The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,741 comments
The local Air Force base, Tyndall, is a training base for F-22s, so we see them all the time. The F-35 is being tested at Eglin, an hour west of here, and I saw one day a pair of F-35s on final approach to Tyndall.

When the -22 and -23 were competing, I wanted the 23 to win, because it was "cooler" looking, much less conventional. Didn't really know anything else about either one of them!

I'm an old guy, but I have no memory of the XB-70 except what I've read in the magazines and seen on TV and the neenernets. I was 4 when the program was cancelled, and in elementary school when the prototypes were flown for other supersonic tests in the mid-60s. Very cool and ambitiousl airplane, but SAMs and ICBMs made it obsolete before it really started.

I'm an old guy, but I have no memory of the XB-70 except what I've read in the magazines and seen on TV and the neenernets. I was 4 when the program was cancelled, and in elementary school when the prototypes were flown for other supersonic tests in the mid-60s. Very cool and ambitiousl airplane, but SAMs and ICBMs made it obsolete before it really started.

It may yet return in some form. Now that stealth and aerodynamics are less at odds with each other, and supercruise is a gold mine of a marketing term, large but fast tactical bombers could be a reality. Both the F-22 and YF-23 had proposed bomber versions to take advantage of stealth and high speed cruise. They weren't going to do Mach 3, but they could be considered modern interpretations of the Valkyrie. The FB-22 especially looked vaguely similar.

Since we're posting favorite planes, this one I think is mine. When it's in flight, it looks like nothing else. Well maybe except for the Soviet version.
There's only one left in the world and I posted a pic of it earlier. That thing is barely big enough for the hangar it's stored in at Wright Patterson AFB.
Here's another vote for the XB-70! I love that plane, although the test pilots said it was about as stable in flight as a bus on an F1 racetrack.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=592

"Factsheets : North American XB-70 Valkyrie

Note: This aircraft is located in the Research & Development Gallery on a controlled-access portion of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. The gallery will close until further notice beginning May 1, 2013, as part of budget reduction requirements due to sequestration.

The XB-70, one of the world's most exotic airplanes, was conceived for the Strategic Air Command in the 1950s as a high-altitude bomber that could fly three times the speed of sound (Mach 3). Because of fund limitations, only two were built, not as bombers, but as research aircraft for the advanced study of aerodynamics, propulsion and other subjects related to large supersonic aircraft.

The Valkyrie was built largely of stainless-steel honeycomb sandwich panels and titanium. It was designed to make use of a phenomenon called "compression lift," achieved when the shock wave generated by the airplane flying at supersonic speeds supports part of the airplane's weight. For improved stability at supersonic speeds, the Valkyrie could droop its wingtips as much as 65 degrees.

The No. 1 XB-70 made its initial flight on Sept. 21, 1964, and achieved Mach 3 flight on Oct. 14, 1965. The No. 2 airplane first flew on July 17, 1965, but on June 8, 1966, it crashed following a mid-air collision. The No. 1 airplane continued in its research program until flown to the museum on Feb. 4, 1969.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Span: 105 ft.
Length: 185 ft. 10 in. without boom; 192 ft. 2 in. with boom
Height: 30 ft. 9 in.
Weight: 534,700 lbs. loaded
Armament: None
Engines: Six General Electric YJ-93s of 30,000 lbs. thrust each (with afterburner)

PERFORMANCE:
Maximum speed: 2,056 mph (Mach 3.1) at 73,000 ft.
Cruising speed: 2,000 mph (Mach 3.0) at 72,000 ft.
Range: 4,288 miles
Service ceiling: 77,350 ft."

Nobody does badass quite like the Russians:

Agree! The Russians have a knack for making imposing looking vehicles. 👍

Foxbat

Mig%20-25_Foxbat_in_Afterburner_jpg.jpg

mig_25_foxbat_l3.jpg

Not strictly an airplane, but the Caspian sea monster takes the cake when talking about badass.

Lun-Class-Ekranoplan.jpg

Edit: Some more Russian goodness. That Mig 21 is tiny in comparison! :D

Last edited:
Jets aren't terrible inefficient. Especially turbofans, which believe it or not are sort of mini propellers that are powered by a combustion chamber that happens to produce a jet.

Aircraft can cruise at high speed, they don't have to expend energy to support their own weight, the wings hold them up, they only need to overcome drag which is relatively small. Combine those things and you end up being able to go really far, really fast. That said, the Harrier has never been a long range aircraft. There is a penalty for STOVL/VTOL that I don't always think is worth it (F-35B).

Last edited:
MarinaDiamandis
The best.

Ryanswannell
Ah, that would make sense. It's amazing how far they can fly considering how much fuel jet-engines must burn and how little room there looks to be for fuel.
You have to realise that they squeeze fuel into the fuselage just about anywhere they can, but it's still not a lot.

