The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,737 comments
US Navy F-18s against Iraqi MiG-21s is a horribly one sided affair, even if it was a wing of Fishbeds.

Super Hornets do put on a good air show though, and it's an incredibly versatile replacement for the numerous platforms it replaced in the carrier groups.

Even so, that's three cars worth of bomb load... :D ...Like shooting fish in a barrel, but with dumbells strapped to your shotgun. :lol:

In case any of you guys are flight sim enthusiasts (seems likely), there's a DCS World sale on until the 30th. All of the modules are 60% off except Flaming Cliffs 3 which is 40% off, if I wasn't saving for a graphics card I'd be picking up UH-1H and FC3 right now. The A-10C and P-51D are utterly incredible though.

I will definitely be posting in this thread in the near future. I had a trip to Nellis AFB a few years back. It was raining, so I was forced to use a crappy camera. I still managed to get some good shots of it.

I was planning on going to Aviation Nation this November, but what do you know... it was cancelled.

http://www.nellis.af.mil/aviationnation/

10216137.jpg

7726011432_daf3f3821d_z.jpg

104wAC64.jpg

In case any of you guys are flight sim enthusiasts (seems likely), there's a DCS World sale on until the 30th. All of the modules are 60% off except Flaming Cliffs 3 which is 40% off, if I wasn't saving for a graphics card I'd be picking up UH-1H and FC3 right now. The A-10C and P-51D are utterly incredible though.

How much are they regularly? I want that game so bad but I definitely don't have a computer good enough for it. Might just try it anyway just to get the deals. Thanks for the heads up 👍

edit: another question, does DCS support 14-year-old Microsoft Sidewinder joysticks? :D

Also, this is really cool. Modern aircraft made into vintage aviation posters. I might pick up a few of these :D

http://www.squadronposters.com/

Last edited:

I would get that apart from I can't even let off a missile in a Russian aircraft in LOMAC. I had to study the manual for a few hours before I could even get a Sidewinder to hit a target. :lol:

^ Can't wait to see one of those fly in real life... but will probably still be a long time before we see one in Europe.

Even so, that's three cars worth of bomb load... :D ...Like shooting fish in a barrel, but with dumbells strapped to your shotgun. :lol:

In this case, the ordnance weight was probably of little importance. I'm not familiar with the incident, but fully BVR capable Hornets with AMRAAM or AIM-7M would almost be guaranteed to slaughter short legged, primarily WVR older generation MiG's. They would see them first (especially with AWACS and jamming on their side), shoot them first, and probably not need to take a second look once burning metal started falling.

Swing role aircraft don't really work against enemies with similar technology. Though I guess there is always that small chance. There was one MiG-25 pilot that evaded about a dozen US fighter using the MiG's ridiculous speed. Makes you wonder what would have happened in the F-12 ever went into service.

I definitely support this. DCS is excellent, and good things are coming both this year and next. Advanced flight models for F-15 and Su-27, new game engine, and new terrain.

^ Can't wait to see one of those fly in real life... but will probably still be a long time before we see one in Europe.

They've been there already.

Sorry if this is totally off topic from the current discussion..

But my favorite plane has to be the X-31. It was (in my opinion) an amazing and overall extremely cool aircraft until ignorance brought it to an end.

For it's time, the technology it contained was on the leading edge and was truly stunning.

EDIT: Speaking of the F-35,(don't know if any of you have discussed this plane or not yet, but if not then you should check it out!) just thought I should add that I live very close to the NASJRB here in Fort Worth, and Ive been very lucky with being able to see one occasionally flying over I-35 (a nearby highway/freeway/motorway/call it what you want).

Really really cool plane. Hope you all who live away from the area get to see them in action soon!

Last edited:
The X-31 was only ever meant to be a test aircraft. The technology contributed to later fighters, as was the case with the X-29.

The X-31 was only ever meant to be a test aircraft. The technology contributed to later fighters, as was the case with the X-29.

Yes. I'm very aware of this. I'm talking about how the first X-31 crashed at Edwards due to a series of overlooks which brought the plane to the ground in a crash.

One of the most awesome planes of all time:

Pilot_Neil_Armstrong_and_X-15_-1_-_GPN-2000-000121.jpg

The pilot in this picture is none other than Neil Armstrong.

I have this plane in Flight Simulator X (FSX) but I'm still learning how to operate its systems. It's... unique.

Speaking of FSX, I'll be taking my A2A B-17G out for a spin later on this morning. :)

Blitz187
The Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford 2010. It was awesome, and the display of thrust vectoring at take-off was phenomenal. The commentary was damn good too.

It was also there 2 years previous, but didn't display because of terrible weather.

How come the F-22 has a yellow/green cockpit cover? Is it something to do with reducing the suns brightness when at high altitudes?

Have some DH88 Comet.

800px-DH.88_Comet_Racer_2010.jpg

Such a beautiful machine.

Last edited:
They've been there already.

The Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford 2010. It was awesome, and the display of thrust vectoring at take-off was phenomenal. The commentary was damn good too.

It was also there 2 years previous, but didn't display because of terrible weather.

I shouldve been more specific and said Holland. :P Im jealous though! F-22 is one the new age jets I really want to see.

One of the most awesome planes of all time:

The pilot in this picture is none other than Neil Armstrong.

I have this plane in Flight Simulator X (FSX) but I'm still learning how to operate its systems. It's... unique.

As a kid this was my ALL-TIME favorite X plane. Not many planes reach the speeds and altitudes this one did. You can imagine how excited I was when I finally got to view this beauty in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. :D

That's nothing compared to Magnus Effect aircraft

Some crazy looking 20's-30's aircraft experimented with the idea, hard to find info on them though.

As a kid this was my ALL-TIME favorite X plane. Not many planes reach the speeds and altitudes this one did. You can imagine how excited I was when I finally got to view this beauty in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. :D

Not many, indeed. Just one, in fact; the Space Shuttle.

By the way, here's a pic I took at the MAAM show two weeks ago:

201306101604_Yankee_Lady.jpg

Bump! :D

Found a photo of a SEPECAT Jaguar that I thought would be appreciated here

zB8cPzt.jpg

And a time lapse of an F/A-18 launching off the Carl Vinson

US_Navy_120111-N-DR144-083_An_F-A-18_Hornet_launches_from_the_flight_deck_aboard_the_Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier_USS_Carl_Vinson_%28CVN_70%29.jpg

And this Spitfire starting up has been my wallpaper for a while now :D

esCemkx.jpg

Also, Airbus engine fails on takeoff. It either sucked something up, or a mechanic is going to have some explaining to do...

Last edited:
Back