alone. You need to get it out of your head that tracks are the problem. As others above have already said, the actual dynamics and properties of the vehicles is the key difference in terms of 'excitement'.

I'm just watching the F3 Race 2 from RBR. So far, they've been very quite in regards to mentioning anything regarding expanding the track (unless I've missed it...possible). That said, the views of T1 and T2 clearly show that there has been significant work done, even though the actual camera angles seem to be trying to disguise that fact. Now on the grid for race 2, there's a shot looking up the main straight towards T1, and in the background, there's several big buildings that I don't ever remember seeing before. The look like they're built right where the old Hella Licht S used to be. The new layout looks to have a left-right chicane for turns 1 & 2, before passing beside these buildings going towards the old Tiroch curve. The turn-in and first apex of the chicane looks like it's just past the crest of the hill, pretty blind.

To satisfy my curiosity, I looked it up. This year it is 5 - COTA, Catalunya, Red Bull Ring, Silverstone and Sepang.

What leaps out there is that Formula One now uses that horrible final section which is great for bike racing but absolutely terrible for Formula One racing.

What leaps out there is that Formula One now uses that horrible final section which is great for bike racing but absolutely terrible for Formula One racing.
The irony is that it was created for Formula One. The problem was that the preceding corners were spacing the cars out too much, making passing practically impossible. The chicane was seen as a way to slow them down and bunch them up, and hopefully create passing opportunities into the first corner. But even that hasn't worked, since it is estimated that a driver needs to be two and a half seconds per lap faster than the car in front to stand any chance at overtaking. I doubt the problem could be resolved with anything less than a total reconfiguration of the final sector.

Could they not just go back to the way it was for F1 and keep the current section for bike races? Silverstone used to have slightly different car and bike configurations.

Could they not just go back to the way it was for F1 and keep the current section for bike races? Silverstone used to have slightly different car and bike configurations.
But as @prisonermonkeys said, that would string them out, reducing the chances of a turn 1 pass from slim to none.

I never had a problem with the last two corners. It's that long, long looping right hander that is the problem. Reprofile that and the cars would be closer together during the final sweep and down the long straight.

Remove the chicane, have the old penultimate turn and make the final corner a tighter 90 right, something like 3rd or 4th gear.

Giovanazzi's crash in the GP2 race shows why the "new" hairpin at turn 10 was needed.

Or just pack it in with the sodding downforce? Or maybe cover the front wheels as lmp1 cars don't seem to have the same problem and most of that aero work at the front is about preventing aero interference with the diffuser anyway.

Back