The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
In an obscure way, I'd say I understood some of it. I didn't follow all of her logic though.

I couldn't really follow her logic either. I guess I should give it a rewatch some time later. But if you can, could you explain the parts you did understand?

@Technicolors

The "Shiki" (from now from on will be referred to as "TN Shiki") he was speaking to was not exactly another version of Shiki, but rather an embodiment, a product of what Shiki was made of.

Summarized interpretation of the characters
It took a while, but this is what I'm getting from this in a nutshell:

Imagine a small girl. She has no personality. She has nothing. Her name is Shiki.

One day, she gets personalities "injected" into her. Those personalities mix and mingle with each other.

That personality, inside Shiki's body is what they refer to as Shiki's "True Nature", hence why I nicknamed her TN Shiki for the purpose of this post. TN Shiki is still the same girl. It's not a new body. It's the aftermath of Shiki blending with those add-ons she received.

If it makes it easier to understand, TN Shiki exists inside. Having a tangible personified version of TN Shiki just makes the conversation between her and Kokuto easier to absorb.

If that's all you were wondering, you don't need to read the rest of this post.

Basically in this OVA, she went on a discourse after questioning the origin of a personality.

Kokuto says the personality is one's intelligence, and resides only in the mind. He defines "intelligence" as the "activity in your brain".

TN Shiki claims it doesn't make sense. If a personality is housed inside the mind, it's based purely on intelligence. It takes more than intelligence alone to create a personality in human form. If our brains (intelligence) were all we needed to survive, we wouldn't need to have physical bodies. If we tried to develop a "personality" solely on intelligence alone, we wouldn't have a reference point to reflect on self-identity since there would be no past product to refer to ourselves with (i.e. a physical body that contains the stuff we put into making it), thus it is not possible to identify a real personality to begin with.

TN Shiki suggests instead that one's intelligence is derived from the creation of a physical body. While in a human body, the experiences you went through being raised as a human affects the kind intelligence you develop. The human influence along with the intelligence you gained is what make up a personality.

TN Shiki is a special exception because she was an empty vessel before receiving those "personality injections". I thought I had something on this subject, but the more I thought about it, the more I understood it even less.

Spent nearly 4 hours writing and revising all of that. Wow.

In all of the 7 chapters containing hours of video, it was just this one 27-minute video that got me thinking.

-> Eva x Twister:

11024595_10153121950854320_7495259587578701889_n.jpg

1962627_10153121950759320_8147177928042565492_n.jpg

:boggled:

@Technicolors

The "Shiki" (from now from on will be referred to as "TN Shiki") he was speaking to was not exactly another version of Shiki, but rather an embodiment, a product of what Shiki was made of.

Basically in this OVA, she went on a discourse after questioning the origin of a personality.

Kokuto says the personality is one's intelligence, and resides only in the mind. He defines "intelligence" as the "activity in your brain".

TN Shiki claims it doesn't make sense. If a personality is housed inside the mind, it's based purely on intelligence. It takes more than intelligence alone to create a personality in human form. If our brains (intelligence) were all we needed to survive, we wouldn't need to have physical bodies. If we tried to develop a "personality" solely on intelligence alone, we wouldn't have a reference point to reflect on self-identity since there would be no past product to refer to ourselves with (i.e. a physical body that contains the stuff we put into making it), thus it is not possible to identify a real personality to begin with.

TN Shiki suggests instead that one's intelligence is derived from the creation of a physical body. While in a human body, the experiences you went through being raised as a human affects the kind intelligence you develop. The human influence along with the intelligence you gained is what make up a personality.

TN Shiki is a special exception because she was an empty vessel before receiving those "personality injections". I thought I had something on this subject, but the more I thought about it, the more I understood it even less.

Spent nearly 4 hours writing and revising all of that. Wow.

In all of the 7 chapters containing hours of video, it was just this one 27-minute video that got me thinking.

Thanks man.

So essentially, she's discussing to Kokuto about existentialism? The origins of the human mind? If that's the case then the past few chapters were her finding her true nature? It wasn't necessarily the killing-spree Shiki that manifested the chapter prior to the epilogue?

Sorry about taking up your time. You don't have to answer that if you don't want to.

Not to worry. This kind of discussion is what I longed for in this thread.

So essentially, she's discussing to Kokuto about existentialism? The origins of the human mind? If that's the case then the past few chapters were her finding her true nature? It wasn't necessarily the killing-spree Shiki that manifested the chapter prior to the epilogue?

Pretty much I guess.

In Murder Speculation B, we learn Shiki had grew up following her grandfather's philosophy that humans can only kill one person in their lifetime. Because of that, she has never actually went all the way in a murder before. Makes you wonder what she's been doing in the rest of the chapters.

The murders that happened in Murder Speculation B was done by Shirazumi who was all dressed up to look like Shiki.

Shiki herself has been craving for murder for a very long time ever since the male Shiki died. It was her male side that was raised on murder; it was his way of life. The female Shiki, at the end of the day, simply longed for Kokuto's companionship... well that's what they said. But that doesn't make sense if male Shiki is already dead. TN Shiki reveals the cravings for murder female Shiki kept having originated from her (she being a collective personality of both Shiki personalities).

