The Formula 1 calendar development threadFormula 1 

I never had a problem with the last two corners. It's that long, long looping right hander that is the problem. Reprofile that and the cars would be closer together during the final sweep and down the long straight.
I would be inclined to extend the final corner. At the moment, it goes through 90°; I would cut that down to 60° or 70° so that the penultimate corner becomes a quick right flick. I'd also tinker with Turn 12, moving in back and tightening it up.

Lets sets things a bit straight but this isn't about which is the better championship(as GP has its own issues when you have basically a situation where 2 factory teams dominate the grid) but rather the show...in this case the dominance of street circuits does absolutely nothing to give fans a show.

I've said this in many other threads before but what F1 need on the calendar is places like Motorland Argon, Mugello, Okayama, Sugo ,Motegi or even Fuji on the calendar as they're fast place which in turn has the opportunity to give fans a show.

I'm just watching the F3 Race 2 from RBR. So far, they've been very quite in regards to mentioning anything regarding expanding the track (unless I've missed it...possible). That said, the views of T1 and T2 clearly show that there has been significant work done, even though the actual camera angles seem to be trying to disguise that fact. Now on the grid for race 2, there's a shot looking up the main straight towards T1, and in the background, there's several big buildings that I don't ever remember seeing before. The look like they're built right where the old Hella Licht S used to be. The new layout looks to have a left-right chicane for turns 1 & 2, before passing beside these buildings going towards the old Tiroch curve. The turn-in and first apex of the chicane looks like it's just past the crest of the hill, pretty blind.

Here is the update (of sorts) on RBR:

http://www.racingcircuits.info/pro/news/2016/05/22/red-bull-ring-working-on-extension/#.V0HN6bgrL-g

Seems unlikely the extension would ever be used for big series like F1.

Lets sets things a bit straight but this isn't about which is the better championship(as GP has its own issues when you have basically a situation where 2 factory teams dominate the grid) but rather the show...in this case the dominance of street circuits does absolutely nothing to give fans a show.

I've said this in many other threads before but what F1 need on the calendar is places like Motorland Argon, Mugello, Okayama, Sugo ,Motegi or even Fuji on the calendar as they're fast place which in turn has the opportunity to give fans a show.
What "dominance" of street circuits are you talking about??? Of the 21 races, 6 are street courses. How is that dominance?

Of the 6, Australua and Canada typically produce pretty good races, Canada has produced some thrillers. Sochi and Singapore you could argue are not so great. Monaco, as much as I dislike the off track stuff, is still an intense test of driver skill - did you watch FP1 and FP2? And Baku is a complete unknown. So your complaint is based on 2 tracks???

The funny thing about your oppinion is that if you go back far enough, there were people making the exact opposite cry....that F1 needs more street circuits and fewer purpose built race tracks.

What do you mean by "give the fans a good show?" Do you mean position swapping like a NASCAR super speedway race? So far in 2016, how have we not seen a good show in every race so far?

Aragon would probably be alright, might be a nice switch from Catalunya.

Mugello would probably be horrible, as it's mostly medium and high speed with few heavy braking zones. My bet would be that Mugello would be as processional as Catalunya.

Why so many Japanese tracks? What's wrong with Suzuka? It's one of the best tests of driver skill on the calander.

Motegi is boring as 🤬 doesn't get more point and squirt than that.

Okayama is meh. Mostly medium and slow corners. The first sector is the only inspiring one. Also the circuit is no where near grade 1, and would need lots of upgrades.

Sugo is way to small...it would be a bull ring with F1 cars and all we'd hear is "blue flag blue flag blue flag". Also again, no where near grade 1.

I also think you underestimate how narrow Mugello, SUGO and Okayama are....making overtaking extremely difficult (kind of like a street circuit....)

Fuji is the only track you listed which I agree with...but again, not at the cost of losing Suzuka. Fuji is owned by Toyota, Suzuka by Honda, hence why we see F1 at Suzuka and WEC at Fuji. Unless Toyota gets back into F1, we won't be seeing F1 at Fuji any time soon.

And you still haven't answered how you already know that Baku will produce a boring race. What is that assumption based on?

I'd like to see the Chang circuit in F1 . It's already grade 1, made by tilke, but actually looks fun... Bring F1 to Thailand!

Chang is so....featureless though. It literally looks like a parking lot. The WSBK and Touring car races there have been alright, but still....doesn't do much for me.

Here is the update (of sorts) on RBR:

http://www.racingcircuits.info/pro/news/2016/05/22/red-bull-ring-working-on-extension/#.V0HN6bgrL-g

Seems unlikely the extension would ever be used for big series like F1.
Especially as the runoff at the first chicane seems to only be 5m long.
red%20bull%20ring%202.jpg

Supposedly the track extension is for WEC, who want to run a race here in 2017 or 2018
I doubt it - going by the picture posted, the new chicane won't be used by anything other than club competition. There's simply no run-off, and while the WEC might not have the same standards as Formula One, it does have standards.

