The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,795 comments
So, I decided to watch something that I wouldn't usually watch, and I decided on When They Cry. I'm only on the third episode, and I can already tell it is messed up.

1555586_618709828202332_993816560_n.jpg

While I'm not sure if that's aimed at me or not, this is hilarious and it really should be shown to more people.

Higurashi happens in arcs. I don't think it's all one continuous story. Rather it's more like: "Here's timeline A. yada yada happens, yada yada resulted". Then after the big conclusion, they then move on: "and now here's timeline B, this time that happens, and this is the result."

It sounds dumb, but it will have purpose in Higurashi Kai... and Rei I believe.

re: Miyazaki and the current state of the anime industry

The status quo won't really affect me much to be honest. I only watch to be entertained, and most of the shows I've been watching succeeded in doing so. Whether all I'll be watching is 100% moeblob or something with a true impact, if I can get a kick out of it, I won't complain.

It's just up to the producers, studios, etc. to create something that deviates from the norms, something that stands out from the rest. I'm merely part of the audience. I only go wherever I feel like going.

I don't care if I get called "blind" or a "wimp with low standards" by some of you guys. I never wanted to be that guy who keeps digging and digging to find diamond in the rough, only to see a lot of rocks and soil and then constantly bombard your ears with obnoxious and pointless blabber. It's just a waste of breath not to appreciate something for what it is.

I think you'll understand the low/high-standard-issue (or art, since this is animation we're taking about) a lot better when you start questioning things. You'll find something that's had a lot of thought put into it presents itself of much greater respectable and appreciable value. That's where you can distinguish between entertainment and very good entertainment... for lack of a better word.

Want to understand what I mean real quick? Try creating your own story. Make up a story of your own and try to make it something as special and outstanding as you can that remains coherent to its setting and premise. Make the character have depth, drive, goals, everything that makes him or her likable and interesting. See how difficult it is to get a story right and then ask yourself just how much work an author - any author of any show of your choice - put into designing their characters and plot.

Of course, this is my take on how I view things; from the perspective of an artist, someone who observes and wonders, who has experience trying to create and understand visual art, graphics (the language and symbolism within), animation and rich story-writing. I believe my ideas on the subject have at least some merit. Take it how you will.

Foreword: I ain't "forcing" you to do anything. The choice of change and new perspective is entirely up to you; your decision. I'm shedding light on the subject.

Last edited:
I think you'll understand the low/high-standard-issue (or art, since this is animation we're taking about) a lot better when you start questioning things. You'll find something that's had a lot of thought put into it presents itself of much greater respectable and appreciable value. That's where you can distinguish between entertainment and very good entertainment... for lack of a better word.

Foreword: I ain't telling you to do anything. The choice of change is entirely up to you; your decision, your responsibility (thus don't pin any silly blame on me).

lol I'm not blaming you, I'm not blaming anyone here at all. I get what the point you're bringing up, but eh.

I don't get the need to elevate my standards if I only consider watching anime as a hobby. I can appreciate a show that's worthy of 10/10 even for guys like you, but like I said, I'm just part of the audience. I'm not a critic. Anything can have flaws, but why should I worry about flaws if it doesn't really ruin the entire show? Making a big deal out of a simple flaw is dumb.

You're saying the decision to change is up to me and I should be responsible for whatever consequence awaits me... well, I don't understand why I should worry a lot about my tastes when watching anime is simply a pastime for me. It's not like my life revolves around anime anyway. I've got university matters to worry about, I've got videogames as an alternative to watching anime, I've also got software I hardly use like Photoshop and Vegas Pro. I may meet someone in the near future who walks up to my face and say "your taste in anime is absolutely trash", but why do I have to be insulted by that remark? It's just opinion, the same can be said whenever I say a show is horrible. It's just opinion. It may be my own opinion, but at the end of the day, it's just opinion. It does not prove anything at all.

I'll reiterate: I watch anime to be entertained, not to criticize. I watch something because I just want to have a good time, not because someone tells me "you should watch this because it isn't otaku bait". My preferences are mine and mine alone, I don't let it get altered by anyone else.

tl;dr "value" is too subjective a concept. People have different tastes. I watch what I want.

Simon could've seen a spot up there.

I too was like "wut" when I saw Ikari Shinji, but their reasoning sounds interesting and acceptable.

Is it bad that I only recognize 5-6 people from that list?

Maybe bad, but it just means you've yet to see a lot of older anime. The list is more or less outdated. Granted, there hasn't been a lot of great anime in the last... er, decade, and even less great characters, but I would have expected to see Homura in there representin' the new wave of shows. I would have liked to see Harlock or Emeraldas in there as well, but as usual, Matsumoto is overlooked.

Their argument as to why Shinji is the best character was actually a good one, in a surprise turn of events for IGN, but I would never say that Shinji was the greatest anime character ever. Not when Kamina exists, not when Homura exists, and certainly not when Chiyo's dad exists.

Of the 25, I know of 20 of those characters (21, but narutard I am not) and have seen all but two of their respective anime series. (I started but never finished Astro Boy and i'm reading the Berzerk manga series)

Their argument as to why Shinji is the best character was actually a good one, in a surprise turn of events for IGN, but I would never say that Shinji was the greatest anime character ever. Not when Kamina exists, not when Homura exists, and certainly not when Chiyo's dad exists.
Hideaki Anno, writer and director of the Evangelion series, went through a serious bout of depression while making the show and like a true artist he poured all of that emotion and despair into his work. Each of those characters is a piece of him at his worst, immortalized in media. No character represents his emotions more than Shinji. Through the boy Shinji, who is tasked with defeating giant demons trying to destroy his world, we get an intimate peek at the man behind the production trying to defeat his own personal demons.

Shinji is a mirror of all the things depression teaches a person to hate about themselves; he's not an exit door to a fantasyland. There's nothing wrong with escapist fantasy, but it's not the only thing anime can be used for, and Shinji's legacy is that he was perhaps the most emotionally true-to-life character in anime history.

Having a second look at the WIP figurine, @Cano, I'm actually really taken by the potential of it:

m60d2O2.png
y1cLLYI.png
CaQqf89.png

The hair is modeled just right imo. The bangs are sectioned off in balanced sections that it's pleasing to the eye. There isn't an overwhelming number of "pieces", and the sizes vary which support the natural look of hair. The long strands in the back are captured blowing in the wind, as well as her two ribbons on the back of her sailor uniform. That already is infinitely more interesting and mesmerizing than hair straight down, even though she isn't in the middle of an action. From the profile view, I'm given the impression by her arms plain down to her side that this is a determined girl simply on a great journey. That's it. The story is so simple, but it's not dull. (I know we know this already, but see it from the view of someone who has no idea who she is.) This matches her character perfectly. She ain't the action-type, but she ain't timid. This pose (so far) captures it extremely well.

I didn't notice it before, but in the second picture, do you see those two rings? Oh you bet that's what you think it is. That is quite a clever tease and I'm damn looking forward to see this coloured. Only thing that bugs me is that it's being done by some dude who is responsible for these sculpts: http://myfigurecollection.net/encyclopedia/23770_ozawa_shingo. I'm not too bothered by the form on Homura, I'm only worried the colour won't turn out so great. Then again, he did make that Ayanami Rei which didn't turn out so bad.

Back