I was just reminded of Saint Onii-san (Saint Young Man).

"This is some awful stuff...."

is what I'd say if I a devote Christian or Buddhist. I find it amusing they imagined deities as ordinary people enjoying a vacation.

Edit: That was pretty amusing. It's about as bad as the funny Jesus pictures people spread all over the internet.

Last edited:
Not to worry. This kind of discussion is what I longed for in this thread.

Pretty much I guess.

In Murder Speculation B, we learn Shiki had grew up following her grandfather's philosophy that humans can only kill one person in their lifetime. Because of that, she has never actually went all the way in a murder before. Makes you wonder what she's been doing in the rest of the chapters.

The murders that happened in Murder Speculation B was done by Shirazumi who was all dressed up to look like Shiki.

Shiki herself has been craving for murder for a very long time ever since the male Shiki died. It was her male side that was raised on murder; it was his way of life. The female Shiki, at the end of the day, simply longed for Kokuto's companionship... well that's what they said. But that doesn't make sense if male Shiki is already dead. TN Shiki reveals the cravings for murder female Shiki kept having originated from her (she being a collective personality of both Shiki personalities).

We could do more, but...

Oh yeah, I remember that. And when you think about it, she never really did commit a genuine homicide. Most likely because female Shiki was holding SHIKI back
Wasn't she finding herself in the early chapters? Not initially but as she continued meeting people like Enjou.

I want to clarify, but the male Shiki is a manifestation, or is it a physical being that exists, like you and I? I asked this because Kokuto can see and talk to the male Shiki, so I thought male Shiki can be both ways.

Also, what role did Araya play exactly? I know he acted as the central antagonist but what significance does he play throughout the series? I guess during the Paradox Spiral chapter he tried to attain the Origin hence his role as the antagonist. But I can't weave together his involvement with Shiki.

----------------

EDIT: Finished Ping Pong the Animation, and dang I've been missing out! Such a heart-warming show

Last edited:
I was very surprised to find that pomf.se and nazr.in (file hosting and URL shortener, repsectively) still exist. I learned about those sites more than two years ago and they still seem to be working, although nazr.in is in Japanese.

Shigatsu please, stop tugging on our heart strings more than you need to. We know it's coming. Don't stall for another episode!

We could do more, but...

Oh yeah, I remember that. And when you think about it, she never really did commit a genuine homicide. Most likely because female Shiki was holding SHIKI back
Wasn't she finding herself in the early chapters? Not initially but as she continued meeting people like Enjou.

I want to clarify, but the male Shiki is a manifestation, or is it a physical being that exists, like you and I? I asked this because Kokuto can see and talk to the male Shiki, so I thought male Shiki can be both ways.

Also, what role did Araya play exactly? I know he acted as the central antagonist but what significance does he play throughout the series? I guess during the Paradox Spiral chapter he tried to attain the Origin hence his role as the antagonist. But I can't weave together his involvement with Shiki.

I did some reading. Yes, ever since she woke up from her coma, she could not reconnect her old memories with her current identity. She spends this time trying to figure out more about herself.

The male Shiki is one of the two personalities that reside in Shiki's one and only vessel. There is no other body.

You can read all about Araya on Type Moon's wiki.

Last edited:
@nk4e - Even if I posted those images earlier, I hope you stay safe out there and keep us in touch! We'll miss you here in TGAT!

BT-> Since finishing Another, I'm currently on a binge for Chuunibyo...for 5 episodes in a row!

2012-12-02-544632.png

:)

Thanks guys<3 I will probably keep in touch someway or another. Like I said in the member of the week thread. I will always come back to gtp for a reason. I just didn't want to ninja poof and only having a selected few to find out on fb.

^ 👍

-> ...
SVX
pff, I enjoyed it that much I watched about 12 episodes a day. :lol:
^ Don't provoke my abilities, boy! :lol:

-> Just finished Chuunibyou S1, will watch S2 after I try this one:

Shinmai Mao no Testament
The-Testament-of-Sister-New-Devil-02.jpg

^ Hmm, I wonder. Out of these Devil-Babes, Mio against Rias Gremory?

:)

Just watched My Neighbor Totoro and now watching Princess Mononokeoo
Why am I hooked on studio Ghibli Films?

And I just finished watching Endless Eight.....

Then I saw this discussion-rant

I read the comments for that vid, especially the one from John Bright.

All I have to say is..... "Interesting" . However I have to determine the worth of watching Endless Eight after I see The Disappearance Movie

I need to go play Driveclub now.... My brain...

Finally started watching A Certain Scientific Railgun after not watching anime for weeks (excluding the odd Grisaia Specials episode).

Very very enjoyable, OST is amazing and pacing is off to a great start unlike Index's first few episodes. Will watch more tomorrow most likely, looking forward to it. :D

Misaka and Kuroko's brief shower 'endeavor' was, er... interesting to say at the least. Geez, her obsession for her really stepped up with Railgun.

Ruiko is also mega mega cute, and Misaka is just the same amazing Misaka. Looking forward to getting to know their back story a bit more.

Also:

The OP is awesome, Only My Railgun is such a fantastic music choice.

Annnnd, lastly:

tumblr_nj0kaqy6HG1s20ivko1_500.gif

Last edited:
Back