Mugello might work for bikes, but that final corner would ruin any chance aero cars like F1 would ever have of overtaking.
And MotoGP would fight it tooth and nail. The riders always complain about the way the Formula One cars generate so much downforce that they creates ripples in the surface that threaten the stability of the bikes. I can't imagine that that would be popular going into San Donato.

The only way that it would work would be to build a new pit facility and start-finish straight with the cars leaving the old circuit ar Correntaio and rejoining at San Donato.

LEAVE MONZA ALONE!

Seriously, turn 1 was one of the best overtaking spots and I LOVED watching cars duel through (and sometimes in the gravel trap of) Curva Grande... The change above certainly doesn't look like it aids overtaking.

But hey, lap times are a second faster... So the race will end faster. Great, stoked...

LEAVE MONZA ALONE!

Quite.

However, the link doesn't say that Curva Grande is being eliminated at all; that's variant T1 while the "bypass" is T2 and T3, both of which will be suitable (it notes) for cars.

It does go on to describe a neutering of the Variante Ascari exit , the left-hand curb will be moved to the left by 3m so that it's easier to straight-line the chicane meaning that riders/drivers aren't pushed so far to the right. For me that should be the headline.

They've only got an extension through to 2020 for F1 and some people are speculating they're going through with these changes because they know the long term future for the circuit is bikes, not F1.

Looks cool, but will it help overtaking? Still won't be able to follow through Parabollica, and now have a high speed kink followed by a curved braking zone....certainly more challenging to drive, but not great for passing.

Looks cool, but will it help overtaking? Still won't be able to follow through Parabollica, and now have a high speed kink followed by a curved braking zone....certainly more challenging to drive, but not great for passing.

There's no change around Parabolica with the exception of safety aids?

I'm still about confused by the main document; I'd thought they were saying the T1 layout retained Curva Grande, now I'm not so sure. Need more coffee :D

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/06/01/new-monza-second-quicker-f1-cars-2017/

New Monza over a second faster for F1 – and Parabolica gravel will return

The home of the Italian Grand Prix will remove the Rettifilio chicane at the beginning of the lap, leaving a straight run to a revised sequence of bends replacing the Curva Grande.

monza-track-changes-2017.jpg
I'm a little uneasy about the first chicane though, that doesn't look like a lot of runoff would be available based on the angle of the long straight if a car goes off at full speed, the straight is just ahead of the corner.
image.jpeg

Edit: Didn't open the link with a picture :P.

Last edited:
Are there any circuits that have contracts with F1 beyond 2020?

Without looking up I don't know how many do but it was more about the extension length, only four years. It's usually more. Hungaroring for example was extended first to 2021 then another five years to 2026. Silverstone they signed a 17 year deal in 2009.

Are there any circuits that have contracts with F1 beyond 2020?
Silverstone until 2027 is the only one I know.

I'm not too sure how I feel about the change. Turn 1 wasn't a fantastic overtaking opportunity for F1, but Roggia most definitely was. They should tighten Lesmo 2 and Ascari up to turn that into an overtaking spot. Monza needs a section of slow corner-long straight-slow corner for overtaking, as they run with so little downforce they can't follow through faster turns.

Turns out the Parabolica will be part run off part gravel. Which means if you make a mistake you will still get away with it unless you run really wide.

This may just be a response to the return of Mexico City, and the ridiculous speeds they reached there in the high altitude. Monza are trying to say "No, we are the fastest track and therefore must stay". Having done the new turn 1 many times on rFactor, it is a ballsy corner to say the least, especially if they're trying to get right and brake at the same time.

it is a ballsy corner to say the least, especially if they're trying to get right and brake at the same time.
Which is going to lead to some spectacularly dangerous crashes if you have the wrong two drivers approaching it at 350kmh

Which is going to lead to some spectacularly dangerous crashes if you have the wrong two drivers approaching it at 350kmh
Considering last year's speed trap was 361, they would probably be even faster going into the new corner. My guess would be 370, 380 being a far out guess.
Now about a crash, thank goodness Maldonado is gone.

My main concern is DRS. The cars already have low rear DF. Take all that away and they're flying into that turn at 360+ kph with no rear downforce... My best guess to fix this would be end the DRS zone before the kink but I dunno if that's ever been done before...

My main concern is DRS. The cars already have low rear DF. Take all that away and they're flying into that turn at 360+ kph with no rear downforce... My best guess to fix this would be end the DRS zone before the kink but I dunno if that's ever been done before...
Suzuka turn 1. Plus DRS has little to no effect at Monza anyway

Back