The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,741 comments
Close trail aero on the way back from Koon-ni aerial gunnery range off the end of Osan AB runway in Korea. 1974 or five. The picture is taken from the RCP of the second OV (there were three of us). I was an IP and SEFE (flight examiner) . The out of focus silver thing in the foreground is the back of the LW-3B Zero Zero Ejection Seat and the Canopy Breaker on the top. The seat goes right through the Canopy. That is the yellow sea in the background.

Awesome photo :bowdown: But what does RCP, OV, IP and SEFE mean?

If you have more like these, please post 👍

edit;
Ahh I see what you mean with OV now. It's an OV-10 :D

g8tau5sumc6kyj20rkc4.jpg

xyadw4xiyxfn5305ilmd.jpg

767163485558964295.jpg

767163485672392263.jpg

767163485761736775.jpg

xrxqicddpesu2htmlslk.png

rcql15comgjtfpxsz40j.jpg

mkmcgvhfqho29oln6ruy.jpg

nck6ejtimez8rfbcunqi.jpg

cbr1ufre3jtk6eqchppz.jpg

hzdrhtxtzhyp1t4wuuin.jpg

ez4rfrrw4ggkndeonwz5.jpg

wbuml2grqmdsvapkjavj.jpg

c6tsvsye5fmjsiltjlag.jpg

ueayfprroufojhs3ozlc.jpg

bfwfgslcjis6kcazshga.jpg

xhxzezv02nrrechqypg8.jpg

yyveavpczgxodugx16rt.jpg

tumblr_m3a2yjj0Ym1qdl21ho1_1280.jpg

uh60626,1268066719,OV-10_01.jpg

As awesome as the EA-18G Growler is, it still makes me sad to see the EA-6B Prowler retire. The Prowler was the last plane of the original Grumman "Iron Works" legacy... :(

I'm only plane crazy for a few years, know as much as nothing about legacies, but I've recently read a book about electronic warfare and began to appreciate these kind of planes so much more.

What I like most about the Prowler, from a distance it looks like a fighter but it carries 4 people!

Flying OV-10 Bronco out of Osan AB which is now Headquarters for Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF).

Sorry we all talk in terms and abbreviations.
RCP rear cockpit
IP- Instructor Pilot
SEFE- Standardization and Evalutation Flight Examiner ( check pilot)

When I use Airfarceisms in the future I'll explain them as the page is mostly civillian.

Cheers and check 6

Photo for the day...same flight...later...three ship formation landing.
74 Osan OV on the  wing formation landing.jpg

Last edited:
In that crosswind landings video, at 5:50 I just knew that Air berlin pilot had no hope, but at 6:00 he brought it in with the best landing of the whole video, yawed it straight at EXACTLY the right moment, dead center runway, no bouncing or hunting for roll-level.

Delayed into Atlanta yesterday, delayed out of Atlanta - thanks to thunderstorms.

16486974184_735890abbd_o.jpg

Made my flights, only 30 minutes late getting home when it was all said and done.

Delayed into Atlanta yesterday, delayed out of Atlanta - thanks to thunderstorms.

Made my flights, only 30 minutes late getting home when it was all said and done.

Those storms were fun. Glad you were able to get out of this pollen wonderland 👍

AIR SHOW!!!!!! I posted this in the premium photo thread, but here it is for the riff-raff. :) My best vapor shot EVER! (F-22)

17109305376_ec37d8d17e_o.jpg

That's a really awesome shot!

I'm now at Leeuwarden AFB and my 120-400 just died on me. Thank god for the spare 300mm but this really sucks since I am just over the warranty period :(

That's a really awesome shot!

I'm now at Leeuwarden AFB and my 120-400 just died on me. Thank god for the spare 300mm but this really sucks since I am just over the warranty period :(

You could try seeing if the company would still honor the warranty. It never hurts to try.

You could try seeing if the company would still honor the warranty. It never hurts to try.

I think I will do that. It's a Sigma but bought it new in a store so I'll go to them first and see what they say..

Just finished shooting. Now going back to home, 2 and a half our drive but a pit stop at McDonald's first :D

If I'm not too tired I'll try to upload some photos :)

I didn't see any fire until the engine started dragging the ground. Looks like a landing gear or tire failure, as the aircraft is well and truly listing to starboard.

I didn't see any fire until the engine started dragging the ground. Looks like a landing gear or tire failure, as the aircraft is well and truly listing to starboard.

The photo under the video clip is from the same aircraft. It seems something happened before landing.

edit;
thy1_1024.jpg

thy2_887.jpg

thy3_937.jpg

thy4_123.jpg

thy5_67.jpg

thy6_36.jpg

2629076.jpg

27F9CC8F00000578-3055050-image-a-8_1429954844434.jpg

...landed on Istanbul Ataturk Airport's runway 05 at 10:22L (07:22Z) but rolled right just before touchdown causing the right engine and wing to contact the runway and a hard touch down. The crew initiated a go-around, then declared emergency due to an engine (V2527) inoperative. The crew subsequently reported an unsafe gear indication. The aircraft positioned for an emergency landing on runway 35L, touched down about 20 minutes after the go around, but with the right main gear collapsed the aircraft skidded on its right engine, with sparks and smoke trailing the engine, and veered right off the runway spinning nearly 180 degrees. The aircraft was evacuated via slides while emergency services started to spray the aircraft. There were no injuries, the aircraft received substantial damage to the right hand main gear, right hand engine and its pylon as well as to leading and trailing edge high lift devices at the right hand wing.

With the last photo above, I'm not sure if I should believe all of this.

Last edited:
The photo under the video clip is from the same aircraft. It seems something happened before landing.

That wasn't even remotely clear in the post...... Those words "same aircraft" would have been useful. :)

If the landing we saw was the second try because it nearly pancaked on the first one, then one wonders how they even managed a go-around....

Those things were...... odd. They didn't actually fly, they couldn't be used on solid terrain.... they were basically fast ships. And the way ahead HAD to be clear!!!!!!

I never quite understood the excitement about them, myself.

Ekranoplans could actually fly high enough to clear ships. And being basically a fast ship is exactly why they were (and atill are) being looked into. I personally love the idea myself.

The Pelican is an interesting idea, but how many airfields in the world can accommodate such a large plane? It seems like most airports barely have the space for an Antonov An-225, and the Pelican supposedly dwarfs it.

Back