The General Airplane Thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter Crash
  • 2,759 comments
  • 233,592 views
It seems odd that it would have wheels at all. Wouldn't it just dock at ports like an ekranoplan?
 
I wonder how many crashes there will be when this behemoth attempts water landings.
 
*** Says 'hi' back to Boeing ***

OK, the fact that it can fly makes it more useful. The Russian thing can't. Nor can it lift high enough to clear other surface traffic.

I still wonder how much ground effect advantage there is if you're going through 15- or 20-foot swells....
 
I still wonder how much ground effect advantage there is if you're going through 15- or 20-foot swells....

That's why it can increase it's altitude until there's calm water.
 
Which removes the added efficiency of the ground effects design. A rough sea is not a localized object like sea traffic, where it lifts to clear and settles back; it has to just be a giant fuel-hungry airplane, then.
 
Ukrainian_MChS_Mil_Mi-8_Belyakov.jpg




 
As part of the 70th anniversary of VE Day, there's a WWII flyover in Washington DC today at noon Eastern (right now). You can find the link to watch online at http://ww2flyover.org/live-webcast/. If you're near a TV, I believe they said it will be on CSPAN.
 
Those Tu-95s. :scared:
 
Managed to make a photo of two Typhoons and one Hawk training above Tallinn.

(Part of "Siil 2015" - "Hedgehog 2015" training)

jets_2_by_unitoone-d8sz6ua.jpg


jets_1_by_unitoone-d8sz6ji.jpg


And here are the photos of these planes from the defense force website: link
mai8-6.jpg


mai8-24.jpg


and some other aircrafts participating in the exercises.

mai8-29.jpg


mai8.jpg
 
I never quite understood the excitement about them, myself.

At the time of first development, Surface to surface, surface to air, anti-submarine warfare, search and rescue, supply delivery. All would have benefited in certain circumstances from a vessel that could respond at 300mph, and stop on station when it arrived there, whilst carrying a much higher payload than any of the medium range naval bombers. And at the time it looks like it would have been quite a headache for US surface to surface missile systems.

I'm guessing now, but I'm sure in rougher seas it could simply have "anchored up", or perhaps just carried on at a much reduced speed as a turbojet power boat?

Plus...

Just look at it...

791088365851861162.jpg


195msu6s5gizsjpg.jpg
 
At the time of first development, Surface to surface, surface to air, anti-submarine warfare, search and rescue, supply delivery. All would have benefited in certain circumstances from a vessel that could respond at 300mph, and stop on station when it arrived there, whilst carrying a much higher payload than any of the medium range naval bombers. And at the time it looks like it would have been quite a headache for US surface to surface missile systems.

I'm guessing now, but I'm sure in rougher seas it could simply have "anchored up", or perhaps just carried on at a much reduced speed as a turbojet power boat?

Plus...

Just look at it...

791088365851861162.jpg


195msu6s5gizsjpg.jpg
What...in all that's holy is that?! :odd:
 
I've seen the XB-70 in person twice. But I've never seen this photo before 👍

8HBLUl4.jpg


Bonus closeup

xFbrV7v.jpg


Anyone passing through Dayton, Ohio needs to visit the US Air Force museum and see the only remaining XB-70 in person. It's truly incredible.
 
Oh boy I did it now :lol: As I was shooting some statics, an NH90 came by very low and I had to swap cameras. Just stopped thinking and grabbed for my D300, as I was holding my D90. 404 brain not found. It fell on the lens, which is now broken :irked: It was the 18-105 D90 kit lens so it's not that bad, but a month ago my 120-400 died on me so I was already borrowing a 300mm F4 and waiting for an answer from Sigma.

And I didn't even get a good shot of the NH90 :ouch:
17719596518_58aba2037b_b.jpg


17907436185_2940472f46_b.jpg


F-16 doing a demo, but had problems with the sun. Took a few pics then just watched the show :)
17907430465_030d34f2cf_b.jpg


So this Navy NH90 came in low when I dropped my camera...
17284857774_2938d89b31_b.jpg

As I was shooting the F-16 earlier it was still in A(perture) instead of S(port) mode..

17907916721_a43f01cbaf_b.jpg


17907356065_57f02b127f_b.jpg


17907896651_9305127bb1_b.jpg


17904294382_9b9fd9a52b_b.jpg


17284743224_29dc46f92d_b.jpg


17880897606_845dd63d76_b.jpg

RUN!!!

:D 👍
 
Last edited:
Stunning pictures, but it's starting to take forever to load this page on my phone.
 
How do aircraft with out tailrotors (Coaxial helicopters like the Kamov KA-series, and tandem-rotor helicopters like the Chinook series) control their yaw?
 
How do aircraft with out tailrotors (Coaxial helicopters like the Kamov KA-series, and tandem-rotor helicopters like the Chinook series) control their yaw?
By varying the amount of torque to each rotor assembly. At higher speeds, many coaxial helicopters use actual rudders akin to fixed wing aircraft.
Also, the S-97 gets all of my YES.
 
As I was shooting the F-16 earlier it was still in A(perture) instead of S(port) mode..

Sorry about the drop tinkle tinkle, but please say that "S(port)" was a joke..... :-)
 
Back