The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,741 comments
Today I found out some DC3s have been converted to be fitted with turbo-props..

1494502.jpg

4162358000_94ff9aaa11_b.jpg

Seeing DC-3's got me thinking. How exactly do you tow or a pushback taildragger of this size from a terminal? I've seen the towbars used on a P-51 Mustang's forward gear, and they're relatively compact and can easily fold/extend to attach, but the ones on a DC-3 must be huge.

Dan
Seeing DC-3's got me thinking. How exactly do you tow or a pushback taildragger of this size from a terminal? I've seen the towbars used on a P-51 Mustang's forward gear, and they're relatively compact and can easily fold/extend to attach, but the ones on a DC-3 must be huge.
Never seen a DC3 needing dragged, but i believe all draggers are lifted from the back.

That's been done by a number of firms. You can even fly it in FSX.
Yeah lol, first search for BT67 provided me with an Avsim link.

Man. FSX looks like a lot of fun, especially with mods and multiplayer now. I'd love to play it *cough* B-2 Spirit *cough*, but there's no way in hell my laptop wouldn't be able to handle it, and the equipment required to play is expensive, too.

Dan
Man. FSX looks like a lot of fun, especially with mods and multiplayer now. I'd love to play it *cough* B-2 Spirit *cough*, but there's no way in hell my laptop wouldn't be able to handle it, and the equipment required to play is expensive, too.
FSX Steam Edition runs rather well, compared to that of the old box version.

Umm... First, there's no "28" in the MiG lineup, second, these don't look like any MiGs at all.

It was a joke about the movie Top Gun, a movie I have seen more times than I probably care to admit. F-5s were used in the movie and stated to be a new cutting edge MiG design.

Oh neat, had no idea this thread was around.

Today I found out some DC3s have been converted to be fitted with turbo-props..

1494502.jpg

4162358000_94ff9aaa11_b.jpg

Thats interesting. Would those be Pratt & Whitney by any chance?

Welcome to this party, RACECAR! I am still relatively inexperienced with aircraft, but I'm trying.

I began thinking a bit about the Icon A5 I learned about some time ago. I really want to imagine possibly personal aircraft to be about as accessible as having a jet ski or something. Imagine recreational flight being as fun and as accessible as some other pieces of personal craft. It is a vast possibility, yet you do need to have a lot of training to properly fly aircraft. Until then, you will probably be best served trying to fly in Cessna light planes or something.

Loved aircraft since I was 5 so while I haven't been as crazy with as I have been with cars for a while, I still am quite into them.

Anyhow, I find it odd that we see these other lesser known variants of planes in games yet we only ever see the Mirage 2000-5 but not the 2000-C or the F1:

Not sure what it is about them, but turboprops are more interesting to me than regular business jets. I'm talking about King Airs, PC-12s, and P180s. Cessna Citations (except for the Citation X), Learjets, and Hawkers are just not as unique in my opinion.

Dan
Not sure what it is about them, but turboprops are more interesting to me than regular business jets. I'm talking about King Airs, PC-12s, and P180s. Cessna Citations (except for the Citation X), Learjets, and Hawkers are just not as unique in my opinion.

I think its just the regular business jets being so common, that they don't really seem all that interesting (though I've seen quite a few King Airs here in Dallas all my life so there's THAT exception).

My personal favorite Turboprop (and something I have yet to still see in person or at all) is the Piaggio P180

Piaggio_P-180_II_ext.jpg

Loved this thing ever since I first saw it on a recording of Paris Air Show 87'

I think its just the regular business jets being so common, that they don't really seem all that interesting (though I've seen quite a few King Airs here in Dallas all my life so there's THAT exception).

My personal favorite Turboprop (and something I have yet to still see in person or at all) is the Piaggio P180

Piaggio_P-180_II_ext.jpg

Loved this thing ever since I first saw it on a recording of Paris Air Show 87'

I haven't seen one up close yet, but one flew over me very briefly. Hopefully I will encounter one at some point. I've got a list of planes I need to see in my life, and the P.180 is very high on it.

Dan
Really?
IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2558.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

I once fueled a Piaggio Avanti back in 2008 at my last job:

IMG_1453s.jpg

They take fuel soooo slowly too, as if their fuel fill lines were the size of garden hoses...

I heard it takes 15 minutes to put in 150 gallons. Yikes.

I must say... these Piaggio planes are quite lovely. Certainly the Piaggio P180 RACECAR posted is a stylish plane. I keep thinking of those three-wheel and four-wheel motorbikes when I hear of Piaggio. Not sure if the Piaggio scooters and the planes are the same company or not.

Back