An F16 Viper flying an airshow demo will hit bingo-fuel very, very quickly. But, it will be the best sound you'll ever uear when you're staring straight down the pipes on afterburner.

Was anyone watching Airport Live on BBC 2 this evening? Really interesting program, obviously pitched at those with little aviation knowledge however still lots of interesting things in there.

It is on for the next 3 evenings this week aswell. :D

Speaking of the Ekranoplan "Caspian Sea Monster", this is an absolute must read.

http://englishrussia.com/2010/03/12/ekranoplan/

Tons of closeup photos of one sitting in a naval yard rusting away

Seen them before. Brilliant pictures of the hulking monster.👍 Kind of sad to see it rust away though.

But I also love European fighters like Typhoons and Gripens

Speaking of Swedish jets, this is my favorite.

Saab Draken (Dragon or Kite)

Draken_05.jpg

Saab_Draken.jpg

Beautiful and unique plane.

Seeing the Blackjack reminds me of seeing a B-1B several years ago at an airshow. Loudest thing I've ever been around!!!!!

Made several passes to show low-speed and high-speed wing configurations, and finished with a high speed pull-up to 45-degrees, rolled inverted and then pulled "up" to level inverted flight. A freaking bomber!!!!! pulling gs and flying inverted!

(OK, it probably never loaded the wings inverted, keeping positive gs during the pullout then rolling back upright, but it was in the sky with the pilots able to look up to see the ground.)

Last edited:
wfooshee
. A freaking bomber!!!!! pulling gs and flying inverted!

(OK, it probably never loaded the wings inverted, keeping positive gs during the pullout then rolling back upright, but it was in the sky with the pilots able to look up to see the ground.)
YouTube C-27J Spartan air displays. Transport planes shouldn't be doing that sort of thing. ..

Made several passes to show low-speed and high-speed wing configurations, and finished with a high speed pull-up to 45-degrees, rolled inverted and then pulled "up" to level inverted flight. A freaking bomber!!!!! pulling gs and flying inverted!
I refer you to the Vulcan again.

Seeing the Blackjack reminds me of seeing a B-1B several years ago at an airshow. Loudest thing I've ever been around!!!!!

I see that bomber doing a great airshow and raise you a Dauntless dogfighting.

Last edited:
No love for the Hunter?

3.jpg

I wish the RAF would do a C-130J display.

My uncle use to fly that plane (Hawker Hunter)for the Dutch Airforce and the Gloster Meteor before that. He went out of service and joined commercial flight when the first F-16s came into service in the Dutch Airforce.

And I was at an airshow over the weekend in Holland at Volkel Airforce base. They had a C-130J demo which I got some pics of at home. Cool plane and it also did some crazy maneuvers while shooting off flares. Anyway, here's some clips from the day... When I get home I'll add some pics to the post as well since I don't have them at the location I'm at now. Hope you enjoy these! :)

I refer you to the Vulcan again.

But a B-1B is over twice the weight of a Vulcan and 50% longer :sly:

Anyway when it comes to air show demos, pretty much any fighter is gonna be bingo fuel by the end of the demo. All that glorious afterburner usage sucks up gas lol

And today was the fastest I have ever removed and installed an ERJ thrust reverser assembly. Good thing ERJ's use clamshell reversers instead of cascade...

The Dakota DC-3 for me, once of the all time greats. It's hard to argue with a plane brought into service in the 30's that service in WWII and beyond, helped revolutionise air freight and saw the birth of the airline industry and is still being used today 👍.

preview_douglas-dc-3-c-47-dakota_src_1.jpg

On BBC 2 tonight at 8pm there is a showed called "Airport LIve" that the company I work for will be featuring. Dallas Campbell (The Gadget Show, Bang Goes The Theory) will be attempting to land an A380 in one of our simulators.

^ I agree. That is also one of my all-time favs, also because of Top Gun :D

On BBC 2 tonight at 8pm there is a showed called "Airport LIve" that the company I work for will be featuring. Dallas Campbell (The Gadget Show, Bang Goes The Theory) will be attempting to land an A380 in one of our simulators.

Interesting, think I'll check it out then tonight. That'll be 9pm here if Im not mistaken.

I love the F-14 as well. Such a beautiful machine with the wings wept back.

I'm also a big fan of the F-18 because reasons. I love what the Blue Angels do with it and I think it's also very pretty. I also wish they were all painted up like this

Retro Hornet by mvonraesfeld, on Flickr

The F/A 18 is just bad-ass. I still recall how McDonnell Douglas gloated in one of its print ads over a successful dogfight by two F/A 18 pilots in the Gulf War. They were on a bombing run and had a tussle with two MiG 21s. They took them on and took them out without jettisoning their payload. :D

After that, the Navy took it pretty much for granted that they could send F/A 18s on strike missions with the full expectation that they'd be able to knock out any enemy air cover along the way.

Back